Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first match without the person who first took you 20:31 - Jun 10 with 3334 viewsWatford_Ranger

Slightly morbid maybe but my dad isn’t getting any younger and while we aren’t that close we’ve always had the mutual curse of Rangers and that’s the one thing I’ll maybe really struggle with when the time comes (hopefully some way away!)

Just wondering if anyone had any memories of that first game. Happy, sad, whatever.

Thanks.

Your first match without the person who first took you on 20:51 - Jun 10 with 3285 viewsBluce_Ree

I always go with my brother but I did go to Wigan away one year with my missus and we bear them 2-1 which was nice.

They had child Dalgleish playing. I can't remember much about it.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Your first match without the person who first took you on 20:57 - Jun 10 with 3264 viewsqpr_1968

my first game was notts forest at home 1968,won 2-1, went with my best mate at the time, both 10 years old, accompanied and led by his older brother who was 13.

the next game i went to was against arbroath, a home friendly,same season, we won 6-3.
but not with the first one that took us, but my uncle, who was in his 30's.....strangely enough.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Your first match without the person who first took you on 22:43 - Jun 10 with 3166 viewsManinBlack

To be honest when my dad died I stopped going so I cannot say how I would feel going back with him not there. For home games we split up as he was a season ticket holder in the Ellerslie and I preferred going in the Loft. We only watched games together at away matches.
Your first match without the person who first took you on 22:53 - Jun 10 with 3152 viewsCateLeBonR

First away game I remember going to on my own was Arsenal away 0-0 in January 1994. I was 17 and I think I’ll remember this match until I die. First for the long tube journey there and back and on arrival not being able to get anywhere near the clock end for the crowds ( where the away end was) which had sold out. So I ended up getting into the comfy padded seats in the recently developed, lower North Bank.

Second reason I remember was for an amazing piece of skill by David Bardsley right in front of me. A nutmeg on Lee Dixon in a very tight spot
Your first match without the person who first took you on 09:29 - Jun 11 with 3015 viewsHayesender

My first home game on my own was a 3-0 win against Barnsley in the 82/83 season.

First away game (outside of London) was Coventry in 86. Last game of the season and travelled up on the football special. Felt all grown up 😃

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Your first match without the person who first took you on 09:43 - Jun 11 with 3007 viewsqpr_1968

Your first match without the person who first took you on 20:57 - Jun 10 by qpr_1968

my first game was notts forest at home 1968,won 2-1, went with my best mate at the time, both 10 years old, accompanied and led by his older brother who was 13.

the next game i went to was against arbroath, a home friendly,same season, we won 6-3.
but not with the first one that took us, but my uncle, who was in his 30's.....strangely enough.

first away game was orient 1972, desmond.

first away game outside london was leeds on the football special 1973, another desmond.
400 of us on that, yet the only thing that sticks in my mind about that game was the snow and a revolting pork pie i bought in the ground.

good old days.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Your first match without the person who first took you on 10:28 - Jun 11 with 2969 viewsSonofpugwash

White City 1963 v Port Vale.Don't remeber much about the game except a backheel goal by Brian Bedford and amazed at the racket only a few thousand fans made.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Your first match without the person who first took you on 10:41 - Jun 11 with 2953 viewsHAYESBOY

At home Leicester, 82/83. 2-2 and I remember Gregory scored one. Think we were 2 down and came back.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Login to get fewer ads

Your first match without the person who first took you on 12:49 - Jun 11 with 2886 viewsloftboy

My Dad (born in 1933 in Wandsworth) used do go to Stamford Bridge regularly through the late 40’s 50’s and 60’s so when Gary Locke Chelsea’s right back gave him two tickets for Chelsea v Newcastle in 1978 he took me along, it was his first game for ten years and the game was full of crowd trouble in the ground and on Fulham Broadway, he vowed never to go to another game, ( he did attend a couple of westham games very early 80’s to avoid seeing my Nan his mother in law) but every game I ever went to after that was with mates, and obviously with my own kids one they were born .
In a way I was lucky my mum was a westham fan so as not to upset her I chose not to support my Dad side!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Your first match without the person who first took you on 13:02 - Jun 11 with 2871 viewsGaryBannister86

First game without going along with my Dad was at Hillsborough in the late 90s. I think we won 2-1 but can't really remember.

First game after my Dad died was very emotional, the match where they showed all the R's fans we had lost during the Covid era on the big screen. Filmed it on my phone with a very shaky hand! But always so special as my boy was there in the Loft with me, passing on through the generations as the flag says....

