Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic 17:57 - Mar 9 with 61989 viewsE17hoop

I'm beginning to think maybe he isn't that great after all. Is it time for him to be dropped?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Begovic on 10:10 - Mar 10 with 2455 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic on 09:58 - Mar 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

So you're saying that there's no difference between being 1-0 and 2-0 down? That's an interesting take.

Tbf to Begovic, he kept the pigeons away better than Seny yesterday, so he's a decent scarecrow.

Well of course there’s a difference but in our position fighting relegation it’s minor: we won’t get relegated due to goal difference, it will be due to lack of points.
We needed the outfield players to score some goals to earn us points which they sadly failed to do yesterday so your agenda that Begovic was mainly responsible for the defeat is clearly wrong.
Begovic on 10:10 - Mar 10 with 2456 viewsmart_Goblin

Begovic on 19:25 - Mar 9 by richpr

So predictable. Usual LFW Begovic hate mob out in force.

Ok. You’re right .
He’s agile and on his toes and gets down really quickly and great with his feet and a great leader.
It’s so ridiculous of the vast majority to be so incorrect in their opinions.

Jeesh. Why do some people ignore what their eyes tell them and entrench themselves in some sort of loyal crusade?
I get it to a point . I feel a little ‘protective’ when I read criticism of say Chair for example . He’s our best player and I’m a huge fan but I can’t just ignore the fact that he holds on to the ball too long and needs to cross earlier and make better decisions. It’s those things that will stop him being a premier league player.

I’ve been shouting and hollering for months and months about Begovic not being willing or capable to join in possession of the ball outside of his box like every other keeper in the league so the team can push further up the pitch and the 2 Cb’s don’t have to sit just outside our box and pass a long the back 4. He could come fill that hole (like every other keeper) which means we get further forward .
The second goal yesterday is prime example to me that he’s not what he once was? As the guy heads it towards goal Begovic for a split second drops his hands which is rule number 1 for a keeper …keep them in front of you at chest height . That split second of lax preparation cost a goal . Because if his hands were where they should be he more than likely saves it .
I said in the match thread that the for the first goal I’m sure I heard someone shout “timber” as he went down to save it exactly like Watford’s first goal at home . Might be harsh and right in the corner but even if it weren’t he ain’t getting it . He’s to slow now .

But as some say here , he’s all we’ve got .
Walsh ain’t ready and I don’t think we will be afforded the luxury before the end of the season to put him in and give him match time before next season . Archer not in match day squads at all now so he is gone.
[Post edited 10 Mar 10:13]
Begovic on 10:16 - Mar 10 with 2410 viewsAgedR

He’s continues to be club captain, so obviously offers something at the training ground, etc.

I’ve always rated him and thought he was outstanding during his time at Stoke. But let’s face it now he is so bastxrd slow.

However, as has been said, he’s what we have so it’s not productive slagging him. That said, this is a fans website so you’d think debates about our team and players are it’s modus operandi.

For me we haven’t had a proper keeper since Smithies. He’s had quite a tale of misfortune since leaving us. A real shame.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Begovic on 10:26 - Mar 10 with 2350 viewsPaddyhoops

Begovic on 10:10 - Mar 10 by Ned_Kennedys

Well of course there’s a difference but in our position fighting relegation it’s minor: we won’t get relegated due to goal difference, it will be due to lack of points.
We needed the outfield players to score some goals to earn us points which they sadly failed to do yesterday so your agenda that Begovic was mainly responsible for the defeat is clearly wrong.

Nobody’s saying he was responsible for the defeat . You’re right , we wouldn’t have scored if we were there all night. Boro sussed us out early on and did a job on us . Main reason we may get relegated is Gareth was left in charge for too long however the availability of Marti was the main reason for that .
We’re all gutted about yesterday’s performance as it was a huge chance to put daylight between us and the rest . We didn’t take it .
The team have been doing well of late, particularly the defence .
We all to a certain degree look for a weak point in the recent improvements.
Begovich could have done better with the free kick at Leicester and possibly the two yesterday.
He’s done ok over his time here. He’s probably the best paid player here and his appearances on podcasts relating to Chelsea don’t particularly enamoure him to our support base.
Pretty sure the majority of people on here don’t hate him .
I certainly don’t but nobody is beyond criticism.
Begovic on 10:29 - Mar 10 with 2336 viewsRed_Ranger

Begovic on 08:16 - Mar 10 by Ned_Kennedys

Dieng is better than Begovic?

Well of course he is: you make it sound like we actually wanted to sell Seny. We had to due to him being one of our only players anyone would spend money on to help us scrape through FFP.

And the logic behind getting Begovic in to replace him made sense: free, relatively low wages, loads of experience in a defence which had very little at the time.

