Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thailand advice please... 16:38 - Jul 1 with 8987 viewsWarfieldHoop

As usual whenever I go on a trip I always consult our intrepid community on here, this time I am heading to Thailand at the end of the month. (Not for the pre-season tour)

I shall be flying to and from Phuket spending a short amount of time there with most of the holiday being in Koh Samui.

Any advice on things/places to see, do or not to do and general tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thailand advice please... on 16:50 - Jul 1 with 7254 viewspastieR

hello mate,
just got back myself. It was amazing.
Don't know about koh samui.
But went to Phuket. It was fab.
It depends what you like?
I didn't like soi bangla it was too seedy for me! We went a couple of times and it can sound cost a bit if you get a couple of the girls attention! But patong beach seems to be the place to go at night. Have some of the street food if you go there, a good way to save some money by eating at one of the markets!
The best bit in phuket for me was going to the bottom and rawai beach. We took a traditional long boat across to Coral beach and went snorkeling, it was stunning.
It only cost just over 1000 bhat for an afternoon for two.

Also we went to thai boxing which was fun, but check who is fighting first as the first few fights were kids and women.

Anyhoo have fun, and if you can afford it hire a car, we got to see so much more of the island

have fun
Paul
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Thailand advice please... on 16:54 - Jul 1 with 7247 viewsPacal_Votan

When you get her thing thong off make sure ther's more than one place to go.

"Try the whine!!!"

Thailand advice please... on 17:07 - Jul 1 with 7232 viewspastieR

forgot to stay, get a traditiional thai massage.
if you are in bangkok for a bit, there is a pretty amazing spa that you can get one for 2hrs for 450 bhat.
As long as you can handle having bruises for a week!
Thailand advice please... on 17:14 - Jul 1 with 7222 viewsbarbicanranger

Warfield - how you getting to koh samui? - internal flight? - never been to KS but have done the west coast extensively...railay beach, ko lanta, pi pi, koh lak, phuket...if you want any advice on those let me know...

on phuket it depends what your bag is but we tried to avoid the big resorts as heard they were quite seedy...so headed to a "surf town" callled Kata Beach on the west side - it was really good, some decent restaurants (european and local cuisine), market stalls, amazing surf and if you go check out the ska bar on the beach, they do quality buckets and it goes on till the wee hours.
Thailand advice please... on 17:30 - Jul 1 with 7203 viewsandygg

In Koh Samui, relax on the beach, where you can also have a massage.
Go and see the male and female rocks (trust me, you will laugh)
Some decent waterfalls, food is great.... and if you`re single, sample the local girls.
Thailand advice please... on 17:35 - Jul 1 with 7196 viewsMatch82

Koh Samui is phenomenal, I went there in February. Weather is probably somewhat different now though.

No idea whether this is a trip with the family or a p*ss up, but if the former and you're near the north of the island, the Fishermans village near Bo Phut is a nice place to spend the evening.

If the latter, I think Chaweng beach is a lot more of a party scene.

Either way, I'd highly recommend an elephant ride, there are loads of places around the island. Most of what you see advertised are day trips, but if you ask around and ask the hotel concierge, they'll probably be able to sort something out for just a couple of hours.

I was only there for a couple of days, so didn't get a chance to try this, but I believe there is an island hopping scuba tour which is meant to be phenomenal if you're into that sort of thing. I think it's called Ang Thong.
Thailand advice please... on 18:08 - Jul 1 with 7170 viewsfLaMeBoY

Hope you like monsoon weather as you are going in the low season and what is classed as the monsoon season! Probably not the best place to head to if you want perfect weather as it is likely to be very hot and very wet. This guys website is a brilliant resource for all things Phuket and I referred to when I was there in November - http://jamie-monk.blogspot.co.uk/
Thailand advice please... on 19:28 - Jul 1 with 7102 viewsdubaistu

I've just come back from getting married in Koh Samui and have travelled throughout Thailand both west and east coast.

I've stayed at the Indigo Pearl in Phuket which was quality at the time having just been re-built after the tsunami. We took a trip down to Patong which isn't my scene, Phi Phi was quite disappointing.

Not sure who you're going with or what interests you have when in Koh Samui, but you're a short boat ride to Koh Phangan for a full moon party or a different experience from KS. If you like diving then Koh Tao is a little further away but still very good.

Try and get a boat trip into one of the national parks, they truly are stunning.

Have you booked hotels? If not I can recommend either top end or B&B which are equally as good as each other depending on what you expect. A friend owns a hotel in Lamai so I could help you here if need be??

