Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep 07:35 - Apr 21 with 15781 viewshoops_legend

Now that we are all but safe - it’s important to look at next season

Personally I actually like and think most of our first team is good enough and passionate enough about QPR and with a summer of Martis coaching - will be a lot better next

Priority has to be keeping Chair, willock, JCS and Cook who personally I think are the key to next season, fantastic defensive pairing and also flair and creative play up top

We need two strikers however as we need to see more clinical finishing and I think depending on anderson we need to bolster our midfield a bit more

Also need a new keeper - begovic has been fine (bar the odd clanger) but time to move on (see Begovic thread!)

So what do we do to keep the above four and ensure we are competitive for play offs
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 17:10 - Apr 24 with 2085 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 11:43 - Apr 24 by Stainrod

If you have a strategy for doing that, so keeping all our best players AND bringing in vital re-enforcements (especially a striker who actually scores goals - which has been beyond us budget and scouting wise for a decade) all whilst remaining in FFP budgets, then I'm all ears...

For the record, not sure that wanting to avoid another FFP fine makes anyone a "Neo-liberal" necessarily.

Sigh!

I said 'aim a little higher' not gamble everything 'shit or bust' style. It's a matter of balance (and how the unbalanced views here can force one into devil's advocacy to remind others there's an argument to be had). How many more times!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 17:14 - Apr 24 with 2099 viewsderbyhoop

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 08:06 - Apr 24 by Northernr

As said last week though, even with all these recent improvements under Cifuentes (and he has, undoubtedly, improved I agree) he's scored one goal in 22 games, that against Rotherham at home.

Willock's old man may be holding out for a move that gives his son big wages, but I can't see who is going to give him significantly more than us. Perhaps, there is somebody. I suspect they'll both need to be more realistic about his earning potential.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 18:49 - Apr 24 with 1958 viewsStainrod

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 17:10 - Apr 24 by stainrods_elbow

Sigh!

I said 'aim a little higher' not gamble everything 'shit or bust' style. It's a matter of balance (and how the unbalanced views here can force one into devil's advocacy to remind others there's an argument to be had). How many more times!

You do sound quite cross. A bit like someone orating in front of the mirror with lots of hand gestures before their first parish council meeting where they believe they have something very, very important to explain but are worried that the other villagers will just be too dim-witted to understand its magnitude or genius.

I only popped over from Fantasy Island for a gander but I seem to have stumbled into an after dinner debating society for rotarians (other posters excluded from this observation.)
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 18:53 - Apr 24 with 1948 viewsNed_Kennedys

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 17:14 - Apr 24 by derbyhoop

Willock's old man may be holding out for a move that gives his son big wages, but I can't see who is going to give him significantly more than us. Perhaps, there is somebody. I suspect they'll both need to be more realistic about his earning potential.

Don’t forget they will bank a large signing on fee on top of whatever wages they get as it would be a free transfer.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 20:15 - Apr 24 with 1826 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 18:49 - Apr 24 by Stainrod

You do sound quite cross. A bit like someone orating in front of the mirror with lots of hand gestures before their first parish council meeting where they believe they have something very, very important to explain but are worried that the other villagers will just be too dim-witted to understand its magnitude or genius.

I only popped over from Fantasy Island for a gander but I seem to have stumbled into an after dinner debating society for rotarians (other posters excluded from this observation.)

That's a lot of rather laborious/ad hominem interpretation of a single passing comment, but whatever floats your boat. After all, you're basically me without the elbow, so let's just agree to be brothers in arms, shall we. ;-)

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 23:53 - Apr 24 with 1722 viewsdannyblue

Regardless of which division we're in, it's all about selling JCS and Lyndon Dykes, and completely rebuilding the attack.

Attack: Willock, Chair, and Dykes have been the mainstays of an attack that has failed (3rd worst in the league), in a team that has been failing for the best part of two years.

I wouldn't offer Willock anything more than he's currently on, and would be reluctant to offer that. He'll go.
Dykes has 2 years left on his contract, but I'd accept anything anyone offered for him - there was promise for him once upon a time but I can't see it working out for him with us any more.
I'm very fond of Chair and he isn't marketable right now. His workrate and ability to hold and carry the ball might well be better employed in midfield.
Frey isn't up to it but can be let go easily I'm sure.
Armstrong hasn't signed a contract, I believe is out of contract this summer, and and hasn't improved as much as he should have. He's likely to go.
Smyth is fine in the kind of role he's been having.
Anderson has something despite patchy form, and Marti obviously likes him, and I imagine we'll keep him - because he's cheap, wants to be in London, and wants to prove himself.
Next season our attack pretty much starts from scratch.

