Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brazil Protests 22:20 - Jun 21 with 1953 viewsmichael67

Not the country to hold the world cup in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23005159

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

Brazil Protests on 01:36 - Jun 22 with 1904 viewstimcocking

This is a long overdue protest. For a country with such a vast economy, the amount of poverty is huge, i'm not suprised the masses are rising up. Just a tiny percentage of predominantly white Brazilians with all the money in a predominantly non-white population. I have some Brazilian friends in England, they are all white and wealthy (they all have scary stories of being shot at or stuff). Not that colour is a big issue in Brazil, but there is a definite correlation between skin colour and wealth on average. Anyway, colour or not, one of the biggest have/have not divides going. I've thought from the outset that this world cup is likely to be the catalyst for an uprising of some sort in Brazil. It more or less seemed like a civil war was going on when i was there! Half the places we tried to go, we were told we couldn't go.

I've only been to Brazil for a total of a few weeks or so, so i'm not claiming to be an expert, but we got robbed on 5 seperate occasions and we were all seasoned travellers. I got my leg cut up quite badly in a fight with robbers once as well. (i bravely caught them up from behind and launched a counterattack, managed to land a couple of blows, ultimately ended up losing a shoe in the melee and still didn't get my sunglasses back :-(). From the moment we left the hotel in Salvador, we'd be followed every time by gangs of people hoping for an opportunity to rob us. We had to try and walk with the police or army wherever possible for protection. My brother got his beer stolen out of his hand as he went to drink it! No sunglasses, no watches, no books, no towels, they'd all be pinched immediately. I'm not kidding, they tried to steal my book at the beach when i was reading it. Typically the robbers were friendly, they just had nothing. They bloody well should be up in arms about the money being spent on the world cup when they don't have food or electricity or running water etc.

The best one while i was there; a police football team was travelling to a inter-police force football tournament by coach when they were held up by gunmen and relieved of all their football kits! I'm serious! Gotta love that.

Brazil is completely fcuked already. I couldn't believe they held the world cup there. Asking for trouble big time.

Sepp Blatter, you are a c@nt.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Brazil Protests on 02:40 - Jun 22 with 1893 viewsWanderR

Bodes well for Russia and Qatar.

Current location: OX10

Brazil Protests on 04:26 - Jun 22 with 1878 viewstimcocking

Brazil Protests on 02:40 - Jun 22 by WanderR

Bodes well for Russia and Qatar.

Two equally ridiculous decisions.

Not that i'm bitter about it or anything...
Brazil Protests on 08:14 - Jun 22 with 1848 viewsJAPRANGERS

Brazil Protests on 01:36 - Jun 22 by timcocking

This is a long overdue protest. For a country with such a vast economy, the amount of poverty is huge, i'm not suprised the masses are rising up. Just a tiny percentage of predominantly white Brazilians with all the money in a predominantly non-white population. I have some Brazilian friends in England, they are all white and wealthy (they all have scary stories of being shot at or stuff). Not that colour is a big issue in Brazil, but there is a definite correlation between skin colour and wealth on average. Anyway, colour or not, one of the biggest have/have not divides going. I've thought from the outset that this world cup is likely to be the catalyst for an uprising of some sort in Brazil. It more or less seemed like a civil war was going on when i was there! Half the places we tried to go, we were told we couldn't go.

I've only been to Brazil for a total of a few weeks or so, so i'm not claiming to be an expert, but we got robbed on 5 seperate occasions and we were all seasoned travellers. I got my leg cut up quite badly in a fight with robbers once as well. (i bravely caught them up from behind and launched a counterattack, managed to land a couple of blows, ultimately ended up losing a shoe in the melee and still didn't get my sunglasses back :-(). From the moment we left the hotel in Salvador, we'd be followed every time by gangs of people hoping for an opportunity to rob us. We had to try and walk with the police or army wherever possible for protection. My brother got his beer stolen out of his hand as he went to drink it! No sunglasses, no watches, no books, no towels, they'd all be pinched immediately. I'm not kidding, they tried to steal my book at the beach when i was reading it. Typically the robbers were friendly, they just had nothing. They bloody well should be up in arms about the money being spent on the world cup when they don't have food or electricity or running water etc.

The best one while i was there; a police football team was travelling to a inter-police force football tournament by coach when they were held up by gunmen and relieved of all their football kits! I'm serious! Gotta love that.

