Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic 17:57 - Mar 9 with 62219 viewsE17hoop

I'm beginning to think maybe he isn't that great after all. Is it time for him to be dropped?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Begovic on 09:08 - Apr 10 with 2231 viewsmikeyhg

Begovic on 08:38 - Apr 10 by TheChef

Agreed - Smyth had two/three very presentable chances and didn't score. And we are where we are because of our failures in front of goal, not because of a dodgy keeper.

Begovic made a couple of important saves at Swansea but then did that last night. He is what he is. Four more games, we shake hands and wave goodbye.

Anyway I still think we'll be OK.

Yeah spot on. Has made some huge saves for us, brought his experience which has been key at times but equally made some big errors. Last night was very disappointing as it would have guaranteed safety and we never looked like conceding yesterday. We only need three more points and we're capable of beating anyone in this league home or away so odds in our favour even if it could and should of been done by now. 6 weeks we'd of given anything to be in this position.
Begovic on 09:12 - Apr 10 with 2180 viewsgazza1

Begovic on 09:06 - Apr 10 by Ned_Kennedys

This thread trundles on due to the ridiculous histrionics from some about our keeper.

He’s way past his best, doesn’t fit in with the new manager’s style of play, distribution is poor and he makes too many mistakes. Out of contract in a few months and literally nobody is suggesting we keep him on for next season.

However everyone seems to rate Cifuentes and he has decided to keep Begovic in the team and keep him as our captain. Begovic has also made a number of decent saves this season and been an ever present part of a much improved defence recently: overall I would say we would probably have less points and conceded more goals if Archer, Walsh, Mahoney etc had been in goal.

Awful mistake yesterday cost us a goal but we should have been two or three up by that point if our numerous attacking players had any idea how to score.

MC has no options until the Summer. As far as Captaincy - what good would it do as you suggest if MC said, for example, Cook you are now Club Captain?? Please tell me because I am very interested. The other keepers are apparently not good enough either, I cannot comment really because I have not seen them play enough. MC should apportion no blame for Begovic.

Begovic has conceded far too many goals when he should have done a lot better. He has other deficiencies as well but as you say he will be history very soon and then we can judge MC accordingly.
[Post edited 10 Apr 16:21]
Begovic on 09:20 - Apr 10 with 2101 viewsGaryBannister86

This thread trundles on due to the ridiculous histrionics from some about our keeper.

He’s way past his best, doesn’t fit in with the new manager’s style of play, distribution is poor and he makes too many mistakes. Out of contract in a few months and literally nobody is suggesting we keep him on for next season.

However everyone seems to rate Cifuentes and he has decided to keep Begovic in the team and keep him as our captain. Begovic has also made a number of decent saves this season and been an ever present part of a much improved defence recently: overall I would say we would probably have less points and conceded more goals if Archer, Walsh, Mahoney etc had been in goal.

Awful mistake yesterday cost us a goal but we should have been two or three up by that point if our numerous attacking players had any idea how to score.

You say they are ridiculous histrionics - I say they are passionate opinions.

Respect your opinion too. I never like goalkeepers anyway, perhaps Seny the only I have liked in recent times. I think they are mostly average.

So why do you want to give the bloke a free pass? As a QPR fan, aside from the fact that he plays in our goal, why do you want to be so generous towards him? Why would you ever like him?

What is there to like? He is no doubt overpaid, Chelsea, clearly doesn't care with all his other interests / podcasts, and I refuse to believe anyone watches him and thinks he is a good keeper. Christ, he wasn't even a good goalkeeper when he was in his "prime".

One routine save and apparently we all have to bow down because of his vast experience.

Watch Cook in recent games - he doesn't trust him either.

How do you know Walsh wouldn't have done better? He could be a very promising keeper. I don't think you can use the Marti card, either. He had little choice and however good Walsh might be, even I would struggle to throw him in at this moment.

