Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep 07:35 - Apr 21 with 15773 viewshoops_legend

Now that we are all but safe - it’s important to look at next season

Personally I actually like and think most of our first team is good enough and passionate enough about QPR and with a summer of Martis coaching - will be a lot better next

Priority has to be keeping Chair, willock, JCS and Cook who personally I think are the key to next season, fantastic defensive pairing and also flair and creative play up top

We need two strikers however as we need to see more clinical finishing and I think depending on anderson we need to bolster our midfield a bit more

Also need a new keeper - begovic has been fine (bar the odd clanger) but time to move on (see Begovic thread!)

So what do we do to keep the above four and ensure we are competitive for play offs
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 18:17 - Apr 21 with 1986 viewsRangersw12

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 17:59 - Apr 21 by stainrods_elbow

The minoritarian voice of sanity! Some people follow QPR like they're playing Monopoly! I've been watching QPR for half a century and could count on the fingers of one hand when the club has sold high and fruitfully reinvested. Marsh outgoing and then Bowles, Thomas and Givens incoming; Tricky out and Sinton in; and then I'm struggling. Unless they want to leave or the EFL really is out to get us all over again, we need to keep Cook, Clarke-Salter, Chair, Willock and Hayden, and build around them. However, Paal is sellable, Armstrong screamingly loanable, Field replaceable (sorry, Sam), and Lyndon urgently exportable to Scotland.
[Post edited 21 Apr 18:00]

How many times do you need to be told !!! 🙄

We need to sell because of FFP !!!

It's not a choice but a nessacity
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:00 - Apr 21 with 1902 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 18:17 - Apr 21 by Rangersw12

How many times do you need to be told !!! 🙄

We need to sell because of FFP !!!

It's not a choice but a nessacity

Try going back to school and learning a bit of basic spelling, then you might have more credibility. Then you can get onto my counter-arguments, both here and those of a few self-selecting others, you patronising pillock.
[Post edited 21 Apr 19:03]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:11 - Apr 21 with 1902 viewsdaveB

I'd still happily say farewell to about half this squad but realistically that won't happen.
JCS has been outstanding but if we get a good bid for him we should take the money and use it to get in a replacement and sort the attacking side of the team out which is not great top say the least
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:36 - Apr 21 with 1849 viewsdmm

Players with expiring contracts this summer who I think are likely to be offered new contracts: Jimmy Dunne, Elijah Dixon-Bonner, Sinclair Armstrong, Charlie Kelman, Joe Walsh and Murphy Mahoney.

Players with expiring contracts this summer who I think are likely to depart: Asmir Begovic, Osman Kakay, Chris Willock, Jordan Archer, Albert Adomah, Aaron Drewe, Andre Dozzell, Stephen Duke-McKenna, Rafferty Pedder and Joe Gubbins.

Isaac Hayden and Joe Hodge loans come to an end this summer.

We don't really know whether we'll sell any players or not but Ilias Chair, Lyndon Dykes and Jake Clarke-Salter seem to get mentioned a fair bit.

And then there's Taylor Richards...

So it looks to me like we'll be seeing quite a lot of ins and outs in the coming months.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:51 - Apr 21 with 1806 viewsRangersw12

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:00 - Apr 21 by stainrods_elbow

Try going back to school and learning a bit of basic spelling, then you might have more credibility. Then you can get onto my counter-arguments, both here and those of a few self-selecting others, you patronising pillock.
[Post edited 21 Apr 19:03]

Ah just noticed that and it's very poor on my part 😂

Pretty easy to decipher what my point is though but as usual you come back with something you wouldn't dare to say in person 🙄

Happy to get the finger puppets out to explain FFP to you at the Leeds game if like and you can give me a crash course in spelling ?
[Post edited 21 Apr 20:10]
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:54 - Apr 21 with 1804 viewsloftboy

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:43 - Apr 21 by HammersmithR

I have heard Willock is staying and he’s signing a new contract should we stay up. But he needs to a lot more consistent.

Source?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 21:05 - Apr 21 with 1670 viewsLogman

The minoritarian voice of sanity! Some people follow QPR like they're playing Monopoly! I've been watching QPR for half a century and could count on the fingers of one hand when the club has sold high and fruitfully reinvested. Marsh outgoing and then Bowles, Thomas and Givens incoming; Tricky out and Sinton in; and then I'm struggling. Unless they want to leave or the EFL really is out to get us all over again, we need to keep Cook, Clarke-Salter, Chair, Willock and Hayden, and build around them. However, Paal is sellable, Armstrong screamingly loanable, Field replaceable (sorry, Sam), and Lyndon urgently exportable to Scotland.

