Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thatcher dead 12:56 - Apr 8 with 82429 viewssix_foot_two

Skynews are are saying Magaret Thatcher has died of a stroke
Thatcher dead on 09:24 - Apr 12 with 1696 viewsCliff

Thatcher dead on 08:58 - Apr 12 by pomanjou

The poll tax. A totally justified tax to make everybody pay rather than those qualifying on an arbitrary basis. I'd bring it in tomoro.

Then you're a fool
Thatcher dead on 09:26 - Apr 12 with 1689 viewsBlackCrowe

Thatcher dead on 09:16 - Apr 12 by nadera78

That's oh so funny.

Tell me, was it only miners who were screwed over by Thatcher? No, of course it wasn't.

What about those in their twenties who were born to parents thrown on the scrapheap by Thatcher? Who grew up in communities that have still not recovered from her policies?

But that's okay, you borrowed a funny picture from someone else and posted it on a forum. Well done you.

Apparently Thatch closed around 1400 mines whereas Harold Wilson closed just under 4,000. Why didn't the miners celebrate his death - genuine question?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Thatcher dead on 09:31 - Apr 12 with 1681 viewsstevec

Thatcher dead on 09:09 - Apr 12 by BrianMcCarthy

John and Pom,

I'll try. Isn't a basic tenet of taxation that it be equitable, and that it therefore be structured based on the relative ability to pay?

VAT and the Poll Tax were charged with being inherently inequitable as they are/were aimed at disposable income, in their cases weekly shopping and rent/mortgages. As those with lower incomes spend a greater amount of their disposable incomes than those with higher incomes, this hits them not just equally but harder.

On the other end of the scale is inheritance tax, which is clearly a tax on wealth and nothing else.

In between is what's held by most economists I've read as the most equitable tax of all - income tax.

Could never understand why Thatcher thought poll tax was a good idea, as you say, the sensible thing was to remove rates and gather it via income tax.
Tory policy was always to keep income tax rates down so perhaps it was ideology.

Strange, though, that no other party since has tried to reform via income tax.
Thatcher dead on 09:36 - Apr 12 with 1672 viewsnadera78

Thatcher dead on 09:26 - Apr 12 by BlackCrowe

Apparently Thatch closed around 1400 mines whereas Harold Wilson closed just under 4,000. Why didn't the miners celebrate his death - genuine question?

I've answered this already on this thread. The mines closed in the 60's and 70's were all exhausted or only had coal left that couldn't be reached. The majority of the miners affected moved to other mines. Plus, the 60's was a time of full employment so it was relatively easy to leave one job and find another soon after.

You also have to consider the way Thatcher went about doing it. The stockpiling of coal over the previous few years and the massive hike in Police pay when every other public sector worker was seeing the opposite, both in preparation for a trap she was setting for the NUM. Which Scargill waked into. The lies spread via her friends in the media (including the Trotskyite BBC - see Orgreave reporting), the attacks on strikers by police, the alleged use of soldiers in police uniforms. It all adds up and it's eft a legacy of communities that have never recovered and also families and friendships destroyed by the choices people were forced to make at the time.
Thatcher dead on 09:42 - Apr 12 with 1660 viewsGloucs_R

Now I am a Thatcher fan but £10m on her funeral

No way in the world should we be spending that on her. That's ridiculous.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Thatcher dead on 09:59 - Apr 12 with 1581 viewsTheBlob

Perhaps in retrospect it was a Good Thing the mines were closed,after all they contribute greatly to Global Warming.
Or is that too much of a dichotomy for you lefties?

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Thatcher dead on 10:06 - Apr 12 with 1569 viewsHantsR

Thatcher dead on 08:58 - Apr 12 by pomanjou

The poll tax. A totally justified tax to make everybody pay rather than those qualifying on an arbitrary basis. I'd bring it in tomoro.

I believe the poll tax failed because, regardless of its merits or shortcomings,it was ultimately simply too difficult to administer and collect. Houses remain fixed whereas people move around and are difficult to pin down for tax purposes.

It was conceived based on the perceived iniquity of a household with many dwellers, cars, use of public services etc. paying the same rates as a single dweller.
Thatcher dead on 10:14 - Apr 12 with 1560 viewsCliff

Thatcher dead on 09:59 - Apr 12 by TheBlob

Perhaps in retrospect it was a Good Thing the mines were closed,after all they contribute greatly to Global Warming.
Or is that too much of a dichotomy for you lefties?

At present 38.4% of electricity production in the UK is by burning coal. In 2012 we consumed 64 million tonnes, but only produced 16.8 Mt. The vast majority of the rest (40.7 Mt) was imported from Russia, USA and Columbia. Burning Gas in responsible for another 27.7% of electricity production.

