Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What have we learned so far? — Analysis 17:08 - Aug 22 with 15825 viewsNorthernr

Well, QPR may not be making signings, but LFW is. Delighted to say that Dan Lambert, who we saw publishing excellent analysis on QPR on a substack last year, has agreed to do a series of pieces for this site through the season.

Here's the first, looking at early learnings on what Beale is trying to do/change. Give it a read, it's really good stuff, complete departure from LFW's usual beer stories and cock jokes, and it's a young and talented journo with a big career ahead of him who deserves your support.

@DanLambert_ on the Twitter if you want to give him a follow or say something nice.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58324

This post has been edited by an administrator
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:11 - Aug 23 with 2238 viewsessextaxiboy

Bit nonplussed TBH

What is Dans day job ? Is he involved in the game for a living ?
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:21 - Aug 23 with 2186 viewsrobith

Loved Dan's stuff on twitter, so absolute mint to have it on here. Stick it in my veins
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:26 - Aug 23 with 2172 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:02 - Aug 23 by 89_50

Really nice breakdown of what MB is trying to implement. I look forward to reading more of these throughout the season.

While it's still early days, the MB approach - defensively at least - seems to be progressing.

Of the goals we've conceded so far:

- Blackburn's was an unbelievable strike
- Boro's were from a set piece (again) and overloading in a wide position
- Sunderland's were a follow up from a Seny save (poor anticipation from our defence) and bundling through the backline from a long ball forward (again weak individual moments)
- Blackpool was poor clearing lines and failure to shut Bowler down
- Rotherham poor clearing lines from a scuffed Field clearance

My point being, that we're not conceding through poor organisation. More individual accountability.

Set-pieces are my (on-going) concern. But I'll reserve proper judgment until the international break.

Cheers.

That’s been my take on the season so far. There’s not much wrong with the formation/system. We’ve conceded from individual mistakes and poor defending from set pieces and even then most of the opposition goals have been well taken. The main problem has been not having our best players available and not taking our chances.

I think 7 points from a possible 15 would be a fairer reflection of our start to the season.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 10:29]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:31 - Aug 23 with 2146 viewsPunteR

It's a bit over my head tbh but a good addition to LFW. Looking forward to trying to understand the next installment. Happy to learn :)
I don't understand why some posters think professional football is like park football. Of course there has to be a structure in place. It's the first thing you learn when you are a kid otherwise you'll have 22 players chasing after the ball.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:32 - Aug 23 with 2145 viewsessextaxiboy

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 03:32 - Aug 23 by Match82

I disagree with this. Spontaneity will always be a part of what makes football great, but it's going to get to a point where ability to process the game quickly is as important as actual ability.

And if it wasn't working, the very best managers and teams wouldn't be doing it.

Our greatest days and achievement in the recent past have been through inspirational and motivational managers Ollie and Warnock . They didn't need this
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:37 - Aug 23 with 2117 viewsessextaxiboy

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 09:59 - Aug 23 by Phildo

Really - what about Dave Sexton? Do you think that guy did not have a pattern of play for his players to execute?

He did , it was pass and move play with your head up and stay with your man in defending ... that's it
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 10:37]
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:40 - Aug 23 with 2099 viewsrobith

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:32 - Aug 23 by essextaxiboy

Our greatest days and achievement in the recent past have been through inspirational and motivational managers Ollie and Warnock . They didn't need this

That was a decade ago, the game has moved on dramatically. Hell, even Warnock was regularly out thought in the Prem - Norwich at home in particular sticks in my mind.

If structure and philosophy had no effect, surely no team would outperform the bare ability of their players?
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:41 - Aug 23 with 2095 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:32 - Aug 23 by essextaxiboy

I think this could be related to the poor running of the club as a whole at the times they were in charge.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:51 - Aug 23 with 2037 viewsrobith

New idea for a TV show; random members of LFW are put in charge of a pro team for one game
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 11:40 - Aug 23 with 1953 viewsDannytheR

We are talking about the same Dave Sexton who obsessively studied the '74 Dutch team and how Rinus Michels could be translated into English football? As well as pioneering the use of video in sussing out the oppostion? At the same QPR where Venables then came in with a host of wacky new ideas about coaching and tactics, and got us a cup final, promotion and 5th in the league in successive seasons?

