Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This sums up the political world 12:41 - Nov 7 with 5597 viewsrunningman75

When a dead brothel owner can win a seat in the U.S this shows the pointless nature of politics in certain places. I am sure there are parts of the UK who will always vote Tory/ Labour regardless of the caliber of the candidate.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brothel-owner-dennis-hof-wins-13547340
This sums up the political world on 12:56 - Nov 7 with 4350 viewsqprd

in political science, its called the coattail effect. you basically pick your party/PM/President candidate you like and vote for everyone from the same party down the line

I consider myself fairly in tune with the news, but I actually cant name my local MP. I don't think I know the name of a single politician where I live, other than sadiq khan....

in the US, you get to vote for someone in congress, but also up to 20+ additional positions, including judges, county officials, town officials, parent teacher associations and even a position called a dogcatcher. I'm not sure there are many people with the time or bandwidth to learn all the candidates.

throw in the fact that americans are particularly uninformed, and its a good recipe for getting these types of anomalous results
This sums up the political world on 13:05 - Nov 7 with 4327 viewsrobith

This sums up the political world on 12:56 - Nov 7 by qprd

in political science, its called the coattail effect. you basically pick your party/PM/President candidate you like and vote for everyone from the same party down the line

I consider myself fairly in tune with the news, but I actually cant name my local MP. I don't think I know the name of a single politician where I live, other than sadiq khan....

in the US, you get to vote for someone in congress, but also up to 20+ additional positions, including judges, county officials, town officials, parent teacher associations and even a position called a dogcatcher. I'm not sure there are many people with the time or bandwidth to learn all the candidates.

throw in the fact that americans are particularly uninformed, and its a good recipe for getting these types of anomalous results

People often say "oh Americans are uninformed" but I'd say the far greater issues are the rampant levels of voter suppression and the extreme gerrymandering that takes place are far bigger factors. I mean, check out these congressional districts:

[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 13:05]
This sums up the political world on 13:25 - Nov 7 with 4263 viewsNorthernr

Never lived in a marginal seat, never been doorstepped, rarely been leafleted. Villiers is doing her best to change that in Barnet now but just as Labour got close all that anti-Semitism stuff blew up and it must be one of the most Jewish wards in the country so that's probably killed that.
This sums up the political world on 13:26 - Nov 7 with 4261 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/midterms-2018/midt
This sums up the political world on 13:30 - Nov 7 with 4249 viewsDannyPaddox

This sums up the political world on 13:42 - Nov 7 with 4224 viewsDorse

This sums up the political world on 13:25 - Nov 7 by Northernr

Never lived in a marginal seat, never been doorstepped, rarely been leafleted. Villiers is doing her best to change that in Barnet now but just as Labour got close all that anti-Semitism stuff blew up and it must be one of the most Jewish wards in the country so that's probably killed that.

I got doorstepped by Bob Walter once. He asked if I could count on his vote. I looked round conspiratorially and said that I couldn't say as it was a secret ballot. He looked confused whilst his mate from the local Conservative Club (yes, my village actually has one) looked like he would like to kill me.

They shuffled off to bother someone else.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

This sums up the political world on 14:57 - Nov 7 with 4137 viewsterryb

This sums up the political world on 13:25 - Nov 7 by Northernr

Living in Ipswich, I am in a marginal.

It is actually a big responsibility, especially in these days of minority governments!

The theory is excellent in that your vote can make all the difference. However, consider that it is your vote that resulted in a government being elected & you then regret their election. The chances of that happening are very remote, but the threat of it means that I rarely vote for the party of my choice.

My son is political & works in London, but still lives here rather than closer to work, as he wants to be in a marginal seat! Not many of them to move to!
This sums up the political world on 15:08 - Nov 7 with 4121 viewscolinallcars

This is a depressing thread. For all its faults politics in this country still gives people a chance to bring about change. Just about anyway. The establishment just love it when people just shrug and say “what's the point.”
Don't just puff out your chest and say “I don't vote.”
Login to get fewer ads

This sums up the political world on 15:44 - Nov 7 with 4083 viewskensalriser

This sums up the political world on 13:05 - Nov 7 by robith

People often say "oh Americans are uninformed" but I'd say the far greater issues are the rampant levels of voter suppression and the extreme gerrymandering that takes place are far bigger factors. I mean, check out these congressional districts:

Republicans aren't democrats in more than one sense.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

This sums up the political world on 15:50 - Nov 7 with 4068 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

We are going through the exact same thing with the Boundary Change Review.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/10/uk-parliamentary-boundary-chang
This sums up the political world on 15:51 - Nov 7 with 4068 viewsNorthernr

This sums up the political world on 15:08 - Nov 7 by colinallcars

This is a depressing thread. For all its faults politics in this country still gives people a chance to bring about change. Just about anyway. The establishment just love it when people just shrug and say “what's the point.”
Don't just puff out your chest and say “I don't vote.”

