Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amusing or concerning? 11:35 - Aug 1 with 18747 viewsMyke

I can't decide if I am amused or concerned by the negative backlash on here to one, ONE (narrow) away defeat - god only knows what Twitter was like!
Amused on one level, because I can remember a time when league tables weren't even compiled until the first three games were completed - now they are 'live' and a team's position literally changes by the minute.
Concerned because there was a similar reaction to McClaren's first three games in charge and the club panicked and brought in old strikers to assuage the fans. That should not happen again. That is NOT our identity anymore. We need to be patient. We may get an odd shallicking until our new defence and system beds in. Very likely (even without any more signings - which is unlikely) Shodipo, Dozzell and Dykes will now be regular starters and possibly Steph also, once everyone is fit. If, as I expect, we bring in a few more players, then you can likely add Kakay (who was actually okay on Sat) to that list. Two players were making their full debuts and another, with no training sessions, got a run out.
I firmly believe this team will get incrementally better as the season progresses. Not chalk and cheese performances like over the pat two seasons, but a gradual, tangible improvement. We may be in an around the relegation spaces for the first few weeks, but nobody ever got relegated in August or even September - and certainly not in JULY!!
Amusing or concerning? on 11:39 - Aug 1 with 6432 viewsLoftgirl

I will remind myself, after every defeat, Florist were bottom last September.
Amusing or concerning? on 11:53 - Aug 1 with 6352 viewsLogman

I found it amusing. Players being written off after one game. The brand described as 'same old' despite a new management team and handful of players. The DOF taking pelters . Some supporters aren't happy unless they are dissing the club.
Amusing or concerning? on 11:59 - Aug 1 with 6309 viewsRs_Holy

Amusing or concerning? on 11:39 - Aug 1 by Loftgirl

I will remind myself, after every defeat, Florist were bottom last September.

poor old Chris Hughton ... to be bottom with the players and size of squad Forest have! Will he ever manage a team again?
Amusing or concerning? on 12:29 - Aug 1 with 6220 viewsswisscottage

It just seemed it was the same old moaning voices who'd had a few weeks off over the summer just waiting for us to lose our first game before starting their torrent.

Last season I had really high expectations, and a high level of excitement before the start of the season.

This season nowhere near the same level of excitement or anticipation, and I wasn't expecting anything better than what we got at Blackburn. But unlike the regular moaners, I understand that its going to take time for Beale to bring around the necessary improvement in some players that will be required to put in winning performances without Chris Willock, and for the team to get used to the new system involved.

He's only going to improve things based on feedback from competitive matches, so in effect that work started on Saturday with some significant gaps identified that need to be worked on.
Amusing or concerning? on 12:35 - Aug 1 with 6192 viewsderbyhoop

Gross over reaction from far too many supposed QPR fans.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Amusing or concerning? on 12:43 - Aug 1 with 6160 viewsNorthernr

Been saying it all summer - this is going to be a tough season. They spent budget and cap space to chase a promotion last season, as everybody was begging them to do - we didn't get there, there is now limited budget and cap space to do anything about the team until we sell somebody else. We're going to have to patch the team up using loans, and they tend to come later in the window, and be very hit and miss. New manager, first gig, tough job. It's just simple maths and accountancy facts - whoever the manager is will face the same restrictions.
Amusing or concerning? on 13:03 - Aug 1 with 6078 viewsMyke

Amusing or concerning? on 12:43 - Aug 1 by Northernr

Been saying it all summer - this is going to be a tough season. They spent budget and cap space to chase a promotion last season, as everybody was begging them to do - we didn't get there, there is now limited budget and cap space to do anything about the team until we sell somebody else. We're going to have to patch the team up using loans, and they tend to come later in the window, and be very hit and miss. New manager, first gig, tough job. It's just simple maths and accountancy facts - whoever the manager is will face the same restrictions.