This means we are relying just as much on fossil fuels as ever, only now we have to transport a significant proportion of it from half way across the world, which raises its carbon footprint even more.

Or is that too many facts for you righties?

Login to get fewer ads

Thatcher dead on 10:16 - Apr 12 with 1555 viewseasthertsr

Because he didn't cast them aside with f*ck all, Thatcher had no time for those who didn't support her, she didn't give a flying f*ck about the poor or their kids.
Thatcher dead on 10:17 - Apr 12 with 1554 viewsElHoop

Thatcher dead on 09:42 - Apr 12 by Gloucs_R

Can't we charge it against the EU Rebate account in the books?

Debit: EU Rebate account £10m
Credit: Funeral Costs account £10m

I reckon that the EU rebate account will still be in credit, just.

Thatcher dead on 10:41 - Apr 12 with 1522 viewsCliff

Thatcher dead on 10:17 - Apr 12 by ElHoop

Can't we charge it against the EU Rebate account in the books?

Debit: EU Rebate account £10m
Credit: Funeral Costs account £10m

I reckon that the EU rebate account will still be in credit, just.

A lot is made of the UK rebate, but it's not just us that get it Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands and Austria already get rebates and Denmark is being added to the list. The value is calculated via a formula looking at the differences between contributions to the EU and benefits gained.

Also do you really think in these times of austerity that this is a sensible use of public finances.
Thatcher dead on 10:45 - Apr 12 with 1520 viewsStraightR

This.

I had just started work when she came to power and lived through the Thatcher years. I did support what she was doing at the time but now think, with the benefit of hindsight of course, that whilst she did some things right, she got a lot of things wrong. Like most people do. I do have a problem with a ceremonial funeral for a politician, of whatever persuasion, though.
Thatcher dead on 10:50 - Apr 12 with 1514 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 17:28 - Apr 11 by Cliff

You say that was exactly your point, but I don't know what your point is. If my wages go up, but at a slower rate than inflation by your definition would I be better off? -I might have more money, but I could afford less food.

So what was the definition of poverty before her opponents changed it, and do you have any figures to show how that definition varied during her years in power?

The poors wages did go up faster than inflation:

They used to use absolute poverty as a measure, which was checking to see whether people had enough money to fulfil lifes basic needs. Now relative poverty is used which has its own flaws. For example if you have 9 millionaires and a billionaire in a room, then 9 of them are suffering from poverty relative to the other one. In other words it doesn't take into account what their purchasing power is, so if the country as a whole gets richer it doesn't alleviate this definition of poverty.

Edit: Also when a countrys economy falls to pieces often relative poverty goes down as the middle class is wiped out and people lose their lifes savings but in reality poverty increases massively as people no longer can afford to eat or heat their homes.
Thatcher dead on 10:51 - Apr 12 with 1511 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 09:36 - Apr 12 by nadera78

I've answered this already on this thread. The mines closed in the 60's and 70's were all exhausted or only had coal left that couldn't be reached. The majority of the miners affected moved to other mines. Plus, the 60's was a time of full employment so it was relatively easy to leave one job and find another soon after.

You also have to consider the way Thatcher went about doing it. The stockpiling of coal over the previous few years and the massive hike in Police pay when every other public sector worker was seeing the opposite, both in preparation for a trap she was setting for the NUM. Which Scargill waked into. The lies spread via her friends in the media (including the Trotskyite BBC - see Orgreave reporting), the attacks on strikers by police, the alleged use of soldiers in police uniforms. It all adds up and it's eft a legacy of communities that have never recovered and also families and friendships destroyed by the choices people were forced to make at the time.

So every single one of the 4,000 mines closed under Harold Wilson had been exhasted, but none of the 1,400 ones under Thatcher were?

That seems pretty unlikely to me.
Thatcher dead on 10:52 - Apr 12 with 1502 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 10:16 - Apr 12 by easthertsr

Because he didn't cast them aside with f*ck all, Thatcher had no time for those who didn't support her, she didn't give a flying f*ck about the poor or their kids.

Genuine question here, what did Harold Wilson do for those that lost their jobs in the mining industry that Thatcher didn't?
Thatcher dead on 10:55 - Apr 12 with 1493 viewsElHoop

Thatcher dead on 10:41 - Apr 12 by Cliff

A lot is made of the UK rebate, but it's not just us that get it Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands and Austria already get rebates and Denmark is being added to the list. The value is calculated via a formula looking at the differences between contributions to the EU and benefits gained.

Also do you really think in these times of austerity that this is a sensible use of public finances.

