Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate is Garbage at managing England 12:01 - Jun 20 with 6977 viewsnumptydumpty

There are plenty on here and throughout the country who constantly give this man a consistent hammering about everything he does for the England football team.

Myself personally I find this hard to comprehend.

The guy has done a fantastic job. Quarters, Semis and Final at last three major tournaments and the team spirit and togetherness which Gerrard Lampard Ferdinand era lacked spectacularly, is superb.

That's down to one man. Ie Mr Southgate.

I know what the justifications will be, we not beaten a so called elite side at finals for some time.

But really.

England have some superb attacking talent and also they want to play for Southgate and England.

So you Southgate knockers come on and speak your minds and explain why the man's skills are lacking !!

Am all ears !!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 12:03]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 16:24 - Jun 20 with 1536 viewsJuzzie

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 16:06 - Jun 20 by traininvain

And you only have to look at England’s defensive options (aside from Walker and Stones) to realise that’s a problem hence why Southgate’s accused of being overly negative by deploying two holding midfielders to protect the defence.

I don't think a lack of suitable defender's is Southgate's problem, as it were, so he has to fit the team/tactic to suit what/who is best available.

Are there better defender's than McGuire, for example? Genuine question as I'm not a massive follower of the PL (or any teams from abroad who may have English players).
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 16:35 - Jun 20 with 1520 viewstraininvain

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 16:24 - Jun 20 by Juzzie

I don't think a lack of suitable defender's is Southgate's problem, as it were, so he has to fit the team/tactic to suit what/who is best available.

Are there better defender's than McGuire, for example? Genuine question as I'm not a massive follower of the PL (or any teams from abroad who may have English players).

Possibly better options available than Maguire, albeit not much in it and his international experience probably gives him the edge.

There’s definitely a disconnect between England’s attacking and defensive options so getting the balance right is Southgate’s biggest challenge imo.

I also think England lack a top goalkeeper. Pickford’s done ok but he’s not world class. Ramsdale might take his position ahead of the Euros.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 17:27 - Jun 20 with 1462 viewsdaveB

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 16:24 - Jun 20 by Juzzie

Not really anyone better than him, Lewis Dunk is quite good but pulled out of squad injured. Not seen enough of Tomari but he's done well in Italy
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 18:35 - Jun 20 with 1428 viewsnumptydumpty

Started the thread would get a few on here bashing Southgate

But my thread was highlighting all the plums on here that complain about Southgate

In terms of results at tournaments and in qualifying second best ever. Definitely the players are all together as opposed to big club rivalries previous and extremely predictably the Sothgate Bashing Brigade that exist on this forum come to the fore.

Extremely sad and extremely dim.

Hey ho to the loftforwords dim dumbass brigade !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 01:27 - Jun 21 with 1324 viewsbob566

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 17:27 - Jun 20 by daveB

Not really anyone better than him, Lewis Dunk is quite good but pulled out of squad injured. Not seen enough of Tomari but he's done well in Italy

Chris Smalling too
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 02:46 - Jun 21 with 1309 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 13:58 - Jun 20 by Bluce_Ree

The f**k out of here, LFW Forum.

He got us to a penalty shoot out in the final. Sure he let three players go up who everyone could see would miss but at that point it's out of his hands a bit. But his record is sensational in comparison to everyone else who has had the job. And that Nations League thing is some bullshit piss. I don't even know what it is. The FA Trophy of national shit.

Same mentality as if Man City had lost that Champs League final. It'd be like 'Guardiola is a failure' when really he's the c**t who won them the league a load of times in a row and what would have 'only' be the double.

Sorry but I disagree about the Nations League. It is this kind of attitude that breeds losers. I think it was Iniesta that said that the great Spain team that won back-to-back Euros-WC-Euros between 2008 and 2012 developed their winning mentality by taking U18 and U21 tournaments seriously. He just couldn't understand why countries like England pay it such short shrift.