If we get the Millwall RB in, I assume you are looking at,at least £1m ('substantial') how is that going to be funded? They will be lucky to get 500K for Bonne if he goes back to his beloved Ipswich or wherever. Will someone else need to be sold?
Amusing or concerning? on 13:06 - Aug 1 with 6017 viewsbosh67

Someone on Facebash suggested Tyler Roberts wasn't good enough and he hasn't even played yet. I find some fans reactions absolutely incredible and I worry that some get up every morning and eat a huge bowl of stupid to see them through the day.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Amusing or concerning? on 13:07 - Aug 1 with 6030 viewsNorthernr

Amusing or concerning? on 13:03 - Aug 1 by Myke

If we get the Millwall RB in, I assume you are looking at,at least £1m ('substantial') how is that going to be funded? They will be lucky to get 500K for Bonne if he goes back to his beloved Ipswich or wherever. Will someone else need to be sold?

That's why I'd be surprised if we did get the Millwall full back.

You can lose £39m over a rolling three year period. We 'only' lost £4m in the last set of accounts (2020/21) but that included the Eze sale, so let's add that back on for 2021/22 when we undoubtedly took on some big salaries and predict we lost £24m (we find out in February-ish) that doesn't leave a lot of room at all for this season. So, yes, someone else needs to be sold.
Amusing or concerning? on 13:08 - Aug 1 with 6025 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Amusing or concerning? on 13:03 - Aug 1 by Myke

Remembering back to my Championship manager days I would have just sold Niko to Man utd for £20mil hehe
Amusing or concerning? on 13:10 - Aug 1 with 6005 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Amusing or concerning? on 13:07 - Aug 1 by Northernr

That's why I'd be surprised if we did get the Millwall full back.

You can lose £39m over a rolling three year period. We 'only' lost £4m in the last set of accounts (2020/21) but that included the Eze sale, so let's add that back on for 2021/22 when we undoubtedly took on some big salaries and predict we lost £24m (we find out in February-ish) that doesn't leave a lot of room at all for this season. So, yes, someone else needs to be sold.

Weren't the FL going to relax that losses column due to Covid or are your figures taking into account the relaxation?
Amusing or concerning? on 13:11 - Aug 1 with 5999 viewsNorthernr

Amusing or concerning? on 13:10 - Aug 1 by Welsh_Ranger

Weren't the FL going to relax that losses column due to Covid or are your figures taking into account the relaxation?

No I've just gone with very basic figures. There was some relaxation, and there are also disallowable costs to do with infrastructure and things like that so not all of the loss counts against FFP.
Amusing or concerning? on 13:16 - Aug 1 with 5949 viewsTonto

it is noticeable how some posters only come on here after a loss.

but its not limited to football. people are generally very negative. and the internet brings out the worst in them. they keyboard warriors who type frantically into whatever social media or email they like, without ever thinking about the human at the other end. debate can only be carried out in bite sized chunks because their attention span can extend beyond 140 characters, or make use of actual (and not conveniently made up facts.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Amusing or concerning? on 13:32 - Aug 1 with 5858 viewsconnell10

I'm not really a negative poster but I think what concerned me was our lack of goal threat. Just like us to work the opposition goalie a bit more. I think that's fair enough.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Amusing or concerning? on 13:39 - Aug 1 with 5802 viewsSonofpugwash

It's as much to do with the times we live in - instant gratification.

I demand patience - and I want it now.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Amusing or concerning? on 13:49 - Aug 1 with 5750 viewsdmm

I'm tempted to think the moaning was ever thus but on reflection, I'm not sure it was; at least this early in the season. Football fans have always enjoyed getting carried away or having a rant, but the vitriol and condemnation spewed out by so many is on a different level these days.

For me, the high level of negativity is the effect social media has on football supporters' opinions and perspectives, as it is in so many areas of life. The ability to have a considered and thoughtful response to life seems to be disappearing.
Amusing or concerning? on 13:50 - Aug 1 with 5754 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

We all like a whinge, but I’m always suspicious of those that moan all the time, win draw or lose. Feels like overcompensating about what a great fan they are, as if they more you moan the more you care. In reality it just bums everyone else out.

