Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 seconds from 3 points... 22:26 - Jan 2 with 3168 viewsqpr_1968

unlucky chaps, a point i would have taken from the start...
but...to draw that way, and i've just got in, i'm gutted, but not sick.....yet.

still love you my r's.

see up at fleetwood.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

3 seconds from 3 points... on 22:32 - Jan 2 with 3052 viewscolinallcars

As gutted as I am, I had a flashback to a cup semi final I was watching in a pub years ago, and the commentator blurted “ and United are just seconds away from Wembley……the referee's looking at his whistle “
3 seconds from 3 points... on 22:45 - Jan 2 with 2936 viewsHAYESBOY

Feel gutted now, but will be looking back on this game as a big improvement.

Smells like a trout farm in here

3 seconds from 3 points... on 23:22 - Jan 2 with 2740 viewsLowerloftLad

I'm still absolutely fuming. sad to think the mentality of the club is now "ohh at least we didn't lose" or well it was better than luton which to be frank wasn't too difficult.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2023 23:26]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

3 seconds from 3 points... on 23:30 - Jan 2 with 2641 viewsdaveB

had Cantona feels to it, although far less important, absolutely gutted
3 seconds from 3 points... on 00:06 - Jan 3 with 2502 viewsManinBlack

3 seconds from 3 points... on 23:30 - Jan 2 by daveB

Yes that image flashed through my mind. Another live game on Sky and no win. So similar to what happened against Forest last season also on Sky. I do feel this club has an inferiority complex at times sitting back at home trying to scrape out a 1-0 win against bigger clubs.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 02:26 - Jan 3 with 2346 viewsnumptydumpty

3 seconds from 3 points... on 00:06 - Jan 3 by ManinBlack

Yes that image flashed through my mind. Another live game on Sky and no win. So similar to what happened against Forest last season also on Sky. I do feel this club has an inferiority complex at times sitting back at home trying to scrape out a 1-0 win against bigger clubs.

Sheffield United and Forest are not bigger clubs than us !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

3 seconds from 3 points... on 06:53 - Jan 3 with 2124 viewsnix

3 seconds from 3 points... on 02:26 - Jan 3 by numptydumpty

Sheffield United and Forest are not bigger clubs than us !!

Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, our club is smaller than either of those two. Our average gates are just fourteen and a half thousand. Sheffield Utd's are 28k and Forest 29k. The only club in the Prem currently with lower gates than ours is Bournemouth and there are only seven clubs with lower gates in the Championship.

I know we love our club but it's not big in terms of support. We're passionate, we've got a great history, and there are die hard fans who go home and away but not enough of them. How many people on this message board even don't even go to games or buy the club stream? I should imagine there are a few and that's a fans forum. Not a criticism, everyone has a right to do so, but it doesn't make us a big club.

That's why I don't get too critical of our Board, Lee or Les. They obviously make mistakes but they're doing pretty well punching above our weight in the Championship on our budget. That's why it's ridiculous to me when people complain about what we charge or why don't we buy that £4 million striker.

I know I'm probably going to get lots of down arrows for this but it's not trying to be controversial oe critical of our fanbase it's just about facing facts. Trying to be realistic, not woe is me or imagining we should beat everyone, just about keeps me sane.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 08:11 - Jan 3 with 1961 viewsNorthantsHoop

3 seconds from 3 points... on 06:53 - Jan 3 by nix

Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, our club is smaller than either of those two. Our average gates are just fourteen and a half thousand. Sheffield Utd's are 28k and Forest 29k. The only club in the Prem currently with lower gates than ours is Bournemouth and there are only seven clubs with lower gates in the Championship.

I know we love our club but it's not big in terms of support. We're passionate, we've got a great history, and there are die hard fans who go home and away but not enough of them. How many people on this message board even don't even go to games or buy the club stream? I should imagine there are a few and that's a fans forum. Not a criticism, everyone has a right to do so, but it doesn't make us a big club.

That's why I don't get too critical of our Board, Lee or Les. They obviously make mistakes but they're doing pretty well punching above our weight in the Championship on our budget. That's why it's ridiculous to me when people complain about what we charge or why don't we buy that £4 million striker.

I know I'm probably going to get lots of down arrows for this but it's not trying to be controversial oe critical of our fanbase it's just about facing facts. Trying to be realistic, not woe is me or imagining we should beat everyone, just about keeps me sane.

I think you are right on this, we have always had a core of supporters but our fanbase is ageing, me included. We basically are a well established, respected 2nd tier club and that is where we will be for the foreseeable. To attract new support and lapsed supporters in an area that is now overloaded with clubs doing better than us will require promotion, major investment, new stadium and a large slice of luck.
Login to get fewer ads

3 seconds from 3 points... on 08:28 - Jan 3 with 1844 viewsHarbour

Disappointing but 4 points v that lot is a good return very unlucky not to get 6 but not the first time we have conceded at the death. Got to play to the final whistle and had chances to clear the ball. As others said big improvement hopefully Neil can instill confidence to go on a run.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 08:30 - Jan 3 with 1831 viewsstanistheman

3 seconds from 3 points... on 08:11 - Jan 3 by NorthantsHoop

I think you are right on this, we have always had a core of supporters but our fanbase is ageing, me included. We basically are a well established, respected 2nd tier club and that is where we will be for the foreseeable. To attract new support and lapsed supporters in an area that is now overloaded with clubs doing better than us will require promotion, major investment, new stadium and a large slice of luck.

