Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thatcher dead 12:56 - Apr 8 with 81337 viewssix_foot_two

Skynews are are saying Magaret Thatcher has died of a stroke
Thatcher dead on 19:49 - Apr 8 with 1986 viewsTheBlob

I'm one of those non-Marmites,I really don't give a f*ck.But she was instrumental in ending the Cold War and destroying the "tyrrany" of Communism a factor in Time magazine's assessment of her as one of the most important figures of the 2oth century.For helping to draw the world back from the brink deserves an honourable mention.

I'm beginning to question why two comets - harbingers of doom and portent - are in the solar system.Spooky huh.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Thatcher dead on 20:00 - Apr 8 with 1951 viewswood_hoop

Very hard not to avoid posting comments on Thatcher, the influence her policies had in my early twenties reverberated through many years of an important part of my life and it must be hard for those of a younger generation to maybe understand just quite why emotions run so high when her name is mentioned.

I can think of no modern day politician (since the war years} that has been so hated and admired almost god like by others, especially so many years after they held power.

A little view on why she had so much influence over the Tory grandees and power brokers when she took over the leadership of the Conservatives was the weakness in their own ranks, was a massive shock when a woman was elected party leader, at a time when woman barely registered above making the coffee and sponge cakes at Tory fundraisers, of course there was the odd exception, but to most Tory traditionilsts a woman as leader was almost sacrilegious.

Thatcher was a like tidal wave when elected PM and like a tsunami once rolling nothing was going to stop her,no matter what the consequences, thats where the problems lay, seems not one of those ministers surrounding her had the balls to stand up to her and many just let her walk all over them, gutless, unprincipled, power hungry cohorts who would not 'rock the boat', there were constant rumours of her crushing debate with ministers, maybe even good reasoned points were dismissed out of hand.

It took untill the Poll Tax riots that even her own party had enough of her Dictatorship and got rid, for someone that at times is put up as the Devil incarnate its amazing she was in power for so long, maybe thats what the Tories are just waiting for, another Thatcher in the wings, male or female.......

Thatcher dead on 20:10 - Apr 8 with 1925 viewsericgen34

I'm celebrating right now

I spent my 11 years in London through the Thatcher years, working in the NHS. What I saw was a shocking, violent government, violently destructing the fabric of society in order to pave the way for its friends to laugh all the way to the bank while disregarding working people as scummy low life

She was the UK's Le Pen (whose death I will also celebrate)
Thatcher dead on 20:42 - Apr 8 with 1886 viewsLblock

Threads like this are good - nail colours to the mast.

All politicians these days morph into one - they are all kuntz.
Back then you were either in one camp, the other or couldnt give a fook.

I was firmly working on Maggies Farm - I worked my nuts off, partied out of my nut and looked to get on at every avenue.
Most of my mates from staunch Labour and Irish decsent families were of the same opinion and they soon morphed from red to blue. One of them is now a millionaire and his family (albeit begrudgingly) acknowledge and accept it was that period which made them what they are.

People talk about social awareness. I'm aware of it now more than ever - the welfare state is aptly described. It's in a far worse state than it was back then; FGB alive and well -- Freeload Great Britain.

As I've said before - the Pay Party Bill aside - cheers Maggie, there'll never be another and the fact almost everyone (even those not alive back then!!) has an opinion speaks volumes. I just cannot imagine the same level of interest at either end of the scale on the passing of Major, Blair (war on a lie all for oil?), Brown (didnt he sell the family gold?) or Cameron....

RIP

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Thatcher dead on 21:31 - Apr 8 with 1822 viewsBlackCrowe

She believed in market forces....you were paid/employed based on what you were worth as opposed to as being/employed paid as a right whether you were any good/neeeded. A mad old bat but the principles, though extreme in execution, were solid enough.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Thatcher dead on 21:37 - Apr 8 with 1804 viewsCiderwithRsie

No PM has been flawless. Churchill, Lloyd George and Attlee were all great PMs but they all had serious character flaws, all had their failures, and they all did things that they shouldn't have done. Same goes for Thatcher.

I was against her most her of time. But I won't dance on anyone's grave:-

No man is an island. Every man's death diminishes me because I am part of mankind.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.
Thatcher dead on 21:53 - Apr 8 with 1784 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 21:37 - Apr 8 by CiderwithRsie

No PM has been flawless. Churchill, Lloyd George and Attlee were all great PMs but they all had serious character flaws, all had their failures, and they all did things that they shouldn't have done. Same goes for Thatcher.

I was against her most her of time. But I won't dance on anyone's grave:-

No man is an island. Every man's death diminishes me because I am part of mankind.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.

Marvellous words from John Donne, but a rather inappropriate epitaph for someone who said 'there is no such thing as society'.

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 22:09 - Apr 8 with 1748 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Good. Shame it didnt happen before interest rates went into double figures and i had to hand the keys to my house back. I hope they do a minutes silence at one of the games so everyone can fekking cheer.