So we are not very good at replacing good players but you would off-load Sam ?

The majoritarian voice of insanity
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 21:31 - Apr 21 with 1624 viewsed_83

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:01 - Apr 21 by hoops_legend

Never understand why fans obsess over us selling any players to get a bit of money in… honestly what is the point if as soon as anyone does alright we look at making a small profit. It just means we need to start again, make new purchases and it’s risky. Infact qpr are famously bad at buying players so Infact I would say it’s not worth it

We have players who fit in well and can do even better so let’s build team around then

It’s not a question of choice or ambition though, it’s financial reality. We’re losing £2m a month and barely able to meet FFP rules as it is. Even if the owners were happy to dump yet more of their money on a new striker without selling anyone first, the rules wouldn’t let them.

We’ve *just* done what you and others are saying we should do - kept a core group of players together rather than sell & reinvest - and it’s completely fcked us, bringing us to the brink of relegation and FFP breaches, with a squad of players who’ve been consistently godawful for all but the last four months. Meanwhile clubs like Brentford, Coventry, Brighton and countless others have left us in the dust by… scouting really well, selling players for big money, then reinvesting sensibly.

Of course it’s depressing to see good players leave, and of course for this model to work we have to make sure our scouting, coaching and development are working as well. But it’s the only way a club like us can ever properly punch above our weight.
Login to get fewer ads

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 21:38 - Apr 21 with 1608 viewsed_83

“Keep” Hayden? He’s not even our player! He’s got another two years left on his Newcastle contract, on Premier League wages. Where exactly are we finding the money for his contract and transfer fee, if the only players we’re selling are Paal and Dykes? Who’s buying those two anyway, after the seasons they’ve had? You’re living in a daydream, sorry.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 21:42 - Apr 21 with 1590 viewshoops_legend

Yes I 100% agree

When I think of us selling players at there prime…

I think of les Ferdinand which was the end of us as a regular premier league club

Then I reassure myself with the sale of Trevor Sinclair in exchange for Iain dowie and a fiver

So apologies to others for my scepticism when it’s comes to qpr selling their best players. Also, the FPP is a well known thing but im not sure even the rule setters fully understand it or regulate it properly.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:17 - Apr 21 with 1508 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Again, we're all talking about next season.

We're not safe yet and we're not done yet.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:39 - Apr 21 with 1448 viewsAntti_Heinola

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 21:42 - Apr 21 by hoops_legend

Yes I 100% agree

When I think of us selling players at there prime…

I think of les Ferdinand which was the end of us as a regular premier league club

Then I reassure myself with the sale of Trevor Sinclair in exchange for Iain dowie and a fiver

So apologies to others for my scepticism when it’s comes to qpr selling their best players. Also, the FPP is a well known thing but im not sure even the rule setters fully understand it or regulate it properly.

I'm not really sure what dealings done nearly 3 decades ago have to do with now?

People still I think have it slightly wrong about MW's final year. It was not a disastrous decision that year to push the boat out. We could afford it. That's why we did it. And it was working until late Feb. The mistake was that summer. When it didn't work, then we had to sell. But Beale told us not to. So we didn't. But to remain competitive we must be looking to sell our assets at their peak and replace with cheaper and keep improving. We did it badly with Les (who was irreplaceable anyway), but other clubs have shown more recently how to do it, and it can be done.

Bare bones.

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:52 - Apr 21 with 1427 viewsperpignanR

You’re a fraud son.This club has always sold players to survive and very successfully too. Alec Stock had to buy and sell simply too pay off the overdraft or the electric bill. We have not been good at it for the last 30 years. That’s the problem. A good offer comes in…..we sell .Its not difficult.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:54 - Apr 21 with 1404 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 21:38 - Apr 21 by ed_83

“Keep” Hayden? He’s not even our player! He’s got another two years left on his Newcastle contract, on Premier League wages. Where exactly are we finding the money for his contract and transfer fee, if the only players we’re selling are Paal and Dykes? Who’s buying those two anyway, after the seasons they’ve had? You’re living in a daydream, sorry.

Far point on Hayden, I suppose, though he's indicated he wants to stay, Newcastle could well come to a settlement with him on his contract, and no one knows the fiscal ins and outs anyway, including exactly where we are on FFP (which I don't suppose the EFL does either).

Of course, we could sell the guts of the team to the highest bidder, in all likelihood take a tumble into League One as a result, but, hey, we'd be able to pay the rates (probably).

