Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mrs Thatcher 12:52 - Apr 8 with 20314 viewsBartRowou

Dead

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Mrs Thatcher on 14:52 - Apr 8 with 2099 viewsR17ALE

Mrs Thatcher on 14:45 - Apr 8 by SuddenLad

Minority of four. Well said. Great Prime Minister indeed.

It appears from this thread that she divided opinion 50-50.

There's so far 7 for and 7 against!!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Mrs Thatcher on 15:04 - Apr 8 with 2055 viewsSuddenLad

Mrs Thatcher on 14:52 - Apr 8 by R17ALE

Anyone who had to endure the misery of a labour government prior to Thatcher arriving at Number Ten won't ever forget what it was like.

Left wing militants and out of control unions running and ruling the country, families unable to bury their dead because union leaders had a a point to prove, the army shifting rubbish from the streets. What needed to be done, got done.

Margaret Thatcher dealt with problems instead of sidestepping them, she confronted and tackled the issues of the day and she LED from the front. She never shirked from her task and put the country back on the International stage and helped to raise the profile of Great Britain across the globe. That's what leaders should do.

She changed the profile and role of women in public life forever and this country would never be able to repay her for the contribution she made.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Mrs Thatcher on 15:04 - Apr 8 with 2051 viewsScunnydale

Mrs Thatcher on 14:52 - Apr 8 by R17ALE

I think most people are out celebrating.
Mrs Thatcher on 15:04 - Apr 8 with 2050 viewsD_Dale

A horrible political decade, the 1980s. Northern towns and cities allowed to decline while in the south-east bankers, property developers and other assorted spivs filled their boots with cash. Sucking up to Reagan abroad. Murdoch's "Sun" the megaphone for a Tory party bent on selling off gas, water, electricity etc (now much foreign-owned). By 1990 even her own party was sick of her, and replaced her with ............... John Major!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Mrs Thatcher on 15:21 - Apr 8 with 2008 viewsTTNYear

Mrs Thatcher on 15:04 - Apr 8 by D_Dale

A horrible political decade, the 1980s. Northern towns and cities allowed to decline while in the south-east bankers, property developers and other assorted spivs filled their boots with cash. Sucking up to Reagan abroad. Murdoch's "Sun" the megaphone for a Tory party bent on selling off gas, water, electricity etc (now much foreign-owned). By 1990 even her own party was sick of her, and replaced her with ............... John Major!

A horrible political decade. A party elected arse kissing the bands and the celebs of their time, encouraging a benefits culture that is only interested in screwing the country whilst his right hand man stuffs all the gold reserves in a Cash for Gold envelope to get us out of the shit, because we are in a war that was built on half truths and assumptions, when really they had a catapult and a couple of rocks. And who replaced him ............... Oh the gold fella!

Fantastic thing 'spin'. Remind me who 'invented' that?

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Mrs Thatcher on 15:35 - Apr 8 with 1965 viewsdeeplishblue

Mrs Thatcher on 15:04 - Apr 8 by D_Dale

If Mrs T could see that post she would be not for turning in her grave.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Mrs Thatcher on 15:36 - Apr 8 with 1964 viewsroccydaleian

Mrs Thatcher on 15:04 - Apr 8 by SuddenLad

Anyone who had to endure the misery of a labour government prior to Thatcher arriving at Number Ten won't ever forget what it was like.

Left wing militants and out of control unions running and ruling the country, families unable to bury their dead because union leaders had a a point to prove, the army shifting rubbish from the streets. What needed to be done, got done.

Margaret Thatcher dealt with problems instead of sidestepping them, she confronted and tackled the issues of the day and she LED from the front. She never shirked from her task and put the country back on the International stage and helped to raise the profile of Great Britain across the globe. That's what leaders should do.

She changed the profile and role of women in public life forever and this country would never be able to repay her for the contribution she made.

Bang on SL.
R.I.P. Mrs T.
Mrs Thatcher on 15:37 - Apr 8 with 1959 viewsSandyman

I'm sure all the people of the country who benefited from her leadership will be lining up to mourn her.

However, there will be a long line of people who did NOT benefit from her reign who will be rejoicing.

ATAF.
Login to get fewer ads

Mrs Thatcher on 15:51 - Apr 8 with 1927 viewsSuddenLad

Mrs Thatcher on 15:37 - Apr 8 by Sandyman

I'm sure all the people of the country who benefited from her leadership will be lining up to mourn her.

