Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Four Day Week Three Day Bender 10:05 - Jul 6 with 4229 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Four-day week 'an overwhelming success' in Iceland https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57724779
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 10:10 - Jul 6 with 2309 viewsDaBurgh

Absolutely agree, this 2 day weekend malarkey has gone on long enough.
Always stated that I would be happy doing four 9 hour days, to get a three day weekend. I'm retired in france now so hey ho.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 11:28 - Jul 6 with 2236 viewscolinallcars

When Mr Heath put the country on a three day week in the seventies my Dad was furious. He'd only been working two.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 11:59 - Jul 6 with 2162 viewsbosh67

A four day week working 10am-4pm would be the ideal scenario for getting the most out of a general workforce. It could also work for those who work best at night to work 12am-6am four days a week. Productivity definitely increases with more recovery time. They have been doing this in Germany in certain companies for years and it seems to have worked really well there.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:10 - Jul 6 with 2143 viewsMick_S

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 11:59 - Jul 6 by bosh67

A four day week working 10am-4pm would be the ideal scenario for getting the most out of a general workforce. It could also work for those who work best at night to work 12am-6am four days a week. Productivity definitely increases with more recovery time. They have been doing this in Germany in certain companies for years and it seems to have worked really well there.

Apart from the football team.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:16 - Jul 6 with 2126 viewsMatch82

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 11:59 - Jul 6 by bosh67

In principle I'm all for this. And I think in a lot of industries it would work. But in a highly capitalist society such as the US this really means in some jobs you'd just get paid 4 days instead of 5 for doing the same amount of work.

Absolutely no chance the big companies are going to just pony up 20% more workforce, they'd reduce wages of their current staff and find ways of getting them to do more work
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 12:17]
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:17 - Jul 6 with 2122 viewsrobith

Triggered by this and the replies to Alan Sugar saying everyone should go back to the office and he'd never hire ppl who wanted to work from home - Always surprises me how many people in this country actively want their lives to be worse when it comes to working? People love to take bosses' sides. So odd
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:38 - Jul 6 with 2076 views80s_Boy

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:17 - Jul 6 by robith

Triggered by this and the replies to Alan Sugar saying everyone should go back to the office and he'd never hire ppl who wanted to work from home - Always surprises me how many people in this country actively want their lives to be worse when it comes to working? People love to take bosses' sides. So odd

The problem is that for many of us when we have 4 day weeks because of Bank Holidays there isn't simply enough time in those 4 days to complete everything and we need to stay later most nights to catch up.

This isn't anything to do with bad bosses or Capitalism but because we have various degrees of responsibility.

Those proposing this have good intentions but are a bit niave with this one-size fits all approach.

Unskilled workers would benefit hugely from this as would those with jobs where tiredness can cause significant H+S issues and that's who those campaigning should focus their campaign on rather than trying to convince the Nation it is the solution for everyone.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:39 - Jul 6 with 2074 viewsDavieQPR

The Icelandic 4 day week cut their working week from 40 hrs to 36 hrs. this is equivalent to working 9am to 6.45pm with one 3/4 hour break. So not really 6 hr days.
Login to get fewer ads

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:57 - Jul 6 with 2003 views80s_Boy

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:39 - Jul 6 by DavieQPR

The Icelandic 4 day week cut their working week from 40 hrs to 36 hrs. this is equivalent to working 9am to 6.45pm with one 3/4 hour break. So not really 6 hr days.

Finish at 6:45?That's if you finish on time too...

Who does that benefit?

If you're lucky you'll be home by 7:30 - 7:45 and you might get a chance to say goodnight to any children you have. If you haven't any, you'll be lucky to spend a couple of hours with your partner after you've had dinner before it's time for bed and the chances are you'll be too tired to have any intimacy when you're there too.. .
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:06 - Jul 6 with 1979 viewsBklynRanger

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 12:57 - Jul 6 by 80s_Boy

Finish at 6:45?That's if you finish on time too...

Who does that benefit?

If you're lucky you'll be home by 7:30 - 7:45 and you might get a chance to say goodnight to any children you have. If you haven't any, you'll be lucky to spend a couple of hours with your partner after you've had dinner before it's time for bed and the chances are you'll be too tired to have any intimacy when you're there too.. .