Similarly the Nations League. Just look at who's won it so far - Portugal, France and Spain. They're not treating it like a mickey mouse cup and neither should England.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 03:00 - Jun 21 with 1302 viewsBenny_the_Ball

To the OP, I think Southgate has done a very good job and deserves more respect. In particular, the togetherness he has built amongst the squad is refreshing.

However, you said it yourself. Despite some favourable draws (not to mention home advantage) at recent major tournaments, Southgate's England always fail to beat elite nations. The frustration of these defeats stems largely from Southgate's negative in-match tactics. They went 1 nil up early on against both Italy and Croatia only to go back into their shell and park the bus. This is suicide when you have defenders like Maguire. Against France it was a little better but you always sensed that Southgate was one step behind Deschamps.

As you say, England has some superb attacking talent; I'd like to see Southgate let them off the leash a little against the big boys.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 05:35 - Jun 21 with 1276 viewsSydneyRs

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 02:46 - Jun 21 by Benny_the_Ball

Sorry but I disagree about the Nations League. It is this kind of attitude that breeds losers. I think it was Iniesta that said that the great Spain team that won back-to-back Euros-WC-Euros between 2008 and 2012 developed their winning mentality by taking U18 and U21 tournaments seriously. He just couldn't understand why countries like England pay it such short shrift.

Similarly the Nations League. Just look at who's won it so far - Portugal, France and Spain. They're not treating it like a mickey mouse cup and neither should England.

Didn't England win a few of those younger age tournaments quite recently? Surely shows were on the right track development wise.
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 06:59 - Jun 21 with 1238 viewsdistortR

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 18:35 - Jun 20 by numptydumpty

But my thread was highlighting all the plums on here that complain about Southgate

In terms of results at tournaments and in qualifying second best ever. Definitely the players are all together as opposed to big club rivalries previous and extremely predictably the Sothgate Bashing Brigade that exist on this forum come to the fore.

Nah, you came on here to rehash something that's getting boring now.
Some like him, some don't, nothing's changed.
Can we not just leave it at that, rather then getting into insulting people?
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 07:12 - Jun 21 with 1230 viewsGaryBannister86

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 14:09 - Jun 20 by terryb

He has a better record than Venables & Robson, two managers that seem to be revered!

I have no idea how good Southgate is as a manager, but it looks to me that he has installed a spirit among the players that I've not seen in my lifetime.

He also has the luxury of having players available that would be selected by ALL other countries & with all of them wanting to play for England. It would be the icing on the cake if we could find at least one world class central defender, but look at the quality in front & beside of Stones & Maguire.

Two good candidates for each full back position, Alexander-Arnold, Rice & Bellingham in front of them & then pick three from the following: Saka, Foden, Grealish, Maddison, Rashford, Eze & Kane.

Maybe the biggest problem is the ability of replacements for midfield & Kane, but this is THE best England team since 1970 (and better than 1966).

I, for one, prefer watching this England team than any before!

I wholeheartedly agree with your Southgate comments, but please don't mention El Tel in any kind of negative way.

Now there was a managerial genius. What a job he did with us. Didn't do a bad one with England either and his removal for financial jiggery pokery was an absolute joke.

Proper legend.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 09:19 - Jun 21 with 1159 viewsterryb

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 07:12 - Jun 21 by GaryBannister86

I wholeheartedly agree with your Southgate comments, but please don't mention El Tel in any kind of negative way.

Now there was a managerial genius. What a job he did with us. Didn't do a bad one with England either and his removal for financial jiggery pokery was an absolute joke.

Proper legend.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be detrimental to TV. I still believe we would have won the FL if he hadn't moved to Barcelona.

You're right , he did a reasonable job with England, as did Robson, but his only knock out victory was by winning a penalty shootout.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 09:36 - Jun 21 with 1145 viewsstantheman10

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 18:35 - Jun 20 by numptydumpty

You are an extremely arrogant person to think that only your opinion of Southgate is right and anyone who disagrees is a 'plum' or 'dim dumbass'. You on the other hand are an opinionated pr1ck
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 11:55 - Jun 21 with 1059 viewsBAWHoops

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 03:00 - Jun 21 by Benny_the_Ball

To the OP, I think Southgate has done a very good job and deserves more respect. In particular, the togetherness he has built amongst the squad is refreshing.