He has been alright this season overall for me: some big saves and some poor errors. He’s been fit for the whole campaign as well.

He doesn’t fit in with Marti’s preferred playing style and he will be replaced for next season and we move on.

all correct and well put.
sad but true.
Id take Seny back.
Has he been playing most games for boro?
Begovic on 10:31 - Mar 10 with 2327 viewsRed_Ranger

Begovic on 10:16 - Mar 10 by AgedR

He’s continues to be club captain, so obviously offers something at the training ground, etc.

I’ve always rated him and thought he was outstanding during his time at Stoke. But let’s face it now he is so bastxrd slow.

However, as has been said, he’s what we have so it’s not productive slagging him. That said, this is a fans website so you’d think debates about our team and players are it’s modus operandi.

For me we haven’t had a proper keeper since Smithies. He’s had quite a tale of misfortune since leaving us. A real shame.

Cant agree Seny was and is class.
Begovic on 11:31 - Mar 10 with 2226 viewsEsox_Lucius

Begovic on 10:31 - Mar 10 by Red_Ranger

Cant agree Seny was and is class.

As was Joe Lumley until the whack in the head at Villa. Up until then he really looked the part and was good with his feet.

The grass is always greener.

Begovic on 11:50 - Mar 10 with 2194 viewsCamberleyR

Begovic on 20:28 - Mar 9 by Ned_Kennedys

Well everyone seems to think Marti is a good manager so it’s telling that he has kept Begovic as captain. Don’t think Cook has ever been captain at any of his clubs by the way.

Cook was Bournemouth's captain in his last two seasons there.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/19571177.integral-steve-cook-continue-af

He also filled in a few times at Nottingham Forest.
https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/08/10/steve-cook-shares-his-three-favouri

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Begovic on 12:37 - Mar 10 with 2094 viewsYorkRanger

The Rotherham keeper would be a good summer hire or maybe Marti has his eye on someone in Denmark...
Begovic on 12:45 - Mar 10 with 2068 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Begovic on 10:10 - Mar 10 by Ned_Kennedys

I never said he was 'mainly responsible for the defeat'. I say he's a liability who is ill-suited to how we play, poor with his feet, doesn't command his area, slow to dive and now can't even be relied upon to make the most rudimentary saves. Apart from that, he's brilliant.
Begovic on 13:07 - Mar 10 with 2014 viewsgazza1

This is how good he is......he will not be here next season!!!!! despite many going well OTT,on this very message board, when he signed and despite that he had played about 3 games in 3 seasons. He is very poor and has cost us a lot of goals.
Begovic on 13:33 - Mar 10 with 1961 viewsParkRoyalR

Begovic on 11:50 - Mar 10 by CamberleyR

Cook was Bournemouth's captain in his last two seasons there.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/19571177.integral-steve-cook-continue-af

He also filled in a few times at Nottingham Forest.
https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/08/10/steve-cook-shares-his-three-favouri

So why in the name of God is he not our Captain!

Only reason I can think of is he can be a bit old school and overly critical of other players when things go wrong,

Even so, I always think an outfield Captain is a massive benefit for a team as Cook is likely best candidate over say Colback.
Begovic on 13:54 - Mar 10 with 1944 viewsPhilmyRs

Begovic on 13:33 - Mar 10 by ParkRoyalR

Only reason I can think of is he can be a bit old school and overly critical of other players when things go wrong,

Even so, I always think an outfield Captain is a massive benefit for a team as Cook is likely best candidate over say Colback.

There’s been minimal games this season where I’ve felt he’s saved a shot which not many other championship keepers would get, but there’s been a lot of games where he’s let in goals which the majority of keepers at our level would save. Simply put, he’s cost us more points than he’s won us. He won’t be with us next season.
Begovic on 15:06 - Mar 10 with 1870 viewsChrisNW6

4 pages of agreement that he's not good enough and will not be with us next season.......can we move on
[Post edited 10 Mar 15:06]
Begovic on 15:06 - Mar 10 with 1868 viewsmart_Goblin

Begovic on 13:33 - Mar 10 by ParkRoyalR

I think it was part of his contract negotiations to which GA etc would have done pretty much anything to get him into the building.
It also would explain why Cifuentes hasn’t change it, because he can’t.

He offers nothing in the way of leadership and for goal keeper, if anything he is quiet .
Begovic on 15:48 - Mar 10 with 1787 viewsChrisNW6

Begovic on 15:06 - Mar 10 by mart_Goblin

I think it was part of his contract negotiations to which GA etc would have done pretty much anything to get him into the building.
It also would explain why Cifuentes hasn’t change it, because he can’t.

He offers nothing in the way of leadership and for goal keeper, if anything he is quiet .

