Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Officials tonight 23:34 - Aug 16 with 8864 viewsactonman

Putting aside the performance but if the efl are just going to let this sh!thousery and cheating go unpunished by letting referees ignore it by adding 4 mins extra time at the end of games considering we have up to 10 substitutes to allow for , players having near death experiences on the pitch , water breaks etc then what’s the point ?
As for the Lino at the elleslie road side , blatant cheating and no fcuks given
Officials tonight on 19:01 - Aug 17 with 1813 viewsDixie_CT

Last nights ref was pretty poor. Regardless of reffing by the LOTG, he had very little game management, presence or authority.

The officiating is bad, but like politicians, where are all the skilled and competent people queuing up to take over?

Take the time keeping away from the man in he middle, stop the clock from ball in and out of play for alllotted times, 5 seconds throw ins/corners/goal kicks, 30 seconds subs/goals/sending offs. I’m sure there is a better methodology but something should be tried to stop this shit.
Officials tonight on 19:14 - Aug 17 with 1773 viewsQPR_John

Officials tonight on 18:44 - Aug 17 by Rangersw12

Officials were poor but they didn't effect the result

On the face of it no we were poor. However the way Blackpool were allowed to break up the game surely had an effect.
Officials tonight on 19:22 - Aug 17 with 1761 viewsWatfordR

Officials tonight on 17:21 - Aug 17 by PinnerPaul

See your point, but as mentioned above, once the officials start to do just that then the managers/clubs moan and the 'initiatives' are quietly dropped.

That right there is the problem. Right there.

Why are the LOTG ignored when managers or clubs moan about them being applied?

Without putting words into your mouth, the implication is that refs/officials are more interested in officiating at the highest level they can get to, rather than doing what they are being contracted to do.

Now whether that is for ego, for better money or whatever, the implication is also that they can't do that without keeping the more "influential" clubs happy. So what we see is officials honing their skills at officiating in a way that those more "influential" clubs will appreciate, increasing their chances ultimately of officiating at a higher level.

And that in turn suggests what many of us have felt for a very long time, that we are not playing the game on a level playing field.

If all that is true, then what we are watching is the definition of "corrupt" officiating. No other way to put it.
Officials tonight on 19:38 - Aug 17 with 1739 viewsStanisgod

Officials tonight on 18:44 - Aug 17 by Rangersw12

Officials were poor but they didn't effect the result

Who said it did.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Officials tonight on 19:53 - Aug 17 with 1698 viewsstanistheman

Officials tonight on 16:13 - Aug 17 by PhilmyRs

Haven’t felt that incensed about time since that man u equaliser all those years ago. Even if you missed the disgraceful time wasting - the subs and our guys head injury as a minimum should make it around 5-6 mins. Add on their own players injuries we’ve got to be talking 7-8 mins.

First time I felt the stick dished out to the AR actually made him deliberately go against us on some tight calls too. It does make me lose interest in watching the game when it’s played like this.

Like the offside flag late in the game against Dykes even though the ball was headed towards players in the centre of the pitch and he was on the right hand touch line and not directly interfering with play.
Officials tonight on 19:56 - Aug 17 with 1690 viewsstanistheman

Officials tonight on 17:11 - Aug 17 by ChesterfieldR

The solution already exists. The officials just have to apply the laws of the game.
For example, the laws state that no treatment for injury must take place on the field of play, and the game must proceed asap. A throw in must be taken at the exact point where the ball left the field of play. The goalie cannot hold the ball for more than 6 seconds. Has any goalie EVER been carded twice for this?
And so on.
When these instances and many others get ignored by the officials, it is dismissed as ‘good game management’, whereas in fact it is the complete opposite. If the officials and their masters strap a pair on and try applying all the laws not just the ones they won’t get shouted at about, we would soon see a real difference.

Yes Dieng was carded for taking too long with the ball ironically last season at home to Blackpool when we were 1-0 but down to 10 men - he hadn’t even been given a warning first.
Officials tonight on 15:10 - Aug 18 with 1577 viewsPinnerPaul

Officials tonight on 19:22 - Aug 17 by WatfordR

That right there is the problem. Right there.

Why are the LOTG ignored when managers or clubs moan about them being applied?

Without putting words into your mouth, the implication is that refs/officials are more interested in officiating at the highest level they can get to, rather than doing what they are being contracted to do.

Now whether that is for ego, for better money or whatever, the implication is also that they can't do that without keeping the more "influential" clubs happy. So what we see is officials honing their skills at officiating in a way that those more "influential" clubs will appreciate, increasing their chances ultimately of officiating at a higher level.

And that in turn suggests what many of us have felt for a very long time, that we are not playing the game on a level playing field.

If all that is true, then what we are watching is the definition of "corrupt" officiating. No other way to put it.