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:55 - Apr 21 with 1397 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:51 - Apr 21 by Rangersw12

Ah just noticed that and it's very poor on my part 😂

Pretty easy to decipher what my point is though but as usual you come back with something you wouldn't dare to say in person 🙄

Happy to get the finger puppets out to explain FFP to you at the Leeds game if like and you can give me a crash course in spelling ?
[Post edited 21 Apr 20:10]

I'd say anything I write here to anyone on this board in person, so you're wrong there too.

Anyway, more important things to do . . .

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:57 - Apr 21 with 1385 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 21:05 - Apr 21 by Logman

So we are not very good at replacing good players but you would off-load Sam ?

The majoritarian voice of insanity

Laughable - it's an opinion, mate! Don't get me wrong, I like Sam, but he's not as good as people make out, and operates in a position where a number of players out there do a decent job. So, yes, if a good offer came in that suited both him and the club, I'd be OK with us considering it.

Hardly controversial, surely?

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 23:06 - Apr 21 with 1356 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:39 - Apr 21 by Antti_Heinola

I'm not really sure what dealings done nearly 3 decades ago have to do with now?

People still I think have it slightly wrong about MW's final year. It was not a disastrous decision that year to push the boat out. We could afford it. That's why we did it. And it was working until late Feb. The mistake was that summer. When it didn't work, then we had to sell. But Beale told us not to. So we didn't. But to remain competitive we must be looking to sell our assets at their peak and replace with cheaper and keep improving. We did it badly with Les (who was irreplaceable anyway), but other clubs have shown more recently how to do it, and it can be done.

Yes, but the likes of Brentford are the outliers, not the norm. Other crucial factors are good coaching, proper planning, the 'gel' factor, and a big dollop of opportunistic good luck. Unfortunately, Warbs proved he couldn't sustain his coaching over time, which was why the bottom fell out of his last season. It's incredibly hard to sell your best players, 'rinse and repeat' (a tedious cliche that makes me think of hair conditioner), and 'remain competitive'. (Incidentally, Gerry Francis agrees, and has said so several times, or do you and the other neoliberals on here want to tell him he's wrong too?)

Perhaps those who advocate a 'sell, sell, sell' policy for QPR could first identify players of the calibre of Willock, Chair and Clarke-Salter before recycling their smug, joyless and mainly monetarist 'telling it how it is' opinions, who would (i) come here, (ii) fall within our price range and (iii) improve (or at least not diminish) us. Then they might have a bit more credibility, even if they'd still be soulless pen-pushers.
[Post edited 21 Apr 23:11]

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 23:08 - Apr 21 with 1354 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:52 - Apr 21 by perpignanR

You’re a fraud son.This club has always sold players to survive and very successfully too. Alec Stock had to buy and sell simply too pay off the overdraft or the electric bill. We have not been good at it for the last 30 years. That’s the problem. A good offer comes in…..we sell .Its not difficult.

Laughable - you tell us it's something we've been good at, but then haven't managed to well for 30 years! Why not try reading your posts before you put them up?

If I'm a fraud (whatever the hell that means - I'm just a fan with passionate/irrational opinions like everyone else), you're more drunkenly equivocal than the Porter in Macbeth!

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:03 - Apr 22 with 1230 viewshoops_legend

Just one more thing to add here

We have the right manager in place right now and this is why I believe we need to keep our best players and have a go for it this next coming season

Let’s not waste this chance with Marti, otherwise he will go and then we will get mark hughes back
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:19 - Apr 22 with 1210 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:11 - Apr 21 by daveB

I'd still happily say farewell to about half this squad but realistically that won't happen.
JCS has been outstanding but if we get a good bid for him we should take the money and use it to get in a replacement and sort the attacking side of the team out which is not great top say the least

Absolutely. JCS's performances have changed so many of our minds this season but we can't hold onto players like him if we want to evolve. Sell big and sign a promising replacement must be the model.