I don't think 6.45's too bad at all if it equals a day off. As you'll know based on your earlier post, a lot of the time people are finishing at 6.45 anyway but still working 5 days a week.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:19 - Jul 6 with 1939 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Some odd replies.

You’ll have more hours to give your (or someone else’s) missus one, go to the football, drown kittens, or whatever your bag is and your boss will be happy because you’ll be a happier more productive employee.

Leisure industry booms, kids see their parents more, and hopefully you won’t get to 70 knackered and die slumped over a keyboard.

If your responsibility exceeds the hours you have, your employers probably need more staff! Also there is no such thing as unskilled work. No way could I clean an office block every day properly or cycle round London delivering kebabs for 18 hours.

There is no catch. Everyone wins it seems.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 13:26]
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:23 - Jul 6 with 1920 views80s_Boy

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:06 - Jul 6 by BklynRanger

I don't think 6.45's too bad at all if it equals a day off. As you'll know based on your earlier post, a lot of the time people are finishing at 6.45 anyway but still working 5 days a week.

For me, and I hope everyone else on this board, finishing as late as 6:45 is an extreme rarity and something I would never accept becoming the norm.

It's not just spending less time with the wife it's about lifestyle.

I'm a regular theatre attendee, for example, and if I have tickets to an evening performance I like to have a meal beforehand or, if attending by myself, like to cycle from work along the river or through the parks to unwind and forget about the working day.

Likewise, if we have a night match at Loftus Road I hate going straight from the office to the ground. I like to have a beer or two en route to switch off.

I hate the idea of losing that extra hour/hour and a half and heading straight into a theatre or stadium straight after a day at work and tube journey.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:24 - Jul 6 with 1917 viewsfrancisbowles

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:06 - Jul 6 by BklynRanger

Be a rush to get to KPFS (Loftus Rd) for those midweek games.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:30 - Jul 6 with 1893 viewsBklynRanger

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:24 - Jul 6 by francisbowles

Be a rush to get to KPFS (Loftus Rd) for those midweek games.

Maybe start at 8/8.30 those days?

But I take your point, and 80s Boy's points above - it's not for everyone, and won't work all the time. But it's worth seriously considering, and not just as a compressed hours options - which is what the three of us are really going on about at this moment I think.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 13:33]
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:39 - Jul 6 with 1863 views80s_Boy

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:19 - Jul 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Some odd replies.

You’ll have more hours to give your (or someone else’s) missus one, go to the football, drown kittens, or whatever your bag is and your boss will be happy because you’ll be a happier more productive employee.

Leisure industry booms, kids see their parents more, and hopefully you won’t get to 70 knackered and die slumped over a keyboard.

If your responsibility exceeds the hours you have, your employers probably need more staff! Also there is no such thing as unskilled work. No way could I clean an office block every day properly or cycle round London delivering kebabs for 18 hours.

There is no catch. Everyone wins it seems.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 13:26]

"Also there is no such thing as unskilled work. No way could I clean an office block every day properly or cycle round London delivering kebabs for 18 hours."

Not sure I can agree with the 1st part of your statement.

Although all jobs require some skills/knowledge to complete, quite often unique skills, the term has been accepted as a catch all phrase for jobs which require little education to undertake. It's not a derogatory term. Shelf stackers in supermarkets are clearly 'unskilled' as are theatre ushers, for example, if we accept that term.

Also, I did argue in favour of those whose jobs require full attention to maintain Health and Safety standards. Your hypothetical delivery man should not be driving/cycling around for 18 hours a day in the first place and would, rightfully, benefit hugely from an extra day off work (as would all other road users in his vicinity). However, he would not benefit from the finish later system adopted by Iceland.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:43 - Jul 6 with 1850 viewsR_from_afar

Back on topic, a friend has worked four day weeks (the same number of hours as her previous five day weeks) for years and it seems manageable for her.

My dad - RIP - used to work 10 days on, 4 days off. Pretty brutal that!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:46 - Jul 6 with 1840 views80s_Boy

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:30 - Jul 6 by BklynRanger

Maybe start at 8/8.30 those days?