Oh I still vote. But there's rarely been any point in the places I've lived. Might be different next time, think Villiers' majority was down to 353 from 7,000 at one point.
This sums up the political world on 16:21 - Nov 7 with 4033 viewshopphoops

The election of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gives hope, as well as a certain quasi-jailbait guilty pleasure confusion.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

This sums up the political world on 16:54 - Nov 7 with 3978 viewsstevec

Let's not get too high and mighty, there's people out there who vote for Diane Abbott.
This sums up the political world on 17:02 - Nov 7 with 3965 viewsessextaxiboy

This sums up the political world on 16:54 - Nov 7 by stevec

Let's not get too high and mighty, there's people out there who vote for Diane Abbott.

They surely must vote for the Party and not the Candidate ......
This sums up the political world on 17:41 - Nov 7 with 3923 viewskensalriser

This sums up the political world on 16:54 - Nov 7 by stevec

And other charming individuals:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/04/tory-mp-andrew-griffiths-who-se

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

This sums up the political world on 18:02 - Nov 7 with 3886 viewsrobith

This sums up the political world on 17:02 - Nov 7 by essextaxiboy

They surely must vote for the Party and not the Candidate ......

Voted for her as my MP twice. She was a great local MP, and is immensely in step with people's view - pretty sure she has the biggest majority in the country
This sums up the political world on 18:07 - Nov 7 with 3874 viewsMrSheen

Congressional districts are redrawn every 10 years to take into account census data,because districts are supposed to be proportional to the number of voters, and change as people move around. There is an additional requirement under the Voting Rights Act of 1965. From Ballotpedia:

Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 mandates that electoral district lines cannot be drawn in such a manner as to "improperly dilute minorities' voting power."[36]

“ No voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure shall be imposed or applied by any State or political subdivision to deny or abridge the right of any citizen of the United States to vote on account of race or color.[4] ”
–Voting Rights Act of 1965[37]
States and other political subdivisions may create majority-minority districts in order to comply with Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.[38]

In 2015, there were 122 majority-minority districts spanning 26 states. California was home to 40 such districts, more than any other state.

Majority-minority districts are drawn up to ensure some congressional representation for minorities in proportion to their presence in the state, and this behind at lot of the unusual shapes of districts, not a conscious effort to deny them representation. The Justice Department of Bush the Elder (Rep.) was particularly active in driving this through to raise the number of minorities in congress despite local opposition, though some critics now say that by effectively collecting lots of minority voters in one place to guarantee a few wins rather than spreading them around, it caps minority representation.

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting

About three examples shown:
The first is the old Illinois District 17, which was changed in 2013. You can see it in its more moderate current form, and see the loading of minorities into minority-majority districts in the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 7th here.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/illinois/
Incidentally, the desire to guarantee Hispanic congressional representation led to the drawing of this classic, the 4th.

You can also play around to see how other definitions of fairness would affect boundaries on the site. Illinois generally leans Democratic rather than Republican, but the main result of the search for consensus is to draw districts which rarely change hands, and offer the sitting member the chance of a job for life.

The second is from Arizona. Boundaries are drawn by an independent committee there, rather than by whichever party is in power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting_in_Arizona
It's actually the seat where the Republican candidate, Paul Gosar, was attacked in a campaign ad by six of his siblings. He won with about 70%.

The third map is from Maryland, where redistricting is essentially carried out by and for the benefit of the dominant local party - the Democrats.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-maryalnd-redistricting
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 18:24]
This sums up the political world on 19:06 - Nov 7 with 3798 viewsderbyhoop

This sums up the political world on 18:07 - Nov 7 by MrSheen

Congressional districts are redrawn every 10 years to take into account census data,because districts are supposed to be proportional to the number of voters, and change as people move around. There is an additional requirement under the Voting Rights Act of 1965. From Ballotpedia:

Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 mandates that electoral district lines cannot be drawn in such a manner as to "improperly dilute minorities' voting power."[36]

“ No voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure shall be imposed or applied by any State or political subdivision to deny or abridge the right of any citizen of the United States to vote on account of race or color.[4] ”
–Voting Rights Act of 1965[37]
States and other political subdivisions may create majority-minority districts in order to comply with Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.[38]

In 2015, there were 122 majority-minority districts spanning 26 states. California was home to 40 such districts, more than any other state.

Majority-minority districts are drawn up to ensure some congressional representation for minorities in proportion to their presence in the state, and this behind at lot of the unusual shapes of districts, not a conscious effort to deny them representation. The Justice Department of Bush the Elder (Rep.) was particularly active in driving this through to raise the number of minorities in congress despite local opposition, though some critics now say that by effectively collecting lots of minority voters in one place to guarantee a few wins rather than spreading them around, it caps minority representation.

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting

About three examples shown:
The first is the old Illinois District 17, which was changed in 2013. You can see it in its more moderate current form, and see the loading of minorities into minority-majority districts in the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 7th here.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/illinois/
Incidentally, the desire to guarantee Hispanic congressional representation led to the drawing of this classic, the 4th.

