Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right man. Right time? – Column 23:20 - Oct 30 with 19513 viewsNorthernr

Two 18 hour work days consecutively. Can we have a quiet one tomorrow please.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61182
Right man. Right time? – Column on 14:52 - Oct 31 with 3506 viewsderbyhoop

I'm in awe that you could turn out a comprehensive piece like this at such short notice.
I'm guessing that you might have had some of the details from when Cifuentes was mentioned previously.

Like most on here, I knew very little about him, but I feel I have a better idea now. On the surface, he looks like a follow on from Warburton, Beale, Critchley, with Ainsworth's tenure as an aberration. I note he is classed as Head Coach, rather than manager. I wonder who will be dealing with transfers, if there are to be such things.

Let's hope he hits the ground running and he can get a result in New York, as he did with the Norwegian outfit.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:00 - Oct 31 with 3478 viewslassel

Right man. Right time? – Column on 14:38 - Oct 31 by NewBee

@Hoopsie
"If we wanted Cifuentes for more than a year, why would Cifuentes still wanted to come after how our club imploded since beale departed right up to now?"
@Lassel
"Championship club in London, some decent young players and ripe for a full makeover."

You might have added "Work Permit" to your reply, Lassel. Earlier I posted about the attractions of English football for someone who is young, talented and ambitious.

And in that context, to borrow a Hollowayism, QPR might not be the prettiest girl in the nightclub, but she'll do for now and if she's willing to come home with you afterwards, then it can round off a very pleasant evening. I mean, it's not as if you (i.e. MC) are thinking of a long-term relationship, is it?

While there may be another aspect to this move, aside from his desire to get to England, namely his desire to get away from Sweden. For regardless of how well he may be doing at Hammerby presently, Swedish club football isn't in a very good place right now. Meaning that the outlook for any ambitious young coach, no matter how talented, can't be too rosy.

That is, the top Swedish team in UEFA's Club Coefficients is Malmo, at 84th . Next is Djurgarden at 94th, with Hammarby the third highest Swedish club with a ranking of 246th:
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2024

While on a Country level, Sweden has now dropped to 23rd in Europe (i.e. barely top half), one position below Cyprus and 8 and 9 positions respectively below comparable Scandi countries, Norway and Denmark:
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2024
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 14:40]

100% - he definitely didn’t grow up with a Trevor Sinclair poster on his wall, and like Beale before him, he will see QPR as a stepping stone to a bigger job, but for me this shouldn’t be an issue - we need to be realistic that we aren’t exactly a catch and for him to get the sort of jobs he dreams of he needs to do something incredible here.

He turned down Spanish top flight clubs as I imagine he saw full well that no matter he did there was no chance of ever getting one of the top jobs there, whereas if he is able to oversee a rebuild at QPR he will no doubt be plucked away by a PL side and have the chance of doing a Potter.

Even if the worst case happened and he smashed it and is plucked away by a PL club, he should leave us in a far better position than he finds us.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:19 - Oct 31 with 3398 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:00 - Oct 31 by lassel

100% - he definitely didn’t grow up with a Trevor Sinclair poster on his wall, and like Beale before him, he will see QPR as a stepping stone to a bigger job, but for me this shouldn’t be an issue - we need to be realistic that we aren’t exactly a catch and for him to get the sort of jobs he dreams of he needs to do something incredible here.

He turned down Spanish top flight clubs as I imagine he saw full well that no matter he did there was no chance of ever getting one of the top jobs there, whereas if he is able to oversee a rebuild at QPR he will no doubt be plucked away by a PL side and have the chance of doing a Potter.

Even if the worst case happened and he smashed it and is plucked away by a PL club, he should leave us in a far better position than he finds us.

If he smashes this, with this squad, and this budget, he'll be linked with every other job going and he'll deserve it.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:32 - Oct 31 with 3339 viewsNewBee

Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:19 - Oct 31 by Northernr

If he smashes this, with this squad, and this budget, he'll be linked with every other job going and he'll deserve it.

Absolutely! With "every other job" to include PL clubs.

