Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thatcher dead 12:56 - Apr 8 with 81344 viewssix_foot_two

Skynews are are saying Magaret Thatcher has died of a stroke
Thatcher dead on 14:29 - Apr 8 with 1965 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

just lob her in the thames

Psycho killer Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Thatcher dead on 14:29 - Apr 8 with 1952 viewsFredManRave

Thatcher dead on 14:19 - Apr 8 by stowmarketrange

So if were being unjustly treated at work and possibly victimised and bullied,who would you turn to for help?

Who did Bosingwa turn to?

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Thatcher dead on 14:30 - Apr 8 with 1941 viewsClive_Anderson

Thatcher dead on 13:51 - Apr 8 by TacticalR

Oddly enough, I've been thinking about Thatcher over the last few days because her name seems to crop up here fairly regularly.

1) I can understand why people hate Thatcher, but I believe they do so for the wrong reasons. A lot of people hate her because they see her actions as arising from the sheer brutality of her personality. In fact the British establishment had already abandoned classical Keynesianism prior to Thatcher. Conservative Prime Minster Ted Heath had tried to put through 'Thatcherite' measures (without much success) in the early 1970s. Labour Prime Minister James Callaghan signalled the abandonment of Keynesianism in 1976:
'We used to think that you could spend your way out of a recession and increase employment by cutting taxes and boosting government spending. I tell you in all candour that that option no longer exists.'

In other words, the actions of Thatcher, far from being dictated by individual psychology, were dictated by attempts to do whatever was necessary to revive British capitalism.

2) While Thatcher won all her battles and 'saw off' her opponents, it has become more obvious than ever that she lost the war: Thatcher completely failed in her primary goal of reviving British capitalism.

I think British capitalism was in much better shape in 1997 than it was in 1979.

In fact the country's finances were doing quite well. House prices were low, unemployment was low as was inflation, the economy was growing and the UK was heading towards a surplus.
Thatcher dead on 14:34 - Apr 8 with 1911 viewsthemodfather

Thatcher dead on 14:30 - Apr 8 by Clive_Anderson

I think British capitalism was in much better shape in 1997 than it was in 1979.

In fact the country's finances were doing quite well. House prices were low, unemployment was low as was inflation, the economy was growing and the UK was heading towards a surplus.

a controversial figure...to some she gave them a chance to but a "council" home for a tory vote ( hence hosuing crisis today??), she kept the falklands british ans stood up to brussels.
however mass unemployment, near civil war with the miners and unions, cities rioting will be the viewpoint of others.
scottish oil and gas started the revival and would have under any govt.

i reckon some will ask for a state funeral!
Thatcher dead on 14:37 - Apr 8 with 1882 viewsfinney

As we speak history is being re wrote and people asking for a state funeral.
I take no joy in the death of anyone not even her that said she messed up so many lives.
And all those who say good things about her i will hold my words which is unlike me.
But the day she goes into the ground people will be kicking off on both sides there will be trouble.
No tears from me that is for sure.
Satan will be shitting himself like many of us hes just lost his job because of Thatcher.
Thatcher dead on 14:38 - Apr 8 with 1872 viewsdoogi55

a great politician knows when to take advice that was her biggest downfall.
falklands she had no choice there really.
70s the left and unions where out of control
sell the council house but didnt build new ones with the money stupid short term policy.
privitise the utiltys we paying the price for that policy now.
then we have the poll tax stupid policy always going to end up in trouble.
Thatcher dead on 14:39 - Apr 8 with 1865 viewsSomersetHoops

Oh and another thing she did was to put that ars*hole Michael Edwardes in charge of the failing British car industry, which ensured it did die off. She should have picked someone to bring it back to life rather than what she did which was to nail down the coffin. Now all our car industry is controlled by foreign countries who can abandon us when they find other places cheaper than here to set up their plants.

This will be a major threat to our manufacturing as the new countries where labour costs are a third or less than ours, get established in the EU.

Who's Next?

Thatcher dead on 14:39 - Apr 8 with 1865 viewssmegma

Thatcher dead on 14:10 - Apr 8 by RangersAreBack

The country was in the doldrums when she rocked up. Record inflation, high taxation, record levels of debt, economy controlled by the IMF, rubbish not being collected and strikes left, right and centre. She performed miracles under the circumstances.

My family managed to drag itself out of poverty thanks to hard work coupled with the opportunity to buy our council home and shares in the former state-owned businesses. Today my reward for hard work is to watch bone-idol people being gifted social housing in prime locations.

Manufacturing was creaking at the seams when she took office, thanks in part to damaging strikes (a la British Leyland). Again she answered the critics call by moving the country towards a new age. The City, in particular, became one of the most vibrant and successful financial centres in the world.

Ulitimately her rejection of consensus cost her but it's worth remembering that she was the first female Prime Minister in a male dominated world when the "equality" buzz word didn't exist.

You missed the bit it where she managed to treble unemployment in her first term as PM when Saatch & Saatchi produced a poster for the 79 election with a picture of a dole queue and the words 'Labours Not Working'. No other PM has been able to achieve this feat before her or since, so congratulations are in order.