The moment we are safe though (if), I would give him a go. Or Salomon.
Begovic on 09:22 - Apr 10 with 2080 viewsGaryBannister86

And, reading that, I can see they are indeed histrionics, so fair play :-)

But I am so annoyed he cost us last night. And with Smyth.

Arrrrrrrrrggghhhhh.
Begovic on 09:26 - Apr 10 with 2041 viewsLandshark

Of course Begovic was at fault for the goal but the corner they scored from came from a very good save from him in the first place. An absolute rocket from the £1 million Plymouth right back (ahhh to have money to sign a player, those were the days).

He's not a perfect keeper but for a FREE signing he will do. Only 4 more games left with him and then we can go find another free goalkeeper because they are quite easy to find. Joe Lumley anyone?
Begovic on 09:30 - Apr 10 with 2016 viewsGaryBannister86

Begovic on 09:26 - Apr 10 by Landshark

Of course Begovic was at fault for the goal but the corner they scored from came from a very good save from him in the first place. An absolute rocket from the £1 million Plymouth right back (ahhh to have money to sign a player, those were the days).

He's not a perfect keeper but for a FREE signing he will do. Only 4 more games left with him and then we can go find another free goalkeeper because they are quite easy to find. Joe Lumley anyone?

Three things to disagree with there:

1) Very good save - not sure about that. Got to save those.

2) He wasn't free in any way, surely.

3) Presume the Joe Lumley bit is a joke.
Begovic on 09:32 - Apr 10 with 1998 viewsgazza1

Begovic on 09:26 - Apr 10 by Landshark

He is there to stop shots....he did and they got a corner - well done. He might as well not saved the rocket shot because he failed with the corner. Whats your point??

If you think he was a 'free' then sobeit but I would suggest that he would have been given a 'signing on' fee.......my view - whatever he got or gets is far too much!!!
Begovic on 09:37 - Apr 10 with 1966 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic on 09:22 - Apr 10 by GaryBannister86

And, reading that, I can see they are indeed histrionics, so fair play :-)

But I am so annoyed he cost us last night. And with Smyth.

Arrrrrrrrrggghhhhh.

Login to get fewer ads

Begovic on 09:41 - Apr 10 with 1928 viewsGaryBannister86

Begovic on 09:37 - Apr 10 by Ned_Kennedys

Indecisive, me? I don't think so. Maybe.
Begovic on 09:54 - Apr 10 with 1841 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Not really histrionics though, is it? We're more or less safe from relegation with five minutes to go, another decent result on the road and then he gifts them their equaliser.

You're clearly going to carry on defending him but he's been an abysmal signing on every level - semi-retired, barely opens his mouth unless he's on a Chelsea podcast and zero sell-on value.

On the positive side, only four games left...
Begovic on 10:41 - Apr 10 with 1698 viewsDannyPaddox

People like slagging goalkeepers off. Seny, one of the best keepers I’ve seen at Loftus Road, was getting this treatment last season. Since then he’s had a great season for Boro, become a fan’s favourite, and is being courted by Premier League clubs.

Our current No.1 is not perfect but I’m still glad we’ve got Asmir Flapovic /Asmir Basic-Errorvic / Asmir Beggars-Beliefovic in goal. Damn this predictive text.

Only 4 more games you say?
Begovic on 11:51 - Apr 10 with 1538 viewsChrisNW6

Begovic on 09:54 - Apr 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

Not really histrionics though, is it? We're more or less safe from relegation with five minutes to go, another decent result on the road and then he gifts them their equaliser.

You're clearly going to carry on defending him but he's been an abysmal signing on every level - semi-retired, barely opens his mouth unless he's on a Chelsea podcast and zero sell-on value.

On the positive side, only four games left...

Not sure we could have got a much better option two weeks before the season started with no transfer fee and within our wage structure.