While if he doesn't exactly "smash" it and QPR still go down, but he's been seen as having done a good job in all the circumstances, there will still be decent Championship clubs willing to give him a go.

In fact, the only downside for him is if he turns out to be another Ainsworth (or worse). And I'm quite sure he doesn't for one moment consider that to be even remotely possible.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:36 - Oct 31 with 3346 viewsswisscottage

Great piece, thank you Clive.

Given the speed you put it out, Out of interest, how much of the Warnock stuff was pre-written in case we went for Warnock, and only needed adjustment for a different appointee ? ;)
Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:45 - Oct 31 with 3325 viewsLongRanger

Great report, cheers.

I think he could do a very good job this year, but due to current points, position and squad still get relegated. I hope he isn't judged on what has gone before. This line summed it up for me ' If he’s here regardless of whether we stay up or not then I’m a lot more invested.'

I hope they've all agreed a worse case scenario plan for league 1 next year, when the owners would have the FFP opportunity to press a big reset button and give him all the tools to bring us straight back.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:55 - Oct 31 with 3304 viewssimmo

Lovely stuff, a great article as expected and speaks for most of us I'd imagine.

In my opinion this is the board deciding to go with who they wanted originally, and swallowing the short term pain for long term benefit. They have clearly learned that style is important enough to be a consideration - as Clive alluded to - and they want to get back to a point where young players are coached and would want to come and learn here, either permanently or on loan, so we can sell them.

I think MC's recent experience of taking over a struggling club, going down with them, then implementing his style to get them back and consolidate is the realistic scenario here. The best case is we adapt quicker than expected and stay up, but I can't see it considering how aggresively we've been heading in the complete opposite direction.

The issue we have short term is that when the likes of Begovic and Fox struggle to adapt, when the playing out from the back mistakes go viral, and when the attempts to lipstick a pig show no signs of progress, will we have enough patience left to see the bigger picture? Particualrly if Warnock goes somewhere else and shows results.... I would hope so - but lots of us might not have much more to give...

Either way, I'm glad we made a change.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:56 - Oct 31 with 3299 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:36 - Oct 31 by swisscottage

Great piece, thank you Clive.

Given the speed you put it out, Out of interest, how much of the Warnock stuff was pre-written in case we went for Warnock, and only needed adjustment for a different appointee ? ;)

Yeh had done some Warnock stuff last week when I just thought it was inevitable, so top it with that.
And also had some Cifuentes stuff from a year ago in The Darren Ambrose Memorial Recycle Bin.
Can you spot the stitching?
Login to get fewer ads

Right man. Right time? – Column on 16:33 - Oct 31 with 3179 viewslassel

Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:19 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Absolutely - my definition of smashing it though would ‘only’ be implementing his playing style quickly, keeping us up this year and then being comfortably mid table next Xmas.

I certainly think it’s very doable to survive this season, even if only by virtue of being slightly less shit for the next 6 months than Plymouth, Rotherham, Huddersfield and Sheff Utd.

I also 100% take onboard your point that there just aren’t enough goals in this team, which in Ainsworth’s ‘style’ if it even deserved that much respect there definitely weren’t, but my perhaps overly optimistic feeling is that with a front 3 of Chair, Willock +1 interchanging we have players who can chip in goals, albeit I can well imagine there being some 1-0’s that have everyone chewing the seats….

The key for me is that Cifuentes has just finished the season at Hammarby having everything but the kitchen sink sold off and having to fill in the gaps with freebies - admittedly not easy in the UK post Brexit, has also had experience of being relegated and having to rip the floorboards up and rebuild it all again.

He also has a team this year at Hammarby that relied on goals from unconventional places - the 19 year old Montenegran winger has 10, next is their DM Beshara with 8 and 10 assists, so I imagine he thinks the same as you that someone like Dozzell should really be chipping in with goals.

