Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conor Washington 17:06 - Jul 9 with 4363 viewsrunningman75

So on a day of political turmoil I saw a recent photo of him in pre-season. Looks like he has bulked up in the gym and good start to the season with goal vs Charlton. Hopefully he will be ready to prove the hecklers wrong this season and get some confidence back under the new managements team training regime. Good luck to him though if he gets picked to start the first game will be waiting for the usual moans to start.
Conor Washington on 18:05 - Jul 9 with 4167 viewsted_hendrix

We can only hope but if he's gonna do anything for us then by Christ he's got to hit the ground running from minute one.
He's had all the opportunities made available to him.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Conor Washington on 18:29 - Jul 9 with 4091 viewsShunter

Conor Washington on 18:05 - Jul 9 by ted_hendrix

We can only hope but if he's gonna do anything for us then by Christ he's got to hit the ground running from minute one.
He's had all the opportunities made available to him.

He hit the ground running at the start of last season and he has always scored against Div 1 teams. I wish him all the best but his lack of anticipation and his reading of the game is really poor.
Conor Washington on 18:40 - Jul 9 with 4058 viewsDorse

Conor Washington on 18:29 - Jul 9 by Shunter

He hit the ground running at the start of last season and he has always scored against Div 1 teams. I wish him all the best but his lack of anticipation and his reading of the game is really poor.

He doesn't want to read the game in case it spoils the ending.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Conor Washington on 19:54 - Jul 9 with 3884 viewsqpr1976

No doubt “bulked up”, will become “overweight” or “fat” from if he doesn’t score at least once on opening day.....
Conor Washington on 23:30 - Jul 9 with 3589 viewsMyke

He scored twice on the opening day last year so he will have to outdo that to keep the hecklers off his back. A hat-trick at Preston should give him a couple of games breathing space
Conor Washington on 02:25 - Jul 10 with 3499 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Conor Washington on 18:29 - Jul 9 by Shunter

Nail on head.

I’d merely add he’s got poor technique/reactions at putting it in the net. Needs an age to tee himself up and to me, he looks like he’d prefer the keeper to get out the way before he decides, in discussion with the opposition and his teammates whether he should shoot; take another touch; or pass it?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Conor Washington on 10:05 - Jul 10 with 3187 viewsqprd

Conor Washington on 19:54 - Jul 9 by qpr1976

No doubt “bulked up”, will become “overweight” or “fat” from if he doesn’t score at least once on opening day.....

CW isn't a strong forward by any stretch, but bulking up doesn't really address the weaknesses of his game. If anything, it might take away some of his speed and agility, which is what he should be focusing on

CW needs to address:
-ability to dribble past defenders in a 1 v 1. he always loses the ball in these situations
-sharpness of runs in the box
-learning how to shoot with his left foot
Conor Washington on 10:12 - Jul 10 with 3167 views2Thomas2Bowles

He will never be more than a L1 player at best

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

Conor Washington on 10:17 - Jul 10 with 3157 viewsstevec

I refuse to believe the club are mad enough to go into yet another season of Washington/Sylla/Smith as the centre forwards of choice.

Smith fine, at a push Sylla as Plan B or C, but Washington, just cut the losses.
Conor Washington on 10:22 - Jul 10 with 3143 viewsToast_R

You never know, under McClaren he might find a way to sort himself out with some different coaching methods.
Conor Washington on 11:03 - Jul 10 with 3059 views2Thomas2Bowles

Same said under is it 3 managers

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Conor Washington on 13:08 - Jul 10 with 2954 viewsfrancisbowles

Conor Washington on 23:30 - Jul 9 by Myke

He scored twice on the opening day last year so he will have to outdo that to keep the hecklers off his back. A hat-trick at Preston should give him a couple of games breathing space

Yes, one a pen, but if you look at the brief highlights he still had a trademark wild hook when presented with another decent chance. That was the highlight of his season.

It will take some transformation before he would make a consistent, reliable striker at this level.

If we have to go with Smith, Sylla, BOS, Smyth, Oteh, Eze, Freeman, Wheeler, Wsolek as our attacking talent then so be it.
Conor Washington on 14:52 - Jul 10 with 2780 viewsMyke

Conor Washington on 13:08 - Jul 10 by francisbowles

Yes, one a pen, but if you look at the brief highlights he still had a trademark wild hook when presented with another decent chance. That was the highlight of his season.

It will take some transformation before he would make a consistent, reliable striker at this level.

If we have to go with Smith, Sylla, BOS, Smyth, Oteh, Eze, Freeman, Wheeler, Wsolek as our attacking talent then so be it.