Midfield: We're stuck with Colback for another year, we've got Sammy Field, and as above I think we might be better off considering Chair a midfielder. Dozell will be released, and who knows where he will end up - he was lucky to get the Birmingham job, but with Mowbray going he's been left out again - probably league 1. EDB is out of contract, and Marti doesn't seem to rate him much and he'll probably go - although I've personally had the sense that the rest of the team see something in him which says something about quality in training. Maybe Hayden has reasons for coming, and it's not an unfathomable deal. I expect to see Hayden join or another to replace him.

Defence: Cook and JCS have been great. But NOW IS THE TIME to sell JCS because he'll be at top value - good form, good pedigree, plenty of time left on the contract, still a marketable age. This time next year he would be approaching 28, only a year left, and could well have been injured for months. It's got to be this summer.
Dunne's only got his +1 year left on his contract. I don't think anyone's likely to sign him, and happy to have him stick around despite his massive poor patch.
Paal has another year and probably a +1 too, isn't obviously marketable and is good enough for our ambitions.
Cannon is an enigma. Good pedigree, but never really seemed to turn it on for us (injured?) and then consistently out of the team, but we gave him a 4 year contract. Seems unlikely anyone will take him so hope he comes good.
Shame about Ozzy, but he's obiously on hiw way out. With Fox and Larkeche as well, the business here is to sell JCS, replace him with someone much cheaper (if at all) and use the difference to fund the attack.

Goalkeeper: Begovich, Walsh, and Archer are all out of contract. Time for a new keeper, and I'm sure we can get a reasonable one plus backup (if none of the kids are good enough) for their wages combined.
[Post edited 25 Apr 0:08]
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:42 - Apr 25 with 1554 viewsQPR_Jim

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 23:53 - Apr 24 by dannyblue

Regardless of which division we're in, it's all about selling JCS and Lyndon Dykes, and completely rebuilding the attack.

Attack: Willock, Chair, and Dykes have been the mainstays of an attack that has failed (3rd worst in the league), in a team that has been failing for the best part of two years.

I wouldn't offer Willock anything more than he's currently on, and would be reluctant to offer that. He'll go.
Dykes has 2 years left on his contract, but I'd accept anything anyone offered for him - there was promise for him once upon a time but I can't see it working out for him with us any more.
I'm very fond of Chair and he isn't marketable right now. His workrate and ability to hold and carry the ball might well be better employed in midfield.
Armstrong hasn't signed a contract, I believe is out of contract this summer, and and hasn't improved as much as he should have. He's likely to go.
Anderson has something despite patchy form, and Marti obviously likes him, and I imagine we'll keep him - because he's cheap, wants to be in London, and wants to prove himself.

Midfield: We're stuck with Colback for another year, we've got Sammy Field, and as above I think we might be better off considering Chair a midfielder. Dozell will be released, and who knows where he will end up - he was lucky to get the Birmingham job, but with Mowbray going he's been left out again - probably league 1. EDB is out of contract, and Marti doesn't seem to rate him much and he'll probably go - although I've personally had the sense that the rest of the team see something in him which says something about quality in training. Maybe Hayden has reasons for coming, and it's not an unfathomable deal. I expect to see Hayden join or another to replace him.

Defence: Cook and JCS have been great. But NOW IS THE TIME to sell JCS because he'll be at top value - good form, good pedigree, plenty of time left on the contract, still a marketable age. This time next year he would be approaching 28, only a year left, and could well have been injured for months. It's got to be this summer.
Dunne's only got his +1 year left on his contract. I don't think anyone's likely to sign him, and happy to have him stick around despite his massive poor patch.
Paal has another year and probably a +1 too, isn't obviously marketable and is good enough for our ambitions.
Cannon is an enigma. Good pedigree, but never really seemed to turn it on for us (injured?) and then consistently out of the team, but we gave him a 4 year contract. Seems unlikely anyone will take him so hope he comes good.
Shame about Ozzy, but he's obiously on hiw way out. With Fox and Larkeche as well, the business here is to sell JCS, replace him with someone much cheaper (if at all) and use the difference to fund the attack.