Remember we started the season with a make shift defence and Seny was sold quite late. So on paper it ticked many boxes bringing in an experienced pro.
Begovic on 11:58 - Apr 10 with 1503 viewsWatford_Ranger

Begovic on 06:29 - Apr 10 by hoops_legend

So begovic gets absolutely crucified for his mistake while Smyth just gets a free pass for missing an absolute sitter?

I’m sorry but smyths mistake vs Plymouth is just as bad as begovics if not worse. At least begovic made one decent save during the same whil smyth can’t score in a brothel at the moment

We do need a new keeper next season though - no doubt and that mistake confirmed it

Smyth is a squad player and, I assume, cheap. We knew what we were getting and he does some parts of the role very well and is at the level he is because of his lack of composure. Of course he should be sticking that chance away.

Begovic is a senior player with a salary to match, the captain for some reason, and has let us down at some crucial times this season. Yes he was good at Swansea- I wouldn’t say any of the saves were brilliant but he did well overall- but that is kind of his job. Overall he’s been a pretty terrible signing.
Begovic on 12:15 - Apr 10 with 1456 viewsDannyPaddox

I totally understand the Begovic criticism but I don’t understand when he makes a good save or has a good game people say “well that’s what he’s supposed to do”

It’s like if Lyndon Dykes scored 20 goals in a season … (ha that made you laugh) … and every time he scored one of those goals people would dismiss it by saying, “well that’s what he’s supposed to do”.
Begovic on 12:23 - Apr 10 with 1390 viewsJuzzie

Begovic cost us 2 points last night, for sure. However, he made some good saves too and also made a good save from a fierce last minute free kick at home to Birmingham that could have ended 2-2.

Football is a game designed for goals to be scored otherwise every game would end 0-0.

Yes, some goals come from defensive & goalie mistakes but some goals, most goals I'd imagine, are just good goals.
A 'keeper cannot save every one so it does get a bit frustrating when they are constantly berated. Some of it is deserved but a lot of it isn't.
Begovic on 12:24 - Apr 10 with 1381 viewsYorkRanger

It was very poor, but there is no chance of any change for the remaining 4 games and on balance nor should there be.

Hopefully there will a goalkeeping gem in Denmark that Marti has his eye on for the Summer...
Begovic on 12:34 - Apr 10 with 1325 viewsWatford_Ranger

Begovic on 12:15 - Apr 10 by DannyPaddox

I totally understand the Begovic criticism but I don’t understand when he makes a good save or has a good game people say “well that’s what he’s supposed to do”

It’s like if Lyndon Dykes scored 20 goals in a season … (ha that made you laugh) … and every time he scored one of those goals people would dismiss it by saying, “well that’s what he’s supposed to do”.

If Dykes was occasionally in the right place to score simple goals and got 12 or so a season it would be what he’s supposed to do. If he was smashing the odd one in from 25 yards, winning 80% of headers and laying chances on for Smyth like he did last night I’d say he was going beyond what was expected just as there’s a difference between Begovic making routine saves and making great ones. If any of Plymouth’s chances had gone in they would’ve been howlers.
Begovic on 12:36 - Apr 10 with 1309 viewsrobith

I really don't get why people keep bringing "Chelsea" up like that's a legitimate criticism. He didn't even play 20 games for them. His performances have been poor enough, you can just say he's crap without this weird sabre rattling
Begovic on 12:46 - Apr 10 with 1243 viewsTheChef

Begovic on 12:15 - Apr 10 by DannyPaddox

Pffft hark at Roy Keane over here...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Begovic on 13:20 - Apr 10 with 1132 viewsstainrods_elbow

Begovic on 06:48 - Apr 10 by GaryBannister86

Well I must be crackers then. He's dreadful at kicking, dreadful at movement (see this free kick "save" last night), dreadful at crosses. Played well for about a cumulative 45 mins all season. Giving him a pass for routine saves is embarrassing, all keepers make them. He is a "captain" who does nothing and makes no noise, and I've stood behind him most of the year. Made no more saves than any keeper would. His reaction last night to try and blame Adomah summed it all up for me. Just hurt he can't tweet out his soccer school and gloves merch last night, now. Although it didn't stop him before.

