Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. 09:05 - Apr 19 with 2182 viewswortonranger

A psychologist called Asch proved that if enough people share the same belief, even if clearly wrong, those who disagree will conform in order to keep “in” with the group. I read the comments on Gareth’s interview and felt so depressed that I couldn’t bring myself to watch it. Until now. My word what negativity has been shared..that was hardly there. He’s hardly given up. It’s a good job us lot aren’t playing! I predict a win tonight and a draw on Saturday. See you at Southampton next season.
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 09:09 - Apr 19 with 2146 viewskernowhoop

So true. Groupthink. Let's think differently. It needn't be for long. Only four games left!
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 09:12 - Apr 19 with 2111 viewsLblock

Agree

I got brainwashed by you lunatics in october that we were staying up!!!

I did say if any club was going to be relegated from that position it was us and always felt we had it in our locker but surely not from where we were.

Acceptance and Apathy - the twins to the triplet of Atrophy

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 09:15 - Apr 19 with 2100 viewsenfieldargh

I got brainwashed by my dad taking me to my first qpr game, I wanted to go to the Ballet

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 09:18 - Apr 19 with 2087 viewsNorthantsHoop

The irony of it would be if we go down that we could not even save ourselves by being given a helping hand by the EFL deducting points from Reading if they stay up. We are so poor and let's not kid ourselves we are not, get done over by much better teams every home game.
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 09:33 - Apr 19 with 2031 viewsTheChef

Ha! That did cross my mind...

The players' mental fragility is obviously there - which is why we have to at least score the first goal. The comeback at West Brom seems like a total aberration.

I did think though in the Coventry game we did at least compete. If Field's shot goes in to make it 1-1, then who knows? Football is all about fine margins.

But then you feel the Watford win was only achieved because their players were so disinterested. Norwich and Burnley have things to play for and I just don't think over 90 minutes we can handle teams playing with intent. You'd hope Stoke and Bristol will have the beach towels out which is why I'm pinning my hopes on those two games and not the next two.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 10:11 - Apr 19 with 1922 viewsnumptydumpty

Brainwashed by the masses that do not allow you to switch to Manchester City or Liverpool when you support a club such as ours from a young age

There is no escape from the maddening crowd.

It has been proven to be an absolute impossibility..

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 10:35 - Apr 19 with 1859 viewshubble

In a sense this is just another thread saying it's down to us fans to make the difference. It's magical thinking, just like the recent thread where someone said it was the fans fault that the board appointed GA.

I suppose you could turn this into a discussion on the nature of 'reality'. The idea that there is an objective 'reality' outside of the human experience is the basis not just of materialism, but of huge political/theoretical movements of very disparate colours, such as Marxism and Communism (especially the orthodox communism adopted by Lenin) and, ironically, captialism. This idea has its roots in rationalism, in Nietzsche, in all sorts of 'modern' thought, and many point to the degradation of society, of how we treat each other and the planet to this 'objective materialism'.

In an objective, materialist reality, everything is random or coincidental, other than the codified structure of concepts that creates the cohesive 'reality' that we believe we inhabit. It relies on cultural programming, AKA familiarity, to work.

However, again ironically, quantum mechanics has shown that the idea of an objective reality, outside of our human experience of it, is illusory. 'Reality' from a quantum perspective is entirely relative. There is no 'universal time' there is no universal objective reality. And here's where it gets really interesting: what this means is that scientific thinking (at the most profound level) has horseshoed into metaphysics. And the reason I'm stating this here is that this includes the idea of a kind of plastic, malleable reality that is influenced by the observers/experiencers. And in that case, then maybe 'we' can actually have an influence on the fortunes of the entity we have co-created known as QPR.

Or maybe we should all go to that nighclub in Wokingham, hang out with Gareth and sod it all.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 10:38 - Apr 19 with 1843 viewsNorthernr

As I've said several times, you're not going to optimism this into going away - sadly that often seems to be Ainsworth's main tactic.

