Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz Truss is the new PM 12:39 - Sep 5 with 31715 viewsJuzzie

82% of the 172,437 Conservative members voted. That's 141,000 people deciding the fate of millions.

Sunak got 60k votes (43%)
Truss got 81k votes (57%)

So it wasn't even a clear majority, the Party was fairly evenly split which says to me they're not in harmony, a divided party.

God help us.

I'd have said the same has Sunak won it, what an awful place to be in where no one seems to be anywhere near good enough for the job at hand.

And before anyone says "Well Labour wouldn't do a better job of it" a) it's not about Labour b) maybe not

What a state this country is in.

[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 12:58]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:23 - Sep 5 with 2185 viewsMaggsinho

Liz Truss is the new PM on 14:37 - Sep 5 by GloryHunter

Do you have to be a British citizen to join the Conservative Party? I don't think so.

No you don’t. You don’t even need to be a person, somebody managed to register their pet tortoise to vote.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:27 - Sep 5 with 2179 viewsqpr1976

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:12 - Sep 5 by dmm

Is that oven ready Brexit that Johnson 'got done' ever going to get cooked? It's been in the oven for two and a half years and is as underdone as a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie in a broken Baby Belling.

I sympathise, but the fact is, it’s done. Maybe not well, certainly with issues, but we are out. Ask the rest of Europe.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:28 - Sep 5 with 2176 viewscolinallcars

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:06 - Sep 5 by BrianMcCarthy

That's exactly what I'd like to see, John.
Somone told me recently that the last British plitician that was voted in by the citizenry and also voted out by the citizenry was Wilson. Could that be right?
Ireland has the same problem by the way.
It's incredibly undemocractic and I can't believe the voters haven't insisted on it changing in various countries.

I don't think so Brian. Harold Wilson, the finest PM this country has had, resigned amid stories of ill-health and passed the reins over to Jim Callaghan.
The establishment did everything they could to label Wilson as being in the pay of the Kremlin and there was talk of a coup to oust him by various people in the military, the press and certain figures in high-up circles.
I need Bazza to confirm.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:36 - Sep 5 with 2125 viewsJigsore

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:21 - Sep 5 by HAYESBOY

A gift for Labour.

please never underestimate sir keir's lack of competence or charisma, his response to the energy crisis has been extremely underwhelming and it won't take much to leave him flapping

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:38 - Sep 5 with 2108 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:28 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

I don't think so Brian. Harold Wilson, the finest PM this country has had, resigned amid stories of ill-health and passed the reins over to Jim Callaghan.
The establishment did everything they could to label Wilson as being in the pay of the Kremlin and there was talk of a coup to oust him by various people in the military, the press and certain figures in high-up circles.
I need Bazza to confirm.

Thanks Colin.

They might have said Heath, apologies.

Even so, it seems hard to believe.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:39 - Sep 5 with 2109 viewsflynnbo

I need Bazza to confirm.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/9781474611954
Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:40 - Sep 5 with 2106 viewsBucksRanger

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:06 - Sep 5 by BrianMcCarthy

That's exactly what I'd like to see, John.
Somone told me recently that the last British plitician that was voted in by the citizenry and also voted out by the citizenry was Wilson. Could that be right?
Ireland has the same problem by the way.
It's incredibly undemocractic and I can't believe the voters haven't insisted on it changing in various countries.

Harold Wilson resigned suddenly in 1976 without giving a reason. Lots of theories spread as to why he did that. To this day, I don't think anyone knows for sure. He wasn't ousted by the people. He may have been ousted by MI5 I suppose.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:52 - Sep 5 with 2049 viewsderbyhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:33 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

The pound rose sharply this morning, had a bowl of Weetabix and a boiled egg, then went for a stroll in the park.

Up 0.16% on the day.
I suppose ending the contest may lead to more stability, but I wouldn't want the list of issues she'll have to deal with. 3rd unelected PM since 2016.

I suspect Keir will have her on toast most Wednesdays in PMQs.

