Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thatcher dead 12:56 - Apr 8 with 81340 viewssix_foot_two

Skynews are are saying Magaret Thatcher has died of a stroke
Thatcher dead on 18:44 - Apr 10 with 1770 viewsGloucs_R

The greatest prime minister of our time......

Paddy Ashdown just made that comment.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Thatcher dead on 19:02 - Apr 10 with 1759 viewsR_from_afar

Thatcher dead on 16:14 - Apr 10 by TheBlob

Tesla is supposed to be responsible for such a device - taps atmospheric energy.

Anyway,get your picks and shovels out.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/9975652/Shale-gas-could-heat-all-ho

It's not as promising as it looks, my friend. There will be hellish planning issues in the UK because we have a much higher population density than the US; we will have those issues whether or not shale gas is fund to definitely cause earth tremors and pollute water sources

Then there's the fact that shale gas is still a fossil fuel, with all the attendant problems....

What would Maggie do (back on topic briefly :) )?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Thatcher dead on 19:07 - Apr 10 with 1752 viewsTheBlob

Thatcher dead on 19:02 - Apr 10 by R_from_afar

It's not as promising as it looks, my friend. There will be hellish planning issues in the UK because we have a much higher population density than the US; we will have those issues whether or not shale gas is fund to definitely cause earth tremors and pollute water sources

Then there's the fact that shale gas is still a fossil fuel, with all the attendant problems....

What would Maggie do (back on topic briefly :) )?

RFA

So fracking is a short term fix.It's either that or having the punters marching on Downing Street when the lights go out.I don't accept nuclear is sporadic - depends on what kind of reactor you use.And it'll be a fill - in until you humans finally decide to mine Helium3 on our nearest celestial body.

Maggie would have approved - more privately sourced wonga for the UK.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Thatcher dead on 19:16 - Apr 10 with 1743 viewslondonscottish

Thatcher dead on 16:34 - Apr 10 by Snipper

Another thing that really pissed me off about her, she got Dennis awarded a hereditary knighthood. It's already been passed onto her son.

She really hated her working class roots and ensured the title is passed down the generations.

Bitch. .

Ahhh so that explains the knighthood. I was reading the Standard earlier about how Mark and Carol had decisded to retrurn to the UK then it said that someone called Sir Mark was commenting on the funeral arrangements. Read it and read it three times before realising that Mark was now a "sir". FFS....

As for hating here working class roots that would explain the ridiculously affected way that she spoke.

I was also reminded today that she'd imposed the poll tax on Scotland first. The hate is returning in force.....

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Thatcher dead on 19:29 - Apr 10 with 1732 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 16:34 - Apr 10 by Snipper

Another thing that really pissed me off about her, she got Dennis awarded a hereditary knighthood. It's already been passed onto her son.

She really hated her working class roots and ensured the title is passed down the generations.

Bitch. .

Thatcher did not have working class roots.

"Almost everything said of Thatcher's early years was untrue, partly through her own invention. She was the daughter of a prosperous civic leader who merely began life as a "grocer". She went to a fee-paying school and to Oxford at her father's expense, gliding easily into the upper echelons of student politics."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-wet-transf

(The author of the article, disillusioned conservative Simon Jenkins, was a researcher for Conservative MP Edward Boyle in the 1960s, and was also editor of The Times in the early 1990s).

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 19:52 - Apr 10 with 1709 viewsTHEBUSH

Thatcher dead on 16:09 - Apr 10 by hoopstilidie

So she was right to close them then by that reasoning. No?

In some ways yes, as it was a cleaner and more efficient way to produce energy.
The downside is that, Power Stations need huge amounts of natural gas to sustain them and used up our resources very quickly.
It would have been far better to use that gas in homes etc., as would have lasted far longer.
Thatcher dead on 20:24 - Apr 10 with 1688 viewseasthertsr

Having read all this thread, one point has not been mentioned, under Thatcher the rich got richer and the poor got poorer. And being poor was demonized for the first time, it was a horrible, hateful time with people turning against each other in every section of society. All down to that spiteful woman and her wicked, nasty policies. I was 24 when she came to power and 11 years later when she left office my country was a nastier, greedier, more violent place to live.
Thatcher dead on 20:32 - Apr 10 with 1682 viewsMrSheen

Thatcher dead on 19:29 - Apr 10 by TacticalR

Thatcher did not have working class roots.

"Almost everything said of Thatcher's early years was untrue, partly through her own invention. She was the daughter of a prosperous civic leader who merely began life as a "grocer". She went to a fee-paying school and to Oxford at her father's expense, gliding easily into the upper echelons of student politics."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-wet-transf

(The author of the article, disillusioned conservative Simon Jenkins, was a researcher for Conservative MP Edward Boyle in the 1960s, and was also editor of The Times in the early 1990s).

Simon Jenkins' claims are difficult to corroborate. As he writes for about three different papers at once, that isn't so surprising.