4 games to go of the Chelsea mercenary.

I think your last line is the giveaway, but I do agree with the general view that Cook should be Captain Cook - and next season hopefully will be - now we can all presumably agree there's nothing wrong with his contract.

How/where/when was he clearly blaming Uncs, by the way?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Begovic on 13:25 - Apr 10 with 1094 viewsstainrods_elbow

Begovic on 09:08 - Apr 10 by mikeyhg

Yeah spot on. Has made some huge saves for us, brought his experience which has been key at times but equally made some big errors. Last night was very disappointing as it would have guaranteed safety and we never looked like conceding yesterday. We only need three more points and we're capable of beating anyone in this league home or away so odds in our favour even if it could and should of been done by now. 6 weeks we'd of given anything to be in this position.

I was thinking it could have been good PR for him and for the club if they'd lined him up for a post-match interview and he'd held his hands up about the g . . . Doh.

Begovic on 13:28 - Apr 10 with 1081 viewsGaryBannister86

Begovic on 13:20 - Apr 10 by stainrods_elbow

I think your last line is the giveaway, but I do agree with the general view that Cook should be Captain Cook - and next season hopefully will be - now we can all presumably agree there's nothing wrong with his contract.

How/where/when was he clearly blaming Uncs, by the way?

I may be wrong (hard to believe :-)) but on the goal his exasperation and arm movements seemed less like mea culpa and more like - what were you doing Uncs?

Or - maybe he had just heard that Chelsea's youth team had gone a goal behind.

Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhh

To be clear, I am no longer the anti-Chelsea nutter I used to be as a child, the Chelsea references for me are no different than if he had been on any named club's podcast calling them "we" whilst captain of QPR. I just don't think that's right, belittles us a club and I absolutely hate that with a passion, just like when GA kept on talking us down.
Begovic on 13:34 - Apr 10 with 1023 viewsstainrods_elbow

Begovic on 13:28 - Apr 10 by GaryBannister86

I may be wrong (hard to believe :-)) but on the goal his exasperation and arm movements seemed less like mea culpa and more like - what were you doing Uncs?

Or - maybe he had just heard that Chelsea's youth team had gone a goal behind.

Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaarrrggghhhhhhhh

To be clear, I am no longer the anti-Chelsea nutter I used to be as a child, the Chelsea references for me are no different than if he had been on any named club's podcast calling them "we" whilst captain of QPR. I just don't think that's right, belittles us a club and I absolutely hate that with a passion, just like when GA kept on talking us down.

Funnily enough, I read those arm gestures as him berating himself. In any event, it's clear, whatever his inadequacies, that one or two here just love to hate him whatever he does or doesn't do. If we still somehow sink, any sane fan will know the reasons lie elsewhere.

Begovic on 13:34 - Apr 10 with 1033 viewsQPROslo

Begovic on 10:41 - Apr 10 by DannyPaddox

People like slagging goalkeepers off. Seny, one of the best keepers I’ve seen at Loftus Road, was getting this treatment last season. Since then he’s had a great season for Boro, become a fan’s favourite, and is being courted by Premier League clubs.

Our current No.1 is not perfect but I’m still glad we’ve got Asmir Flapovic /Asmir Basic-Errorvic / Asmir Beggars-Beliefovic in goal. Damn this predictive text.

Only 4 more games you say?

That Keepers aren't allowed to make errors ought to be in the definition of Goal Keepers.
Begovic on 13:39 - Apr 10 with 1005 viewsLblock

Begovic on 13:25 - Apr 10 by stainrods_elbow

I was thinking it could have been good PR for him and for the club if they'd lined him up for a post-match interview and he'd held his hands up about the g . . . Doh.

If he'd held his hands up he'd of probably dropped the mic

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024