After 12 years of Tory Govt, is the UK desperate for change.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:14 - Sep 5 with 1984 viewsQPR_Jim

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:27 - Sep 5 by QPR_John

How would you change things so that the PM is directly elected. The only thing I can think of is a mandatory General Elecction if a PM resigns. Same for a by-election if the current incumbent changes parties. I’ll be happy to be proved wrong but I cannot remember talk of citizens being disenfranchised when Brown took over from Blaire.

We have different recollections of the time, I remember posters on this very messageboard stating that he was unelected (no mandate I think was the phrase of the time) and therefore we needed an election after Brown became PM. Then IIRC we then had the same posters blame the global financial crash on Labour.

I think where the calls for an election become legitimate is if you state that your policy as PM is going to be significantly different from what your party had in their manifesto at the previous election and I can't remember if that was the case back then.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:24 - Sep 5 with 1945 viewscolinallcars

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:38 - Sep 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks Colin.

They might have said Heath, apologies.

Even so, it seems hard to believe.

I think Wilson was voted in 1966 and out in 1970. Then Heath voted in 1970 and out ( to Wilson ) in 1974.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:51 - Sep 5 with 1876 viewsqpr1976

Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:24 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

I think Wilson was voted in 1966 and out in 1970. Then Heath voted in 1970 and out ( to Wilson ) in 1974.

I’ll stand aside prior to 1979 and Callaghan’s capitulation.

But since then, it’s been derisive governments throughout. Labour and Tories have swapped 5 years, 12 years, etc. very little has changed. Even when the Libs got involved once, their “scrap Uni £3000 fees” because ‘lets treble them !’

99% of politicians are immoral, corrupt, liars, fiddlers, untrustworthy, despicable charlatans only in it for their own self worth and importance. A dreadful thing to write. There was a couple I thought were worthy. (0 expense claims ! But both have since been expelled from their parties for wrong doings !!)

As much as I hate to say it, and it’s not what our PM should stand for, but at least Boris was entertaining ! From HIGNFY to hanging off the Olympic stadium……

Sad state of affairs.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:54 - Sep 5 with 1863 viewsBoston

Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:24 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

...who resigned and handed the reins to Callaghan, without the mandate of the plebiscite. Yawn.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 17:56]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:01 - Sep 5 with 1838 viewsNorthantsHoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 17:51 - Sep 5 by qpr1976

I’ll stand aside prior to 1979 and Callaghan’s capitulation.

But since then, it’s been derisive governments throughout. Labour and Tories have swapped 5 years, 12 years, etc. very little has changed. Even when the Libs got involved once, their “scrap Uni £3000 fees” because ‘lets treble them !’

99% of politicians are immoral, corrupt, liars, fiddlers, untrustworthy, despicable charlatans only in it for their own self worth and importance. A dreadful thing to write. There was a couple I thought were worthy. (0 expense claims ! But both have since been expelled from their parties for wrong doings !!)

As much as I hate to say it, and it’s not what our PM should stand for, but at least Boris was entertaining ! From HIGNFY to hanging off the Olympic stadium……

Sad state of affairs.

The decisions coming at the current Tory government and Liz Truss are going to seriously test the resolve of basic Tory principles of free market economics and less state intervention, it will probably be all too much and she will spend most of the time u- turning on stuff i.e. re-nationalisation, trying to deal with rising prices, benefits and state pensions and a collapsing health service and social care. A rocky road ahead.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 18:03]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:02 - Sep 5 with 1835 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I need Bazza to confirm.

In 1975 Wilson offered Gaddafi £14million (over half a billion in today's money) to stop arming the Provisional IRA but Gaddafi wanted more. As for his health, his doctor had long noted problems which would later be diagnosed as colon cancer. Wilson began drinking brandy during the day to cope.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:08 - Sep 5 with 1814 viewsqpr1976

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:01 - Sep 5 by NorthantsHoop

The decisions coming at the current Tory government and Liz Truss are going to seriously test the resolve of basic Tory principles of free market economics and less state intervention, it will probably be all too much and she will spend most of the time u- turning on stuff i.e. re-nationalisation, trying to deal with rising prices, benefits and state pensions and a collapsing health service and social care. A rocky road ahead.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 18:03]

Sadly, probably true. But the options (eventually) are Shit or Shitter.