However, you said it yourself. Despite some favourable draws (not to mention home advantage) at recent major tournaments, Southgate's England always fail to beat elite nations. The frustration of these defeats stems largely from Southgate's negative in-match tactics. They went 1 nil up early on against both Italy and Croatia only to go back into their shell and park the bus. This is suicide when you have defenders like Maguire. Against France it was a little better but you always sensed that Southgate was one step behind Deschamps.

As you say, England has some superb attacking talent; I'd like to see Southgate let them off the leash a little against the big boys.

Southgate has beaten Spain, Italy, Germany, Croatia in competitive matches since he became manager.
He's lost to Spain, Italy, Croatia & France. I don't buy that he flops against the big sides. It's pretty much toss of a coin if we beat them or not (as it is with all international football).

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 13:52 - Jun 21 with 991 viewswesty

Couldn’t agree more numpty.
Plenty of keyboard managers know better but in reality he’s far more successful than Robson who everyone loved for getting to a semi final beating poor opposition anlong the way and Venables who tbf was a bit unlucky in 96.
As you say every single player wants to play for him.
Also look before the game and how he’s got them to respect the country they are representing with the National Anthem.
Something Neville et al should have been embarrassed about.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 14:12 - Jun 21 with 977 viewsCamberleyR

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 13:52 - Jun 21 by westy

Couldn’t agree more numpty.
Plenty of keyboard managers know better but in reality he’s far more successful than Robson who everyone loved for getting to a semi final beating poor opposition anlong the way and Venables who tbf was a bit unlucky in 96.
As you say every single player wants to play for him.
Also look before the game and how he’s got them to respect the country they are representing with the National Anthem.
Something Neville et al should have been embarrassed about.

IMO, Egypt may have been but Belgium and Cameroon were far from poor opposition in 1990. Cameroon remember beat eventual finalists Argentina in the opening group game and topped the group also containing the USSR and Romania.

I still think that 1990 Cameroon team was the best African team there's been at a World Cup.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 14:47 - Jun 21 with 929 viewswesty

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 14:12 - Jun 21 by CamberleyR

IMO, Egypt may have been but Belgium and Cameroon were far from poor opposition in 1990. Cameroon remember beat eventual finalists Argentina in the opening group game and topped the group also containing the USSR and Romania.

I still think that 1990 Cameroon team was the best African team there's been at a World Cup.

Fair play regarding Cameroon they certainly played with no fear. My main point was you can only beat who’s put in front of you, regarding Southgate’s England. Who seem to get vilified for beating so called poor teams.
Luck plays a massive part in tournament football and it’s not always the best team who wins.
I think right now there is not a better manager suited to the role than Southgate. Certainly a huge upgrade on Hodgson and Sam
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 15:12 - Jun 21 with 909 viewskensalriser

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 14:12 - Jun 21 by CamberleyR

Excellent shout on that Cameroon side. Roger Milla!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 16:47 - Jun 21 with 868 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 05:35 - Jun 21 by SydneyRs

Didn't England win a few of those younger age tournaments quite recently? Surely shows were on the right track development wise.

They've won one or two at the younger end of the spectrum but England don't tend to field their best team at U21 tournaments as the better players have already represented the first team and view playing for the U21 as a backward step (e.g. Foden, Saka, Bellingham).
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 17:00 - Jun 21 with 852 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 11:55 - Jun 21 by BAWHoops

Southgate has beaten Spain, Italy, Germany, Croatia in competitive matches since he became manager.
He's lost to Spain, Italy, Croatia & France. I don't buy that he flops against the big sides. It's pretty much toss of a coin if we beat them or not (as it is with all international football).

There's a big difference between beating a side in qualifying and beating a team at a major tournament. At the Euros and WC, the only elite team Southgate's England has beaten is Germany. They've lost to Belgium (twice), Italy, Croatia and France.