Goalkeeper: Begovich, Walsh, and Archer are all out of contract. Time for a new keeper, and I'm sure we can get a reasonable one plus backup (if none of the kids are good enough) for their wages combined.

Seems fair. I try to think "would our players get in a decent championship teams starting lineup?" For our attack it's a universal no. Dykes definitely not, Chair and Willock maybe but one's almost certainly off and the other has a court case over his head.

The only player I think would make it as a yes would be JCS, so he'd be hardest to replace but possibly bring in the most money to rebuild. As you say his injury record suggests that taking the risk on keeping him could be rewarded with only a handful of appearances if they recur, so after his first good season of appearances might be a good time to cash in.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:47 - Apr 25 with 1549 viewsNorthernr

Pretty much where I am as well, except I think Armstrong will stay and may have already signed.
Login to get fewer ads

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 11:51 - Apr 25 with 1344 viewsParkRoyalR

Good post, agree with most, not all,

Just really depends on Cifuentes preferred formation and attacking style of play which I have'nt really been able to work out yet,

Going without saying the absence of a fully fit Chris Willock has blunted our attacking play this season and have mentioned before we need to re-position Chair if we're ever to see him hit the numbers he should be,

I'd risk selling JCS and Paal as believe Dunne & Larkeche can adequately replace, big question for this summer is to either re-position or sell Chair.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:13 - Apr 25 with 1256 viewsstainrods_elbow

Some decent comment there, topped off with a dollop of suicidal folly. Selling JCS without even replacing him with anyone would be utter madness, given that it's blindingly obvious his partnership with Cook has been the main base and wellspring of our Marti-led resurrection. I would definitely keep them together (and promote Cook to captain) if we want to try to do anything next year. You also seem to have this weird idea of selling him 'pre-emptively' because he might be injured next year. Unless you have some kind of Champ-tuned crystal ball, I'd call that crystal bollocks, sir.

Your remarks about Willock, while perhaps somewhat understandable to many of us given everyone's frustrations with him at various times, strike me as quite sour. If you'd even begrudge him a new contract on his existing terms, then essentially you'd be forcing him (and any player) out. He has his flaws and failings for sure, but I think there have been real signs of late that the old Willock might in decent flashes now be back. If he has 100% buy-in for next season, and Marti feels he can trust him, he should stay on similar terms at least if he'll accept them.

Chair's season has blown hot and cold, and this flummoxing legal case surely now needs to be resolved. For me, re his best position, he has always been a marauding number 10, playing just behind the attack. Part of the problem is that, because we haven't actually had an attack worthy of the name this season, he's been over-stressed and over-elaborating and pulled here, there and everywhere. With a more defined role, and more astute selflessness, he's a real asset at this level. What worries me about him is, I suspect, like Adel and like Stan, he's not very coachable.

I still think, or want to think, that Armstrong could come good (or at least better), but Marti and everyone need to understand he is NOT (and I think never will be) a centre forward, but a WINGER, and needs to be developed as one. If we keep trying to force him to be our non-scoring, free-fouling no.9, he'll just get more and more frustrated. His strengths are stretching and frightening full backs, using his pace, skinning his man, and crossing or cutting in. A sound loan in that vein for half a season at least could really help bring him on.

Not quite sure why you feel we're 'stuck with' Colback, when he's been a big part of our reawakening after an admittedly dubious, fitful and fretful start. (Ditto your mealy-mouthed words about Dunne, who's by common consent been terrific in recent games as a converted right-back.) Was MOTM for me against Preston, and he's been a tenacious asset in other games too, despite his bookability. With a bit more quality around him, he has at a decent year or two left in him at this level, I think. No issues with his contract at all, therefore.

Andersen is, as you say, a bit of a riddle - he floats like a butterfly, and more often than not stings like one. But he has a languid quality with a footballing brain, will get fitter, and no one is likely to whisk him away anyway as he's only been here five minutes. Just how influential he can be with a run of games next year only he and Marti will know, but we at least want to find out.

Cannon is less of an enigma, more annoyingly underwhelming and apparently injury-prone. Even turning himself into a loose cannon would be an improvement. Needs to show some (cannon)balls, light a fuse or two, and if he can't, be shipped back to the US.

I'm not in with the hate for Bergovic, however hard he is to love, but his age is clearly against him, and we need to hunt for a good, up-and-coming, talkative stopper (without Chelscum links), and get him off the wage bill.