See your point, but who do YOU think the PL/EFL listen to - the clubs, TV or the PGMOL?

Oh what fun we'll have when a referee pulls up a GK for taking 12 seconds or more (as they all do inc Seny) and we score from the fk - just one example - do you really think the clubs want to see that - ref wouldn't last 5 minutes.

There is no excuse for the 4 minutes added on Tuesday, but agree with Clive, the change has to come from the clubs - you can't have referees telling medical professionals they can't assess a head injury - THAT's the issue.

Clive's solution of course would work - IF the clubs agreed - they won't of course.
Officials tonight on 15:14 - Aug 18 with 1563 viewsstowmarketrange

Officials tonight on 19:53 - Aug 17 by stanistheman

Like the offside flag late in the game against Dykes even though the ball was headed towards players in the centre of the pitch and he was on the right hand touch line and not directly interfering with play.

I didn’t think Dykes interfered with play all night.
Login to get fewer ads

Officials tonight on 16:21 - Aug 18 with 1498 viewsWatfordR

Officials tonight on 15:10 - Aug 18 by PinnerPaul

See your point, but who do YOU think the PL/EFL listen to - the clubs, TV or the PGMOL?

Oh what fun we'll have when a referee pulls up a GK for taking 12 seconds or more (as they all do inc Seny) and we score from the fk - just one example - do you really think the clubs want to see that - ref wouldn't last 5 minutes.

There is no excuse for the 4 minutes added on Tuesday, but agree with Clive, the change has to come from the clubs - you can't have referees telling medical professionals they can't assess a head injury - THAT's the issue.

Clive's solution of course would work - IF the clubs agreed - they won't of course.

I'm really struggling with the idea that the TV paymasters really want to see 30/35 minutes on average being lost from every 90 minute match that they pay zillions to screen. I can see some managers won't want sh1thousery stripped from their game plan, but less so those managers at clubs with whopping great squads to keep happy, and these are managers at clubs who wield more clout surely.

And at the end of the day if the PGMOL tell them all to do one, we'll officiate as per the LOTG, what are the PL/EFL going to do. Will we have celebrity refs for games? You know TV only has a product to sell as long as it isn't seen as being a footballing version of WWE.

If GKs get pulled per the LOTG and concede goals as a result, all good by me and I suspect most fans. They are doing it to waste time, and they are getting what they deserve.

Is it any wonder that officials don't get any respect from players, managers or clubs if they are all seen as being weak and easily bought off. You'll hopefully forgive me, but it seems as though there's all sorts of reasons being put forward as to why officials shouldn't just do their job, it's all got to be down to everyone else to tell them it's ok to do it first.

Maybe instead of wringing hands about what might happen if they adhere to the LOTG, why not actually take a chance on restoring their credibility and just go ahead and do it.
Officials tonight on 17:40 - Aug 18 with 1439 viewsPinnerPaul

Officials tonight on 15:14 - Aug 18 by stowmarketrange

I didn’t think Dykes interfered with play all night.

He challenged the defender for the ball.
Officials tonight on 17:48 - Aug 18 with 1430 viewsPinnerPaul

Officials tonight on 16:21 - Aug 18 by WatfordR

I'm really struggling with the idea that the TV paymasters really want to see 30/35 minutes on average being lost from every 90 minute match that they pay zillions to screen. I can see some managers won't want sh1thousery stripped from their game plan, but less so those managers at clubs with whopping great squads to keep happy, and these are managers at clubs who wield more clout surely.

And at the end of the day if the PGMOL tell them all to do one, we'll officiate as per the LOTG, what are the PL/EFL going to do. Will we have celebrity refs for games? You know TV only has a product to sell as long as it isn't seen as being a footballing version of WWE.

If GKs get pulled per the LOTG and concede goals as a result, all good by me and I suspect most fans. They are doing it to waste time, and they are getting what they deserve.

Is it any wonder that officials don't get any respect from players, managers or clubs if they are all seen as being weak and easily bought off. You'll hopefully forgive me, but it seems as though there's all sorts of reasons being put forward as to why officials shouldn't just do their job, it's all got to be down to everyone else to tell them it's ok to do it first.

Maybe instead of wringing hands about what might happen if they adhere to the LOTG, why not actually take a chance on restoring their credibility and just go ahead and do it.

See your point but its so ingrained and no one wants to be disadvantaged by playing to the letter of the law.

Paal had an injury 1st half, non leg!, he was standing up the whole time right by the touchline - Blackpool player came over to enquire if maybe he could step 1m off the pitch for the treatment.

Result - QPR fans boo him, ref ignores him.

No one wants a player treated off the pitch, especially if its after a foul challenge.

As ever with football, IF you adhere to that law, players would see that as a chance to foul and maybe get the other team down to 10 men for a while.