But I take your point, and 80s Boy's points above - it's not for everyone, and won't work all the time. But it's worth seriously considering, and not just as a compressed hours options - which is what the three of us are really going on about at this moment I think.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 13:33]

For me the earlier start wouldn't be beneficial either to be honest.

I don't live further than a hour from work (when transport is working well) but to get here for 8/8:30 would mean having to get up earlier and either going to be earlier the night before or going through a longer day.. Neither are great options!

Work/life balance is crucial and it's something I am keen to promote/manage within my team. However, the 4 day week simply wouldn't work for us or many people I know unless it was a reduction in hours but I don't believe companies should pay us the same for less and they will find a way to recoup losses in snidey ways - such as reducing bonus payments - which helps no-one.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 13:47]
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:14 - Jul 6 with 1775 viewsKonk

A couple of my colleagues negotiated switching to a 4 day week. I think they took something like an 8% pay cut and did an extra 1.5 hrs on the other 4 days - seeing as we usually worked through our lunchbreaks anyway due to the nature of the role - responsive to clients needs - it meant they just started/finished 30 mins early/late. Both of them had young families and used the additional day off to either be at home with pre-school children, or when they started school, to do things like golf and cycling, which they never got to do at the weekend. They also got a load of domestic stuff out of the way, so their weekends were free. I would be all over that.

Most people I know in the Netherlands who have the option, take a partial pay hit and work a four day week, even when they don't have kids.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:14 - Jul 6 with 1771 viewsaston_hoop

WFH was a game-changer for me as would a 4-day week be. The more that I can fit my work around my life rather than the other way round, the better things are. I also appreciate that my life is in no way the same as the next person and what works for me doesnt always work for them....but its nice to at least have the choice

I say because a couple of people in my workplace have returned to the office and have kicked up a fuss that because they do, everyone else should to. So instead its back to that pointless charade of traveling to an office each day to do something I can do perfectly fine at home but with far fewer benefits to me and no change to anyone else.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:31 - Jul 6 with 1733 views80s_Boy

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:14 - Jul 6 by Konk

A couple of my colleagues negotiated switching to a 4 day week. I think they took something like an 8% pay cut and did an extra 1.5 hrs on the other 4 days - seeing as we usually worked through our lunchbreaks anyway due to the nature of the role - responsive to clients needs - it meant they just started/finished 30 mins early/late. Both of them had young families and used the additional day off to either be at home with pre-school children, or when they started school, to do things like golf and cycling, which they never got to do at the weekend. They also got a load of domestic stuff out of the way, so their weekends were free. I would be all over that.

Most people I know in the Netherlands who have the option, take a partial pay hit and work a four day week, even when they don't have kids.

Maybe the solution is widespread encouragement for companies and employees to consider it if they think they would benefit from such an arrangement and can come to a mutual agreement.

I think a big problem at the moment is that the loudest proponents seem to advocate changes to everyone/most but it is far too nuanced for that and brings to mind of one of the most observant analysis of Labour's 2019 Election disaster: that they failed to understand that not all working--class people found themselves living in a real life Ken Loach film.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:32 - Jul 6 with 1729 viewsSuperhoop83

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:14 - Jul 6 by aston_hoop

WFH was a game-changer for me as would a 4-day week be. The more that I can fit my work around my life rather than the other way round, the better things are. I also appreciate that my life is in no way the same as the next person and what works for me doesnt always work for them....but its nice to at least have the choice

I say because a couple of people in my workplace have returned to the office and have kicked up a fuss that because they do, everyone else should to. So instead its back to that pointless charade of traveling to an office each day to do something I can do perfectly fine at home but with far fewer benefits to me and no change to anyone else.

"I say because a couple of people in my workplace have returned to the office and have kicked up a fuss that because they do, everyone else should to. "

We had that at my firm last summer and it was incredibly annoying. People who had stayed at the office throughout the lockdown, at their express and very loud insistence, were suddenly portraying themselves as martyrs and sending emails to all staff saying that they should get back to the office to support them. This was in the midst of increased turnover and profits.