I'm not sure the *real* glory days of QPR were ever about personality managers shouting in the dressing room.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 11:57 - Aug 23 with 1885 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

This is great stuff and fascinating to see how Beale is trying to stamp his identity on the team. It will take time, but I think Beale is a step up from our previous recent managers in terms of coaching ability , and I include Warburton in that.
The only concern I have is that the press etc is reliant on every player doing the correct thing at the correct time, else it can be beaten easily. We have Championship players, not Premier so that is a worry, might also be that some existing players can't do it to the level required. However, over time it will get better.
For those saying it is too complicated for players to understand, this is coached in academies and even kids Sunday football, just the language used is different.
I look forward to analysis on the back line as we still look like a group of Corporal Jones' whenever a ball goes into the box.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 11:58 - Aug 23 with 1885 viewsPhildo

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:51 - Aug 23 by robith

New idea for a TV show; random members of LFW are put in charge of a pro team for one game

great idea can I suggest Chelsea for the experiment. Heads up lads. and pass. don't forget to pass.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 12:26 - Aug 23 with 1813 viewsjoe90

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 09:16 - Aug 23 by Myke

I am the exact opposite of you Brian (and Nix) when it comes to this mindset. I shudder at reams of data, charts (again for Clive's benefit NOT a dig at Dan) and the like. I'm a poet, literally (albeit largely unpublished) and figuratively. I love the abstract, the oblique and the 'unknown', particularly in the context of a football match. I understand people like you (wife is an accountant, brother a software analyst - whatever that means!), but I cannot relate at all. I don't even like filling in forms!
You say that the likes of Gerry Francis was doing this 30 years ago and that fine. Obviously you need a structure and to do your homework on the oppos strengths and weaknesses and plan accordingly, but what Beale is doing here is a world away from that.
I worry that football games are already turning into a game of chess and this level of control over a player's movements and decision making is only going to exacerbate and accelerate that. I WANT players to make mistakes (preferably the oppos) and players to produce flashes of genius (ours), but I feel this will eventually be coached out of them and we will be left with a vanilla version of the game we all love. I can imagine a scenario in ten years time when those in attendance, instead of screaming and shouting, will be nodding sagely at each other, as our no 10 executes a perfect 'press' in response to a 'trigger pass'. You can imagine the response of the greatest No 10 we ever had if he was handed this data.

I hear what you're saying and don't disagree entirely. However, I think it's fascinating having the occasional look behind the curtain.

Regarding your point about our '10 executing a perfect press in response to a trigger pass' - what you've described is the defensive phase. You'll be pleased to know, this is designed to maximise the chances of regaining possession so we can transition into the attacking phase in which we basically have two free roaming 10's who can then get on with the bit you love about the game!
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 12:27]
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:08 - Aug 23 with 1672 viewsPunteR

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 10:51 - Aug 23 by robith

It could be called. ' Just Clear it!. Or 'Shooot!'.
"Push up" is another genius tactical instruction from fans.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:19 - Aug 23 with 1638 viewsleeqpr

First time poster! In fairness this is a great thread, even in spite of an obvious clash in thinking at times.
This type of attitude, mentality and set up is absolutely essential in the modern game however I think it is fair to say that there is a lot of give and take and trust in the players required by a manager to not only get it right but to also know when to deviate from the plan and produce something that might win the game.
Likewise, who are the players that might let you down, whether its not fulfilling instruction or just not capable due to lack of ability?
Its all well and good covering more ground than anyone else, blocking pockets of the pitch and pressing like an animal and then watching one trickle through the keepers legs Lumley style.
Beale looks to me like a guy who gets it, will have us drilled as best he can but also understand our best(and worst) players need a bit of freedom and potentially have to make mistakes in order to improve them in the long run.
This has been reflected so far, and yes the performances and results have not been great but it has been better than the end of last season to be fair and with some encouraging signs that it can improve from here on in. There are also signs it could go tits up of course, but to me anyway the positives are outweighing the negatives at the moment.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:46 - Aug 23 with 1550 viewsnix

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:19 - Aug 23 by leeqpr

First time poster! In fairness this is a great thread, even in spite of an obvious clash in thinking at times.
This type of attitude, mentality and set up is absolutely essential in the modern game however I think it is fair to say that there is a lot of give and take and trust in the players required by a manager to not only get it right but to also know when to deviate from the plan and produce something that might win the game.
Likewise, who are the players that might let you down, whether its not fulfilling instruction or just not capable due to lack of ability?
Its all well and good covering more ground than anyone else, blocking pockets of the pitch and pressing like an animal and then watching one trickle through the keepers legs Lumley style.
Beale looks to me like a guy who gets it, will have us drilled as best he can but also understand our best(and worst) players need a bit of freedom and potentially have to make mistakes in order to improve them in the long run.
This has been reflected so far, and yes the performances and results have not been great but it has been better than the end of last season to be fair and with some encouraging signs that it can improve from here on in. There are also signs it could go tits up of course, but to me anyway the positives are outweighing the negatives at the moment.

