Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The gaffer on today's game 20:25 - Oct 5 with 2080 viewsbosh67

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/warburtons-take-on-blackburn-win/

Spot on.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The gaffer on today's game on 20:34 - Oct 5 with 2041 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Yep, nailed it.

I do like his honest interviews. He never hangs anyone but gently calls the collective if something's wrong.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The gaffer on today's game on 22:53 - Oct 5 with 1883 viewsjtuck

Don't know what it is about Nick London who I like as the main commentator on the stream, but managers always appear cagey and tense with him in interviews after games. Totally different interview on West London Sport, probably from the group interview with football reporters at the game. Even includes a joke (gasp!)...

"If we win every game 4-2 from now until May I’ll buy you as many beers as you could possibly want,” Warburton joked.

He added: “On a serious note, of course you want to keep a clean sheet.

“The trouble with defenders is that it’s easy for people behind keyboards to jump on and go ‘Oh, Yoann Barbet!’ — but he’s the last line of defence.

“If he doesn’t make that tackle they go ‘why hasn’t he tried to tackle him?’

“We missed the tackle ahead, didn’t maintain our shape and then they’re forced into that last-ditch tackle.

“Yoann Barbet has been outstanding and will continue to get better.

“It’s worrying that we gave a soft goal away. I was more frustrated with the second goal they scored. We were sloppy and complacent and we can’t do that.”

Wells’ opener continued his excellent form since returning for a second season on loan from Burney, while Hugill’s header from Ryan Manning’s cross was the on-loan West Ham striker’s sixth goal of the campaign.

“I’m delighted that the two goalscorers kept on scoring,” Warburton said.

“As a team we’re creating chances for those boys and they’re taking them.

“The players are moving the ball well and creating chances against good teams. If we can be more clinical in front of goal then we’re really going to hurt teams. We’ll have good day and bad days and need to keep going.

“We contained Blackburn, grew into the game and then deserved the victory.”

Also note strong defense of Barbet.

LAranger

The gaffer on today's game on 01:04 - Oct 6 with 1762 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The gaffer on today's game on 22:53 - Oct 5 by jtuck

Don't know what it is about Nick London who I like as the main commentator on the stream, but managers always appear cagey and tense with him in interviews after games. Totally different interview on West London Sport, probably from the group interview with football reporters at the game. Even includes a joke (gasp!)...

"If we win every game 4-2 from now until May I’ll buy you as many beers as you could possibly want,” Warburton joked.

He added: “On a serious note, of course you want to keep a clean sheet.

“The trouble with defenders is that it’s easy for people behind keyboards to jump on and go ‘Oh, Yoann Barbet!’ — but he’s the last line of defence.

“If he doesn’t make that tackle they go ‘why hasn’t he tried to tackle him?’

“We missed the tackle ahead, didn’t maintain our shape and then they’re forced into that last-ditch tackle.

“Yoann Barbet has been outstanding and will continue to get better.

“It’s worrying that we gave a soft goal away. I was more frustrated with the second goal they scored. We were sloppy and complacent and we can’t do that.”

Wells’ opener continued his excellent form since returning for a second season on loan from Burney, while Hugill’s header from Ryan Manning’s cross was the on-loan West Ham striker’s sixth goal of the campaign.

“I’m delighted that the two goalscorers kept on scoring,” Warburton said.

“As a team we’re creating chances for those boys and they’re taking them.

“The players are moving the ball well and creating chances against good teams. If we can be more clinical in front of goal then we’re really going to hurt teams. We’ll have good day and bad days and need to keep going.

“We contained Blackburn, grew into the game and then deserved the victory.”

Also note strong defense of Barbet.

First thing's first, I'm delighted with the result and finally breaking the Blackburn hoo-doo.

Whilst I enjoy Warburton's interviews, I don't think he's being honest about Barbet. He certainly hasn't been outstanding and has conceded quite a few penalties already this season through rash challenges.