Brazil is completely fcuked already. I couldn't believe they held the world cup there. Asking for trouble big time.

excellent interesting post Tim!
And the Olympics is due to be held in Brazil in 2016 too. Surely have to change the country for that one??
Brazil Protests on 09:44 - Jun 22 with 1808 viewsTheBlob

Largest number of Catholics on the globe.Welcome to the wonderful world of overpopulation.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Brazil Protests on 10:22 - Jun 22 with 1785 viewsPommyhoop

Shouldve been over here instead of Qatar.It would be a brilliant WC here.Middle of Winter here but still clear blue skies and low 20 degrees.But nah lets have it in the Middle East in the middle of Summer with the mercury touching the 50's.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Brazil Protests on 14:27 - Jun 22 with 1729 viewsMrSheen

Brazil Protests on 10:22 - Jun 22 by Pommyhoop

Shouldve been over here instead of Qatar.It would be a brilliant WC here.Middle of Winter here but still clear blue skies and low 20 degrees.But nah lets have it in the Middle East in the middle of Summer with the mercury touching the 50's.

Weren't Australia undermined by the FIFA rule that demands exclusive use of the stadia 3 weeks either side of the tournament? You can't see the AFL and the NRL standing aside for a rival in the middle of their season, and there's a limit to the number of 40,000 seat stadia Australia needs.

The biggest scandal going is the Sochi Winter Olympics, which is being held in a warm beach resort and which is going to cost $50bn, three times the cost of the London Summer Olympics and more than the previous 24 Winter Olympics put together.
Brazil Protests on 16:26 - Jun 22 with 1692 viewsTacticalR

A genetic study found that the Brazilians are much more European than they look:

In spite of racial diversity, European genetic ancestry predominates in Brazil
http://en.mercopress.com/2011/02/28/in-spite-of-racial-diversity-european-geneti

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Brazil Protests on 21:22 - Jun 22 with 1650 viewssmegma

Was in Rio 3 weeks ago for the England game. It didn't sell out for the main reason the ridiculous prices being asked. England fans were charged £47. Tickets were still on sale the day before the game with the cheapest tickets a whopping £100 face value. Spoke to a Brazilian lad who worked in the Fluminense Football Museum who said he would love to go but couldn't afford a ticket. He said the average wage was about £150 and two thirds of that on a match ticket was totally out of the question. Its like us being asked to pay £300 to watch England at Wembley.
And with all the poverty, it must be a kick in the teeth that the tourist authority runs 'favela tours' whereby you go and visit the slums. They charge each person £32 for the privilege as well.And the toursits were lapping it up. It made me feel sick.
Brazil Protests on 21:45 - Jun 22 with 1621 viewsHayesender

Brazil Protests on 21:22 - Jun 22 by smegma

Was in Rio 3 weeks ago for the England game. It didn't sell out for the main reason the ridiculous prices being asked. England fans were charged £47. Tickets were still on sale the day before the game with the cheapest tickets a whopping £100 face value. Spoke to a Brazilian lad who worked in the Fluminense Football Museum who said he would love to go but couldn't afford a ticket. He said the average wage was about £150 and two thirds of that on a match ticket was totally out of the question. Its like us being asked to pay £300 to watch England at Wembley.
And with all the poverty, it must be a kick in the teeth that the tourist authority runs 'favela tours' whereby you go and visit the slums. They charge each person £32 for the privilege as well.And the toursits were lapping it up. It made me feel sick.

And I bet none of that £32 ends up helping the poor!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Brazil Protests on 21:52 - Jun 22 with 1615 viewssmegma

Brazil Protests on 21:45 - Jun 22 by Hayesender

And I bet none of that £32 ends up helping the poor!

One of the reasons I didn't go, another being why would ANYONE want to visit some slum dwellings.
Brazil Protests on 00:21 - Jun 23 with 1568 viewsBrazilNutR

Brazil Protests on 21:52 - Jun 22 by smegma

One of the reasons I didn't go, another being why would ANYONE want to visit some slum dwellings.

