Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 13:40 - Jun 16 with 11139 viewsqprxtc

Take it away, far, far away and stick it up your bum. Absolute cobblers of a thing.

Ref makes a decision. That’s that. He’s either a w@nker or doesn’t know what he’s doing there and then. Don’t need another eight people taking ten minutes to confirm that.

Stick it up your bum.
VAR on 15:07 - Jun 16 with 6886 viewsdaveB

did it take 10 minutes though? Probably less than a minute for the France penalty, every other decision has been about 20 seconds
VAR on 15:10 - Jun 16 with 6883 viewsDeepcutHoop

Making stuff up to support your opinion.
VAR on 07:33 - Jun 18 with 6585 viewstimcocking

It's another example of be careful what you wish for.

I was so completely in support of using replays etc., in theory i probably still am. Thus far, though, it's been something of a nightmare and is definitely going to ratchet up the stress levels involved in watching a game. I've absolutely hated is so far.

I just bet a 'small team' like Rangers is going to be mercilessly cheated in any replay decisions (albeit we already suffer that from the refs). Can people really see Mourinho's United being as likely as QPR in having a goal over turned?

Besides, i think it's almost impossible to be sure of the contact in a replay on lots of occassions.
VAR on 07:51 - Jun 18 with 6571 viewsLythamR

I think it will prove itself over the tournament

its certainly not 100%, there is no way the swiss goal should have been allowed to stand there should be an enquiry about why that goal was allowed to stand
VAR on 08:48 - Jun 18 with 6500 viewsstevec

VAR on 07:51 - Jun 18 by LythamR

I think it will prove itself over the tournament

its certainly not 100%, there is no way the swiss goal should have been allowed to stand there should be an enquiry about why that goal was allowed to stand

If the brazilian was in the air at the time I’d agree with you, but with his feet firmly planted he should never of allowed himself to lose his balance. Wasn’t even a shove just a hand in his back.

Disallow that goal, to take that to it’s logical conclusion every corner should result in a free kick or a penalty! This over analysis of contact would kill the game.
VAR on 09:17 - Jun 18 with 6445 viewsPhildo

Shocked to say I think it is working ok- I expected to hate it. It seems to have stopped a lot of diving around as well. Players know they will get caught 9 times out of 10.

Going to affect tactics long term though and likely to see a return to big lumps up front as no one can touch them.
VAR on 09:22 - Jun 18 with 6435 viewsNorthernr

I thought it would be sht and it is. That Australian penalty incident they showed him two angles from the side where it looked a penalty, then he ran off and awarded it. Next replay, from behind the goal, shows him getting a toe to the ball first. Supposed to only be used for clear and obvious mistakes, which that wasn't. Supposed to take all the doubt and human error out of things, when actually it's just introduced a whole new level of controversy and uncertainty because we're constantly wondering and asking whether that's going to be referred, has it been referred and they're looking at it, should it have been referred if it wasn't and so on. And it's all anybody is talking about. The whole thing is a gigantic pain in the ars. It's already ruined one of my favourite sports and now it's setting sail on the other.

VAR on 09:33 - Jun 18 with 6399 viewsQPR_John

VAR on 09:22 - Jun 18 by Northernr

I thought it would be sht and it is. That Australian penalty incident they showed him two angles from the side where it looked a penalty, then he ran off and awarded it. Next replay, from behind the goal, shows him getting a toe to the ball first. Supposed to only be used for clear and obvious mistakes, which that wasn't. Supposed to take all the doubt and human error out of things, when actually it's just introduced a whole new level of controversy and uncertainty because we're constantly wondering and asking whether that's going to be referred, has it been referred and they're looking at it, should it have been referred if it wasn't and so on. And it's all anybody is talking about. The whole thing is a gigantic pain in the ars. It's already ruined one of my favourite sports and now it's setting sail on the other.

Agree 100%
Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 09:47 - Jun 18 with 6363 viewsDanVanDyke

VAR on 09:22 - Jun 18 by Northernr

It's absolutely horrible. I watch a lot of Serie A on BT and to be fair, it's worked quite well in Italy season gone. Not hugely intrusive, big errors only, but so far at the WC it's been poor.

How France got the pen, I'll never know. The first contact that toed the ball was outside the box, so I think it was given for the trailing leg making contact with the heel of the striker. It should be like cricket (where it sort of works) to overturn an absolute howler but retain some benefit of the doubt to the ref. For example, in the FRA v AUS game, ref doesn't give it, not enough evidence to overturn, so no pen. I could handle captains have two reviews to use in the game more than the current system.