Lamai is slightly more slutty than Chaweng but both have their own attractions in the evening. Waterfall 2 is nice and they do the elephant rides there also. Get a moped mate, only 150 baht a day (£3) so you can get around. If you have a dark side, I will email you about some other stuff you can get up to when you're there ;-) .

You'll have a great time and always eat the street food which for a fab curry or phad thai will cost you £1. Barter with the locals, it's all part of the game, don't pay more than 150 bhat for t-shirt for example.

Whilst I can direct you to some fun, one simple don't is get caught with drugs, wear a condom and don't bother choosing a fight with a local, they're locked and loaded and there will only be one winner.
Login to get fewer ads

Thailand advice please... on 19:31 - Jul 1 with 7098 viewsdubaistu

Thailand advice please... on 17:30 - Jul 1 by andygg

In Koh Samui, relax on the beach, where you can also have a massage.
Go and see the male and female rocks (trust me, you will laugh)
Some decent waterfalls, food is great.... and if you`re single, sample the local girls.

Haha the rocks! Forgot about them, did you ever pop into the Reggae Rock bar near there? Do the best happy shakes I've ever had!!
Thailand advice please... on 20:48 - Jul 1 with 7057 viewsWarfieldHoop

Cheers for the info guys. The diving, elephant rides and national park ideas all sound good.

I'm going with a small group of friends so the full moon party was already on the horizon!

Stu, thanks for the hotel info, I may come back to you on that. Our current idea is to just rock up and get one of the these beach house/chalet places that we've heard so much about. Probably around Chaweng.

On the weather front, I've been to other parts of Asia late summer (end of the monsoon season) and whenever there was a biblical storm it lasted a while and was then bone dry again not long after it stopped! And apparently the gulf of Thailand doesn't get it quite so bad as the mainland in the north so hopefully it will be ok most of the time (barring tsunamis!).
Thailand advice please... on 21:05 - Jul 1 with 7036 viewsBostonR

Thailand advice please... on 19:28 - Jul 1 by dubaistu

I've just come back from getting married in Koh Samui and have travelled throughout Thailand both west and east coast.

I've stayed at the Indigo Pearl in Phuket which was quality at the time having just been re-built after the tsunami. We took a trip down to Patong which isn't my scene, Phi Phi was quite disappointing.

Not sure who you're going with or what interests you have when in Koh Samui, but you're a short boat ride to Koh Phangan for a full moon party or a different experience from KS. If you like diving then Koh Tao is a little further away but still very good.

Try and get a boat trip into one of the national parks, they truly are stunning.

Have you booked hotels? If not I can recommend either top end or B&B which are equally as good as each other depending on what you expect. A friend owns a hotel in Lamai so I could help you here if need be??

Lamai is slightly more slutty than Chaweng but both have their own attractions in the evening. Waterfall 2 is nice and they do the elephant rides there also. Get a moped mate, only 150 baht a day (£3) so you can get around. If you have a dark side, I will email you about some other stuff you can get up to when you're there ;-) .

You'll have a great time and always eat the street food which for a fab curry or phad thai will cost you £1. Barter with the locals, it's all part of the game, don't pay more than 150 bhat for t-shirt for example.

Whilst I can direct you to some fun, one simple don't is get caught with drugs, wear a condom and don't bother choosing a fight with a local, they're locked and loaded and there will only be one winner.

Dubaustu-am off to Thailand next year. Can you give me some top end hotels?
Thanks
BostonR
Thailand advice please... on 21:16 - Jul 1 with 7029 viewsdubaistu

Thailand advice please... on 21:05 - Jul 1 by BostonR

Dubaustu-am off to Thailand next year. Can you give me some top end hotels?
Thanks
BostonR

Sure where are you staying?
Thailand advice please... on 20:42 - Jul 3 with 6923 viewsBostonR

Thailand advice please... on 21:16 - Jul 1 by dubaistu

Sure where are you staying?

koh Samui.
Thailand advice please... on 21:24 - Jul 3 with 6903 viewsDylanP

This is the rainy season. That sounds worse than it actually is. It'll rain a lot in the afternoon most days. It is really hot and steamy before the rain comes and feels much better once the rain has come and gone. The rain itself isn't bad because its warm -- so its not like in England where rain means cold and miserable.

If you have time, get a bus up north to the jungle. Chang Mai or, if you are more adventurous, Chang Rai (which is further north -- takes longer to get there but even less touristy). Get a jungle tour that includes elephants and white water rafting (most of them do). Its amazing.

As for the south, expect perfect gorgeous beaches, magic mushrooms, funky rave clubs at night, and did I mention the perfect beaches. Try and get a little boat out to even more fantastic islands. Even with the rain, everything will be fantastic.

Definitely go and see some temples. they are crazy cool. The Jade Buddah in Bankok is one I remember really liking.