In any event, you're cherry picking as my original post was balanced and gives Southgate credit for doing a very good job overall. It appears that some can't stomach even the slightest criticism of the man.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2023 17:04]
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 17:11 - Jun 21 with 838 viewsNed_Kennedys

Southgate is a bang average manager: when he thankfully goes there is no chance in hell he will get a manager’s job at a top European side.
Not in the same league as Terry Venables or Bobby Robson who knew how to win trophies and managed at the top level.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 17:34 - Jun 21 with 818 viewsYorkshirehoop

Southgate has done better than nearly all the previous managers.people say we played sh1t opposition but he don't choose who we play.Look at Capello.couldnt even be bothered to learn the English language and coated his own players to further distance himself for any blame.came to England with a reputation of being one of the best coaches/managers in the world.really ? Sven goran Eriksson another who was supposed to be the dogs.This was a man that was prepared to lower his level to manage notts county.look how that turned out.big Sam.steve McLaren Glenn hoddle and Terry venables.did any of them do better ? No they didn't.yes one or two of his selections can be questionable but when asked any question by the media he looks straight into the camera and gives his truth whether people like it or not.going in to the world cup in Russia we all would have took a semi final.but no !.loads slated us by saying we should have beaten an O A P side like Croatia.the same Croatia squad that was even older and knocked out Brazil who were the favourites to win the world cup.The euro final v Italy. again we would have took that.yes it was a mistake to not go for the kill and it backfired.To knock penalties past the Italian keeper who has the wingspan of a peacock was far from easy.Spain were tipped for years to win major tournaments and they got there in the end.we are improving all the time and we will have our time.the level of talent we have it simply will happen and I hope that is under Southgate.Some people need to get real and be patient.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 18:43 - Jun 21 with 777 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 17:34 - Jun 21 by Yorkshirehoop

Southgate has done better than nearly all the previous managers.people say we played sh1t opposition but he don't choose who we play.Look at Capello.couldnt even be bothered to learn the English language and coated his own players to further distance himself for any blame.came to England with a reputation of being one of the best coaches/managers in the world.really ? Sven goran Eriksson another who was supposed to be the dogs.This was a man that was prepared to lower his level to manage notts county.look how that turned out.big Sam.steve McLaren Glenn hoddle and Terry venables.did any of them do better ? No they didn't.yes one or two of his selections can be questionable but when asked any question by the media he looks straight into the camera and gives his truth whether people like it or not.going in to the world cup in Russia we all would have took a semi final.but no !.loads slated us by saying we should have beaten an O A P side like Croatia.the same Croatia squad that was even older and knocked out Brazil who were the favourites to win the world cup.The euro final v Italy. again we would have took that.yes it was a mistake to not go for the kill and it backfired.To knock penalties past the Italian keeper who has the wingspan of a peacock was far from easy.Spain were tipped for years to win major tournaments and they got there in the end.we are improving all the time and we will have our time.the level of talent we have it simply will happen and I hope that is under Southgate.Some people need to get real and be patient.

The same patience you display when typing out your thoughts? Before telling folk to "get real" please improve your grammar by at least using capital letters, spacing, and punctuation. It'll make your submission stronger, clearer, and more effective.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 19:46 - Jun 21 with 745 viewsterryb

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 17:11 - Jun 21 by Ned_Kennedys

Southgate is a bang average manager: when he thankfully goes there is no chance in hell he will get a manager’s job at a top European side.
Not in the same league as Terry Venables or Bobby Robson who knew how to win trophies and managed at the top level.

Not for England though. One semi final each.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 20:06 - Jun 21 with 726 viewstraininvain

Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 19:46 - Jun 21 by terryb

Not for England though. One semi final each.

And it’s a big difference between managing club and international teams. If being a successful club football manager translated to international then Capello would’ve been a bigger success for England.
Southgate is Garbage at managing England on 20:25 - Jun 21 with 712 viewsYorkshirehoop

That's harsh to say that.This is a football forum ffs and didn't think it it was a test of ones use of English literature and punctuation, I made my point saying Southgate is being criticised unjustly and stand by that.I don't have time to check every possible spelling mistake but I really hope this post meets your standards.All capital letters where needed,I even put two commas in there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024