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Thatcher dead on 22:22 - Apr 8 with 1720 viewseasthertsr

TREAD THE DIRT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thatcher dead on 22:31 - Apr 8 with 1698 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 21:53 - Apr 8 by TacticalR

Marvellous words from John Donne, but a rather inappropriate epitaph for someone who said 'there is no such thing as society'.

Well I was waiting for someone to take the "no such thing as society" quote out of context, but I didn't expect it from you TacticalR.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Thatcher dead on 22:35 - Apr 8 with 1686 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thatcher dead on 21:53 - Apr 8 by TacticalR

Well Donne was right and she was wrong! I'd say Donne was the greater human being and his poetry will be remembered when Thatcher is forgotten, or at least a footnote.

But actually she was, if not misquoted, at least misunderstood. If you read the full interview she clearly meant that "society" has no physical existence - it consists of a number of individuals - and therefore individuals must take responsibility for their actions. You can query how far that responsibility goes but its no an unreasonable point and does not imply that society as a concept does not exist.

Of course her other actions did rather leave her open to the misinterpretation.

Good post by you earlier btw.

A nice one from another website:-
"If you lived in Middle England were never unemployed saw your wages rise and inflation drop, bought your council house for less than half price and then watched it triple in value she was probably the bees knees.
If you lived in the North, lost your job and any prospects of another, saw your community go backwards, lived on benefits in a council house that got less and less maintenance from a Council that kept raising the Poll tax and rent, then she probably wasn’t your cup of tea."
Thatcher dead on 22:42 - Apr 8 with 1674 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 22:09 - Apr 8 by UPPERLOFTNZ

Good. Shame it didnt happen before interest rates went into double figures and i had to hand the keys to my house back. I hope they do a minutes silence at one of the games so everyone can fekking cheer.

How was interest rates going into double figures Thatchers fault ??

As with most of the developed world, recession also hit the United Kingdom at the turn of 1980s, although the economy had been plagued by a string of crises for most of the 1970s and unemployment had gradually increased since the mid-1960s.
When the Conservative Party led by Margaret Thatcher won the general election of May 1979 and swept James Callaghan's Labour Party from power, the country had just witnessed the Winter of Discontent in which numerous public sector workers had staged strikes. Inflation was about 10% and some 1,500,000 people were unemployed; compared to some 1,000,000 in 1974, 580,000 in 1970 and just over 300,000 in 1964.[49] Margaret Thatcher set about to control inflation with monetarist policies and change trade union laws in an attempt to reduce the strikes which had blighted Britain for so many years.
Mrs Thatcher's battle against inflation resulted in the closure of many inefficient factories, shipyards and coalpits — mostly during her first four-year term in power. This helped bring inflation below 10% by the turn of 1982 (having peaked at 22% in 1980) and by spring 1983 it had fallen to a 15-year low of 4%. Strikes were also at their lowest level since the early 1950s.

Thatcher dead on 23:09 - Apr 8 with 1633 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thatcher dead on 22:42 - Apr 8 by QPR1882

As with most of the developed world, recession also hit the United Kingdom at the turn of 1980s, although the economy had been plagued by a string of crises for most of the 1970s and unemployment had gradually increased since the mid-1960s.
When the Conservative Party led by Margaret Thatcher won the general election of May 1979 and swept James Callaghan's Labour Party from power, the country had just witnessed the Winter of Discontent in which numerous public sector workers had staged strikes. Inflation was about 10% and some 1,500,000 people were unemployed; compared to some 1,000,000 in 1974, 580,000 in 1970 and just over 300,000 in 1964.[49] Margaret Thatcher set about to control inflation with monetarist policies and change trade union laws in an attempt to reduce the strikes which had blighted Britain for so many years.
Mrs Thatcher's battle against inflation resulted in the closure of many inefficient factories, shipyards and coalpits — mostly during her first four-year term in power. This helped bring inflation below 10% by the turn of 1982 (having peaked at 22% in 1980) and by spring 1983 it had fallen to a 15-year low of 4%. Strikes were also at their lowest level since the early 1950s.

God I'm going to regret this, but take a look at the facts in your own post: "Inflation was about 10%" during the winter of discontent [actually it was 8.3% for 1978] and "peaked at 22% in 1980" [i.e. after Thatcher came to power in 1979] and was "below 10% by the turn of 1982". So within a year she had more than doubled inflation - taking it within 3 points of its all-time high - and it took three years for her to get it back to what it was when she took over.

Inflation in the 1970s rose under Heath - not entirely his fault as the oil crisis took place in 1973 - and was brought down under Labour and Denis Healey, who as TacticalR quite rightly pointed out earlier started the change in economic policy that Thatcher followed. It was Thatcher who put it right up again through her dogmatic insistence that the only way to control money was the money supply, which is utterly discredited, not least of all by the results which you yourself quoted!

The idea that Labour gave us inflation and Thatcher cured it is completely untrue and that's not a matter of opinion, you can go and look up the inflation rates yourself.

