Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel advice - PTY 15:02 - Nov 18 with 5035 viewsBucks_Ranger

Panama City, anyone been, do's and don'ts etc.

Many thanks
Travel advice - PTY on 15:12 - Nov 18 with 5019 viewsaston_hoop

Have the correct documents on arrival and someone Spanish speaking on speed dial if you don't speak the language. I got detained at Panama Airport for hours for no reason a few years back and I wasn't the only one. I was joining a boat on the Panama canal so I never got to stay there unfortunately so can't be much more help than that!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Travel advice - PTY on 15:33 - Nov 18 with 4997 viewsBucks_Ranger

Travel advice - PTY on 15:12 - Nov 18 by aston_hoop

Have the correct documents on arrival and someone Spanish speaking on speed dial if you don't speak the language. I got detained at Panama Airport for hours for no reason a few years back and I wasn't the only one. I was joining a boat on the Panama canal so I never got to stay there unfortunately so can't be much more help than that!

Thank you, correct documentation?
No visa is required and I have a valid passport, what else are they likely to need?
Travel advice - PTY on 15:40 - Nov 18 with 4985 views1MoreBrightonR

I was there for a few years when i was backpacking around central America. Not a huge amount to do in the City itself. It felt pretty safe though and other than one slightly dodgy shared cab ride (only because the driver didnt realise my gf was Spanish so had a conversation about his experiences with local prostituties with the other passenger ha ha).

Ah, just remembered...if you like fish, go to the fish market and get ceviche...about 15 stands selling it for a $1 a cup. it's so good!

I stayed in an amazing hotel as a birthday treat if you need a recommendation.
Travel advice - PTY on 15:44 - Nov 18 with 4979 viewsaston_hoop

Travel advice - PTY on 15:33 - Nov 18 by Bucks_Ranger

Thank you, correct documentation?
No visa is required and I have a valid passport, what else are they likely to need?

Yeah on checking, ignore what I said about documents. It seems no visa is required from the UK. I was travelling as a seaman so had some kind of documentation stating I could transit but they bloody detained me anyway. Even less reason to! Have a great trip, would love to get out to that side of the world properly at some point.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Travel advice - PTY on 16:17 - Nov 18 with 4938 viewsBucks_Ranger

Travel advice - PTY on 15:40 - Nov 18 by 1MoreBrightonR

I was there for a few years when i was backpacking around central America. Not a huge amount to do in the City itself. It felt pretty safe though and other than one slightly dodgy shared cab ride (only because the driver didnt realise my gf was Spanish so had a conversation about his experiences with local prostituties with the other passenger ha ha).

Ah, just remembered...if you like fish, go to the fish market and get ceviche...about 15 stands selling it for a $1 a cup. it's so good!

I stayed in an amazing hotel as a birthday treat if you need a recommendation.

Thanks Brighton, tell me more about the Fish, its in a cup, is it soup?
What was the hotel you recommend, the choice is vast, the Hardrock looks fun, the Waldorf looks classy..?
Travel advice - PTY on 16:59 - Nov 18 with 4908 views1MoreBrightonR

it's a little pot of raw fish (you choose what type...squid, snapper etc) with lemon juice,, onion and some herbs on it it think and maybe a tiny bit of chilli. By the time it arrives, the lemon juice has cooked the fish naturally so it isnt raw anymore. really good (and i didnt eat fish much then!). A photo here: http://www.loveantoinette.com/panama-city-in-a-heartbeat-a-photo-essay/

It was this place....
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g294480-d1907628-Reviews-Las_Clementin
very classy and small. Brother and sister got it for me as a 30th birthday present. Not great if you want a pool etc but the rooms were like luxury apartments in a old building.
Travel advice - PTY on 17:35 - Nov 18 with 4883 viewsBucks_Ranger

Travel advice - PTY on 16:59 - Nov 18 by 1MoreBrightonR

it's a little pot of raw fish (you choose what type...squid, snapper etc) with lemon juice,, onion and some herbs on it it think and maybe a tiny bit of chilli. By the time it arrives, the lemon juice has cooked the fish naturally so it isnt raw anymore. really good (and i didnt eat fish much then!). A photo here: http://www.loveantoinette.com/panama-city-in-a-heartbeat-a-photo-essay/

It was this place....
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g294480-d1907628-Reviews-Las_Clementin
very classy and small. Brother and sister got it for me as a 30th birthday present. Not great if you want a pool etc but the rooms were like luxury apartments in a old building.