And selling off council houses and not replacing them is a problem that is still around today , some 30 years after the policy was introduced. Very happy you got out of poverty on the back of selling off all the countries assets but look at the state we are in today. We were told back then by selling off the utility companies it would lead to cheaper prices for all consumers of electricity, gas,water & telephones when the complete opposite has happened. We were told the discovery of North Sea Oil would mean cheaper prices at the petrol pumps ? Yeah right.
She may have stood up to the EEC (EU) but remember it was her predecessor Heath who got us into in the first place. Since then EVERY PM of either colour rozette has kowtowed to Brussels as they're all the same, only in it for themselves.
Login to get fewer ads

Thatcher dead on 14:39 - Apr 8 with 1861 viewsBedford_R

I am sorry for her kids and granchildren and other family members. I'm sure she will be missed by them. They'll be sad that the grand old lady has passed away.

As for her politics I am glad she is gone. She destroyed our northern and manufacturing industries. She decimated our unions. In my early working life I was terrified of her and her fascist ways. When labour came to power after that Tory reign she started I punched the air with joy...

I have been affected in my working life by her and her policies. I was employed by one of the industries she had privatised. I was made redundant from that company unjustly. It was my union that stood up for me and I sued the buggers twice and won twice - they won't be doing that again. None of this would have happened if that company was still in national hands. Just glad she hasn't totally killed off the union movement.

Rot in hell you sick twisted biatch.......

RMH_R Reborn

Thatcher dead on 14:41 - Apr 8 with 1849 viewsBedford_R

Thatcher dead on 14:37 - Apr 8 by finney

As we speak history is being re wrote and people asking for a state funeral.
I take no joy in the death of anyone not even her that said she messed up so many lives.
And all those who say good things about her i will hold my words which is unlike me.
But the day she goes into the ground people will be kicking off on both sides there will be trouble.
No tears from me that is for sure.
Satan will be shitting himself like many of us hes just lost his job because of Thatcher.

+1

RMH_R Reborn

Thatcher dead on 14:41 - Apr 8 with 1848 viewswombat

Ghostbusters !!!!

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Thatcher dead on 14:42 - Apr 8 with 1833 viewsElHoop

Finney says:

This is Britain, not Northern Ireland.
Thatcher dead on 14:44 - Apr 8 with 1817 viewssmegma

Thatcher dead on 14:42 - Apr 8 by ElHoop

Finney says:

I don't think he means literally kicking off, I think he means arguing, like on this thread.

Have you ever met him or know anything about him ??
Thatcher dead on 14:47 - Apr 8 with 1794 viewsAunt_Nelly

Thatcher dead on 13:41 - Apr 8 by Clive_Anderson

She was the last politician with the balls to say no when vested interests came looking for taxpayers money. Bad banks were allowed to fail without a bailout and dying industries were taken off taxpayer funded life-support.

When the IRA were regularly bombing London she didn't make hundreds of ludicrous anti-terror laws even when they tried to blow her up as well. She just stood up and said that we're not going to let them win and carried on with business as usual. Imagine what Blair would have done in that situation.

I think the reason the left hate her so much isn't because she did the opposite of what they wanted, but because it turned out that she was right and they were wrong. No wonder they are all so bitter.

"When the IRA were regularly bombing London she didn't make hundreds of ludicrous anti-terror laws even when they tried to blow her up as well. She just stood up and said that we're not going to let them win and carried on with business as usual. Imagine what Blair would have done in that situation."
-------------------------------------------

Talking tough about standing firm to the IRA when really she was involved in secret negotiations with them. No wonder they took the piss and at every opportunity tried to blow us up.

I have no love for Blair but it was his lot who secured peace with the IRA

Thatcher dead on 14:48 - Apr 8 with 1789 viewsscot1963

I have no respect for her - she had no empathy or compassion that I ever remember (unless, of course, it directly affected her). My abiding memory of her is that she refused to deal, under any circumstance, with the release of the hostages (John Major then effected their release) and yet used her position to ensure that no stone was left unturned when it came to finding her hapless son lost in the desert
Thatcher dead on 14:49 - Apr 8 with 1781 viewsMkPaul

Thatcher dead on 14:19 - Apr 8 by SomersetHoops

In my opinion, in her first two terms she did a lot of good redressing the balance between the government and unions, but after that she became too fundamentally right wing. We need a rule like they have in France where a premier can only serve two consecutive terms. The left wing hated her because she reduced their power to disrupt the country whenever they felt like it, but for me this is one of the good things she did.

A lot of the politically fundamental things she did like mass privatisations have atually resulted in in bad value for our country and its people at the expense of profits and overpaid jobs for the mostly foreign fat cats now running most of our utility industries. I can't think of many other countries allowing this and I feel sad that we have allowed it. If the new nuclear plants go ahead, they will be owned and operated by foreign companies and I think its a serious mistake to allow this in terms of the possibilty of accidents resulting from management without a commitment to our country. It also gives a company partly owned and controlled by a foreign government control over our power generation, which in my opinion should not be allowed.