Most importantly though, Cifuentes has been watching our games (most likely after 8 aquavits to get through it) and thought he could keep us up so he must’ve seen something he thinks he can work with……I have no doubt he will need some luck on the injury front, possibly a couple of left field freebies to plug the gaps and I don’t quite see that including the likes of Kakay, Armstrong and possibly even Dykes.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 16:42 - Oct 31 with 3112 viewsdaveB

Right man. Right time? – Column on 15:55 - Oct 31 by simmo

Lovely stuff, a great article as expected and speaks for most of us I'd imagine.

In my opinion this is the board deciding to go with who they wanted originally, and swallowing the short term pain for long term benefit. They have clearly learned that style is important enough to be a consideration - as Clive alluded to - and they want to get back to a point where young players are coached and would want to come and learn here, either permanently or on loan, so we can sell them.

I think MC's recent experience of taking over a struggling club, going down with them, then implementing his style to get them back and consolidate is the realistic scenario here. The best case is we adapt quicker than expected and stay up, but I can't see it considering how aggresively we've been heading in the complete opposite direction.

The issue we have short term is that when the likes of Begovic and Fox struggle to adapt, when the playing out from the back mistakes go viral, and when the attempts to lipstick a pig show no signs of progress, will we have enough patience left to see the bigger picture? Particualrly if Warnock goes somewhere else and shows results.... I would hope so - but lots of us might not have much more to give...

Either way, I'm glad we made a change.

Begovic might be better off playing out as he's awful kicking long
Right man. Right time? – Column on 17:27 - Oct 31 with 2974 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 16:42 - Oct 31 by daveB

Begovic might be better off playing out as he's awful kicking long

Looking forward to revisiting this...
Right man. Right time? – Column on 17:27 - Oct 31 with 2973 viewsNorthernr

Neil Banks, who I've quoted in our piece, is a QPR fan many of you will know from down the years, now a season ticket holder at Hammarby. We've got half an hour with him on the Patreon now for all subscription tiers...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/neil-banks-92023606
Right man. Right time? – Column on 17:47 - Oct 31 with 2890 viewsHooping_Mad

Right man. Right time? – Column on 17:27 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Neil Banks, who I've quoted in our piece, is a QPR fan many of you will know from down the years, now a season ticket holder at Hammarby. We've got half an hour with him on the Patreon now for all subscription tiers...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/neil-banks-92023606

Do we have a quick easy method to sub Clive or do we have to go through the pain of Patreon account setup?

I'd like to sub but without sharing my details with that company if possible.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Right man. Right time? – Column on 18:02 - Oct 31 with 2833 viewsDorse

Who we got...?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Right man. Right time? – Column on 19:16 - Oct 31 with 2676 viewsbaz_qpr

Interesting tweet from Evening Standard reporter

Edit - Lol just read Lassels post on the other thread so for I've been told make it read it on LFW
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 19:20]
Right man. Right time? – Column on 19:35 - Oct 31 with 2620 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Right man. Right time? – Column on 19:16 - Oct 31 by baz_qpr

Interesting tweet from Evening Standard reporter

Edit - Lol just read Lassels post on the other thread so for I've been told make it read it on LFW
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 19:20]

That is good news on 2 fronts bazqpr ,first the board knew that GA was doomed to fail and were activly looking to get this man over here .We all questioned why the ax did not fall before the International break so this might answer that.
Secondly and more importantly he studied QPR for 8 games 6 of which were total garbage yet he is still willing to sign on now that is nice
Right man. Right time? – Column on 20:06 - Oct 31 with 2503 viewsHoopsie

Right man. Right time? – Column on 14:05 - Oct 31 by lassel

Championship club in London, some decent young players and ripe for a full makeover.

The situation here won’t be alien to him, Hammarby flogged the crown jewels for €10m+ last winter and he had to replace them with loans and freebies. His one big splash out was €1m on a 19 year old winger from the Montenegrin league who has chipped in 10 goals so he will have a plan I’m sure to wheel and deal here.

Agreed about London club

What about Millwall, London club, more stable, looking for next manager to bring them up the next level

QPR? Relegation threatened and odds on favourites. Not won at home for a year. Poor results. Bang average players (some alleged L1 or L2 standard). FFP handicap - no money. Academy players I won’t go there. Just sacked 2 managers in 8 months.