As for interest rates going up, it was her fault because, durr, she put them up - the Bank of England was not independent then - and she did so quite deliberately to squeeze the money supply. Even if you think the long term result was worth it, it is a statement of fact that Thatcher put interest rates up. Who else do you think did it?

The point about unions in your post is entirely valid btw - it just has nothing to do with interest rates and not much to do with inflation.
Thatcher dead on 23:09 - Apr 8 with 1629 viewsSpiritofGregory

Thatcher dead on 22:09 - Apr 8 by UPPERLOFTNZ

How was it her fault? That's the chance you take when you are not on a fixed rate mortgage.
Thatcher dead on 23:10 - Apr 8 with 1632 viewsozexile

Thatcher dead on 22:42 - Apr 8 by QPR1882

Excellent thread. Really enjoying people's view points. I was about 16 when she was outed and I was brought up in a household that despised her so its good to read both sides of the coin.
Thatcher dead on 23:21 - Apr 8 with 1610 viewsClive_Anderson

Saw an interesting stat today that in 1983, the mines were costing the UK taxpayer £1.3bn to keep them open which was more than the cost of all the doctors and dentists on the NHS put together.

The fact is that the heavy industries had been declining for decades and were costing the taxpayer a fortune but previous Labour and Tory governments had put off dealing with them in the 60s and 70s. The idea that we'd still be building ships in Liverpool and Glasgow if it wasn't for Thatcher is absurd.
Thatcher dead on 23:36 - Apr 8 with 1592 viewshighlandbill

Thatcher dead on 23:21 - Apr 8 by Clive_Anderson

Saw an interesting stat today that in 1983, the mines were costing the UK taxpayer £1.3bn to keep them open which was more than the cost of all the doctors and dentists on the NHS put together.

The fact is that the heavy industries had been declining for decades and were costing the taxpayer a fortune but previous Labour and Tory governments had put off dealing with them in the 60s and 70s. The idea that we'd still be building ships in Liverpool and Glasgow if it wasn't for Thatcher is absurd.

OK where did you see it? Where are the back up figures? Dont just post stuff which you think supports your views...its worthless.

At my age I should not be doing this!

Thatcher dead on 23:40 - Apr 8 with 1583 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 23:36 - Apr 8 by highlandbill

OK where did you see it? Where are the back up figures? Dont just post stuff which you think supports your views...its worthless.

It was on the BBC Parliament channel today whilst showing coverage of Thatcher from 1984.
Thatcher dead on 23:51 - Apr 8 with 1573 viewsSonofNorfolt

Great Britain.
A nation with 200/300 years of coal reserves that now imports it from places like Australia.
Wasn't a political move was it?
Thatcher dead on 00:11 - Apr 9 with 1554 viewsHollowayRanger

DIDNT DO BAD for a shop keepers daughter

im so called working class and on £20,000 a year after 25 years working so im never going to be rich

except I AM!

THANKS TO HER! and right to buy bought my council flat for £78,000 minus the £50,000 rebate == i paid £28,000 and its now worth £400,000 plus

so thanks maggie RIP

Oh and i never liked school milk so that was no loss and given a choice of thatcher or that tramp foot i knew we made the right choice!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Thatcher dead on 00:25 - Apr 9 with 1543 viewsstowmarketrange

Thatcher dead on 00:11 - Apr 9 by HollowayRanger

im so called working class and on £20,000 a year after 25 years working so im never going to be rich

except I AM!

THANKS TO HER! and right to buy bought my council flat for £78,000 minus the £50,000 rebate == i paid £28,000 and its now worth £400,000 plus

so thanks maggie RIP

Oh and i never liked school milk so that was no loss and given a choice of thatcher or that tramp foot i knew we made the right choice!

You sound like the typical selfish bastard that she was looking for in her plans to make tories out of all of us.
They raped the country of everything they could to sell off cheaply to make sure they kept getting re-elected.
Thatcher dead on 00:26 - Apr 9 with 1542 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 00:11 - Apr 9 by HollowayRanger

except I AM!

so thanks maggie RIP

Good on yer Holloway.

But doesn't that leave the problem of how someone in your position *now*, on an income of £20,000, can afford a £400,000 flat? (And I presume your flat's not a palace).

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 00:29 - Apr 9 with 1538 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 00:25 - Apr 9 by stowmarketrange

You sound like the typical selfish bastard that she was looking for in her plans to make tories out of all of us.
They raped the country of everything they could to sell off cheaply to make sure they kept getting re-elected.

I think you are a little bit unkind there stowmarketrange. The think that's striking to me about Holloway's story is the disparity between his income, which is diminishing in value, and the one valuable asset he has, which he could no longer afford if he was buying from scratch.

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 00:30 - Apr 9 with 1537 viewsClive_Anderson

I think you can thank Uncle Gordon for at least £200,000 of the value of your house after he presided over the biggest housing bubble ever in the UK.

MInd you if you never sell it then you aren't going to be any richer than if your house is still worth what you paid for it.
Thatcher dead on 00:32 - Apr 9 with 1529 viewsTacticalR

And where are lesbian sprogs to live?

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024