You can also play around to see how other definitions of fairness would affect boundaries on the site. Illinois generally leans Democratic rather than Republican, but the main result of the search for consensus is to draw districts which rarely change hands, and offer the sitting member the chance of a job for life.

The second is from Arizona. Boundaries are drawn by an independent committee there, rather than by whichever party is in power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting_in_Arizona
It's actually the seat where the Republican candidate, Paul Gosar, was attacked in a campaign ad by six of his siblings. He won with about 70%.

The third map is from Maryland, where redistricting is essentially carried out by and for the benefit of the dominant local party - the Democrats.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-maryalnd-redistricting
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 18:24]

I lived in Derby North where our last MPs have been Whitehead (Lab), Knight (Con), Laxton (Lab), Williamson (Lab), Solloway (Con) and now back to Williamson. I think that could be classed as a marginal.

I have to say that both the Conservatives were useless. But Laxton, a former council leader, was also useless.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

This sums up the political world on 20:17 - Nov 7 with 3740 viewsCiderwithRsie

This sums up the political world on 15:50 - Nov 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

We are going through the exact same thing with the Boundary Change Review.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/10/uk-parliamentary-boundary-chang

No, it's not the same at all Bazza. In the US whoever controls the stare legislature and governorship can basically fix the boundaries as they like. Here the Boundary Commission isn't perfect but it's politically neutral.

(I don't much like the proposals but that Graun article is full of evasions:-
1. I don't like reducing the number of MPs because it makes life easier for the govt, but it's politically neutral and Lab will benefit if it gets into govt.
2. The Electoral Reform society point about FPP is irrelevant - I don't like FPP either but we had a referendum and it was overwhelmingly approved, so it's not an excuse to fail to make FPP work on its own terms
3. Lab objects because atm Labour is over-represented, it takes lots more Tories to elect an MP than it does Lab votes.
4. Half the MPs objecting do so because they personally will lose out. Tough.

Though the last point is why it'll never happen IMO, reducing the Commons by 50 MPs means even the winning side will have fewer MPs unless they win a landslide, which isn't on the cards at all; and turkeys don't vote for Xmas. My bet it'll go back for re-drawing without the 50 seat reduction.
This sums up the political world on 20:40 - Nov 7 with 3708 viewscolinallcars

This sums up the political world on 20:17 - Nov 7 by CiderwithRsie

No, it's not the same at all Bazza. In the US whoever controls the stare legislature and governorship can basically fix the boundaries as they like. Here the Boundary Commission isn't perfect but it's politically neutral.

(I don't much like the proposals but that Graun article is full of evasions:-
1. I don't like reducing the number of MPs because it makes life easier for the govt, but it's politically neutral and Lab will benefit if it gets into govt.
2. The Electoral Reform society point about FPP is irrelevant - I don't like FPP either but we had a referendum and it was overwhelmingly approved, so it's not an excuse to fail to make FPP work on its own terms
3. Lab objects because atm Labour is over-represented, it takes lots more Tories to elect an MP than it does Lab votes.
4. Half the MPs objecting do so because they personally will lose out. Tough.

Though the last point is why it'll never happen IMO, reducing the Commons by 50 MPs means even the winning side will have fewer MPs unless they win a landslide, which isn't on the cards at all; and turkeys don't vote for Xmas. My bet it'll go back for re-drawing without the 50 seat reduction.

If the boundary changes in West London go through our ground will be in Ealing...
This sums up the political world (n/t) on 22:18 - Nov 7 with 3634 viewsessextaxiboy

This sums up the political world on 18:02 - Nov 7 by robith

Voted for her as my MP twice. She was a great local MP, and is immensely in step with people's view - pretty sure she has the biggest majority in the country

She missed a nought off ...again !
She has the 10th largest majority ..
[Post edited 7 Nov 2018 22:35]
This sums up the political world on 22:57 - Nov 7 with 3593 viewsBoston

Thanks for your post Mr Sheen. I reside in a ‘gerrymandered’ district of Massachusetts. It is so precisely to ensure that African Americans have a better chance of representation in political office. It worries me not one bit that this is the case, it worries me more than some people are unaware or prefer not to know.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

This sums up the political world on 23:49 - Nov 7 with 3564 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've come to the conclusion Left or right politicians are essentially the same.

Which is why popularist movements are doing so well.

'popularist' I guess that means what the 'populace' wants you to do.

Is never popular with the 'elite'.

Anyway I prefer Rousseau and the Athenians.

[Post edited 8 Nov 2018 0:00]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

This sums up the political world on 01:48 - Nov 8 with 3524 viewstimcocking

Democracy is the worst form of government created so far, apart from every other system we've come up with so far. I wouldn't trust any of 'em.

I still think Clive should be put in charge...
This sums up the political world on 02:12 - Nov 8 with 3516 viewssmegma

This sums up the political world on 18:02 - Nov 7 by robith

As mentioned, some areas, no matter how bad an MP may appear to be, the electorate vote for the same party year in year out. So you could have people in politics like Boris who are placed in safe seats as they are popular in the party.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024