Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturdays Forever R's Induction 15:21 - Nov 29 with 7534 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Mike Ferguson.

Big hero of mine when I was a boy, old style winger with a big character.

Will definitely be be getting a big applause from me.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 01:23 - Nov 30 with 6367 viewstimcocking

Have we had Richard Dunne and Ryan Nelson in? Now that was two more players i thought were rubbish signings who were excellent for us in a very difficult moment. Two good men.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 01:40 - Nov 30 with 6363 viewsBoston

Mike Ferguson was a first team squad member when I first trod the terraces at Loftus Rd. I know because his name was always on the back page of the programme, apart from that I was fcking about with my snot nosed mates and have little recollection of what he was up to to on the field.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 09:16 - Nov 30 with 6270 viewsterryb

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 01:40 - Nov 30 by Boston

Mike Ferguson was a first team squad member when I first trod the terraces at Loftus Rd. I know because his name was always on the back page of the programme, apart from that I was fcking about with my snot nosed mates and have little recollection of what he was up to to on the field.

A very good player Boston.

Only Rodney & Stan had more natural skill on the ball than Mike.

I think he wore the number ten shirt between the two above mentioned players & he should be remembered as a natural Rangers number ten!

IMO he had far more skill then Stainrod or Byrne.

As you may have gathered, I rather liked him!
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 09:40 - Nov 30 with 6253 viewsoldmisery

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 09:16 - Nov 30 by terryb

I think he wore the number ten shirt between the two above mentioned players & he should be remembered as a natural Rangers number ten!

Yes, he was one of my favourites in the team of the late sixties, signed just after our first inglorious introduction to the top tier of English football.
Signed from Villa if my memory serves and mostly wore the number 11 shirt. That was a very skilful and pacy attack with Mike Ferguson on the left wing and Barry Bridges on the right flank. The only problem was that they were creating chances for that old carthouse Frank Clarke to mess up!
Think Mike Ferguson may have liked a drink or two as I recall him being referred to as Mr Light and Bitter but those were the days of footballs drinking culture so he wasn't in the minority.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 16:29 - Nov 30 with 6159 viewsHantsR

I remember Mike very clearly. We bought him, I think, from Blackburn and I was excited at the prospect of a winger who appeared to be able to score. He was a bit scruffy as I remember (I should talk, you should have seen me at the time!!) anyway, he was ok and had an immediate impact, taking on defenders and getting in some decent crosses. He was clever although not as fleet-footed as I thought he would be. As time went on, he became visibly short of breath at times, possibly the drink kicking in as someone has suggested? He didn't score too many for us although his trademark effort became cutting in from the left and trying to hit the top right corner of the goal. This often looked good but I think only succeeded once or twice. Seemed a likeable bloke though and I'll give him some nostalgic applause.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 17:04 - Nov 30 with 6137 viewsderbyhoop

After the article about Hateley playing for both Hull and Rangers, I'm expecting Clive to be nominating him for the Forever Rs. 😁

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 17:26 - Nov 30 with 6114 viewsDavieQPR

Got him from Villa for £15,000.He played for Blackburn before Villa.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 17:26 - Nov 30 with 6112 viewssimmo

Not much of an idea about this chap tbh, but I think it would be really helpful to run something pre-game on the guys due to be inducted. Maybe a piece on their time here, key moments, teams they played in, maybe some fan quotes from those that saw them play... Think it will really help younger generations get more familiar with old faces and mean more to people on the day that don't know more than their name and when they played.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 18:36 - Nov 30 with 6085 viewsoldmisery

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 17:26 - Nov 30 by simmo

Not much of an idea about this chap tbh, but I think it would be really helpful to run something pre-game on the guys due to be inducted. Maybe a piece on their time here, key moments, teams they played in, maybe some fan quotes from those that saw them play... Think it will really help younger generations get more familiar with old faces and mean more to people on the day that don't know more than their name and when they played.

Further to my previous post, I recall that he was a young player who was born in Burnley and was part of the Accington Stanley (who) team that disappeared from the Football League for failure to pay their debts halfway through the 61/62 season.

He then signed for Blackburn and briefly Villa before joining the R's in 69 and was with us for 4 years before ending up (?) at Cambridge Utd.

He was indeed somewhat scruffy and looked like a poor man's George Best. He wasn't particularly quick but had good acceleration over about 10 yards and was very skilful. He could accurately cross a ball at speed and preceded Dave Thomas with the cut inside and shoot for the top corner routine but D.T was much more accomplished in that regard.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 19:02 - Nov 30 with 6065 viewscolinallcars

My addled memory always gets Ferguson mixed up with Keith Sanderson. I wonder, has Sanderson been inducted? He was a good honest playerin our mid 60s side and was actually a part timer playing alongside full time pros but looking at home.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 19:59 - Nov 30 with 6032 viewsflynnbo

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 19:02 - Nov 30 by colinallcars

My addled memory always gets Ferguson mixed up with Keith Sanderson. I wonder, has Sanderson been inducted? He was a good honest playerin our mid 60s side and was actually a part timer playing alongside full time pros but looking at home.

