Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neil leaves Preston 19:14 - Mar 21 with 2359 viewsloftboy

Anyone seen that coming?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Neil leaves Preston on 19:28 - Mar 21 with 2299 viewsVancouverHoop

Seems a bit unfair. PNE having been punching above their weight for several years with Neil in charge. On a bad run, yes. But surely he's got a bit of credit in the bank.
Neil leaves Preston on 19:45 - Mar 21 with 2225 viewsbakerloo8

Decent manager to be fair. Wont be long before hes back at another midtable Champ club I'd guess (not us).
Neil leaves Preston on 20:05 - Mar 21 with 2146 viewsE15Hoop

Judging by the quotes on the BBC website, I think he could se it coming himself:

"The basics at the moment, we're finding really difficult to do and that makes it really difficult to win football matches," he said.

"People talk about knowing your best team, but if I'm being honest, I haven't got a Scooby-Doo what that is at the moment.

"Your best team generally has reliability and you're getting your best out of it week in, week out. At the moment, we're nowhere near that."

10/10 for honesty. Probably didn't help his cause much, though..
Neil leaves Preston on 20:19 - Mar 21 with 2103 viewsrsonist

Saw them midseason in the first Rovers derby and thought him a goner, players just looked over it and drifting. It was in the middle of an injury crisis however and as soon as players returned results picked up... for a spell.

Just read a 17-page thread about it on pne-online and honestly couldn't really boil it down to a straightforward narrative, it's a strange one.

Basically he was great to begin with, they were and remain cross the board didnt push to back him, then things just went stale, he ran out of ideas and got stubborn, the football was bad.

"Just relieved it's all over, the last 18 months Alex has been stubborn in his tactics, stubborn in his selections and stubborn in leaving it get to this point.
In 40 odd years watching PNE, most of the football in the last 12 months equals Westleys as the most insipid I've witnessed at Deepdale"

"most fans will point at the players leaving when out of contract but we couldn’t buy a home win before Christmas with all our big 5. "

"He’ll probably have an initial positive impact at the next club that appoints him. It seems to me that the meticulous and detailed focus on each opponent probably inspires confidence among the players initially, who probably see a detailed and structured process. Such data driven detailed analysis in most walks of life tends to add credibility to a plan or process. He had us punching above our weight for a majority of the first 2.5-3 seasons.
Obviously he hasn’t been backed financially generally, but at times it has been borderline negligence on the part of those above - Stockley, Maguire, and Nugent as your forwards for that second half of last season when well placed in January springs to mind.
The low player turnover means the same players have been listening to the same message for 4 years. The focus on the opposition becomes the norm, the players gradually desensitised to the message, creative freedom is frowned upon. The planning and detail is now a chore to the players and they lose belief in the process. All accompanied by a gradual and then marked decline in the quality of the playing staff. Maybe 3 seasons is the natural life cycle of a manager like Neil."

"No it won't change because the same people will still be at the club no matter who the manager is. Brentford is a model we should be aspiring too. Selling our best players for maximum profit and then reinvesting that profit into youth/scouting and new signings. Letting your best players run down their contracts to the final year is just unacceptable and very irresponsible for a club running on a low budget."

"I was talking to someone the other day who said that Hemmings periodically clears all the clubs outstanding bills and we all know how he heavily subsidises the club and keeps them afloat to the tune of £1m per month....
If we lose Hemmings then we need to find another benefactor."

"The correct decision for Neil to go, all be it a few weeks late. It was blatantly obvious that he didn't want to be here and I'd expect he will be starting next season somewhere else, A good manager but an exceptionally stubborn one, the views of the Norwich fans on his appointment appear to have been spot on. although after his first season with us, I thought they were talking rubbish.

Whilst he may not have got his first choice in the transfer market, there is no guarantee that under his style of play any would have prospered, certainly the likes of Armstrong. He seemed to make a point of discarding players who were perhaps not his first choice to prove a point, which was disrespectful to the owner who was shelling out for them and also the fans. His treatment of Bayliss and Riis has been embarrassing, I suspect Whiteman was next on his radar.

I'm not going to tar McAvoy with Neil's brush. A very well respected ex member of the backroom staff told me before the first lockdown, that at times the backroom staff were bemused at his team selections and even more so at his substitutions. He also said he was only interested in stifling the opposition and not in playing to our own strengths, which frustrated many of them."
Neil leaves Preston on 20:23 - Mar 21 with 2083 viewsE15Hoop

Neil leaves Preston on 20:19 - Mar 21 by rsonist

Saw them midseason in the first Rovers derby and thought him a goner, players just looked over it and drifting. It was in the middle of an injury crisis however and as soon as players returned results picked up... for a spell.

Just read a 17-page thread about it on pne-online and honestly couldn't really boil it down to a straightforward narrative, it's a strange one.

Basically he was great to begin with, they were and remain cross the board didnt push to back him, then things just went stale, he ran out of ideas and got stubborn, the football was bad.