I've dug out my old copy of Hugo Young's "One of Us", which can't be considered a hagiography. Young describes Alfred Roberts as the son of a Northampton shoemaker who left school at 13. He owned a grocery shop at the time of Margaret's birth, and bought another before the war (which started when she was 13). She was born and raised in a flat over the original shop.

As Young puts it, "She used to cite as evidence for the grinding poverty of her origins the lack of both a lavatory and running hot water in the house until after the war. Although this was the norm in her part of Grantham, it cannot have been due, in the Robert's case, to a straightforward lack of money...she was reared in spartan circumstances as much because of Alfred's belief in self-denial as because he started poor...what Margaret would frequently describe in later years as the disadvantaged background from which she sprang would in fact have been more accurately described as a home of aggressive thrift."

As for her education, she went to the local primary school, then to Kesteven & Grantham Girls Grammar School. "As a grant-aided grammar school, Kesteven normally required parents to pay half the fees, but Margaret secured a county scholarship."

Interestingly, the Roberts took in a young Jewish girl who was a refugee from the Anschluss in Austria for a while in 1938. It's not recorded if she enjoyed the experience.
Login to get fewer ads

Thatcher dead on 20:57 - Apr 10 with 1654 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 20:32 - Apr 10 by MrSheen

Simon Jenkins' claims are difficult to corroborate. As he writes for about three different papers at once, that isn't so surprising.

I've dug out my old copy of Hugo Young's "One of Us", which can't be considered a hagiography. Young describes Alfred Roberts as the son of a Northampton shoemaker who left school at 13. He owned a grocery shop at the time of Margaret's birth, and bought another before the war (which started when she was 13). She was born and raised in a flat over the original shop.

As Young puts it, "She used to cite as evidence for the grinding poverty of her origins the lack of both a lavatory and running hot water in the house until after the war. Although this was the norm in her part of Grantham, it cannot have been due, in the Robert's case, to a straightforward lack of money...she was reared in spartan circumstances as much because of Alfred's belief in self-denial as because he started poor...what Margaret would frequently describe in later years as the disadvantaged background from which she sprang would in fact have been more accurately described as a home of aggressive thrift."

As for her education, she went to the local primary school, then to Kesteven & Grantham Girls Grammar School. "As a grant-aided grammar school, Kesteven normally required parents to pay half the fees, but Margaret secured a county scholarship."

Interestingly, the Roberts took in a young Jewish girl who was a refugee from the Anschluss in Austria for a while in 1938. It's not recorded if she enjoyed the experience.

Interesting. I was also reacting against another post right at the beginning of this thread, which seemed to imply she wasn't an Oxbridge politician:

'Unlike the Oxbridge educated career politicians of today who are spineless and couldn't give a f@ck about the country'.

It reminded me a bit of the Monty Python advert for 'Victoria Regina', 'the inspiring tale of the simple crofter's daughter who worked her way up to become Queen of England and Empress of the Greatest Empire television has ever seen'.

Simon Jenkins' book 'Accountable to None: The Tory Nationalization of Britain' got a very favourable review from Hugo Young:

'An important book, because it brings together, with an insider's authority and anecdotage, both a narrative of domestic Thatcherism and a polemic against its pretensions...an indispensable guide to the corruptions of power and language which have sustained the illusion that Thatcherism was an attack on "government".'

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 21:16 - Apr 10 with 1633 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 20:24 - Apr 10 by easthertsr

Having read all this thread, one point has not been mentioned, under Thatcher the rich got richer and the poor got poorer. And being poor was demonized for the first time, it was a horrible, hateful time with people turning against each other in every section of society. All down to that spiteful woman and her wicked, nasty policies. I was 24 when she came to power and 11 years later when she left office my country was a nastier, greedier, more violent place to live.

Poor got poorer ?

She gave everybody,not just the rich the opportunity to own their own house.

How many poor people nowdays can afford the £60k deposit to own their own house ?
Thatcher dead on 21:34 - Apr 10 with 1609 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Thatcher dead on 21:16 - Apr 10 by QPR1882

Poor got poorer ?

She gave everybody,not just the rich the opportunity to own their own house.

How many poor people nowdays can afford the £60k deposit to own their own house ?

You only got the opportunity to own your own house if you were already living in a council house. Huge discounts given. Anyone else had to struggle for a mortgage with high interest rates, much the same as now. Although rates lower, prices hugely inflated since then. Big struggle for first time buyers now.
Thatcher dead on 21:48 - Apr 10 with 1587 viewsStanisgod

Thatcher dead on 18:01 - Apr 10 by Gloucs_R

No offence taken. Always open to being educated, the basis of every debate.

I work for a manufacturer but nowhere near the shop floor.

Ah, I gathered that by your 35k tax paid comment earlier on. The boy obviously done good, fair play mate.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Thatcher dead on 21:49 - Apr 10 with 1585 viewshighlandbill

Thatcher dead on 18:44 - Apr 10 by Gloucs_R

The greatest prime minister of our time......

Paddy Ashdown just made that comment.

