Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford 13:37 - May 18 with 2014 viewsaston_hoop

Given that there has been a lot of chat about them and Mark Warburton recently, it seems they have acted and are going to go for a full on 'Moneyball' approach with 2 new guys in the DoF role also tasked with finding a new boss. So how do we think they'll get on? Massive success or crash and burn?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32781368

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Brentford on 13:50 - May 18 with 1956 viewsNorthernr

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-mode
Brentford on 13:50 - May 18 with 1954 viewsJuzzie

It'll be one or the other, time will tell.
Brentford on 13:55 - May 18 with 1924 viewsozexile

Whether it succeeds or fails at least its a plan.
Brentford on 14:03 - May 18 with 1873 viewsdaveB

It all looks good on paper and has been working for them so far.
Brentford on 14:06 - May 18 with 1859 viewsRangersw12

They will lose some of their best players in the summer

I think all 3 West London clubs will struggle next season
Brentford on 14:18 - May 18 with 1791 viewsTheBlob

Brentford on 13:50 - May 18 by Northernr

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-mode

Isn't this what our very own John Beck did at Cambridge?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Brentford on 14:20 - May 18 with 1783 viewsDejR_vu

I think it will work for as long as everyone else ignores it. When others start doing the same, and ultimately everyone ends up doing it, form will revert back in favour of clubs who have the better players able to produce something unquantifiable. In the meantime it is levelling the playing field by exploiting other teams weaknesses.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Brentford on 14:24 - May 18 with 1766 viewsActonOccident

“One lesson I’ve learned is if you go to a manager and say you’ve been unlucky and you actually deserve to be higher, that’s actually quite an easy message to give to a manager, naturally enough,” Benham says. “But if you say to a manager, ‘You’ve been lucky, you deserve to be lower,’ that’s actually an incredibly difficult message for the manager to swallow.”

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjyllan

Already locked down their first signing too. God I hope QPR don't sit on their hands this summer and lumber us with completely different squads between the season opener and the post deadline day match.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/video-see-what-akaki
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford on 14:27 - May 18 with 1754 viewsaston_hoop

The success they have had in Denmark seems interesting. Any fans of Danish football know if they've had a lot of money to spend to bring these guys in or are they simply an average side punching above their weight due to this statistical analysis? I know Brentford have the money to spend if they need to so maybe it will work for them.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Brentford on 18:26 - May 18 with 1447 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford on 14:06 - May 18 by Rangersw12

Lose players?only player we will lose is Pritchard who will return to Spurs we might sell some if the price is right and if so will be replaced by better.We will push on next season I have no doubt as Fulham also will provided they get in a decent manager the same goes for you.I expect at least 6 players to come in next month along with the one signed yesterday
Brentford on 18:36 - May 18 with 1399 viewsLblock

I spoke with my neighbour at the weekend about this.

He's a MASSIVE fan of the Bee's.... so much so that he "couldn't make the Boro away game"
Made a great play on the fact that Benham's other club in Denmark won their Premiership using the stats approach and are in the Chumpions League.

He reckons Benham is proper going for it next season, they'll be investing in young players that fit a statistical profile and everything will be done by committee analysis.

It may work... I hope not of course... and for me I can only see this as a drop back to the days of Charlie Hughes and the percentage game.
I'd recommend Benny Ramsey and Greyfriars Bobby are signed by the Bee's as they've done the Charlie Hughes percentage game to death this season!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Brentford on 19:13 - May 18 with 1312 viewsBklynRanger

I can see how, to some extent, having a more rigorous approach to the transfer market could help.

But I just find it hard to believe that the mathematical stuff can be applied to the management job in anything like the same way it was done in baseball.

Statistics are part of the core of baseball whereas they've been increasingly sort of grafted onto football over the last decade or so. That seems like it be a 'confounding variable'.

If they used this season's success in Denmark as a pilot then they need to be careful that they're not mistaking the benefits of a good crop of youth players for the benefits of using stats everywhere.

I do agree with Sydney though - at least they have a plan.
Brentford on 19:37 - May 18 with 1258 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sounds like bvllshit to me. I like my football club costly, drama filled, and chaotic. Otherwise known as the 'no plan' plan.

What do the fans moan about all day? The fvcking weather?
Brentford on 19:40 - May 18 with 1246 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Brentford on 14:20 - May 18 by DejR_vu

I think it will work for as long as everyone else ignores it. When others start doing the same, and ultimately everyone ends up doing it, form will revert back in favour of clubs who have the better players able to produce something unquantifiable. In the meantime it is levelling the playing field by exploiting other teams weaknesses.

There will always be enough fvck ups like Leeds, QPR, Cardiff, Sunderland, to keep everyone else afloat.
Brentford on 19:50 - May 18 with 1228 viewsWilloW4

Brentford on 14:06 - May 18 by Rangersw12

3 west London clubs.?? No such thing...QPR are the only club in west London... Ask your postman re: postcodes.
Brentford on 20:01 - May 18 with 1182 viewslondonscottish

It works very well at Southhampton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-g

Also it worked very week for Dave Brailsford/Team Sky.

Still, Harry would have hated it. You can't get a virtual brown envelope.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024