Maybe i‘m just a shit fan but I’m here for the journey not the destination. Wins and losses roll off my back equally to be honest. It was a great day but I was over the Play Off final by Monday. I get longer lasting joy from from a day out with the lads on a away day defeat to Preston.

It’s about the craic isn’t it, and I find it amusing when any QPR fan goes OTT at a defeat as if it‘s unexpected or against the grain. Where have you been for the last 140 years!
Amusing or concerning? on 14:41 - Aug 1 with 5580 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Amusing or concerning? on 13:50 - Aug 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

We all like a whinge, but I’m always suspicious of those that moan all the time, win draw or lose. Feels like overcompensating about what a great fan they are, as if they more you moan the more you care. In reality it just bums everyone else out.

Maybe i‘m just a shit fan but I’m here for the journey not the destination. Wins and losses roll off my back equally to be honest. It was a great day but I was over the Play Off final by Monday. I get longer lasting joy from from a day out with the lads on a away day defeat to Preston.

It’s about the craic isn’t it, and I find it amusing when any QPR fan goes OTT at a defeat as if it‘s unexpected or against the grain. Where have you been for the last 140 years!

I think there are various factors contributing to the negativity on here. Saturday's result just prompted written opinions of issues that have probably been festering all summer.

Warburton was our most popular manager since NW. That makes MB's job harder as people will subconsciously slip into remembering the Warburton years romantically. Of course if anyone is actually whinging about MB after one game they're thick. Or a troll. Or both.

We've now been pretty wretched for 6 straight elapsed months.We have looked like a team that will struggle to create chances or score goals for a long time now. People get fatigued by disappointment and frustration. I don't believe that's a reflection upon 90 minutes of life with Mick Beale but rather reflective of us being a toothless predator for half a year.

As with any football team on planet earth - if you show relegation form for multiple months, there will be scrutiny into the players, who coaches the players, who recruits the players and how well we've managed our budget as well as comparisons to peer-level clubs. Scrutiny into the coaching of the players would be ridiculous right now, so the rest will get even more vitriol.

There are unpopular players at the club right now who we've spent a lot of money on relatively. Until those players start answering the critics back, they - and the person perceived to have recruited them - will be in the crosshairs.

It's a recipe for toxicity. God help Mick Beale if he gets off to a sustained bad start. The only antidotes are points on the board and / or entertaining football full of goals.
Amusing or concerning? on 14:56 - Aug 1 with 5508 viewsCiderwithRsie

Depends on how you read the backlash.

If it's people in denial that this is going to be a really tough season, not allowing for the fairly heavily trailed likelihood that we will have to rely on loans for strikers and those won't be finalised for several weeks, then, yeah, it's OTT nonsense.

If it's a realistic assessment that this is going to be a tough season, and that all the reasons we'd expect it to be tough were on display, then less so.

It's OK to write it off as predictable and anyway just one game, it's not OK to just assume things will come good - I like the look of Beale and I doubt he was surprised, but that doesn't make the size of the job any less.

I do expect an improvement as new players settle - the pre-season has been difficult because so short - maybe there'll be a breakthrough player (Armstrong?), Willock and Amos should make a difference and I expect a loan or two.
Amusing or concerning? on 15:27 - Aug 1 with 5407 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Amusing or concerning? on 12:43 - Aug 1 by Northernr

With respect Clive, I think a lot of people don’t need this telling and those that do, won’t listen anyway.

Personally, I’ve never been sure about LF/DoF arrangement. However, I’m the first to admit that I’m looking in from the outside these days, and I’m sure some sensible Rfosi could assuage any concerns I may harbour, just as others can put cogent arguments to the contrary.

This site like every forum around the world, will have its meltdown elements whom should be avoided as much in victory as in defeat. However, leaving hysteria aside, the issue is whether any of the questions raised about LF/DOF post-Blackburn would have been valid if posted before the Starting XI took to the field on Saturday?