At the New Den Millwall had a late chance for an equaliser which they spurned because Leistner, the last line of defence, cut across and made life as difficult as possible for the striker without lunging in. Barbet, by contrast, is too eager to tackle in the box. If you don't get it spot on you're risking a penalty and possibly a red card.

I can only assume that Warburton is being pragmatic by choosing to defend players in public and dealing with issues internally because, with no clean sheets and several soft goals conceded including daft penalties, there's clearly work to be done on our defence. I'm hopeful Mark and the coaching staff will use the international break to address this problem.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 1:07]
The gaffer on today's game on 04:18 - Oct 6 with 1703 viewsDylanP

The gaffer on today's game on 01:04 - Oct 6 by Benny_the_Ball

First thing's first, I'm delighted with the result and finally breaking the Blackburn hoo-doo.

Whilst I enjoy Warburton's interviews, I don't think he's being honest about Barbet. He certainly hasn't been outstanding and has conceded quite a few penalties already this season through rash challenges.

At the New Den Millwall had a late chance for an equaliser which they spurned because Leistner, the last line of defence, cut across and made life as difficult as possible for the striker without lunging in. Barbet, by contrast, is too eager to tackle in the box. If you don't get it spot on you're risking a penalty and possibly a red card.

I can only assume that Warburton is being pragmatic by choosing to defend players in public and dealing with issues internally because, with no clean sheets and several soft goals conceded including daft penalties, there's clearly work to be done on our defence. I'm hopeful Mark and the coaching staff will use the international break to address this problem.

To be fair, you don't address a problem like our defense in one week. You may be able to begin the process of addressing it, but its a bit optimistic to think you can have that much impact on the fundamentals in one week of training.

Warburton's impact in a really short time, has been impressive. It takes a while for new ideas to sink in and for new systems to gel. We are definitely not the finished product by a long way. There are lots of gaps that the better teams will exploit. But the progress is unbelievable. Warburton has taken a bunch of youngsters and unwanted players and created a team that has looked superb at times. Obviously, there will be ups and downs but WOW!

COME ON U SOOOOOOPPPPPAAAHHH .......

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

The gaffer on today's game on 15:23 - Oct 6 with 1451 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The gaffer on today's game on 04:18 - Oct 6 by DylanP

To be fair, you don't address a problem like our defense in one week. You may be able to begin the process of addressing it, but its a bit optimistic to think you can have that much impact on the fundamentals in one week of training.

Warburton's impact in a really short time, has been impressive. It takes a while for new ideas to sink in and for new systems to gel. We are definitely not the finished product by a long way. There are lots of gaps that the better teams will exploit. But the progress is unbelievable. Warburton has taken a bunch of youngsters and unwanted players and created a team that has looked superb at times. Obviously, there will be ups and downs but WOW!

COME ON U SOOOOOOPPPPPAAAHHH .......

Mark has 2 weeks to work with most of the squad courtesy of the international break. Whilst I don't expect him to solve all our defensive problems in that time-frame, it's more than enough time to tell Barbet to stop lunging in and teach him to jockey players.

As Clive says in the match report "I’m starting to come round to the idea of a hard Brexit."
The gaffer on today's game on 15:54 - Oct 6 with 1428 viewsPinnerPaul

The gaffer on today's game on 01:04 - Oct 6 by Benny_the_Ball

Very very difficult to get a red card for a challenge in the box under recent law changes.

Any attempt for the ball and its usually a yellow.

Has to be serious foul play or DOGSO WITHOUT attempting to play the ball for it to be a red.
The gaffer on today's game on 22:48 - Oct 6 with 1330 viewsoldmisery

The gaffer on today's game on 15:23 - Oct 6 by Benny_the_Ball

Mark has 2 weeks to work with most of the squad courtesy of the international break. Whilst I don't expect him to solve all our defensive problems in that time-frame, it's more than enough time to tell Barbet to stop lunging in and teach him to jockey players.