Sadly , I agree with you and Nix on this.

Where I will be critical of the Board and DoF is on maybe a lack of ambition, ability to spot talented players or to negotiate etc, but that's for another thread.

As for last night, yes it was like the Forest game last season. We were poor at keeping possession in both games whilst trying to hang on to the slender lead and these tactics rarely succeed. However, with our current squad I guess it's about the best we could hope for.

Some investment or some wheeling and dealing will be needed this month if we are to stop the slide. Love his workrate, but Dykes is not a goalscorer and maybe we need to sell him and get 2 strikers in who will provide more in terms of a goal threat. There are strikers out there and it's for the DoF and his scouts to find them and negotiate deals to bring them to the club.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 08:35 - Jan 3 with 1784 viewsBrianMcCarthy

No down-arrow from me, Nix. This is where we are, and have been heading for some time mostly due to the FFP rules (and due to the mis-management after our two recent promotions).

I think you're right to be realistic, and I would feel the same.
Against that slightly, I have criticised them this week for striker recruitment over the past 5-10 years, and i remain critical/confused about the Cat 2 status of our Academy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

3 seconds from 3 points... on 08:58 - Jan 3 with 1662 viewsnix

3 seconds from 3 points... on 08:35 - Jan 3 by BrianMcCarthy

No down-arrow from me, Nix. This is where we are, and have been heading for some time mostly due to the FFP rules (and due to the mis-management after our two recent promotions).

I think you're right to be realistic, and I would feel the same.
Against that slightly, I have criticised them this week for striker recruitment over the past 5-10 years, and i remain critical/confused about the Cat 2 status of our Academy.

I think that's a fair discussion Brian and I wouldn't argue with questions about both those things.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 09:32 - Jan 3 with 1531 viewsPinnerPaul

30 seconds, but still a sickener.

In the cold (damp) light of day, they probably deserved a draw, but that was soooo much better from us.

Play like that against Burnely, we probably still lose, but the feelings so much better, play like that against Luton and we win, and win comfortably IMHO.

The effort/intensity was so much better.

Willock and Chair playing and playing near each other and Dykes and Roberts putting in decent shifts made a huge difference.

With those 4, I wonder if we needed Tim as well, obviously he's injured but with SJ in there next to Sam I think we might have won that.

All ifs, buts and maybes, but the main thing is the improvement was good to see.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 09:46 - Jan 3 with 1486 viewsdavman

All these debates about what makes a club "big" just seem like Willy Wanging or "my dad's bigger than your dad" shite. We are what we are and spent the years between when I was 11 and 22 as a very well run and respected top flight team above many, many so called "big clubs".

When it comes to income (the defining feature of football's current rule book), we will be somewhere between the Championship and League One. So, anything above there and we are "punching above our weight".

It will have been said before, but the team we played last night has a player they spent £23m on playing; way, way more than we spent. We'll debate how "fair" that is another day, but to take 4 points off them and so nearly take 6 off them is something to be proud of...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

3 seconds from 3 points... on 09:49 - Jan 3 with 1472 viewsnix

Yes Davman. Us taking four out of six points from them will sting, especially given their massively larger budget and expensive signings. It's a great effort.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 10:00 - Jan 3 with 1442 viewsNortholt_Rs

3 seconds from 3 points... on 09:46 - Jan 3 by davman

All these debates about what makes a club "big" just seem like Willy Wanging or "my dad's bigger than your dad" shite. We are what we are and spent the years between when I was 11 and 22 as a very well run and respected top flight team above many, many so called "big clubs".

When it comes to income (the defining feature of football's current rule book), we will be somewhere between the Championship and League One. So, anything above there and we are "punching above our weight".

It will have been said before, but the team we played last night has a player they spent £23m on playing; way, way more than we spent. We'll debate how "fair" that is another day, but to take 4 points off them and so nearly take 6 off them is something to be proud of...

Great post. I’m gutted like all of us but last night was such a massive improvement on our other recent games I think Critchley deserves huge credit - I was expecting another 0-3 spanking. Playing Willock and Chair together is a no brainer…..but everybody put in a shift last night. Hopefully the players and manager can build on this - play like that every game and we will win far more than we will lose. COYRs!!!!!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

3 seconds from 3 points... on 11:29 - Jan 3 with 1344 viewsloftus77

3 seconds from 3 points... on 23:30 - Jan 2 by daveB

Yep - flashed through my mind straight away - always the template.