I think their hairstyles were rather different at the time!
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 20:30 - Nov 30 with 6013 viewsDWQPR

Remember still the first home game of the 1972-73, post Rodney and pre-Stan, Ferguson played in that game which we won 4-2 in the shadow of the skeleton of the new Ellerslie Road stand.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 04:25 - Dec 1 with 5932 viewsSonofNorfolt

Is there a list of whom has been induced(!) so far?

I may be wrong but Don Masson. Dave Webb, John Gregory, even Simon Barker?
Perhaps they have? Terry Venables would be a good one.
As long as Karl Henry doesn't get the nod, ever........
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 09:56 - Dec 1 with 5860 viewsenfieldargh

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 04:25 - Dec 1 by SonofNorfolt

Is there a list of whom has been induced(!) so far?

I may be wrong but Don Masson. Dave Webb, John Gregory, even Simon Barker?
Perhaps they have? Terry Venables would be a good one.
As long as Karl Henry doesn't get the nod, ever........

Dont think so

I sent an email to the club asking why there is not a section on the website for ForeverR's, never got a reply.

you would think they could show all the inductees and the video of them, it would continue to keep these guys and the good work the club does in view for the fans

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 10:01 - Dec 1 with 5856 viewsDorse

And still George Kulcsar sits patiently by the phone like JR Hartley, his wife occasionally popping her head round the door and asking 'Anything yet, dear?'...

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 10:09 - Dec 1 with 5847 viewsM40R

Ah, I remember him well. Good player. For a short period we played two wingers, the other being Barry Salvage on the left. Although the latter didn't make it (and died sadly at a young age), for a time I remember a free flowing team and a late ultimately futile promotion surge in '72. Played a part in building that fine side on the mid 70's.

Also it's a shame the club rarely puts these interviews on the big screen to improve impact.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 10:10 - Dec 1 with 5836 viewsDiscodroids

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 10:01 - Dec 1 by Dorse

And still George Kulcsar sits patiently by the phone like JR Hartley, his wife occasionally popping her head round the door and asking 'Anything yet, dear?'...

You Crazy insane fool Dorse, there's more chance of my pineal gland being violently used as a string of pearls love aid by Camila Batmanghelidjh than Kulcsar being inducted..

Surely the time has come for early 2000's Midfield Kraken Hamid Barr to be anointed.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2018 10:13]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 10:32 - Dec 1 with 5818 viewssexton

God I Ioved Fergie. Big for a winger, long haired, he swaggered. Though Rodney swaggered even more.

When we signed our new forward line of Stan, Givens and Tommo early in the 72/73 season sadly Fergie's days were numbered.

Please all put your hands together.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 10:48 - Dec 1 with 5809 viewsHantsR

Mike puts over a great cross for our equaliser!

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 11:45 - Dec 1 with 5789 viewslongbottom

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 09:16 - Nov 30 by terryb

A lovely player was Mike. TBH me and my mates were of the opinion that he was either pxxxed or hungover a lot the time. I have a vague memory of Him decking a particularly aggressive full back in one match.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 19:35 - Dec 1 with 5719 viewsTacticalR

A player from before my time.

A nice interview where he talked about trying to help the younger players like Clement, Gillard and Francis who went to play for England. Also said he was captain and playing for QPR was the highlight of his career, and the fans always supported him.

Very sprightly for a 75-year old.

Air hostess clique

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 02:24 - Dec 2 with 5634 viewstimcocking

Don't remember Mike Ferguson, but loved watching it. I've loved so much those Forever Rs things. Having been sceptical initially, i really look forward to them now. Always make me very emotional.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 12:42 - Dec 2 with 5562 viewsKeith56

Lovely to see and hear Mike Ferguson on saturday. Up there with Marsh Bowles Stainrod Byrne and Wegerle. As you heard, he was in at the start of the building our best team ever.
Used to be called 'Coathanger' because of the shape of his shoulders when he took defenders on.
A dear old friend of mine was Paul Harford who some may remember - a big Rangers fan in more ways than one. Paul told me he used to drink a Guinness or two with Mike Ferguson before a game in the Smuts. At half past two Mike Ferguson would say 'Got to go and get changed now Paul' Then spend the afternoon entertaining us
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 13:46 - Dec 2 with 5536 viewsstevec

Great to see Mike Ferguson come out at half time. Made me feel a bit old though explaining to my son who he was.

Recall a night game at LR where he ran over half the pitch diagonally from left to right and smacked one in from 25 yards. Seem to remember his head used to bob up and down as he ran like a nodding dog.

Part of that rebuild from the 1969 relegation, top man.
Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 14:56 - Dec 2 with 5479 viewsaston_hoop

Saturdays Forever R's Induction on 10:01 - Dec 1 by Dorse

His time will come when they do a legends of 99 special

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024