Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derry my Lord 08:38 - Mar 7 with 3312 viewsWokingR

Shaun Derry being inducted into the ForeverR's at half time tonight
Welcome back my Lord
Derry my Lord on 09:06 - Mar 7 with 3270 viewsBlue_Castello

Agreed BUT we also have tonight Sir Don of the Givens, he truly was a superb player for the Rs in that mega team, viewed by many as our best ever.

Also Terry Mancini not to be confused with Henry, always did a good job at centre half, not the most accomplished but very much from the Clint Hill school of football.

Truly three players worthy of some applause tonight, probably find most fans pissing it up instead.....
[Post edited 7 Mar 2017 9:10]
Derry my Lord on 09:16 - Mar 7 with 3236 viewsfrancisbowles

Three players who were absolutely excellent, in performing to the top of their ability, in the hoops.
Derry my Lord on 09:59 - Mar 7 with 3168 viewsDorse

And Derry was also king of the 'tache. Behold, his greatness....!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Derry my Lord on 10:05 - Mar 7 with 3153 viewshoof_hearted

I feel hugely sorry for Mancini and even more so for Givens because even I will not be able to resist drawing breath in deep for "Sean Derry, my Lord..." He and Clint just summed up that great time.
Derry my Lord on 11:32 - Mar 7 with 3022 viewsterryb

I look forward to seeing all three tonight.

Hopefully Henry will be wearing his famous wig!
Derry my Lord on 11:37 - Mar 7 with 3014 viewssmegma

Derry my Lord on 11:32 - Mar 7 by terryb

That was my first QPR game terryb. Everyone was asking 'who is that new player' ?? Then he had everyone in stitches.
Derry my Lord on 12:17 - Mar 7 with 2963 viewsNov77

Derry my Lord on 11:32 - Mar 7 by terryb

Ta-da!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Derry my Lord on 12:47 - Mar 7 with 2893 viewsPlanetHonneywood

For they walked among us. We were lucky to behold.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Derry my Lord on 12:59 - Mar 7 with 2864 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fitting that Terry and Don should be on the pitch together tonight. Many older fans will remember this beaut of a story about another time when the two lads lined up together.

"A few years later, in 1973, London-born Terry Mancini learned from club-mate Don Givens (that) his Irish mother entitled him to play for the Republic. He spoke recently of the pride he felt upon getting the opportunity to do so although, famously, he had never heard Amhrán na bhFiann prior to lining out for his debut against Poland at Dalymount park in October 1973.

As he subsequently recalled: “The music started playing and it went on and on and I turned to Don Givens and said “for f**k sake, their national anthem don’t half go on, (what's ours like?)” and he said ‘That was ours, Terry’.

I didn’t have a clue.”"

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Derry my Lord on 13:12 - Mar 7 with 2826 viewsCamberleyR

Derry my Lord on 12:59 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Fitting that Terry and Don should be on the pitch together tonight. Many older fans will remember this beaut of a story about another time when the two lads lined up together.

"A few years later, in 1973, London-born Terry Mancini learned from club-mate Don Givens (that) his Irish mother entitled him to play for the Republic. He spoke recently of the pride he felt upon getting the opportunity to do so although, famously, he had never heard Amhrán na bhFiann prior to lining out for his debut against Poland at Dalymount park in October 1973.

As he subsequently recalled: “The music started playing and it went on and on and I turned to Don Givens and said “for f**k sake, their national anthem don’t half go on, (what's ours like?)” and he said ‘That was ours, Terry’.

I didn’t have a clue.”"

That was Poland's next game after the Tomaszewski "clown" game at Wembley. Ireland did what England had failed to do.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Derry my Lord on 13:16 - Mar 7 with 2800 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Derry my Lord on 13:12 - Mar 7 by CamberleyR

That was Poland's next game after the Tomaszewski "clown" game at Wembley. Ireland did what England had failed to do.

Never knew that. Nice trivia.

Derry my Lord on 13:22 - Mar 7 with 2782 viewsCamberleyR

Derry my Lord on 13:16 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Never knew that. Nice trivia.

Ireland won 1-0. I'd never heard of the scorer, Miah Dennehy, though I expect you have. From your part of Ireland Brian.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Derry my Lord on 13:30 - Mar 7 with 2763 viewsstowmarketrange

Unfortunately I won't be in attendance tonight but I'd love to welcome back 3 great players and characters from the past.
Give them a real heroes welcome.

I can't believe that Mancini wearing his syrup was so long ago.
Derry my Lord on 13:57 - Mar 7 with 2710 viewsElHoop

Does Don Givens still scout for Ireland? If he does then he might be on duty tonight.
Derry my Lord on 14:15 - Mar 7 with 2659 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Derry my Lord on 13:22 - Mar 7 by CamberleyR

Ireland won 1-0. I'd never heard of the scorer, Miah Dennehy, though I expect you have. From your part of Ireland Brian.

Before my time, Camberly, but I've heard of him. A bit of a folk hero on the Cork Northside and one of the fabled League of Ireland players.

Derry my Lord on 13:36 - Mar 8 with 2321 viewsfrancisbowles

It was great to see them all last night and remember what a character 'Henry' was. I remember seeing him behind the bar of the family pub 'the Golden Gloves' on the Fulham Palace Road not too long after he left us.

He made some comment last night that we might not recognise him without his wig and I was thinking or without your shorts, remembering him mooning in front of the director's box over the lack of a contract offer or some such.
Derry my Lord on 13:48 - Mar 8 with 2272 viewsLongsufferingR

Derry my Lord on 13:36 - Mar 8 by francisbowles

It was great to see them all last night and remember what a character 'Henry' was. I remember seeing him behind the bar of the family pub 'the Golden Gloves' on the Fulham Palace Road not too long after he left us.

He made some comment last night that we might not recognise him without his wig and I was thinking or without your shorts, remembering him mooning in front of the director's box over the lack of a contract offer or some such.

Playing centre half, running a pub as well. Amazing that he also found time to compose the theme tune to the Pink Panther.
Derry my Lord on 14:25 - Mar 8 with 2206 viewsWokingR

Derry my Lord on 13:48 - Mar 8 by LongsufferingR

Playing centre half, running a pub as well. Amazing that he also found time to compose the theme tune to the Pink Panther.

He was very funny last night
He was asked what made the 1972 team so special and he replied "Me"

Also great to hear Shaun Derry constantly referring to Qpr as 'us' and 'we'
Derry my Lord on 14:35 - Mar 8 with 2174 viewsTrellick

Yesterday I was having one of my "shall I bother going down the rangers tonight" thoughts when I read that Don , Terry and Shaun would be on the pitch at half time. That swayed it. So glad I went , Givens was a hero of mine when I was a 12 year old , Mancini hilarious and a good game too. Barnsley played their part as well.
Derry my Lord on 14:49 - Mar 8 with 2133 viewssmegma

Derry my Lord on 12:17 - Mar 7 by Nov77

Ta-da!

I have that picture framed on my wall in the man cave
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024