We have won two games out of 27. People are moaning. I cannot believe how difficult this is to get heads around.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 11:17 - Apr 19 with 1781 viewsE15Hoop

I've just watched that pre-match interview, and I thought his body language was really poor, and just raditates loser mentality. Its "we're going down, but we're going to fight to the end, even though we're not really fighting and we know it, as do you".
The best equivalent behaviour I can think of is the bad old days (not so long ago) when the England cricket team would go to Australia for the Ashes and get right royally shafted.
A number of the players have pretty much admitted that each match was lost in the dressing room, and they got stuck in that vicious cycle that we've seen from our lot so often over the last two seasons.
I'm starting to move across into Clive's camp on this one, and I don't think GA has helped himself very much by his messaging. Excusing the players is not helping, and surely this famous 11-hour meeting the other day was supposed to have lanced that particular boil?
It now needs to be much stronger, more positive from him; "We know we've massively underperformed this season, and there's no excuses. I've made that clear to all the players, and reminded them what a privilege it is to play for this great club. They've got 4 matches to save the season, and I'm confident that we can sneak over the line if everyone gives everything, and when they feel they've given everything, they need to find an extra run, block, tackle, cute pass, and shot, because that's what its going to take. No hiding - everyone needs to make their presence count. Do that, and we've still got a chance".
Not so different from the messaging he ws giving a couple of weeks ago, but the language and delivery needs to be SO much more decisive, or else our sorry lot just aren't going to buy it from him.
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 11:20 - Apr 19 with 1772 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 10:38 - Apr 19 by Northernr

As I've said several times, you're not going to optimism this into going away - sadly that often seems to be Ainsworth's main tactic.

We have won two games out of 27. People are moaning. I cannot believe how difficult this is to get heads around.

You aren't going to bollock it away either (see Critchley).

I don't see what choice he has to do anything else. I'd prefer it if he just didn't say anything but that's not how a Twitter age football club works.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 11:20]
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 11:33 - Apr 19 with 1740 viewsconnell10

We shite in a sea of shite , we are in fact the shitest......thats not brainwashing its true!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 11:52 - Apr 19 with 1705 viewsPaddyhoops

Good positive thinking but remember this .
This side will in years to come is a side we will be able to reel off as we did with 75/76 season but for all the wrong reasons .
It’s burned into my brain.
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 11:59 - Apr 19 with 1670 viewsted_hendrix

Nobody Is being brainwashed unless your thick.

We have a poor Manager, a poorish squad, and we've been poor for bloody Months, that's right bloody Months.

We'll be fighting of relegation from L1 next season too If we keep the same bloody clueless zombies at the club.

This 'Asch' bloke mentioned Is a prick.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 15:05 - Apr 19 with 1460 viewsBoston

Brainwashing is an overstatement. Right now a light rinse is all that's required for a bad hair day.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 15:41 - Apr 19 with 1367 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Nothing that a good well used set of bamboo thrashing canes wouldn't sort out.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 15:57 - Apr 19 with 1322 viewswortonranger

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 11:59 - Apr 19 by ted_hendrix

Nobody Is being brainwashed unless your thick.

We have a poor Manager, a poorish squad, and we've been poor for bloody Months, that's right bloody Months.

We'll be fighting of relegation from L1 next season too If we keep the same bloody clueless zombies at the club.

This 'Asch' bloke mentioned Is a prick.

I wouldn’t recommend putting that in an A level psychology answer, but you may we’ll have a point.
On the other hand.. how often do you find someone not going along with the group in a football crowd..even though you would never behave that way anywhere else? It’s part of the fun. But it can be a brave person who goes against the group vibe...I just hope I’m right on this one.
Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 16:05 - Apr 19 with 1294 viewsLongsufferingR

Are we brainwashing ourselves into defeat. on 15:57 - Apr 19 by wortonranger

I wouldn’t recommend putting that in an A level psychology answer, but you may we’ll have a point.
On the other hand.. how often do you find someone not going along with the group in a football crowd..even though you would never behave that way anywhere else? It’s part of the fun. But it can be a brave person who goes against the group vibe...I just hope I’m right on this one.

I admire your optimism but the ONLY people not to blame for any of this mess is the fans. In recent weeks I've seen attendances increase as results get even worse, I've heard the vocal support improve as the situation gets more desperate, with only small pockets of booing and bust ups. How anybody can think that negativity on here or any other site is transferring to the players needs to check how long this has been going on, and that NOTHING has geed this bunch of utter cnts up, no matter what manager has been in charge. If we lose gain tonight, it will NOT be the fans' fault whether they are quiet, loud, abusive, supportive or do naked handstands on the roof of the Loft.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024