Everything in Brazil is overpriced...even not taking wages into account. If you scale prices to the minimum wage of a bout 200 quid a month, prices are just ridiculous. I've been here 6 years, and basically don't buy anything but food and essentials. And just do my shopping when i return home or go on holiday..
Corruption among politicians is rife... the spending of public money is totally screwed up, and just riddled with theft, waste and blatant corruption. Crime is pretty bad, although I've been fairly ok myself.. but hear plenty of stories all the time, the type that scare you. I'm not suprised about all the protests, I have been saying to my wife ever since I came here 'people would be out protesting if this happened back home' every week...so I'm actually pleased to see the people doing something..
Apart from that, I've been to salvador a few times, and never been a victim of crime, and had some of the best holidays of my life..amazing beaches etc. And on the whole, I'd say Brazil is a great holiday destination if you take care..
Brazil Protests on 01:39 - Jun 23 with 1551 viewsqprissimo

To be fair those tours are run by people who live in the favelas. Didn't go though.
Brazil Protests on 04:13 - Jun 23 with 1537 viewsPommyhoop

Great Film.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Brazil Protests on 04:53 - Jun 23 with 1531 viewstimcocking

There are really awesome backstreet bars in Brazil, all full of people spilling out singing, dancing, jamming, having a good time. Exactly what you hope to find. Unfortunately, these'll all be no-go areas for "westerners", you will have to hang out in the mainstream bars with Brazil's equivalent of the public school brigade. wealthy predominantly white elite out partying with Daddy's pocket money and they don't give a rat's arse people are starving around the corner. I've never heard one of my Brazilian mates talk about poverty before. And i've never met one who isn't wealthy, certainly by Brazilian standards.

To me Brazil is disappointing, certainly if you don't speak Portugese. Rio certainly isn't that great if you take away the spectacular topography.

I don't dispute there are some stunning looking chickies out that way mind you, Hell's teeth.

Brazil Protests on 19:41 - Jun 23 with 1480 viewsFredManRave

I'd want to visit "slum dwellings" so I could appreciate how incredibly difficult, sad and dangerous daily life is for a huge amount of people. It helps put your own lifestyle into perspective and will at the very least make you appreciate alot more your own lifestyle and the luxuries that get taken for granted.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Brazil Protests on 11:55 - Jun 24 with 1418 viewssmegma

Brazil Protests on 19:41 - Jun 23 by FredManRave

I'd want to visit "slum dwellings" so I could appreciate how incredibly difficult, sad and dangerous daily life is for a huge amount of people. It helps put your own lifestyle into perspective and will at the very least make you appreciate alot more your own lifestyle and the luxuries that get taken for granted.

Having travelled to 55 countries in literally every corner of the world, I appreciate what I've got I can assure you. Brazil was one of the most disappointing on the poverty front considering its supposed to be the 4th biggest economy in the world. Countries in SE Asia would love to achieve the same GDP figures that Brazil does.

BTW The FA organised a fans match with some locals which happened to be in a favela up the top of a mountain by the Jesus statue, I went along to watch as a mate was playing. We weren't charged £32 for the privilege though. We had a whip round on the coaches and raised £400 for the favela project that we visited. The money went directly to the organisation that runs the sports centre in the favela.
Brazil Protests on 12:03 - Jun 24 with 1405 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Did anyone study Belo Horizonte in Geography? That was 20 years ago I see it hasn't changed.
Enjoyed reading that Tim, sounds more like Venezuela than Brazil.

I want to go to Argentina, those German descended girls are stunning I've met a few on fb.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Brazil Protests on 13:19 - Jun 24 with 1375 viewsstowmarketrange

Brazil Protests on 01:36 - Jun 22 by timcocking

Our post office football team played against a team of prison officers from Durham in Wallsend,Newcastle,and their coach got broken into while they were in the pub with us after the match.The culprits were found pretty quickly according to police reports.
Brazil Protests on 16:46 - Jun 24 with 1354 viewsBrazilNutR

Brazil Protests on 12:03 - Jun 24 by Metallica_Hoop

Did anyone study Belo Horizonte in Geography? That was 20 years ago I see it hasn't changed.
Enjoyed reading that Tim, sounds more like Venezuela than Brazil.

I want to go to Argentina, those German descended girls are stunning I've met a few on fb.

the girls in the south of Brazil...Rio Grande de Sul. Florianopolis etc...are probably what you are looking for. Lots of German influence in those parts..its where all the models tend to come from.. and they get more and more tanned as you head north up the country.

Brazil Protests on 16:55 - Jun 24 with 1348 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Brazil Protests on 16:46 - Jun 24 by BrazilNutR

the girls in the south of Brazil...Rio Grande de Sul. Florianopolis etc...are probably what you are looking for. Lots of German influence in those parts..its where all the models tend to come from.. and they get more and more tanned as you head north up the country.

Thanks for the info.

I've got no plans at the moment but if someone moves back to Colombia that will probably be my first port of call to visit her then Argentina.

Want to do Montevideo as well to see the Graf Spee. (or what's left of it)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024