Barbet injured by that idiot from WBA, he was off the pitch, why not carry on - because although not to the letter of the law it was the right thing to do and we would have gone mad if the ref has said carry on with 10 men.

It HAS been tried, I already came up with two examples, both high profile referees absolutely slaughtered for applying the law, because no one else does.

I will repeat though, no excuse whatsoever for not adding on the correct time as on Tuesday.
Officials tonight on 17:49 - Aug 18 with 1429 viewsPinnerPaul

Think this maybe backs us both up Watford!

How is the PGMOL funded?

"The PGMOL receives funding from the Premier League, the EFL and the Football Association. According to its most recent annual accounts, its turnover included £10.2m, £5.3m and £3.7m from each of the three organisations respectively."
Officials tonight on 18:35 - Aug 18 with 1364 viewsWatfordR

Officials tonight on 17:48 - Aug 18 by PinnerPaul

See your point but its so ingrained and no one wants to be disadvantaged by playing to the letter of the law.

Paal had an injury 1st half, non leg!, he was standing up the whole time right by the touchline - Blackpool player came over to enquire if maybe he could step 1m off the pitch for the treatment.

Result - QPR fans boo him, ref ignores him.

No one wants a player treated off the pitch, especially if its after a foul challenge.

As ever with football, IF you adhere to that law, players would see that as a chance to foul and maybe get the other team down to 10 men for a while.

Barbet injured by that idiot from WBA, he was off the pitch, why not carry on - because although not to the letter of the law it was the right thing to do and we would have gone mad if the ref has said carry on with 10 men.

It HAS been tried, I already came up with two examples, both high profile referees absolutely slaughtered for applying the law, because no one else does.

I will repeat though, no excuse whatsoever for not adding on the correct time as on Tuesday.

You know, if there's a will to address these things to keep the game moving, there are ways. With the Paal and Barbet incidents, a "blood bin" replacement, for example. You'd also hope that fouls looking to intentionally injure would be so obvious, that yellow/red cards should be forthcoming as a result.

I mean, I'll come back to standing up and doing the right thing when officiating

"high profile referees absolutely slaughtered for applying the law, because no one else does."

The last five words highlight the problem don't they? If you've got all games being officiated consistently, a lot of the frustrations and moaning go away fairly quickly.
Officials tonight on 19:24 - Aug 18 with 1334 viewsTerry49

Why do linesmen allow players to continually gain yards and yards when taking throw ins. If after one warning the s.d does it again book him. On the subject of rules what happened to the rule that when making a substitution the player had to go off at the nearest line, not the half way line always.
On injuries if a player is supposed to be injured near a line take him off for treatment, thus not holding up the game. If not injured he would soon be back on.I think this used to happen.
Officials tonight on 09:59 - Aug 19 with 1183 viewsEsox_Lucius

Officials tonight on 19:24 - Aug 18 by Terry49

Why do linesmen allow players to continually gain yards and yards when taking throw ins. If after one warning the s.d does it again book him. On the subject of rules what happened to the rule that when making a substitution the player had to go off at the nearest line, not the half way line always.
On injuries if a player is supposed to be injured near a line take him off for treatment, thus not holding up the game. If not injured he would soon be back on.I think this used to happen.

I previously suggested a solution to that whereby the linesman stands approx. 0.5m in front of where the ball went out of play and the throwing player has to have released the ball by that point or the throw in is retaken by their opponents. It would have no time impact on the game other than not extending the time taken by players being asked to go back to the correct spot etc.

The grass is always greener.

Officials tonight on 10:32 - Aug 19 with 1143 viewsstowmarketrange

Officials tonight on 09:59 - Aug 19 by Esox_Lucius

I previously suggested a solution to that whereby the linesman stands approx. 0.5m in front of where the ball went out of play and the throwing player has to have released the ball by that point or the throw in is retaken by their opponents. It would have no time impact on the game other than not extending the time taken by players being asked to go back to the correct spot etc.

A good idea in principle but how does the AR then get back in position to spot a potential offside infringement?
I run the line for my granddaughter’s team on Sunday mornings and you are supposed to be in line with the last defender,so any opposition player beyond that is possibly offside,assuming all the other offside criteria are met.
Bear in mind that an girls U15 Sunday league game is a lot slower than your average EFL game,and the fact that you could be on the halfway line to ensure that the thrower isn’t stealing a yard,but if the ball is played forward, the last defender could be 50 yards in front of the thrower,and you would then get offside decisions wrong because you weren’t up with play.
Maybe the way to go is to have extra officials on either side of the pitch,but that would come at an expense that not all leagues could cover.
That is for an offensive throw in rather than a defensive one,which would be easier to police properly.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 10:55]
Officials tonight on 10:40 - Aug 19 with 1132 viewslondonscottish

Officials tonight on 11:54 - Aug 17 by Hayesender

The lino on the Ellerslie Road side was one of the most inept I've ever seen.