I know this will upset many, but Field I would also entertain bids on, as i think he's one of our more replaceable assets. I assume he wants to stay, but I would take £3m for sure, as long as (most of) it was sensibly reinvested.

Paal is ultimately not good enough for me, flatters to deceive, and was at sixes and sevens both defensively and offensively against Preston, and if he can't/won't improve, could and I suspect should be replaced, though I think we should also look at our own squad first, e.g. Larkeche, if so.

The biggest need this summer is to get Dykes off the books for as much as we can claw back for him. He's a Scottish international, and should command a fee of at least 3m, even with his low goal tally, and surely he'd be happy with a move back to the Scottish Prem. Kolli then needs to compete for his jersey with at least one, and probably two, incoming strikers. (I don't see Frey, on the basis of what he's (not) shown already, as being part of the picture.)

Apologies for/to anyone I've missed!
[Post edited 25 Apr 13:28]

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 13:42 - Apr 25 with 1214 viewsPhilmyRs

Good post.

JCS I'm not sure on. Ordinarily, 2 years with us, showing what he can do, great time to sell at the end of that, but last season he was basically injured the whole time and this is the first full year we've had with him. With reasonable chances of getting some cash as part of the Eze deal, possibly getting something for Chair (court proceedings dependent) and Dykes fetching something, plus releasing a lot of players, we may not be in a situation where we need to sell JCS and we should have some funds to rebuild and JCS and Cook could form a key spine for us next season. That said, everyone has a price so if we were offered really good money, we should definitely deal, but I just think he won't regress like a Dickie did because playing wise, it's still early days in terms of games played and he'll still be marketable at the end of next season. I know recent experiences have damaged us in terms of not selling players at the optimum time, I'm just not sure this is the optimum time for JCS to leave.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:13 - Apr 25 with 1150 viewsTheChef

Don't quite understand some fans writing off Frey.

Obviously he's struggled with fitness, may not be the most athletic but I reckon has shown a lot more striker's instinct than Dykes.

Fine don't renew if we think we can find/afford better but with a full pre-season and getting back to fitness, he could be useful next season.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:36 - Apr 25 with 1098 viewsdmm

The thing with Frey is, we don't know how long his contract is.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:10 - Apr 25 with 1019 viewsdannyblue

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:13 - Apr 25 by stainrods_elbow

Some decent comment there, topped off with a dollop of suicidal folly. Selling JCS without even replacing him with anyone would be utter madness, given that it's blindingly obvious his partnership with Cook has been the main base and wellspring of our Marti-led resurrection. I would definitely keep them together (and promote Cook to captain) if we want to try to do anything next year. You also seem to have this weird idea of selling him 'pre-emptively' because he might be injured next year. Unless you have some kind of Champ-tuned crystal ball, I'd call that crystal bollocks, sir.

Your remarks about Willock, while perhaps somewhat understandable to many of us given everyone's frustrations with him at various times, strike me as quite sour. If you'd even begrudge him a new contract on his existing terms, then essentially you'd be forcing him (and any player) out. He has his flaws and failings for sure, but I think there have been real signs of late that the old Willock might in decent flashes now be back. If he has 100% buy-in for next season, and Marti feels he can trust him, he should stay on similar terms at least if he'll accept them.

Chair's season has blown hot and cold, and this flummoxing legal case surely now needs to be resolved. For me, re his best position, he has always been a marauding number 10, playing just behind the attack. Part of the problem is that, because we haven't actually had an attack worthy of the name this season, he's been over-stressed and over-elaborating and pulled here, there and everywhere. With a more defined role, and more astute selflessness, he's a real asset at this level. What worries me about him is, I suspect, like Adel and like Stan, he's not very coachable.

I still think, or want to think, that Armstrong could come good (or at least better), but Marti and everyone need to understand he is NOT (and I think never will be) a centre forward, but a WINGER, and needs to be developed as one. If we keep trying to force him to be our non-scoring, free-fouling no.9, he'll just get more and more frustrated. His strengths are stretching and frightening full backs, using his pace, skinning his man, and crossing or cutting in. A sound loan in that vein for half a season at least could really help bring him on.