If they are, then they need answering if not, then onwards.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Amusing or concerning? on 16:06 - Aug 1 with 5282 viewsPinnerPaul

As I said on another thread, 1 game to go in the is first round of Championship fixtures, one away win and only 1 game with more than 1 goal in it.

Not much in this league, we're certainly not good enough to 'expect' an away win or be this distraught over a 1 goal defeat..... to anyone. That's my point - nor is anyone else.

Blimey imagine if we were Norwich, just relegated but lost their 1st game.
Amusing or concerning? on 16:17 - Aug 1 with 5216 viewspaulparker

Amusing or concerning? on 13:50 - Aug 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think it’s the opposite , if you dare question the board, manager or DOF your not a real fan or you think the club has millions of pounds to sign on players and are being unrealistic in expectations
I hate this losers mentality surrounding the club ( have we really been crap the last 140 years, the teams of the mid seventies, eighties and early nineties suggest otherwise)
I also don’t think anyone has gone OTT after Saturday, the usual happy clappers who like to think everything is rosy will have a snide comment about those who have concerns (genuine imo) in how the club is being run , there’s been no name calling or abusive posts , I mean this is a MB isn’t it where your allowed an opinion ?
The main concern for me is the money wasted and the role of Les , nothing personal against him I love the bloke but a DOF I’m not so sure and I think the last seven years have proved that
This club on the pitch has shown relegation form the last 6 months there’s no pace, no urgency, no fight , we are to easy to play against , there’s no winners here
I hope I’m wrong but I worry we are heading towards a drop

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Amusing or concerning? on 16:25 - Aug 1 with 5189 viewsstevec

I can remember when we were absolute crap, had a game at Watford, well beaten and we finally had a shot on target in the 80th minute. Massive ironic cheers from our end. Can’t remember if we had a corner at all but we probably did. Anyway the team got pelters and fully deserved it.

Step forward Blackburn , not a single shot on target and couldn’t even manage a corner. That is quite a mind boggling fact, 90 plus minutes of football without once troubling the keeper, without even banging a ball against a leg and getting a single corner.

Perhaps there’s a zero goals zero corners stat out there that can placate the dissenters, reassure us that it’s a regular occurrence, nothing to see here, get over yourselves. I doubt it.

Am actually a little surprised we’ve taken it as well as we have.
Amusing or concerning? on 16:26 - Aug 1 with 5190 viewshubble

Good OP - can I just say, without wishing to be pedantic - at all - it's shellacking...

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Amusing or concerning? on 16:29 - Aug 1 with 5176 viewsNorthernr

Amusing or concerning? on 16:25 - Aug 1 by stevec

I can remember when we were absolute crap, had a game at Watford, well beaten and we finally had a shot on target in the 80th minute. Massive ironic cheers from our end. Can’t remember if we had a corner at all but we probably did. Anyway the team got pelters and fully deserved it.

Step forward Blackburn , not a single shot on target and couldn’t even manage a corner. That is quite a mind boggling fact, 90 plus minutes of football without once troubling the keeper, without even banging a ball against a leg and getting a single corner.

Perhaps there’s a zero goals zero corners stat out there that can placate the dissenters, reassure us that it’s a regular occurrence, nothing to see here, get over yourselves. I doubt it.

Am actually a little surprised we’ve taken it as well as we have.

Isn't that to do with whether we think the team/players are trying or not? I've been at games where we've been sht, and cnts like Barton, Bosingwa, SWP were ambling around picking money up, and I've given them hell, ironic cheers for shots on target and all of that. Did the same in that Houston/Harford period when we had the players to be doing better, but they were all eyeing moves elsewhere and only half putting it in, including some who are still revered around the place. But whatever you say about the team we've got now, they may not be good enough, but I don't think they can be accused of not trying their best, at which point I think the pelters are just counter productive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024