However, there will be a long line of people who did NOT benefit from her reign who will be rejoicing.

ATAF.

Anyone actually 'rejoicing' at the death of a former Prime Minister (of whatever persuasion) is sick in the head. Their opinion isn't worth a carrot.

Mrs Thatcher on 16:29 - Apr 8 with 1870 viewsSandyman

Mrs Thatcher on 15:51 - Apr 8 by SuddenLad

Anyone actually 'rejoicing' at the death of a former Prime Minister (of whatever persuasion) is sick in the head. Their opinion isn't worth a carrot.

Nice avatar BTW
Mrs Thatcher on 16:35 - Apr 8 with 1853 viewssandylaner1

i do admire her balls of absolute steel and she had a conviction that politicans should have but few do thesedays

Mrs Thatcher on 16:48 - Apr 8 with 1823 viewsolympicdale

Mrs Thatcher on 16:35 - Apr 8 by sandylaner1

i do admire her balls of absolute steel and she had a conviction that politicans should have but few do thesedays

Sad news, the country has lost one of the true personalities of the political world, something we probably wont see again for a long time.

I don't remember her personally, but she, as said, stood up for what she believed in and should be applauded for that, so many nowadays spend their time sidestepping issues. She had more balls than Cameron/Clegg put together, and tried to put the country back on the map after a turbulent time when it was on its arse, most politicians will always divide opinion, but at least she never shirked her responsibilities, and stood by what she believed in, no matter who it offended, and she should be commended for that.

RIP Maggie T

Life is a game of fate.

Mrs Thatcher on 16:59 - Apr 8 with 1795 viewssweetcorn

Thatcher's passing reminds me of when Jimmy Savile died. All the miners are celebrating.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Mrs Thatcher on 17:01 - Apr 8 with 1794 viewsNotEyreClue

Being someone who wasn't alive when she was in power, I think it's difficult to comment retrospectively on her reign and look at her policies in isolation when I wasn't around to gauge the feeling of the population and see first hand how much of a mess the country was apparently in.

As radical as her policies seem though, I think it speaks volumes though when you hear countless people commenting on how generous and caring a person she was and this leads me to think that she genuinely believed that what she was doing was absolutely in the nation's best interests, which is of course, very admirable.

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

Mrs Thatcher on 17:05 - Apr 8 with 1785 viewsScunnydale

Mrs Thatcher on 16:59 - Apr 8 by sweetcorn

Thatcher's passing reminds me of when Jimmy Savile died. All the miners are celebrating.

She's also shut down three furnaces already.
Mrs Thatcher on 17:12 - Apr 8 with 1634 viewsBigKindo

Mrs Thatcher on 14:20 - Apr 8 by KenBoon

I'm sure everyone will agree to disagree here (grabs tin hat)

I've always blamed the 'easy money' culture on her. I don't think it was good for us. Nowadays everyone here answers phones but nobody actually makes them. Some of the best engineers in the world are British but there's no car industry. When getting unions in line something went wrong somewhere.

The last figures that I saw we actually currently export more cars than we import.
Mrs Thatcher on 17:19 - Apr 8 with 1617 viewsjudd

Mrs Thatcher on 17:12 - Apr 8 by BigKindo

The last figures that I saw we actually currently export more cars than we import.

That's usually after they have been nicked first...

Poll: What is it to be then?

Mrs Thatcher on 17:25 - Apr 8 with 1598 viewsKenBoon

Re: Hooliganism.
Did Mrs Thatcher really deal with that? Sure she finally did something after the Heysel Stadium Disaster but what happened at home? What happened was Hillsborough a few years later. So what if she appointed Lord Justice Taylor. She was also in charge of a county that allowed the Police to cover up their failings, blame the innocent supporters and oversaw the disgrace of an inquiry. Football should never have been allowed to get into the state it was in. Thugs travelling abroad, dilapidated old stadiums, etc. Basically her first solution was to ignore it. Second was to swing her handbag and punish everyone. Then, when it was too late, she tried to find a solution.
Mrs Thatcher on 17:35 - Apr 8 with 1575 views442Dale

Mrs Thatcher on 17:25 - Apr 8 by KenBoon

Did Mrs Thatcher really deal with that? Sure she finally did something after the Heysel Stadium Disaster but what happened at home? What happened was Hillsborough a few years later. So what if she appointed Lord Justice Taylor. She was also in charge of a county that allowed the Police to cover up their failings, blame the innocent supporters and oversaw the disgrace of an inquiry. Football should never have been allowed to get into the state it was in. Thugs travelling abroad, dilapidated old stadiums, etc. Basically her first solution was to ignore it. Second was to swing her handbag and punish everyone. Then, when it was too late, she tried to find a solution.