We need Major reform which the system, or powers that be will likely never allow.

Anyway, Huddersfield on Saturday - COYR’s
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:14 - Sep 5 with 1798 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Just seen her speech and resulting interviews with Tory sycophants. She really is a worrying development in the political arena.

As for Sunak, he looks and sounds like a ‘Spitting Image’ caricature of himself.

650 MPs and this is the best we have. In fact,650 MPs and I’m not sure we’d muster sufficient numbers for a politically decent five-a-side team.

Look over the Pond, there an even bigger shambles.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:15 - Sep 5 with 1797 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Liz Truss is the new PM on 15:57 - Sep 5 by qpr1976

Pointless.

If that were the enforced case, he wouldn’t have resigned. Nor would he have been allowed to do so by his party. Power at all cost.

Precisely. Boris would still be in charge. No party would dispense of its leader in the knowledge that it would force a general election.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:19 - Sep 5 with 1772 viewsManinBlack

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:17 - Sep 5 by qpr1976

What’s the Lorraine Kelly show got to do with anything ??

Nothing. It's Laura Kuennsberg.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:38 - Sep 5 with 1717 viewscolinallcars

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:02 - Sep 5 by Benny_the_Ball

In 1975 Wilson offered Gaddafi £14million (over half a billion in today's money) to stop arming the Provisional IRA but Gaddafi wanted more. As for his health, his doctor had long noted problems which would later be diagnosed as colon cancer. Wilson began drinking brandy during the day to cope.

On a lighter note, I was entering the William Morris in Hammersmith the other day and there was a chap smoking a pipe outside. “ A rare sight these days “ I said. “ Not many of us left “ he opined, tamping the tobacco with his lighter.
Sitting inside with a pint of Exmoor Gold, I started to think of famous men with pipes. Harold
Wilson, of course, but I couldn't think of many - Inspector Maigret, I suppose.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:45 - Sep 5 with 1702 viewsSuperhoop83

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:38 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

On a lighter note, I was entering the William Morris in Hammersmith the other day and there was a chap smoking a pipe outside. “ A rare sight these days “ I said. “ Not many of us left “ he opined, tamping the tobacco with his lighter.
Sitting inside with a pint of Exmoor Gold, I started to think of famous men with pipes. Harold

Replacing Johnson with Truss will be as good for the UK as replacing Mark Hughes with Harry Redknapp was for QPR.

The only tiny positive is that Truss cannot possibly be as corrupt or dishonest as Johnson. I hope.

Suffering since 1978.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:47 - Sep 5 with 1693 viewsShunter

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:01 - Sep 5 by qpr1976

Whether you agreed with it or not, voted for it or not, think it’s been successful or not, or think it’s not 100% done…… Fact of the matter is he did !

He did it by cutting off 1/4 of the United Kingdom which means he did not get it done,
75% of the UK has left the EU and you think that is getting it done - ffs get real !!
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:47 - Sep 5 with 1693 views222gers

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:38 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

Bing Crosby
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:48 - Sep 5 with 1687 viewsShunter

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:45 - Sep 5 by Superhoop83

Replacing Johnson with Truss will be as good for the UK as replacing Mark Hughes with Harry Redknapp was for QPR.

The only tiny positive is that Truss cannot possibly be as corrupt or dishonest as Johnson. I hope.

Don't hold your breath mate..............
Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:56 - Sep 5 with 1662 viewsSonofpugwash

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:47 - Sep 5 by 222gers

Bing Crosby

Eric Morecambe.
Stalin.
debate rages as to who was the funnier.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Ft

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 18:59 - Sep 5 with 1659 viewskernowhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:23 - Sep 5 by Maggsinho

No you don’t. You don’t even need to be a person, somebody managed to register their pet tortoise to vote.

Ever worked in a council department that deals with electoral registration and the form that registers eligible members of households?
People register cats and dogs and then blame the council when the local paper reports that the cat has received a polling card.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024