The Thai people are really mellow and wam, so you don't feel hassled and stressed and ripped off. In general, Thailand is easy to travel around. They are used to back-packers and tourists so they are set up for it. It is third world, but doesn't seem as hassly as other third world countries I've been to.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Thailand advice please... on 22:27 - Jul 3 with 6873 viewsBazWoT

Surprised freeseat hasn't offered any assistance.

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

Thailand advice please... on 10:12 - Jul 4 with 6801 viewssmegma

Thailand advice please... on 19:31 - Jul 1 by dubaistu

Haha the rocks! Forgot about them, did you ever pop into the Reggae Rock bar near there? Do the best happy shakes I've ever had!!

I sat tripping on mushrooms looking at those two rocks on my 32nd bithday and what they got up to would make Linda Lovelace blush.And as you mentioned the reggae bar, they do wonderful mushroom omelettes. Do wonders for the mind.
Thailand advice please... on 10:17 - Jul 4 with 6792 viewssmegma

Thailand advice please... on 10:12 - Jul 4 by smegma

I sat tripping on mushrooms looking at those two rocks on my 32nd bithday and what they got up to would make Linda Lovelace blush.And as you mentioned the reggae bar, they do wonderful mushroom omelettes. Do wonders for the mind.

http://www.imagesoftheworld.org/thailand/hinta/
Thailand advice please... on 11:47 - Jul 4 with 6773 viewsenfieldargh

good site for hotels and cheap is http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand.html

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Thailand advice please... on 14:10 - Dec 3 with 6050 viewsFreeStory2

I advise you to collect information about real estate. The property market is growing and you can earn a lot of money. Read information about hotel on http://phuket9.com/grandkata/ , i think it is good choice
Thailand advice please... on 14:14 - Dec 3 with 6030 viewshopphoops

Ha ha, spam is obviously a dish that's best served cold.

Some blasts from the past among those posters, where are they now?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Thailand advice please... on 14:16 - Dec 3 with 6027 viewsderbyhoop

Went to KS a few years ago.
We stayed at the Peace Resort. Dreadful time overlooking the beach while having breakfast. Could have jumped off the decking onto the sand.
Take a trip around the island as a first. Will show you the basic sites, which you can go back to.
Chaweng beach was nice and the Fisherman's Village has plenty of restaurants.
Beware the Thai spicy salad. I was warned, didn't heed the advice and gave up with 8 red chillies left on the plate.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Thailand advice please... on 14:24 - Dec 3 with 6012 viewsFreeStory2

Thailand advice please... on 14:14 - Dec 3 by hopphoops

Ha ha, spam is obviously a dish that's best served cold.

Some blasts from the past among those posters, where are they now?

Where did you find spam???
Thailand advice please... on 14:50 - Dec 3 with 5976 viewsBoston

Thailand advice please... on 17:07 - Jul 1 by pastieR

forgot to stay, get a traditiional thai massage.
if you are in bangkok for a bit, there is a pretty amazing spa that you can get one for 2hrs for 450 bhat.
As long as you can handle having bruises for a week!

I was waiting for the bit that would bring Disco into the story.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Thailand advice please... on 19:04 - Dec 3 with 5834 viewstimcocking

Thailand advice please... on 16:50 - Jul 1 by pastieR

hello mate,
just got back myself. It was amazing.
Don't know about koh samui.
But went to Phuket. It was fab.
It depends what you like?
I didn't like soi bangla it was too seedy for me! We went a couple of times and it can sound cost a bit if you get a couple of the girls attention! But patong beach seems to be the place to go at night. Have some of the street food if you go there, a good way to save some money by eating at one of the markets!
The best bit in phuket for me was going to the bottom and rawai beach. We took a traditional long boat across to Coral beach and went snorkeling, it was stunning.
It only cost just over 1000 bhat for an afternoon for two.

Also we went to thai boxing which was fun, but check who is fighting first as the first few fights were kids and women.

Anyhoo have fun, and if you can afford it hire a car, we got to see so much more of the island

have fun
Paul
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

PastieR? Are you Cornish? I am, Helston boy. Kernow Bys veken. Got to love a pasty, although i'm puzzled by your incorrect spelling, so you can't be Cornish? Please explain.

Also, i live in Rawai, where you say. My usual watering hole is Paradise bar, far right hand end of Rawai. Beautiful quiet spot to watch the sun go down and consume a cleansing ale or two. But don't tell anybody, it's for locals not tourists. Apart from QPR fans obviously. If i'm in there, i'll be sat at the bar.
Thailand advice please... on 19:08 - Dec 3 with 5831 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It's not gay if the balls don't touch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024