Didn't Thatcher and Moynihan want a nationwide membership scheme? Don't think she ever really understood football or its place in the nation's culture.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Mrs Thatcher on 17:45 - Apr 8 with 1554 viewsSuddenLad

Mrs Thatcher on 17:25 - Apr 8 by KenBoon

Heysel was a Belgian problem in conjunction with FIFA. The football authorities here, and individual clubs, failed miserably in sorting out the problems they faced both in terms of hooliganism and ground safety. Only because of those abject failings did the Government step in to try and do something about it.

Whether the Government dealt wholly with hooliganism is a moot point, but there was no way that marauding idiots could be allowed to run riot in the streets and terrify innocent shoppers and shopkeepers every week.

There were many problems for many years before Hillsborough, hence the much criticised perimeter fences.

She also appointed Popplewell to report on the Bradford City fire disaster in 1985 which led to ground improvement legislation. Hopefully we shall never see the likes of that incident again, but it was the Thatcher Government that initiated the legislation.

Football was 'in a state' as you put for years before Thatcher came to office.

Mrs Thatcher on 17:55 - Apr 8 with 1539 viewsisitme

Mrs Thatcher on 15:51 - Apr 8 by SuddenLad

I agree. Although I disagreed with the vast majority of what Blair and Brown did to our country I would never wish for them to die. I do not even wish that on Ed Balls!

Somebody like Thatcher is what the country needs now, not spineless Cameron.
Mrs Thatcher on 18:10 - Apr 8 with 1513 viewsfrenzied

the best weve ever had in my lifetime.......
Mrs Thatcher on 18:20 - Apr 8 with 1487 viewsKenBoon

Mrs Thatcher on 17:55 - Apr 8 by isitme

I agree. Although I disagreed with the vast majority of what Blair and Brown did to our country I would never wish for them to die. I do not even wish that on Ed Balls!

Disagree.

Mrs. Thatcher wasn't just a member of the public, she was a public figure who's actions had a significant impact on everyone's lives and not all good. If people want to despise someone who had such influence and power they should be allowed to, even if it is tasteless. Some will obviously be ill-educated buffoons, but for the sake of free speech they should be allowed to air their buffoonery.

Re: Hooligans. The fact is was so long standing doesn't make the lack of action any better. Every year thugs were travelling abroad, causing mayhem and returning to no punishment. Dangerous stadiums should have been dealt with long before the Valley Parade disaster. We now have banning orders, safer stadiums and generally better policing, but at such a high cost. Lots of people had their heads in the sand and the government was one of them.
Mrs Thatcher on 18:49 - Apr 8 with 1422 viewsdalenumber2

Mrs Thatcher on 17:55 - Apr 8 by isitme

Well I wouldn't wish death on anyone but were you born when Thatcher was destroying the lives of many good working people? I was at uni at the time of the miners' strike and lived with the daughter of one such miner - I will never forget the absolute misery and suffering she caused.
She always put profit before people. Brutal and callous is what she was in my opinion.
Mrs Thatcher on 18:58 - Apr 8 with 1406 viewspl56

Mrs Thatcher on 16:35 - Apr 8 by sandylaner1

That to me sums it up ; at least in those days we had politicians of principle and conviction who had experience of real life , not the privileged mealy mouthed clones of today who will do or say anything to buy a vote , whether they intend to deliver or not .

As a result , in that era , we as voters knew what we were voting for , we had clear choices , and could say yes or no ; the fact that the majority re-elected her as they did suggests that the democratic view was what she was doing was right . There were times when this did not reflect my view at the time , and I still regret the utilities privatisations which have left us at the mercy of overseas multi-nationals and their profiteering . However , like any period of history there were good and bad points , and based on democratic elections over a long period , the majority viewed more good than bad .

I just wish we had the same clear choice and confidence in political manifestos these days .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024