As a Swiss fan, it was heart in mouth time last night for our goal when I should of just been able to celebrate like crazy! Pundits giving it large about foul as well, p'd me right off, if that had been England, it would have been 'got to have some contact in the box, letting the defender know he's there, etc' which is exactly what it was.

None of us likes reffing howlers and the Rs have been on the end of a fair few, but players make mistakes, refs make mistakes, just get on with it. The TV over analysis has brought this in and causing even more analysis after the match. All made for your neutral, armchair fan who doesn't give a flying about either team.

Clive - is the other sport Rugby League? I'm starting to get well into that as my 12 year old is playing for Newcastle Thunder's under 12 development team. We decided to support Widnes in the Super League as they have a Newcastle kit (I know, I know...) which seems to have put the kiss of death on them!
VAR on 10:09 - Jun 18 with 6305 viewsShunter

Cannot understand why VAR was not used on the Swiss goal.

A push is a push, does not matter if the player was in the air or his feet were
on the ground. The Swiss player gained an obvious advantage with that push, and created more space for himself to execute the header.
VAR on 10:11 - Jun 18 with 6295 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can’t believe there was any controversy over the Swiss goal. Never a foul even against the holier than thou cannot be breathed upon Brazilians.

Agree with the above. It should be for real howlers if it has to exist at all. Also, pundits are either overly keen for it to work or are being told to back it.
VAR on 10:15 - Jun 18 with 6269 viewsdaveB

So far though it's not been as bad as I expected. it was a farce in the Confederations cup a year ago but so far only the France game was affected and I thought that was a penalty. I'm not convinced it will work long term but so far it's not spoilt any of the games for me which I thought it would do.

It would help if it wasn't the main talking point from pundits, Billic said it best last night that he didn't care, The Swiss goal wasn't a foul, without VAR it wouldn't have got a mention as a foul, I think people are looking for problems with it. There will be some games where it goes wrong but we have plenty of games usually at a World Cup which are spoilt by referees anyway
VAR on 10:36 - Jun 18 with 6214 viewsjonno

VAR on 10:15 - Jun 18 by daveB

So far though it's not been as bad as I expected. it was a farce in the Confederations cup a year ago but so far only the France game was affected and I thought that was a penalty. I'm not convinced it will work long term but so far it's not spoilt any of the games for me which I thought it would do.

It would help if it wasn't the main talking point from pundits, Billic said it best last night that he didn't care, The Swiss goal wasn't a foul, without VAR it wouldn't have got a mention as a foul, I think people are looking for problems with it. There will be some games where it goes wrong but we have plenty of games usually at a World Cup which are spoilt by referees anyway

The Swiss goal was a clear foul. The defender was pushed in the back, and not just once. It's impossible to jump up to head the ball if you are pushed just as you are about to jump. I thought the referee was poor in that game as well, the Swiss were targeting Neymar from the start but the referee was incredibly lenient. Behrami was clearly detailed to kick Neymar out of the game and he continually fouled Neymar until he was booked in the 70th minute and was immediately replaced by somebody else to do the same job. The referee should have booked Behrami in the first 20 minutes when it was obvious what was happening. In the end it became ridiculous, Neymar was being fouled every time he got the ball and the Swiss were quite happy to kick the other Brazilians as well. Unbelievable that they only received two yellow cards during the game. If VAR isn't going to be used to disallow that goal then when will it be? As Mark Clattenburg said!
VAR on 10:48 - Jun 18 with 6188 viewsQPR_John

VAR on 10:36 - Jun 18 by jonno

The Swiss goal was a clear foul. The defender was pushed in the back, and not just once. It's impossible to jump up to head the ball if you are pushed just as you are about to jump. I thought the referee was poor in that game as well, the Swiss were targeting Neymar from the start but the referee was incredibly lenient. Behrami was clearly detailed to kick Neymar out of the game and he continually fouled Neymar until he was booked in the 70th minute and was immediately replaced by somebody else to do the same job. The referee should have booked Behrami in the first 20 minutes when it was obvious what was happening. In the end it became ridiculous, Neymar was being fouled every time he got the ball and the Swiss were quite happy to kick the other Brazilians as well. Unbelievable that they only received two yellow cards during the game. If VAR isn't going to be used to disallow that goal then when will it be? As Mark Clattenburg said!