As Clive says in the match report "I’m starting to come round to the idea of a hard Brexit."

My issue with Barbet is that he seems to go to ground as a first resort. Do that in the area and it's inevitably going to mean a pen. Does anyone know what his record was at Brentford? This season he's played twelve games and conceded three pens or one every four games. At this rate he will have given the opposition around 12-13 goals because we don't have Alex Smithies to save any of them. Don't know about Kelly's record. Even though he saved one in the Leauge Cup game, his stupid dancing about yesterday ensured that he was always going to get beaten and Joe's record is hopeless. I believe he's faced 11 pens in first team games, 10 were scored and one sailed over the bar!
The gaffer on today's game on 03:15 - Oct 7 with 1273 viewsnix

The gaffer on today's game on 22:48 - Oct 6 by oldmisery

My issue with Barbet is that he seems to go to ground as a first resort. Do that in the area and it's inevitably going to mean a pen. Does anyone know what his record was at Brentford? This season he's played twelve games and conceded three pens or one every four games. At this rate he will have given the opposition around 12-13 goals because we don't have Alex Smithies to save any of them. Don't know about Kelly's record. Even though he saved one in the Leauge Cup game, his stupid dancing about yesterday ensured that he was always going to get beaten and Joe's record is hopeless. I believe he's faced 11 pens in first team games, 10 were scored and one sailed over the bar!

According to the player he'd conceded two from memory over five years previously. One possible explanation is that he's more exposed in our system than formerly and panics? He does seem to get caught wrong side quite a bit. Not sure if that's because he is encouraged to push up or because he's not getting his positioning right.

I agree though that nearly every time he goes to ground in the pen he gives away a penalty and a definite goal and a possible booking So it would seem better for him to not go to ground and risk the player scoring and hope that someone covers when he does get caught out of position.
Login to get fewer ads

The gaffer on today's game on 03:28 - Oct 7 with 1268 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The gaffer on today's game on 15:54 - Oct 6 by PinnerPaul

Very very difficult to get a red card for a challenge in the box under recent law changes.

Any attempt for the ball and its usually a yellow.

Has to be serious foul play or DOGSO WITHOUT attempting to play the ball for it to be a red.

Really? Check out the highlights of Millwall v. Leeds. Leeds defender concedes a penalty and receives a red card for a fairly tame challenge with other defenders around.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 3:28]
The gaffer on today's game on 09:58 - Oct 7 with 1118 viewsPinnerPaul

The gaffer on today's game on 03:28 - Oct 7 by Benny_the_Ball

Really? Check out the highlights of Millwall v. Leeds. Leeds defender concedes a penalty and receives a red card for a fairly tame challenge with other defenders around.

Firstly the other defenders around doesn't change the fact that it WAS an obvious goalscoring opportunity for me.

The referee has decided that wasn't a 'genuine attempt for the ball'

He does seem to deliberately trip him and there wasn't really any chance of him getting the ball from his position.

Barbet's challenge is different - it WAS an attempt for the ball at least.
The gaffer on today's game on 10:20 - Oct 7 with 1101 viewsbosh67

The main difference was that Barbet actually did get to the ball first this time. The problem was his follow through was almost instant and it cleared out Dack. To be fair I said penalty immediately. The ref would have seen it as a pen. Dack would have felt it as a pen and only Barbet really knew he had touched the ball away first. Barbet has improved hugely over the last few games but as everyone says he needs to stay on his feet and not dive in every time. It's almost gifting a pen.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The gaffer on today's game on 18:53 - Oct 8 with 964 viewsPinnerPaul

The gaffer on today's game on 03:28 - Oct 7 by Benny_the_Ball

Interestingly the player has won his appeal against the red card!

Of course what we don't know is if this is because

a) Panel didn't think it was a foul
b) Didn't think it WAS DOGSO
c) Thought it WAS DOGSO but WAS a genuine attempt for the ball
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024