All the privatisations give a short term gain to the exchequer while costing us all far more in the long run. The real problem is the short term strategy employed by governments not prepared to invest in the long term infrastructure of our country. As far as I can see this is the result of the dreadful group of politicians we have, none of whom see past short term vote winning and are not prepared to sell the idea of investing in our own country for the long term benefit of all.

Part of this was started under Thatcher, but none of her successors have had the guts or resources to put it right and some of the Labour leaders have made things far worse with massive PFI projects which we will all be paying over the odds for, for years to come.

But most of the public services were losing money and costing us a fortune to support
Thatcher dead on 14:50 - Apr 8 with 1766 viewsElHoop

Thatcher dead on 14:44 - Apr 8 by smegma

I don't think he means literally kicking off, I think he means arguing, like on this thread.

Have you ever met him or know anything about him ??

I don't really know anybody on here in fact, but to suggest that there's going to be a ruck when Thatcher gets buried is a bit of a joke, if that's what Finney meant.
Thatcher dead on 14:51 - Apr 8 with 1762 viewskingsburyR

Was a fan of Mrs T and approved of the way she dealt with the unions.

Better for it.

Someone died today, have a bit of respect for her family.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Thatcher dead on 14:51 - Apr 8 with 1761 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 14:42 - Apr 8 by ElHoop

Finney says:

says the person with an undertones cover ironic that.
Thatcher dead on 14:51 - Apr 8 with 1758 viewsdoogi55

Thatcher dead on 14:47 - Apr 8 by Aunt_Nelly

"When the IRA were regularly bombing London she didn't make hundreds of ludicrous anti-terror laws even when they tried to blow her up as well. She just stood up and said that we're not going to let them win and carried on with business as usual. Imagine what Blair would have done in that situation."
-------------------------------------------

Talking tough about standing firm to the IRA when really she was involved in secret negotiations with them. No wonder they took the piss and at every opportunity tried to blow us up.

I have no love for Blair but it was his lot who secured peace with the IRA

didnt she call mandella a terrorist and should not be talked to.
then met in when addressed both house and shook is hand .
Thatcher dead on 14:52 - Apr 8 with 1753 viewsstowmarketrange

Thatcher dead on 14:49 - Apr 8 by MkPaul

But most of the public services were losing money and costing us a fortune to support

But they were Public services.Not private money making schemes.
Can anyone name one thing that was sold off that is better value now?
Thatcher dead on 14:52 - Apr 8 with 1748 viewsnadera78

Thatcher dead on 14:49 - Apr 8 by MkPaul

No, we pay for them through incredibly high prices, and the government still subsidises them. The railways, gas, water, electric, etc all receive pricing guarantees from the government. Profits these foreign-owned companies make here go to subsidising prices charged in France, Germany, etc.
Thatcher dead on 14:52 - Apr 8 with 1746 viewsElHoop

Thatcher dead on 14:51 - Apr 8 by finney

says the person with an undertones cover ironic that.

Sorry - you've lost me Finney. Are rock bands a reason to 'kick off' over there then?
Thatcher dead on 14:53 - Apr 8 with 1738 viewsfinney

i am telling you people will take issue with each other over her death as in life i don't mean people will be shooting each other but tempers will be tested.
For the record there have been many riots outside Norn Iron
Thatcher dead on 14:54 - Apr 8 with 1732 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 14:08 - Apr 8 by stevec

Nice to see a reasoned denouncement instead of the usual shallow vitriol coming from other detractors but can I ask this - who in your opinion was a better Prime Minister, lets say in the last 45-50 years ?
Wilson - Heath - Callaghan - Major - Blair - Brown - Cameron ?

3 Labour leaders who conspired to bankrupt the country (as does Labour every time it gets a sustained period of office). Heath who, unlike Thatcher, tried to fight the unions and failed, Major who allowed the left leaning Clarke to piss all over him, or Cameron who hasn't exactly set the world alight so far.

I suspect you don't have an answer to this, as there isn't one. Still, any takers?

I probably don't have an answer that satisfies you.

Perhaps it's a feature of the decline of Britain that it is no more able to produce useful Prime Ministers than it is able to produce useful commodities. Prime Ministers tend to be men for their times. Wilson was a chameleon because he was managing a party that held completely conflicting viewpoints about what was possible for capitalism. At the time he was Prime Minister the illusion that capitalism could be 'managed' and was no longer subject to economic crisis was widespread. As the 1970s progressed that illusion was shattered.

The actions of Thatcher arose from that context, the context of economic crisis which had destroyed the consensus in British politics. To return to today, I think the difficulty for the post-Thatcherites is that their actions are seen as solely destructive. These are men without ideas. In Thatcher's time the pain of destruction was supposed to be followed by the gain brought about by deregulation and financial services. Now it seems the cure of financial services has become the disease, and our men without ideas only seem to offer pain. And as Thatcher destroyed all the 'enemies within', who is there left to blame?

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024