If I was to cut our losses with any of the above mentioned it would be Wsolek I would let go. Notwithstanding his super goal v Fulham, he contributed less than Washington last season imo. Also if Wheeler has an injury free season Wsolek could be surplus to requirements
Conor Washington on 07:09 - Jul 11 with 2450 viewsqprd

Conor Washington on 14:52 - Jul 10 by Myke

If I was to cut our losses with any of the above mentioned it would be Wsolek I would let go. Notwithstanding his super goal v Fulham, he contributed less than Washington last season imo. Also if Wheeler has an injury free season Wsolek could be surplus to requirements

wzolek was played out of position in the 352. for the rest of the year, he was jerked around to accommodate furlong (which was the right move). you cant really evaluate his performances last year. hes a good player

wheeler has yet to prove he can perform at this level. and while he is nominally a winger, hes more of a goal scorer rather than a crosser of the ball... wzolek and wheeler aren't like for like players
Conor Washington on 13:04 - Jul 14 with 1974 viewsMyke

Conor Washington on 07:09 - Jul 11 by qprd

wzolek was played out of position in the 352. for the rest of the year, he was jerked around to accommodate furlong (which was the right move). you cant really evaluate his performances last year. hes a good player

wheeler has yet to prove he can perform at this level. and while he is nominally a winger, hes more of a goal scorer rather than a crosser of the ball... wzolek and wheeler aren't like for like players

I take your point about Wheeler and Wzolek not having similar styles qprd, but we can still only field 11 players. If Wheeler is to become a regular this season (which I hope happens) he will have to be accommodated on the right at Wzolek's expense. Otherwise he becomes another auxiliary No 10 and god knows we have enough of them. It's inconceivable that he would be asked to lead the line on the strength of his lower-level goal-scoring record, so where else can we play him except wide right?
Also in the context of how highly we value our own players (Smithies /Luongo) it's worth pointing out that Wzolek failed to make a very average Polish World Cup squad
Conor Washington on 13:50 - Jul 14 with 1889 viewsrsonist

Conor Washington on 13:04 - Jul 14 by Myke

I take your point about Wheeler and Wzolek not having similar styles qprd, but we can still only field 11 players. If Wheeler is to become a regular this season (which I hope happens) he will have to be accommodated on the right at Wzolek's expense. Otherwise he becomes another auxiliary No 10 and god knows we have enough of them. It's inconceivable that he would be asked to lead the line on the strength of his lower-level goal-scoring record, so where else can we play him except wide right?
Also in the context of how highly we value our own players (Smithies /Luongo) it's worth pointing out that Wzolek failed to make a very average Polish World Cup squad

Good bit of spin but Wszolek was in the national squad before we started messing him around - him not making it even into the preliminary 35 says more about us than him.

Right side of a 4-3-3 (McLaren's preferred formation at Derby) is the option for Wheeler, and IIRC we tried out Wszolek in a central box-to-box role in the previous friendly.

Eze, Freeman, and possibly Chair are the only real 10s we still have, and the latter two have adapted their game or are learning to.
Conor Washington on 21:02 - Jul 14 with 1603 viewsMyke

Conor Washington on 13:50 - Jul 14 by rsonist

Good bit of spin but Wszolek was in the national squad before we started messing him around - him not making it even into the preliminary 35 says more about us than him.

Right side of a 4-3-3 (McLaren's preferred formation at Derby) is the option for Wheeler, and IIRC we tried out Wszolek in a central box-to-box role in the previous friendly.

Eze, Freeman, and possibly Chair are the only real 10s we still have, and the latter two have adapted their game or are learning to.

Hmm if Luongo leaves (which I expect to happen when he returns from his hols) then I would suggest that Cousins is the natural box-to-box successor if fit and Manning if not - can't see Wszolek filling that role. As you alluded to, he doesn't do well when taken out of his natural habitat.
As for Freeman 'adapting his game', that's questionable. IMO he was the one that suffered most when we reverted to 4-4-2 last season as his performances dipped when he was shunted out wide. Of course that may have just being fatigue after a long impressive season, so I guess we'll see how that pans out over the next few weeks. To me, Eze is our most natural 10, but whether he is ready to play week in week out... I guess we'll find that out soon enough too. Of all the kids pushing for places, Eze and Smyth are the only 2 I expect to be playing regularly this season, all things being equal, with Bright, Chair and Manning getting game time from the bench
Conor Washington on 23:44 - Jul 14 with 1476 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Conor Washington on 10:22 - Jul 10 by Toast_R

You never know, under McClaren he might find a way to sort himself out with some different coaching methods.

A brain transplant hasn't been tried yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024