West London. Nice, but QPR?

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy he’s here although initially I preferred Warnock. But surely through the basket case of our club he must have seen something that he thought he could work on and deliver the results. No one comes to a “new” country (first first head coach job in England) to fail. He must have seen something we don’t, come on, many here wants to sack the board too

I hope he does well. Actually I am quite trilled about the football he’s going to play

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Right man. Right time? – Column on 21:07 - Oct 31 with 2345 viewsdaveB

Right man. Right time? – Column on 17:27 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Looking forward to revisiting this...

yeah I'll emphasise the word might as I don't have much confidence in him either
Right man. Right time? – Column on 21:12 - Oct 31 with 2329 viewsVancouverHoop

Our players should be ecstatic to finally have coach who has a plan, and a football philosophy that's coherent and that they can execute.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 21:29 - Oct 31 with 2262 viewslassel

Right man. Right time? – Column on 21:12 - Oct 31 by VancouverHoop

Our players should be ecstatic to finally have coach who has a plan, and a football philosophy that's coherent and that they can execute.

At the risk of making excuses for a couple of simply unprofessional bellends, I have wondered if a large part of the reason for Willock and Richards seemingly tossing off Ainsworths stint was that they simply had no interest or intention of bending to his style….

When you’ve come up through the ranks at City and Arsenal with your whole football development consisting of it being militarily drilled into you to want the ball, using space to make the ball do the work, to suddenly be told to forget all that and ‘get er up to Sincs’ must be quite jarring and hard to swallow.

Equally I’ve felt it pretty evident that Colbacks attitude and desire to fight for the cause noticeably drained away as the football got more and more prehistoric by the week.

Now this could all blow up spectacularly in a few weeks and indeed they’re all just dickheads who will sack off Marti as well but I just have a sneaky suspicion that we might see a rejuvenated Willock and actually finally see something out of Richards.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 21:45 - Oct 31 with 2187 viewsstevec

It all sounded good until I reached the bit ‘it'll be 95% of the time to Dykes on the ground’.

As for the idea that we will pass our way out from the goal line to the midfield, good luck with that.

If nothing else, we’ll be handing over 3 years salary for 6 months work to a half decent manager, for that we should be grateful.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 03:11 - Nov 1 with 1760 viewsrbee

Talksport, White and Jordan, discuss Marti's appointment. Sorry if it has already been posted.

Right man. Right time? – Column on 05:11 - Nov 1 with 1715 viewsQPunkR

I'll feel bad for Evil Les if this appointment is the success we all hope it is, as Lee Hoos will no doubt milk any success for all is worth even though it was pre-planned under the Evil One's tenure and we just couldn't get it over the line at the time due to financial constraints

QPR - "shit but local"

Right man. Right time? – Column on 06:25 - Nov 1 with 1648 viewsSK_hoops

Right man. Right time? – Column on 20:06 - Oct 31 by Hoopsie

Agreed about London club

What about Millwall, London club, more stable, looking for next manager to bring them up the next level

QPR? Relegation threatened and odds on favourites. Not won at home for a year. Poor results. Bang average players (some alleged L1 or L2 standard). FFP handicap - no money. Academy players I won’t go there. Just sacked 2 managers in 8 months.

West London. Nice, but QPR?

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy he’s here although initially I preferred Warnock. But surely through the basket case of our club he must have seen something that he thought he could work on and deliver the results. No one comes to a “new” country (first first head coach job in England) to fail. He must have seen something we don’t, come on, many here wants to sack the board too

I hope he does well. Actually I am quite trilled about the football he’s going to play

Maybe Millwall weren't aware of him?
Right man. Right time? – Column on 07:39 - Nov 1 with 1544 viewsngbqpr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 03:11 - Nov 1 by rbee

Talksport, White and Jordan, discuss Marti's appointment. Sorry if it has already been posted.

I know he can come across as an insufferably smug tw@t, but I have to say I frequently rate Jordan's punditry.

The compare and contrast with White there is a case in point - his degree of knowledge and open mind vs JW's digging for negativity and sensationalism.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024