He was so bad it was bordering on blatant cheating

"Stevie Wonder, he's running the line".

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Officials tonight on 10:56 - Aug 19 with 1109 viewsfrancisbowles

Officials tonight on 09:59 - Aug 19 by Esox_Lucius

It's a good idea Essox but having thought it thru there seems to be a huge problem with it.

The linesmen (ARs) only cover half the pitch.
Officials tonight on 11:14 - Aug 19 with 1075 viewsTheChef

Officials tonight on 17:49 - Aug 18 by PinnerPaul

Think this maybe backs us both up Watford!

How is the PGMOL funded?

"The PGMOL receives funding from the Premier League, the EFL and the Football Association. According to its most recent annual accounts, its turnover included £10.2m, £5.3m and £3.7m from each of the three organisations respectively."

Ha!

So professional referees are paid by the PGMOL, who in turn are funded by the Leagues and FA. Is my understanding correct?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Officials tonight on 11:15 - Aug 19 with 1071 viewsstowmarketrange

Officials tonight on 11:14 - Aug 19 by TheChef

Ha!

So professional referees are paid by the PGMOL, who in turn are funded by the Leagues and FA. Is my understanding correct?

And Stroud is paid by Bournemouth,probably
Officials tonight on 11:52 - Aug 19 with 1009 viewstoboboly

Officials tonight on 10:56 - Aug 19 by francisbowles

It's a good idea Essox but having thought it thru there seems to be a huge problem with it.

The linesmen (ARs) only cover half the pitch.

Ref uses his spray like for a foul, sorted

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Officials tonight on 10:24 - Aug 20 with 870 viewsPinnerPaul

Officials tonight on 18:35 - Aug 18 by WatfordR

You know, if there's a will to address these things to keep the game moving, there are ways. With the Paal and Barbet incidents, a "blood bin" replacement, for example. You'd also hope that fouls looking to intentionally injure would be so obvious, that yellow/red cards should be forthcoming as a result.

I mean, I'll come back to standing up and doing the right thing when officiating

"high profile referees absolutely slaughtered for applying the law, because no one else does."

The last five words highlight the problem don't they? If you've got all games being officiated consistently, a lot of the frustrations and moaning go away fairly quickly.

Good constructive discussion WatfordR, which with refereeing matters isn't always the case - clearly we are not going to agree on certain points, but its been a good debate - thanks!
Officials tonight on 10:28 - Aug 20 with 851 viewsPinnerPaul

Officials tonight on 10:32 - Aug 19 by stowmarketrange

A good idea in principle but how does the AR then get back in position to spot a potential offside infringement?
I run the line for my granddaughter’s team on Sunday mornings and you are supposed to be in line with the last defender,so any opposition player beyond that is possibly offside,assuming all the other offside criteria are met.
Bear in mind that an girls U15 Sunday league game is a lot slower than your average EFL game,and the fact that you could be on the halfway line to ensure that the thrower isn’t stealing a yard,but if the ball is played forward, the last defender could be 50 yards in front of the thrower,and you would then get offside decisions wrong because you weren’t up with play.
Maybe the way to go is to have extra officials on either side of the pitch,but that would come at an expense that not all leagues could cover.
That is for an offensive throw in rather than a defensive one,which would be easier to police properly.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 10:55]

Indeed - I posted that the other day and it would be impossible to do with a throw in the other half to the AR's!

We're back to applying the LOTG again.

You can't caution, but you can just give the throw to the other side.

Seen it only once or twice at LR - happened last season I think - do that just once on Tuesday and it stops.
Officials tonight on 10:30 - Aug 20 with 835 viewsPinnerPaul

Officials tonight on 11:14 - Aug 19 by TheChef

Ha!

Yes - so in effect the clubs.

Which in reality is no different to all levels of the game whereby the clubs pay the officials.

My point isn't that it is somehow 'wrong', just that any radical reinterpretation of the laws needs the clubs' buy in.
Officials tonight on 10:35 - Aug 20 with 817 viewsterryb

Officials tonight on 10:28 - Aug 20 by PinnerPaul

Indeed - I posted that the other day and it would be impossible to do with a throw in the other half to the AR's!

We're back to applying the LOTG again.

You can't caution, but you can just give the throw to the other side.

Seen it only once or twice at LR - happened last season I think - do that just once on Tuesday and it stops.

It used to happen a lot Paul, though I'm probably going back 30 odd years!

There was a period when it was one of the main clampdown areas, but after being superceded by other "more important" issues it disappeared from the game.

It is rather easy to reintroduce as it involves no changes in law, just in application.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024