I used to work the odd day at home before Covid but was made to feel like a skiver by one or two bosses - and I am one of the bosses myself. In future I won't be made to feel so guilty when I am working from a desk at home, but it is not going to be a smooth ride as some people loathe change and, worse, don't trust people they cannot see working.

Suffering since 1978.

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:43 - Jul 6 with 1694 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 13:39 - Jul 6 by 80s_Boy

"Also there is no such thing as unskilled work. No way could I clean an office block every day properly or cycle round London delivering kebabs for 18 hours."

Not sure I can agree with the 1st part of your statement.

Although all jobs require some skills/knowledge to complete, quite often unique skills, the term has been accepted as a catch all phrase for jobs which require little education to undertake. It's not a derogatory term. Shelf stackers in supermarkets are clearly 'unskilled' as are theatre ushers, for example, if we accept that term.

Also, I did argue in favour of those whose jobs require full attention to maintain Health and Safety standards. Your hypothetical delivery man should not be driving/cycling around for 18 hours a day in the first place and would, rightfully, benefit hugely from an extra day off work (as would all other road users in his vicinity). However, he would not benefit from the finish later system adopted by Iceland.

It really is a derogatory term. I am told this on a daily basis by people called it.

Otherwise I catch your point, and I’m not suggesting you mean anything bad by it.

You are right. If this is going to happen, it’s going to be difficult. But so was the minimum wage, weekends, child Labour laws, and health and safety legislation but it will be worth it.

If your boss is giving you a hard time, which is what it sounds like to me, join a Union and organise.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 14:46]
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:51 - Jul 6 with 1669 viewsstowmarketrange

I work 4 days and then have 4 days off,but the downside is that I do 4x 12 1/2 hour shifts.I certainly enjoy the 4 days off.That does mean I have to work 4 weekends out of 8 though,which is a bit of a pain with the football starting again.
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:53 - Jul 6 with 1669 views80s_Boy

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:43 - Jul 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

It really is a derogatory term. I am told this on a daily basis by people called it.

Otherwise I catch your point, and I’m not suggesting you mean anything bad by it.

You are right. If this is going to happen, it’s going to be difficult. But so was the minimum wage, weekends, child Labour laws, and health and safety legislation but it will be worth it.

If your boss is giving you a hard time, which is what it sounds like to me, join a Union and organise.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 14:46]

"If your boss is giving you a hard time, which is what it sounds like to me, join a Union and organise."

I am a member of a union as is my Wife.

In 2017 I raised formal grievances with a former employer and, with Union support, settled for 6 months salary compensation.

My wife was made redundant last year but we were provided Whistleblower evidence that her redundancy was a sham process and, with Union assistance, launched an unfair dismissal claim through ACAS and Court which her former employer settled early.

However, my boss is absolutely amazing and so is the company I work for. The extra responsibility comes with my position and I don't resent it at all. I just can't fit everything into 4 days!
Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:54 - Jul 6 with 1666 viewsQPR_Jim

Four Day Week Three Day Bender on 14:32 - Jul 6 by Superhoop83

"I say because a couple of people in my workplace have returned to the office and have kicked up a fuss that because they do, everyone else should to. "

We had that at my firm last summer and it was incredibly annoying. People who had stayed at the office throughout the lockdown, at their express and very loud insistence, were suddenly portraying themselves as martyrs and sending emails to all staff saying that they should get back to the office to support them. This was in the midst of increased turnover and profits.

I used to work the odd day at home before Covid but was made to feel like a skiver by one or two bosses - and I am one of the bosses myself. In future I won't be made to feel so guilty when I am working from a desk at home, but it is not going to be a smooth ride as some people loathe change and, worse, don't trust people they cannot see working.

That sounds like the Chairman at my employer, want's everyone back in the office because we can't be trusted to work from home. Basically the company has already stated that we'll need risk assessments for future home working and the company won't assist with additional equipment or anything for those wanting to WFH part of the time.

Interestingly the monthly e-mails over this period are always very positive about how well we're doing working from home. The accounts this April showed that everyone's made a profit and productivity hasn't been impacted but they still want us in the office. I don't see what me sitting in traffic for an hour before and after work does to boost my productivity or my general mood.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024