Welcome to the Board Lee. Keep on posting, you sound remarkably cheerful for a QPR fan atm on social media. It's quite refreshing!
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:55 - Aug 23 with 1526 viewsRatKingCole

Free website sources more free content for it's users and faces backlash from those that can't or refuse to try to understand it.

jesus wept
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 14:14 - Aug 23 with 1461 viewsR_from_afar

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 03:32 - Aug 23 by Match82

I disagree with this. Spontaneity will always be a part of what makes football great, but it's going to get to a point where ability to process the game quickly is as important as actual ability.

And if it wasn't working, the very best managers and teams wouldn't be doing it.

I don't know because I have no inside knowledge of what professional coaches tell their players in training, but I would have thought that even if the plan is to use certain types of press and have certain triggers, the players are still encouraged to think for themselves on the spur of the moment if they see an opportunity appearing or a dangerous situation developing.

Not sure...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 14:14 - Aug 23 with 1454 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 13:19 - Aug 23 by leeqpr

Welcome aboard Lee.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 14:23 - Aug 23 with 1437 viewsSimonJames

As a very analytical person myself, I think this sort of analysis is quite difficult, and very time consuming, to convert it into the sort of clear language that the average reader would easily grasp.
I suspect that it would be easier and much less time consuming to create and present it illustrated via video.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 19:39]

100% of people who drink water will die.

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 15:03 - Aug 23 with 1341 viewsStanFan

I'm another analyst by nature and I haven't yet read the article a second time yet to fully get it. But my take out is wow, who knew how much thinking and planning goes into this? I actually find it pretty reassuring and it also explains the choice of signings and loans.

Like many on here I love exciting attacking play with flair. If I've understood it properly, this is all about snuffing out the opponents attacks and generating situations in which our flair players can go and do their thing. Surely we can all get behind that.

Finally, how frustrated must Beale be? A lot of this stuff has worked pretty well but we haven't taken the chances that we've created.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 15:05 - Aug 23 with 1325 viewskernowhoop

I am going to go through Dan's work again and understand it as best I can.

In the meantime, I wondered what my priorities would be if I had our squad to coach (I am not a coach and have played the game only at local league level).

My simple and humble thoughts are these:

Possession is vitally important, without it you are most unlikely to score the the goal(s) that wins the match. 'Look after the football' (Mark Warburton used to say).

Good possession and successful attacking play rely on good passing. It is not just down to the man with the ball; it involves at least two people, the transmitter and the receiver of the pass. The pass may look good but it is the receiver that makes the pass 'easy'.

There are not really many different set-piece manoeuvres to defend. We shall learn to defend them until it is second nature.

Most goals are scored at a certain distance from the opposing team's goal. We should not waste chances with hopeless efforts from beyond that distance.

Too many goal-scoring opportunities go to waste, so we should look at how often we get into threatening positions and how to do even better. We should study our failed attempts and work out why they went wrong. Was it 16 shots versus Rotherham and only one goal?

Then, perhaps more complicated stuff (which is mostly beyond me), but only as and when the simpler things have been made to work.
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 15:47 - Aug 23 with 1244 viewsderbyhoop

I'm not sure I got all the nuances.
It shows that many fans understand very little about the Professional game.
For future articles can I suggest short videos to see how the game develops from the starting point he analysed.

1 thing I did pick up was the defensive side of the game as illustrated by Dozzell.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 16:10 - Aug 23 with 1213 viewsessextaxiboy

What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 11:40 - Aug 23 by DannytheR

We are talking about the same Dave Sexton who obsessively studied the '74 Dutch team and how Rinus Michels could be translated into English football? As well as pioneering the use of video in sussing out the oppostion? At the same QPR where Venables then came in with a host of wacky new ideas about coaching and tactics, and got us a cup final, promotion and 5th in the league in successive seasons?

I'm not sure the *real* glory days of QPR were ever about personality managers shouting in the dressing room.

I did say the recent past , That team was almost 50 years ago and included 5 England Internationals . I dont remember Venables being particularly wacky or radical TBH
What have we learned so far? — Analysis on 16:18 - Aug 23 with 1191 viewsaston_hoop

Excellent piece, great addition to the site and look forward to more of these. It is going to be interesting to see any developments, changes etc over the course of the season too as we find our identity under Beale.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024