I can see that it's a lot of money and clearly she was a very divisive figure, but I think that her death has caused a lot of analysis of the political scene then and now, not least on here, and hopefully we'll get more than £10m worth of value from that process. She was a world figure and was respected more abroad than at home so if the world wants to pay its respects then that's fine by me. I dare say that if the state wouldn't pay then someone else would have done.
Thatcher dead on 10:58 - Apr 12 with 1483 viewsJuzzie

The wages may have gone up more than infaltion but housing prices (both buying and renting) have gone up 50% higher than wages so everyone is effectively worse off especially as paying off a mortgae or paying rent is still the biggest monthly outgoing most people have.

Thatcher dead on 11:02 - Apr 12 with 1473 viewsdoogi55

what you have to think about what if blair dies he will have to have the same funeral.
has he did a lot for the country
Thatcher dead on 11:03 - Apr 12 with 1470 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 09:16 - Apr 12 by nadera78

That's oh so funny.

Tell me, was it only miners who were screwed over by Thatcher? No, of course it wasn't.

What about those in their twenties who were born to parents thrown on the scrapheap by Thatcher? Who grew up in communities that have still not recovered from her policies?

But that's okay, you borrowed a funny picture from someone else and posted it on a forum. Well done you.

I was in my 20's when Thatcher was in power.

I decided to go to work instead of rebelling and becoming a punk, there was plenty of jobs if you could be bothered looking.

Guess some did and others did not, some made excuses others got on with life.
Thatcher dead on 11:03 - Apr 12 with 1466 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 10:58 - Apr 12 by Juzzie

The wages may have gone up more than infaltion but housing prices (both buying and renting) have gone up 50% higher than wages so everyone is effectively worse off especially as paying off a mortgae or paying rent is still the biggest monthly outgoing most people have.

Well I completely agree with the fact that house prices have ruined the working poor in this country. But the main house price inflation came in the 2000s over a decade after she left office and in 1997 prices were still very reasonable.

We need someone who will now take on the bankers, the corporations and the landed gentry.
Thatcher dead on 11:06 - Apr 12 with 1464 viewsnadera78

Thatcher dead on 10:51 - Apr 12 by Clive_Anderson

So every single one of the 4,000 mines closed under Harold Wilson had been exhasted, but none of the 1,400 ones under Thatcher were?

That seems pretty unlikely to me.

Every single one? I don't know. But more or less. The studies on the coal reserves were pretty conclusive in the 80's. There was still lots of coal to be worked out, with some of them holding enough for many, many decades.
Thatcher dead on 11:06 - Apr 12 with 1464 viewsNW5Hoop

Those figures are wrong. We didn't have that many mines. Nowhere near.
But the basic point is right: mine closures were not greater in number in the 80s than in the 70s and 60s. The difference was that in the 80s they were closed in a much shorter span of time, and no provision was made for retraining or re-employing the people who were laid off in the 80s, whereas there had been in the 60s and 70s. So the miners who lost their jobs in the 60s and 70s were helped into finding a future. The miners who lost their jobs in the 80s were told: f*ck you.
Thatcher dead on 11:10 - Apr 12 with 1447 viewspomanjou

Despite being a supporter of Thatch I think its a disgrace that such a massive amount should be spent on her funeral.

Having lived thru WWII and it would have been a travesty of the highest order if Skargill and his commie chums had won and for me it was just as important, if not more so, than The Falklands battle.

Skargills lasting legacy is thousands of men with emphesyma and other lung deseases which if he had had is way would now be infecting their kids as well. He was an evil man with ego and ambition much bigger (fortunately) than his brain.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Thatcher dead on 11:10 - Apr 12 with 1442 viewsHunterhoop

Thatcher dead on 10:52 - Apr 12 by Clive_Anderson

Genuine question here, what did Harold Wilson do for those that lost their jobs in the mining industry that Thatcher didn't?

Jesus H Christ. Nadera has answered this point at least 5 times.

In fact every time I log on and read just one page of this thread I seem to see someone asking this question and him answering it.

READ OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS PROPERLY.

The point is the mines that Wilson shut were exhausted. Most miners moved to the remaining mines quite easily. And due to employment levels were easily able to get another job.

Whereas Thatcher, when she closed the mines, effectively closed the industry. There weren't other mines miners could go to. And because unemployment was higher there were fewer employment alternatives.

So Wilson didn't need to do anything because there was nothing to be done for miners when he shut mines.

When Thatcher shut mines, whilst she shut fewer, there was nowhere for miners to go. She knews this, didn't care and did nothing to help them find employment and provide for their families.

That is why there is more hate for Thatcher from miners and their relatives. It really isn't complicated nor needs the same question asked every 10 posts or so.
Thatcher dead on 11:13 - Apr 12 with 1427 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 11:06 - Apr 12 by nadera78

Every single one? I don't know. But more or less. The studies on the coal reserves were pretty conclusive in the 80's. There was still lots of coal to be worked out, with some of them holding enough for many, many decades.

If that was the case then you'd expect an increase in the rate of decline in mining production when Thatcher was in power, but if anything it declined slower

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024