But, as said, not nearly as 'important' and (surely...) the footballing long-term consequences will be massively less grievous.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2023 11:30]
3 seconds from 3 points... on 11:38 - Jan 3 with 1301 viewsBerkoRanger

3 seconds from 3 points... on 10:00 - Jan 3 by Northolt_Rs

Great post. I’m gutted like all of us but last night was such a massive improvement on our other recent games I think Critchley deserves huge credit - I was expecting another 0-3 spanking. Playing Willock and Chair together is a no brainer…..but everybody put in a shift last night. Hopefully the players and manager can build on this - play like that every game and we will win far more than we will lose. COYRs!!!!!

Totally agree. Even though I was just as gutted at the end, the performance showed me that IF we can possibly get in 2 or 3 bodies to help (esp up front) the future with NC and the coaches looks very positive.
I'm sure the Board will be straining every sinew.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 11:49 - Jan 3 with 1257 viewsMelakaRanger

I expected us to get hammered but we played far far better than I have seen for many weeks. From the Luton game to this in just a few days, from essentially the same team. How does that happen? It was chalk and cheese.

We deserved the 3 points last night. Dykes was immence (if only he could scores goals) and even Roberts put in a decent shift. Chair & Willock together was like it was back in September.

I truly hope this is now the turning point for us and thats a turning point for us improving and starting to win regularly again and not for us to regress to the performances of the past 8 or 9 matches.

Credit due to everyone of the pitch (and off).

Now lets go and win the cup match by atleast 4 goals...........
3 seconds from 3 points... on 11:58 - Jan 3 with 1215 viewscolinallcars

3 seconds from 3 points... on 09:46 - Jan 3 by davman

I think, overall, the club has done really well over the years. When I started we were in div 3(south) and had to finish in the top half to avoid div 4 the following season, which we only just managed.
Who would have thought then with gates sometimes only 5 or 6 thousand that we would have several spells in the top flight inc 13 consecutive seasons and playing in Europe.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 12:02 - Jan 3 with 1207 viewskensalriser

The performance was the best thing about this game. If Critchley can continue that we'll be fine and back in the play-off mix.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

3 seconds from 3 points... on 12:11 - Jan 3 with 1176 viewsjohnhoop

3 seconds from 3 points... on 11:49 - Jan 3 by MelakaRanger

I expected us to get hammered but we played far far better than I have seen for many weeks. From the Luton game to this in just a few days, from essentially the same team. How does that happen? It was chalk and cheese.

We deserved the 3 points last night. Dykes was immence (if only he could scores goals) and even Roberts put in a decent shift. Chair & Willock together was like it was back in September.

I truly hope this is now the turning point for us and thats a turning point for us improving and starting to win regularly again and not for us to regress to the performances of the past 8 or 9 matches.

Credit due to everyone of the pitch (and off).

Now lets go and win the cup match by atleast 4 goals...........

Totally agree with this. I went along last night expecting we could be in for another hammering of the sort Newcastle gave us a few years ago so was very pleasantly surprised and delighted to see the R’s taking the game to Sheffield for the majority of the first half and so nearly pulling off what would have been a surprising but thoroughly deserved win.
After the monumental effort that all of our players put in last night they must have felt absolutely gutted to trudge off at the final whistle with one point instead of three and I hope once they have recovered from the disappointment that they will take heart from matching possibly the best team in the division and use this performance as a springboard to return to the form they were showing up to the end of October.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 13:43 - Jan 3 with 1073 viewsManinBlack

Exactly this. People can say Forest and Sheffield Utd are not bigger but in essence they think bigger and run in a way that shows ambition to be better than what I see from us.

I can guarantee that if Forest or Sheffield Utd were one up at home to us they would not have sat back holding on for 1-0 wins. I also believe we don't have the mental strength to save the game at their grounds scoring in stoppage time. I cannot recall us ever doing so.

Forest have a good record at our place with 4-0 and 5-2 wins. No issues for them facing us at Loftus Road. By contrast we have a solitary 1-0 win in our entire history of visits to the City Ground. Our teams seem to treat Forest away as visiting a big club going by the results. We have only one once at the massive Liverpool and Man Utd too.

Anyone who wins the league title and European Cup like Forest has to be bigger club than us. I accept Sheffield Utd don't win much either but then nor do Leeds or Newcastle but that could well change for the Geordies with a good manager and unlimited funds.

We need top flight football and a bigger ground with investment to grow to rid ourselves of the inferior mindset. However all seater grounds and FFP has got us trapped in a situation where it is hard to move forward as things stand. If we can't develop the ground or move to a place to build a bigger ground than without a Newcastle type of owner coming in we are stagnant.
3 seconds from 3 points... on 19:31 - Jan 3 with 864 viewsderbyhoop

Good summary of where we currently are.

Trying to get better needs us to get 80+% of decisions right all the way through the club, from 1st team to U18s and lower.

Heston ought to help us, but, in time, we are going to need a larger capacity ground and a fan base big enough to make thar viable.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024