"Just relieved it's all over, the last 18 months Alex has been stubborn in his tactics, stubborn in his selections and stubborn in leaving it get to this point.
In 40 odd years watching PNE, most of the football in the last 12 months equals Westleys as the most insipid I've witnessed at Deepdale"

"most fans will point at the players leaving when out of contract but we couldn’t buy a home win before Christmas with all our big 5. "

"He’ll probably have an initial positive impact at the next club that appoints him. It seems to me that the meticulous and detailed focus on each opponent probably inspires confidence among the players initially, who probably see a detailed and structured process. Such data driven detailed analysis in most walks of life tends to add credibility to a plan or process. He had us punching above our weight for a majority of the first 2.5-3 seasons.
Obviously he hasn’t been backed financially generally, but at times it has been borderline negligence on the part of those above - Stockley, Maguire, and Nugent as your forwards for that second half of last season when well placed in January springs to mind.
The low player turnover means the same players have been listening to the same message for 4 years. The focus on the opposition becomes the norm, the players gradually desensitised to the message, creative freedom is frowned upon. The planning and detail is now a chore to the players and they lose belief in the process. All accompanied by a gradual and then marked decline in the quality of the playing staff. Maybe 3 seasons is the natural life cycle of a manager like Neil."

"No it won't change because the same people will still be at the club no matter who the manager is. Brentford is a model we should be aspiring too. Selling our best players for maximum profit and then reinvesting that profit into youth/scouting and new signings. Letting your best players run down their contracts to the final year is just unacceptable and very irresponsible for a club running on a low budget."

"I was talking to someone the other day who said that Hemmings periodically clears all the clubs outstanding bills and we all know how he heavily subsidises the club and keeps them afloat to the tune of £1m per month....
If we lose Hemmings then we need to find another benefactor."

"The correct decision for Neil to go, all be it a few weeks late. It was blatantly obvious that he didn't want to be here and I'd expect he will be starting next season somewhere else, A good manager but an exceptionally stubborn one, the views of the Norwich fans on his appointment appear to have been spot on. although after his first season with us, I thought they were talking rubbish.

Whilst he may not have got his first choice in the transfer market, there is no guarantee that under his style of play any would have prospered, certainly the likes of Armstrong. He seemed to make a point of discarding players who were perhaps not his first choice to prove a point, which was disrespectful to the owner who was shelling out for them and also the fans. His treatment of Bayliss and Riis has been embarrassing, I suspect Whiteman was next on his radar.

I'm not going to tar McAvoy with Neil's brush. A very well respected ex member of the backroom staff told me before the first lockdown, that at times the backroom staff were bemused at his team selections and even more so at his substitutions. He also said he was only interested in stifling the opposition and not in playing to our own strengths, which frustrated many of them."

Sounds like they won't be going after Aitor Karanka then!😂
Neil leaves Preston on 21:41 - Mar 21 with 1921 viewskarl

Neil leaves Preston on 20:23 - Mar 21 by E15Hoop

Sounds like they won't be going after Aitor Karanka then!😂

Talk in Scotland that Aberdeen might be in for him, their players have just been freed of the turgid Derek McInnes, they'll be delighted when Neil walks through the door😂
Neil leaves Preston on 22:05 - Mar 21 with 1866 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I can't say that I'm entirely shocked. Preston have been thoroughly underwhelming of late. Given that they are neither going up nor down, it actually makes sense to make the change now and allow the incoming manager more time to plan for next season.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 23:24]
Neil leaves Preston on 22:11 - Mar 21 with 1845 viewsdaveB

I thought they were pretty poor whenever i saw them last season and this year they were not any better, did a good job overall there but they have looked like a club who needed a new manager for a while now
Login to get fewer ads

Neil leaves Preston on 22:45 - Mar 21 with 1774 viewsderbyhoop

They didn't finish last season well. And they'd stopped selling players for big money ( Hugill?).
I remember, pre this season, speculating that both PNE and Bristol C had run out of steam after years of progress. Both clubs have lost managers recently. Just for once, I might have known what I was talking about.

Now we seem on an upward trajectory while those 2 clubs go the other way.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Neil leaves Preston on 22:54 - Mar 21 with 1738 viewskensalriser

I wonder if his exit went something like this?

Got in front of the door straight away so no one else could open it.

Got in the chairman’s face questioning the decision.

Sat down on the floor claiming cramp.

Finally left the building walking very, very slowly.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Neil leaves Preston on 07:27 - Mar 22 with 1571 viewsdistortR

what a club.
trevor hemmings, peter risible and ched evans.
i wish them all the worst
Neil leaves Preston on 09:39 - Mar 22 with 1435 viewsfrancisbowles

Neil leaves Preston on 22:54 - Mar 21 by kensalriser

Neil leaves Preston on 15:24 - Mar 22 with 1242 viewsCamberleyR

Wild Thing favourite to replace Neil.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Neil leaves Preston on 15:26 - Mar 22 with 1228 viewsflynnbo

Neil leaves Preston on 15:24 - Mar 22 by CamberleyR

Wish him well.
Neil leaves Preston on 15:39 - Mar 22 with 1194 viewsDorse

Neil leaves Preston on 22:54 - Mar 21 by kensalriser

Masterful

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Neil leaves Preston on 16:41 - Mar 22 with 1114 viewsPinnerPaul

Neil leaves Preston on 15:24 - Mar 22 by CamberleyR

Hopefully he gets the job, keeps them up and we get to see him at KPFS next season!
Neil leaves Preston on 18:05 - Mar 22 with 1041 viewsLowerloftLad

oddly enough the odds for the next two managers to leave there clubs in the championship was Neil at preston

followed by Ainsworth at wycombe so maybe the bookies are on to something with the Ainsworth replacement.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 18:06]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024