The referee did not give the French penalty and was only called back by VAR to look at it again. VAR was not conclusive and as such as in cricket the referees original decision should stand. There was clearly a case for looking at the Swiss goal again but those looking at VAR chose not to ask the referee. So it seems all we have done is move from referees making mistakes to the VAR team making mistakes. It should be left to the players 3 referrals per game/half personnally I'd rather it not used at all. We have goal line technology and that really is the main contentious area.
VAR on 10:51 - Jun 18 with 6175 viewsqprrunner

Football really is a game of opinions. I thought Behrami was all over Neymar in the first half and was superb. Yes Neymar was fouled a lot but that happens when marking tight against someone tricky. Nothing cynical for me. If Neymar continually tries to do one trick too many instead of passing it, he is going to get fouled. I'm also of the opinion that when he puts it through an opponents legs as great as it looks, when he clearly cant get round his opponent to collect the ball and decides to throw himself on the floor shouldn't be awarded the freekick.

On the VAR incident, push or not it was extremely lightweight and poor defending. Poor defending should be punished. I feel that VAR actually worked well there and there would be more controversy if it'd been overturned.
VAR on 10:52 - Jun 18 with 6172 viewsstevec

As the Swiss R on here pointed out, you want to celebrate a goal but end up half celebrating and waiting to see if VAR gets called on. Football is about the wait and then the hoped for instant gratification, not this bóllocks,it's fckin up the game.

And another problem, from what I've seen, every time the ref gets called over to review his decision, he changes it. In other words, he knows those reviewing including his peers have called him wrong and he'd better put it right. Basically, the whole thing of him running over to look at the replay is a charade.
VAR on 11:08 - Jun 18 with 6140 viewsDanVanDyke

VAR on 10:51 - Jun 18 by qprrunner

Football really is a game of opinions. I thought Behrami was all over Neymar in the first half and was superb. Yes Neymar was fouled a lot but that happens when marking tight against someone tricky. Nothing cynical for me. If Neymar continually tries to do one trick too many instead of passing it, he is going to get fouled. I'm also of the opinion that when he puts it through an opponents legs as great as it looks, when he clearly cant get round his opponent to collect the ball and decides to throw himself on the floor shouldn't be awarded the freekick.

On the VAR incident, push or not it was extremely lightweight and poor defending. Poor defending should be punished. I feel that VAR actually worked well there and there would be more controversy if it'd been overturned.

Top post! I'm not always Behrami's biggest fan, especially as he's now seeing my Swiss poster girl (Lara Gut downhill skiier), but he had a great game last night.

Brazil only have themselves to blame. They were playing a high press and pressuring us into mistakes with trying to pass in triangles in our own half and then scored. At that point they retreated into their own half when we had the ball and allowed us to grow into the game, work some space and ultimately get a corner which resulted in Zuber's goal.

If they'd gone for the jugular they'd have won 2/3 nil and the VAR controversy wouldn't have mattered. The ITV pundits could then have w@nked on about samba football etc and not had to worry about filling time about VAR because they know f*ck all about Switzerland.
VAR on 12:06 - Jun 18 with 6071 viewsdaveB

I didn't think it was a foul, I think it would become a farce if they gave that as every corner would end up being a foul
VAR on 12:23 - Jun 18 with 6011 viewsTW_R

VAR on 12:06 - Jun 18 by daveB

I didn't think it was a foul, I think it would become a farce if they gave that as every corner would end up being a foul

I agree. Every time a player receives the ball with an opposition player close behind him he is more often than not being pushed in the back. Most decent players will either lean back into the other player or at least hold their ground.

It looked like poor defending to me. Ball into the box, 3 yards out. Free header. If you look at it again there were 7 (yes 7) Brazilians in the 6 yard box and only one Swiss attacker. Why didn't the keeper come and punch it?
VAR on 12:32 - Jun 18 with 5991 viewsozranger

VAR on 10:51 - Jun 18 by qprrunner

Am I missing something here. Surely the first sentence explains it all - opinions. I thought the whole idea here was that the VAR, in these penalty incidents gives advice to the referee, not directs him. That is, in the Oz v Frog game, the referee was advised to look at the video replay as they, the VAR committee, believed there was a possible doubt or human error in the decision. My memory is that the referee was not well sighted, quite some distance down the field. In the other incidents, the referee was generally right on the spot - seen clearly with the Swiss situation. Thus, the two (Oz v Frog against the others) are quite different and guidance was probably the more sensible alternative in the Oz game than in the others where the referee was right up with play.