Also managed to swiftly stick some of his ashes down the Loft End goal. We've barely scored in that goal since so no sure what the old rogue has been up to!
Your first match without the person who first took you on 13:27 - Jun 11 with 2839 viewsDave_Lazy

My first match with my father was against Leeds United in the 74/75 season. He passed away early February 2019 and the first match after his death was the 3-4 home defeat against Birmingham. Through ill health and a falling out of love with the game he decided not to renew his season ticket at the end of the 2016/2017 season, taking his seat sticker with his name with him. We had gone to Rangers together for twenty years before that, along with a very close friend and I continue to go to Rangers with that close friend.

The first game without him would have been the 2-0 win against Reading at the beginning of the 2017/2018 season and at the time it felt very strange not going with him, but we still shared our views on the club and games when we met up, keeping the commonality alive so to speak.

His ashes are at the stadium and I still say hello to him every time I go to a home game. The first time being the 2 all draw with 'Boro on the 9th of November 2019.

The lord only knows what he would have thought of last season.
Your first match without the person who first took you on 14:08 - Jun 11 with 2787 viewsBoston

My Dad only had a passing interest in football, or any sport barring horse racing come to that. He never took me to a game and, as I've often mentioned, I have no idea of who we played or when my first R's fixture was. Did go to a few matches with mates and their fathers though, recall Highbury, White Hart Lane and Stamford Bridge but it only took a couple of visits to Loftus Rd for me to know the team I preferred. Actually, I don't believe my parents even knew I'd been at football most of the time, although it seems almost insane nowadays, young kids would go out the front door and disappear for the whole day, just get home in one piece for the evening meal and you'd be ok.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your first match without the person who first took you on 18:53 - Jun 11 with 2654 viewsbosh67

I went to the Boro game at the start of the season and that was the first one since my dad passed away a few years ago. I was with Boro fans and they had the whole lunch and tea thing at the club so it was nice, and we won so it took the edge off but walking down towards the ground was weirs without him. I went a few times on a friend's ticket and although it was very good to be there it felt a bit hollow without my dad. We both got very worked up about everything when we were there so be there on my own with no one to really banter with was sad. Plus by then we were losing heavily at home as well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Your first match without the person who first took you on 20:46 - Jun 11 with 2600 viewshantssi

My dad took me to a pre-season friendly away at Torquay, late 60’s/early 70’s, he THINKS it might have been Parkes first game for us.
So I killed 2 birds with 1 stone, first game being an away game.
My dad passed away 14 years ago and when going through all his stuff we found all the Sunday papers from 5th March 1967!

PS I should really read the title of the thread, but can’t actually remember the first game without him but unfortunately he didn’t get to see the Warnock season
[Post edited 11 Jun 2023 21:08]
Your first match without the person who first took you on 19:34 - Jun 12 with 2424 viewsLunarJetman

The first game I remember was watching the 82 FA cup final round my grandparents house. The first one I ever attended was on 14th February 1989 to watch Watford v QPR in the Simod Cup quarter final. Was taken by a family friend with his son and my younger brother. We won on penalties and I have a memory of Seaman saving one with his legs after diving the wrong way.

First game at Loftus Road was on 5th May 1990 and I saw us lose 2-3 to Wimbledon on the last day of that season and Seaman’s last game for us before he was sold to Arsenal. Went with a mate who was an Arsenal fan on the train from South Ruislip.
Your first match without the person who first took you on 13:24 - Jun 14 with 2174 viewsSheffieldHoop

I was about 12, Millwall home under Gary Waddock (Might've been his first game?) - I wasn't allowed to go really but snuck out with my season ticket and got home all ok. Think my next was Leeds home early in the following season when Baidoo scored last minute to go 2-2 and that was it, hardly ever went to football with "adults" again after that

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Your first match without the person who first took you on 14:13 - Jun 14 with 2129 viewsParkRoyalR

Your first match without the person who first took you on 14:08 - Jun 11 by Boston

My Dad only had a passing interest in football, or any sport barring horse racing come to that. He never took me to a game and, as I've often mentioned, I have no idea of who we played or when my first R's fixture was. Did go to a few matches with mates and their fathers though, recall Highbury, White Hart Lane and Stamford Bridge but it only took a couple of visits to Loftus Rd for me to know the team I preferred. Actually, I don't believe my parents even knew I'd been at football most of the time, although it seems almost insane nowadays, young kids would go out the front door and disappear for the whole day, just get home in one piece for the evening meal and you'd be ok.

Same here,

First game was with a friends dads mate, recall being in the middle of a packed Loft as we played Arsenal (76/77 season I think), only memories were losing (2-1 I think) McLintock and Webb playing for QPR and Jimmy Rimmer being in goal for Arsenal, although in later years with his Villa stint was convinced I was wrong on that one, until google came along.

After that it was always with primary school mates from age 10 onwards, all just used to blag our parents we were going to the local park for the day and head over to Rangers and also occasionally, when Rangers were away, the schoolboys paddock section at Arsenal as was 50p entry for U12's in the late 70's.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024