Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wasps 13:48 - Sep 22 with 6445 viewsTGRRRSSS

Appar3ently appointing an administrator but not in admin.

Mr Wright where are you>

Wasps on 12:26 - Oct 13 with 1115 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Wasps on 14:59 - Oct 12 by gobbles

They walked away with the assets, which was the Twyford Avenue training ground. Sadly for Wright and co, they couldn't get planning permission to turn it into housing.

Sorry, they'll get no sympathy from me. Cherry picking the Twyford Avenue training ground was a particularly bitter pill to swallow. It's taken almost 30 years to replace it with Heston.

I think Wasps still own the Twyford Avenue site. Is it large enough for a football stadium?
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 12:35]
Wasps on 12:36 - Oct 13 with 1065 viewsBoston

Wasps on 09:33 - Oct 13 by PlanetHonneywood

By that measure, many sports would all be consigned to the bin. After all, why would anyone watch American football which seems to take four hours to play one hour.

Rugby's problem it seems to me is simple: while Twickers bursts at the seams and some clubs have big followings, those in trouble many have over-reached themselves.

As for lots of rugby players purportedly not liking their job, well the same applies to many people, including footballers. As with anyone of us, we can but hope if your heart's not in it, that you're sufficiently professional to compensate.

There are no financial problems in American 'Grid Iron' football. It's extremely well run (although I'm not overly keen on the set up myself), remember the Super Bowl alone generates more revenue that the total of every game played in a World Cup.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Wasps on 13:29 - Oct 13 with 1004 viewsTGRRRSSS

Wasps on 09:33 - Oct 13 by PlanetHonneywood

By that measure, many sports would all be consigned to the bin. After all, why would anyone watch American football which seems to take four hours to play one hour.

Rugby's problem it seems to me is simple: while Twickers bursts at the seams and some clubs have big followings, those in trouble many have over-reached themselves.

As for lots of rugby players purportedly not liking their job, well the same applies to many people, including footballers. As with anyone of us, we can but hope if your heart's not in it, that you're sufficiently professional to compensate.

Lots of interesting points here.

Not got time to go into everything but one of the problems maybe that in professional rugby the smaller Province System seems to work better.

However in Wasps case they mismanaged but also they thought they could move to a place that clearly isn't that into rugby because of the ground and opportunities, it's clear moving from their heartlands South East) was never going to work.

Worth considering there are only 2 professional clubs in (or around) London.

Rugby has big issues regarding the head concussion issues though and I am starting to fear for the game, and yes the over officiating and slowing the game down isnt a great look.
Wasps on 13:59 - Oct 13 with 947 viewstoboboly

Wasps on 13:29 - Oct 13 by TGRRRSSS

Not got time to go into everything but one of the problems maybe that in professional rugby the smaller Province System seems to work better.

However in Wasps case they mismanaged but also they thought they could move to a place that clearly isn't that into rugby because of the ground and opportunities, it's clear moving from their heartlands South East) was never going to work.

Rugby has big issues regarding the head concussion issues though and I am starting to fear for the game, and yes the over officiating and slowing the game down isnt a great look.

London clubs that are professional - Quins, Saracens, Irish

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Wasps on 14:02 - Oct 13 with 946 viewsactionword

Wasps on 13:29 - Oct 13 by TGRRRSSS

Clear mismanagement which mainly stems from paying players too much (sound familiar?!)

There are some well run clubs - Leicester, for example, with a solid fanbase and good academy. But a lot are being bankrolled - see Bristol with Steve Lansdown.

As one of the posters said earlier on Internationals sell out...and at ridiculous prices! I watch a bit of the premiership and over the last few seasons the product has been amazing - lots of tries and entertainment, with much better rugby being played than you see at international level where the games are more tense, rather than free-flowing. The issue is that they seem unable to market it to a bigger audience and generate more interest and revenue in the club game.

Coventry traditionally were a big team and I understand Wasps were losing so much money at Wycombe, so they had to do something. Moving to an area where there is rugby interest and to a new stadium probably did look appealing. It obviously has not worked out, but at one point they were getting 15-20,000 people for matches there a few years ago.
Wasps on 14:28 - Oct 13 with 916 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Wasps on 12:36 - Oct 13 by Boston

There are no financial problems in American 'Grid Iron' football. It's extremely well run (although I'm not overly keen on the set up myself), remember the Super Bowl alone generates more revenue that the total of every game played in a World Cup.

Not saying it is.

My point - which I picked up in error on LWH's post - was about the watchability of rugby akin to AF and other sports where stoppages/delays exist.

Capeesh?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Wasps on 14:32 - Oct 13 with 900 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Wasps on 09:57 - Oct 13 by lightwaterhoop

Being amateur does'nt mean being consigned to the bin.Ireland does very well with their amateur GAA sports.American football has a huge following no matter how long the game lasts.

The phsyio i spoke with also strongly implied that many of his players were not that professional and that feigning injuries was one his worst problems.

My bad.

I read Sydney's post and thought you'd also touched upon the issue of 'stoppages' in your post.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Wasps on 13:14 - Oct 14 with 749 viewsTGRRRSSS

Wasps on 13:59 - Oct 13 by toboboly

London clubs that are professional - Quins, Saracens, Irish

I'd forgotten Irish had moved to Brentford - but that is surely party of the problem the lack of exposure via TV (BT Sport) means many losing track and or interest.

I'd love to know how much longer people will throw money at rugby, it's getting into a right mess but being professional in and of itself isnt a problem I wouldnt think.
Login to get fewer ads

Wasps on 20:37 - Oct 14 with 647 viewsthemodfather

wasps were a big european rugger team, title winning , now a shambles , if i liked rugger, bar internationals maybe i'd try and understand the wrongs but have enough worrying about qprfc. they can rot in coventry and so too can coventry.
Wasps on 21:44 - Oct 14 with 595 viewsterryb

I assume the administrators will allow Coventry City to continue playing at the stadium?

Will new owners of the stadium be tied to whatever contract the football club has in place? And would that change if Wasps went into liquidation?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024