That is, in the Swiss situation, the referee judged that there was no foul. The VAR saw that the referee was right up with play and saw the incident from close up and thus, even if they told the referee they felt it may have been a foul, the final decision would be up to the referee. That is what I believe that the VAR committee would have said to the referee immediately after the goal.

The interpretation of the VAR committee is to provide advice, to inform and not to make decisions. That is, at the final stage, the decision is left solely to the referee.
VAR on 13:46 - Jun 18 with 5891 viewsNorthernr

This thread shows perfectly why it will never work as it's intended i.e. to remove human error. Half of us think the Swiss goal was fine, half of us don't, so if they'd disallowed half of us would hate it and vice versa. The amount of times there's a shambolic, complete and utter cock up is maybe once a tournament, and that's when it should come in if they're going to use it but I think they should ditch it and stick with the GLT which is great.
VAR on 13:49 - Jun 18 with 5877 viewsNorthernr

VAR on 09:47 - Jun 18 by DanVanDyke

It's absolutely horrible. I watch a lot of Serie A on BT and to be fair, it's worked quite well in Italy season gone. Not hugely intrusive, big errors only, but so far at the WC it's been poor.

How France got the pen, I'll never know. The first contact that toed the ball was outside the box, so I think it was given for the trailing leg making contact with the heel of the striker. It should be like cricket (where it sort of works) to overturn an absolute howler but retain some benefit of the doubt to the ref. For example, in the FRA v AUS game, ref doesn't give it, not enough evidence to overturn, so no pen. I could handle captains have two reviews to use in the game more than the current system.

As a Swiss fan, it was heart in mouth time last night for our goal when I should of just been able to celebrate like crazy! Pundits giving it large about foul as well, p'd me right off, if that had been England, it would have been 'got to have some contact in the box, letting the defender know he's there, etc' which is exactly what it was.

None of us likes reffing howlers and the Rs have been on the end of a fair few, but players make mistakes, refs make mistakes, just get on with it. The TV over analysis has brought this in and causing even more analysis after the match. All made for your neutral, armchair fan who doesn't give a flying about either team.

Clive - is the other sport Rugby League? I'm starting to get well into that as my 12 year old is playing for Newcastle Thunder's under 12 development team. We decided to support Widnes in the Super League as they have a Newcastle kit (I know, I know...) which seems to have put the kiss of death on them!

Yes it is mate. Bad choice in Wines, they've been circling the drain for some time unfortunately. Nightmare CEO, who used to be CEO at Hull when we did things like find out three of our players were on drugs and cover it up.

The video referee in that is out of control now. Used to be a quick check of the grounding or foot in touch but has extended now to long, drawn out reviews of whether there was some spurious obstruction. Even worse, they've now started using it in open play to look for minor fouls, so in the TV game the plkayers have started laying on the floor holding their heads all the time, because they know if they stay down long enough for a replay to be shown it'll be reviewed, and if there's even a slight brush with the head it'll be a penalty and a yellow card. The TV games are consistently going on longer than two hours now. Farcical, and a complete change to a game that prided itself on being rough, tough, with none of the diving about and histrionics of football.
VAR on 13:56 - Jun 18 with 5861 viewsTacticalR

VAR on 13:46 - Jun 18 by Northernr

This thread shows perfectly why it will never work as it's intended i.e. to remove human error. Half of us think the Swiss goal was fine, half of us don't, so if they'd disallowed half of us would hate it and vice versa. The amount of times there's a shambolic, complete and utter cock up is maybe once a tournament, and that's when it should come in if they're going to use it but I think they should ditch it and stick with the GLT which is great.

The solution is obvious - we need VAR for the VAR.

The first committee will check that the referee's decision was correct. Then the second committee will check that the first committee's decision was correct.

Air hostess clique

VAR on 13:57 - Jun 18 with 5859 viewsNorthernr

VAR on 13:56 - Jun 18 by TacticalR

The solution is obvious - we need VAR for the VAR.

The first committee will check that the referee's decision was correct. Then the second committee will check that the first committee's decision was correct.

There's enough of them in that booth to do it TBF - has anybody explained why it needs three or four of them?
VAR on 14:16 - Jun 18 with 5815 viewsdaveB

Big problem with it will be that there have a few 50/50 calls such as Argentina penalty, the Swiss goal and rather than waste time reviewing what is a matter of opinion they have gone with the on field decision which I thought was the right call. What they will do now after getting stick for not using VAR is use it a lot more and then you'll have the same people on tv going mad at them not using it going mad that they are ruining the game by using it too much.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024