Probably because he was made captain before Cook arrived and Marti does not see it as an issue. Would potentially create more problems stripping the captaincy mid season. Cook is a leader on the pitch as we can all see, does it really matter who is wearing the armband.

We don't need anymore conspiracy theories, 32k a week contract which stipulates he is club captain + time off every Wednesday for his podcast and media work.
Begovic on 16:10 - Mar 10 with 1741 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic on 13:07 - Mar 10 by gazza1

This is how good he is......he will not be here next season!!!!! despite many going well OTT,on this very message board, when he signed and despite that he had played about 3 games in 3 seasons. He is very poor and has cost us a lot of goals.

Well done yes he won’t be here next season: he is only on a one year contract. He doesn’t fit Marti’s style of play and will be replaced regardless of how ‘good’ he’s been.

Literally nobody went ‘well OTT’ when we signed him apart from Gareth Ainsworth perhaps.
Begovic on 16:15 - Mar 10 with 1708 viewsParkRoyalR

Begovic on 15:48 - Mar 10 by ChrisNW6

Probably because he was made captain before Cook arrived and Marti does not see it as an issue. Would potentially create more problems stripping the captaincy mid season. Cook is a leader on the pitch as we can all see, does it really matter who is wearing the armband.

We don't need anymore conspiracy theories, 32k a week contract which stipulates he is club captain + time off every Wednesday for his podcast and media work.

Good points, I follow your logic,

I'm old school and like an outfield player as Captain who is close in thInking to his Manager as its not always effective with players running on with bits of paper and the Manager yelling from the dug-out, but a lot of modern Coaches seem to think this way.
Begovic on 17:23 - Mar 10 with 1587 viewsQPsyR

OK in the cold drizzily light of day sorry for talking rubbish

But let's be honest that Chelsea chap BurgerVan has more flaps than Fiona
[Post edited 10 Mar 17:24]

FKA AcidPixie

Begovic on 17:28 - Mar 10 with 1571 viewsEsox_Lucius

Begovic on 09:08 - Mar 10 by Rangers67

He is crap but he is not the only one. My nine month old grandson carries more threat than Dykes

No he doesn't, more hyperbolic reactionary tripe.

Begovic on 17:38 - Mar 10 with 1532 viewsRangers67

Begovic on 09:40 - Mar 10 by ParkRoyalR

Presume that's a typo and you meant Frey yesterday?

With 10 men defending their area after the 1st goal we just couldn't create enough in final third, similar to how we closed Leicester out with their 10 million pound strikers, let alone Smyth, Dykes + Armstrong.

No typo
Begovic on 17:48 - Mar 10 with 1507 viewsRangers67

Begovic on 17:28 - Mar 10 by Esox_Lucius

No he doesn't, more hyperbolic reactionary tripe.

Sorry to spoil your Dykes love in but me pushing around the penalty area in his pushchair offers more threat than your mate
Begovic on 18:10 - Mar 10 with 1453 viewsmart_Goblin

Begovic on 15:48 - Mar 10 by ChrisNW6

It’s not a conspiracy theory, it’s my opinion.
Was in the game once upon a time and know how some contracts work . Ainsworth literally made out we weren’t worthy to have his highness here .
I have stated on an other thread I’m not in the know and it’s my opinion through experience but I have more going on in my life to start conspiracy theories thanks .

However, you do make a good point that once he is made captain then stripping him of it could easily cause more harm than good.
As I also said before that I understand digging in and defending players you like etc. 3 or 4 weeks ago I was enraged at the way Cifuentes was criticised by Stainrod’s Elbow but actually his point was correct , maybe not the way he said it but he made a good point and MC can’t be and shouldn’t be beyond criticism when it’s due .

Whether people like it or not Begovic is making basic errors at times (not all the time) and fans are entitled to have an opinion on that . Dont agree with the abusive crap from 1 or 2 here like there was yesterday . I just couldn’t care less that he played for Chelsea , some of my favourite ever players have played for Chelsea too, Wilkins, Wilson, Wegerle, Wicks and anybody else becoming with W…..but you get my point .

My worry is the be careful what you wish for scenario as next season we could all be begging for someone as good as Begovic because we have no idea who will be in nets next season .
Begovic on 19:37 - Mar 10 with 1397 viewsderbyhoop

I've not been convinced by Begovic for some time. He doesnt move his feet quickly enough, his command of the box is inconsistent. I hope there are better keepers out there that we can recruit in the Summer, but it's too late to change, now. Even if we had a better option within the club.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Begovic on 19:49 - Mar 10 with 1371 viewsEsox_Lucius

Begovic on 17:48 - Mar 10 by Rangers67

Sorry to spoil your Dykes love in but me pushing around the penalty area in his pushchair offers more threat than your mate

You have no clue about football if believe that load of testes. Go and sleep it off.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024