Hi Brighton, thanks again, I love street food like that so will be sure to try it.
Unfortunately that lovely hotel is not available on my dates! - thanks anyway..
Travel advice - PTY on 22:43 - Dec 24 with 2928 viewsWellsLeyla

Travel advice - PTY on 17:35 - Nov 18 by Bucks_Ranger

Hi Brighton, thanks again, I love street food like that so will be sure to try it.
Unfortunately that lovely hotel is not available on my dates! - thanks anyway..

If I were you, I wouldn't carry my actual passport around. It's pretty dangerous. And don't forget to stay hydrated.
Login to get fewer ads

Travel advice - PTY on 23:30 - Dec 24 with 2838 viewsthame_hoops

I could’ve sworn you’ve been there Rob on the film set, or was that your mate?
Travel advice - PTY on 04:16 - Dec 25 with 2759 viewsSonofNorfolt

Partly inspired by Matthew Parker's excellent study of the building of the Panama Canal, 'Hell's Gorge', I spent a couple of days there about three years ago.
Easy enough to get to, there's a new wider entrance that one can't really see from the visitor centre, although if your timings are right a cruise liner may be passing through.
Pretty good all you can eat restaurant with a view though.
There's the ubiquitous touristy 'Old Town' which does have a good local rum bar where I spent far too long resulting in me not caring about where I ventured later, a mistake, as there are some moody areas back in the centre late at night.
My averagely priced hotel had a rooftop pool and bar, unusual only for the fact that vultures swarm above and occasionally land next to your sunbed to join you for a beer.
They're big buggers, graceful, but big and ugly.
Travel advice - PTY on 23:35 - Dec 25 with 2423 viewsAprilKey

Travel advice - PTY on 23:30 - Dec 24 by thame_hoops

I could’ve sworn you’ve been there Rob on the film set, or was that your mate?

It would be best to be with someone who knows Spanish. Not everyone in Panama speaks English. Always carry your ID and don't wander unfamiliar territories at night or alone.
Travel advice - PTY on 09:52 - Dec 26 with 2196 viewsjohann28

Best districts to stay:
Bella Vista (Best for bargains whilst still being in safe area)
Casco Viejo (Historic district)
Punta Paitilla (Upper class commercial district)
Punta Pacifica (High rises)
Marbella (Combo of expensive/mid range)
El Cangrejo (more residential)

Districts you might want to avoid:
Curundú
Santa Ana
El Chorrillo
San Miguelito

Been a while since I was there but the Istmo Brew Pub on C Eusebio A Morales Ave was excellent - microbrewery / sports bar type place.
Travel advice - PTY on 11:25 - Dec 26 with 2104 viewsqprissimo

I lived there for three years and Johann’s advice on areas is spot on. Lots of the fun nightlife is moving into Santa Ana now and lots of parts of it are safe. Generally, Panama City is safe so long as you don’t wander into the wrong neighbourhood.

Casco Viejo is beautiful and great for bars and restaurants. There is more upmarket stuff is along the Cinta Costera, Paitilla, Pacífico and San Francisco. It is, however, a better city to live in than it is to visit - aside from CV and the Canal there isn’t tons to see. That said, you can be in the rainforest in 15mins, Pacific beaches in 30, mountains in 40, Caribbean in an hour and on beautiful islands within a couple. Highly recommend visits to San Blas, Bocas del Toro and the peninsular around Las Tablas, Venao, Santa Catalina, etc.
Travel advice - PTY on 12:13 - Dec 26 with 2062 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Travel advice - PTY on 04:16 - Dec 25 by SonofNorfolt

Partly inspired by Matthew Parker's excellent study of the building of the Panama Canal, 'Hell's Gorge', I spent a couple of days there about three years ago.
Easy enough to get to, there's a new wider entrance that one can't really see from the visitor centre, although if your timings are right a cruise liner may be passing through.
Pretty good all you can eat restaurant with a view though.
There's the ubiquitous touristy 'Old Town' which does have a good local rum bar where I spent far too long resulting in me not caring about where I ventured later, a mistake, as there are some moody areas back in the centre late at night.
My averagely priced hotel had a rooftop pool and bar, unusual only for the fact that vultures swarm above and occasionally land next to your sunbed to join you for a beer.
They're big buggers, graceful, but big and ugly.

Graceful but big and ugly is what I’ve got on my Tinder profile.
Travel advice - PTY on 16:43 - Dec 26 with 1898 viewsBoston

Wear a hat.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Travel advice - PTY on 01:22 - Dec 27 with 1763 viewsSonofNorfolt

Travel advice - PTY on 16:43 - Dec 26 by Boston

Wear a hat.

They come from Ecuador.
Travel advice - PTY on 12:16 - Dec 27 with 1641 viewsBoston

Travel advice - PTY on 01:22 - Dec 27 by SonofNorfolt

They come from Ecuador.

...rarely with documentation.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.