Ah! Paddy Pantsdown ! Just the person to make a statement no sensible person would give credibility to.

At my age I should not be doing this!

Thatcher dead on 21:55 - Apr 10 with 1572 viewsWatfordR

Judy Garland's 'Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead' is heading for a top 10 entry in this week's Official Singles Chart following a Facebook campaign to get the song to Number One on the same week Margaret Thatcher died.

Tut tut.
Thatcher dead on 22:00 - Apr 10 with 1566 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 21:49 - Apr 10 by highlandbill

Ah! Paddy Pantsdown ! Just the person to make a statement no sensible person would give credibility to.

A fellow militarist, it's not surprising he would admire Thatcher.

A failure in British politics, he was made King of Bosnia by the UN.

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 22:05 - Apr 10 with 1553 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 21:34 - Apr 10 by Sudbury_Hill_R

You only got the opportunity to own your own house if you were already living in a council house. Huge discounts given. Anyone else had to struggle for a mortgage with high interest rates, much the same as now. Although rates lower, prices hugely inflated since then. Big struggle for first time buyers now.

Intrest rates were at an all time high before Thatcher, so home owners ( me included at that time ) were struggling already.

As i said she gave the poor a chance to own their own house.
Thatcher dead on 22:09 - Apr 10 with 1541 viewsdaveB

i find it all a but sad that so many are celebrating her death, like most PM's she did some very good and some pretty bad things in her time but she deserves respect which is sadly something lacking in this country these days.

I'm not sure why everything in the 80's is her fault though as if she had no advisers, no cabinet ministers working with her who were just as much to blame for many of the decsions made.
Thatcher dead on 22:11 - Apr 10 with 1533 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Thatcher dead on 22:05 - Apr 10 by QPR1882

Intrest rates were at an all time high before Thatcher, so home owners ( me included at that time ) were struggling already.

As i said she gave the poor a chance to own their own house.

Interest rates are not my real point. The fact was if you didn't live in a council house you got no discount of tens of thousands of pounds to buy a house. Everyone else struggled especially after house prices boomed as a consequence.

I'm not knocking it, merely stating fact.
Thatcher dead on 22:13 - Apr 10 with 1529 viewsderbyhoop

Whatever your politics there is little doubt that she was divisive. Hence the anti thatcher demonstrations. If she hadn't been out of the public eye for years, it would have been worse. But as our first, and so far only, female PM, who held the position for 11 years, she demands respect. Even Ed Milliband struck the right tone in the parliamentary debate.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Thatcher dead on 22:14 - Apr 10 with 1527 viewseasthertsr

Yes the poor DID get poorer under Thatcher, check the figures the first time that had happened in modern times. An absolute disgrace.
Thatcher dead on 22:18 - Apr 10 with 1517 viewsqprmick

Being asset rich with your council house, doesn't buy the groceries or pay the bills. You could sell it if you lose your job, and pay exorbitant rent from your windfall. There goes the kid's inheritance.

Qprmick

Thatcher dead on 22:19 - Apr 10 with 1512 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 22:11 - Apr 10 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Interest rates are not my real point. The fact was if you didn't live in a council house you got no discount of tens of thousands of pounds to buy a house. Everyone else struggled especially after house prices boomed as a consequence.

Fact is everyone of us do the lottery because we want to get to a level higher then we are now. MT allowed council tenants the chance to do that.

I was only answering an original post accusing MT of making the rich richer and the poor poorer, which is absolute bollox.

Thatcher dead on 22:22 - Apr 10 with 1503 viewskensalriser

Thatcher dead on 22:11 - Apr 10 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Well, in a way you did, through MIRAS (mortgage interest relief at source). This was effectively a tax break given to people who took out a mortgage paid for by people who didn't. Introduced by a Labour Government, by the way.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Thatcher dead on 22:23 - Apr 10 with 1497 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 22:18 - Apr 10 by qprmick

Being asset rich with your council house, doesn't buy the groceries or pay the bills. You could sell it if you lose your job, and pay exorbitant rent from your windfall. There goes the kid's inheritance.

Making someone who could never afford their own home a home owner made you feel important,gave you a bit of pride.

By the way you could not sell your property for a profit for 5 years after you had brought it.

So getting the tin tack and selling up and banking the profit was never an option.
Thatcher dead on 22:29 - Apr 10 with 1488 viewskensalriser

Thatcher dead on 22:23 - Apr 10 by QPR1882

Making someone who could never afford their own home a home owner made you feel important,gave you a bit of pride.

By the way you could not sell your property for a profit for 5 years after you had brought it.

So getting the tin tack and selling up and banking the profit was never an option.

The right to buy was originally a Liberal policy that involved using the proceeds to build new social housing. The tories took the policy and perverted it by removing the back end and effectively using it as a gerrymandering policy. There's no doubt that it was one the factors that fuelled the subsequent property boom. I don't really blame anyone for taking advantage of it, but that doesn't change the fact that it was free money for some paid for by others.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024