Elsewhere, we need a new goalkeeper, a couple of strikers, a Hayden type in midfield (he's too expensive to keep), a playmaker in the centre and a winger with pace to replace BOS (Smyth is a decent sub). If Eze goes to City, that helps.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:48 - Apr 22 with 1187 viewsdmm

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:03 - Apr 22 by hoops_legend

Just one more thing to add here

We have the right manager in place right now and this is why I believe we need to keep our best players and have a go for it this next coming season

Let’s not waste this chance with Marti, otherwise he will go and then we will get mark hughes back

A fair point but the reverse could be argued that Cifuentes will want to bring in his players. The club will therefore need to raise a transfer fund and must sell a player or two to do that.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 08:36 - Apr 22 with 1120 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Edit. Postponed until we find out what division we're in next year.
[Post edited 22 Apr 8:45]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 09:04 - Apr 22 with 1040 viewsgazza1

1 - We have pretty much been a selling club since the 1960's, maybe earlier. Back then we were a small club playing in the 3rd division. If the right price came in then we would sell.
2 - Nothing has changed although we are a bigger club than the 1960's but we would still sell for the right price.
3 - All this talk about we need to sell our better players for FFP reasons, etc is something that I leave to the Club Financial guys - I just do not know the finances of the club. But I would not sell our better players if we do not need to and some of the players being mentioned are our better and most important players.
4 - I do not believe that MC will agree with selling some of these players mentioned and I am not sure that we will need to if SKY give us 'bundles'. MC will want to improve us - 100%, he aint going to sit around & watch us perform poorly.
5 - What does need to happen is to get rid of many of these so called youngsters who do not play 1st team football and stop flaffing around with them. We need to sell or release some of our 1st team players as well who just are not good enough.
6 - We then need to sign some 'proper' players (GK & Forwards) to push us forward. Our aim next season should be, and it is asking a lot, is to push for the play-off next season.
[Post edited 22 Apr 9:07]
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 09:40 - Apr 22 with 967 viewsAndybrat

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:36 - Apr 21 by dmm

Players with expiring contracts this summer who I think are likely to be offered new contracts: Jimmy Dunne, Elijah Dixon-Bonner, Sinclair Armstrong, Charlie Kelman, Joe Walsh and Murphy Mahoney.

Players with expiring contracts this summer who I think are likely to depart: Asmir Begovic, Osman Kakay, Chris Willock, Jordan Archer, Albert Adomah, Aaron Drewe, Andre Dozzell, Stephen Duke-McKenna, Rafferty Pedder and Joe Gubbins.

Isaac Hayden and Joe Hodge loans come to an end this summer.

We don't really know whether we'll sell any players or not but Ilias Chair, Lyndon Dykes and Jake Clarke-Salter seem to get mentioned a fair bit.

And then there's Taylor Richards...

So it looks to me like we'll be seeing quite a lot of ins and outs in the coming months.

Ever the optimist and assuming we don’t fall off a cliff with the worst set of results in the final 2 games. I am assuming Marti watches the development squad with interest, hoping Kolli fit at the start of the season ( what injury did he get?) and some others must be knocking on the door. I think this is where potentially Marti will shine. As I say ever the optimist but the development squad have an winning mentality and goals within them. Saw the note about Willock staying if we stay up, anyone know if that has any element of fact?
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 10:11 - Apr 22 with 886 viewsWatfordR

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 09:04 - Apr 22 by gazza1

1 - We have pretty much been a selling club since the 1960's, maybe earlier. Back then we were a small club playing in the 3rd division. If the right price came in then we would sell.
2 - Nothing has changed although we are a bigger club than the 1960's but we would still sell for the right price.
3 - All this talk about we need to sell our better players for FFP reasons, etc is something that I leave to the Club Financial guys - I just do not know the finances of the club. But I would not sell our better players if we do not need to and some of the players being mentioned are our better and most important players.
4 - I do not believe that MC will agree with selling some of these players mentioned and I am not sure that we will need to if SKY give us 'bundles'. MC will want to improve us - 100%, he aint going to sit around & watch us perform poorly.
5 - What does need to happen is to get rid of many of these so called youngsters who do not play 1st team football and stop flaffing around with them. We need to sell or release some of our 1st team players as well who just are not good enough.
6 - We then need to sign some 'proper' players (GK & Forwards) to push us forward. Our aim next season should be, and it is asking a lot, is to push for the play-off next season.
[Post edited 22 Apr 9:07]

On point 4, Sky won't just be giving us bundles, everyone else in the Championship will get bundles which you'd imagine might inflate prices and wage demands amongst Championship clubs and players.

I'd stand by the idea of selling JCS, Paal and Dykes. We should be able to replace JCS with plenty of change to spare, we have cover for Paal and we will be making a couple of strikers a priority, so imo we don't also need Dykes and Frey.

In the circumstances, I'd hope we are looking abroad for options, there is likely to be better value to be had. Anyone that comes in needs to be adding pace to the outfield first team, whatever the position they play, I wouldn't mind betting we are amongst the slowest teams in the Championship.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024