Not quite sure why you feel we're 'stuck with' Colback, when he's been a big part of our reawakening after an admittedly dubious, fitful and fretful start. (Ditto your mealy-mouthed words about Dunne, who's by common consent been terrific in recent games as a converted right-back.) Was MOTM for me against Preston, and he's been a tenacious asset in other games too, despite his bookability. With a bit more quality around him, he has at a decent year or two left in him at this level, I think. No issues with his contract at all, therefore.

Andersen is, as you say, a bit of a riddle - he floats like a butterfly, and more often than not stings like one. But he has a languid quality with a footballing brain, will get fitter, and no one is likely to whisk him away anyway as he's only been here five minutes. Just how influential he can be with a run of games next year only he and Marti will know, but we at least want to find out.

Cannon is less of an enigma, more annoyingly underwhelming and apparently injury-prone. Even turning himself into a loose cannon would be an improvement. Needs to show some (cannon)balls, light a fuse or two, and if he can't, be shipped back to the US.

I'm not in with the hate for Bergovic, however hard he is to love, but his age is clearly against him, and we need to hunt for a good, up-and-coming, talkative stopper (without Chelscum links), and get him off the wage bill.

I know this will upset many, but Field I would also entertain bids on, as i think he's one of our more replaceable assets. I assume he wants to stay, but I would take £3m for sure, as long as (most of) it was sensibly reinvested.

Paal is ultimately not good enough for me, flatters to deceive, and was at sixes and sevens both defensively and offensively against Preston, and if he can't/won't improve, could and I suspect should be replaced, though I think we should also look at our own squad first, e.g. Larkeche, if so.

The biggest need this summer is to get Dykes off the books for as much as we can claw back for him. He's a Scottish international, and should command a fee of at least 3m, even with his low goal tally, and surely he'd be happy with a move back to the Scottish Prem. Kolli then needs to compete for his jersey with at least one, and probably two, incoming strikers. (I don't see Frey, on the basis of what he's (not) shown already, as being part of the picture.)

Willock was part of the third worst (i.e., relegation standard) strike force in the division both last season and this season. Yes of course he has his moments, but it ain't working. If your ifs turned out all positively, then yes, he's good, but those are a lot of ifs. The same can be levelled at Chair, but he's not out of contract, nobody's likely to buy him, and I think he can be used elsewhere.

I agree about Cook as a captain and Armstrong as a winger. And if he has signed a new contract as Clive says, then I'm not upset about it.

In an ideal world I'd love to keep JCS, he's been a revelation - part of the 10th best defence in the division. But he's the player that we can sell, who's at the top of his value which is likely to decline from here, that can fund all the other squad work we need to do.

Dunne has been terrible and decent. And he's not going anywhere. So he'll form part of the squad I'm sure.

Colback has played at a better level than us most of his career it's true, but hasn't really looked that interested to me apart from in getting bookings. I'd hope we could do better if we were able to release, but we can't, so he'll do for next year.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:11 - Apr 25 with 1018 viewsNorthernr

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:10 - Apr 25 by dannyblue

Willock was part of the third worst (i.e., relegation standard) strike force in the division both last season and this season. Yes of course he has his moments, but it ain't working. If your ifs turned out all positively, then yes, he's good, but those are a lot of ifs. The same can be levelled at Chair, but he's not out of contract, nobody's likely to buy him, and I think he can be used elsewhere.

I agree about Cook as a captain and Armstrong as a winger. And if he has signed a new contract as Clive says, then I'm not upset about it.

In an ideal world I'd love to keep JCS, he's been a revelation - part of the 10th best defence in the division. But he's the player that we can sell, who's at the top of his value which is likely to decline from here, that can fund all the other squad work we need to do.

Dunne has been terrible and decent. And he's not going anywhere. So he'll form part of the squad I'm sure.

Colback has played at a better level than us most of his career it's true, but hasn't really looked that interested to me apart from in getting bookings. I'd hope we could do better if we were able to release, but we can't, so he'll do for next year.

On Armstrong, I'm literally basing it on something his agent posted on Instagram, no inside gen on this one.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 15:20 - Apr 25 with 1005 viewskensalriser

The sick note narrative for JCS is overstated and weakening with every game he plays. Field had similar issues when he joined but has been ever present since the start of last season.

Isn't Chair a midfielder? I've always regarded him as such and he's listed as a midfielder everywhere you look.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 15:39 - Apr 25 with 972 viewsdmm

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 15:20 - Apr 25 by kensalriser

The sick note narrative for JCS is overstated and weakening with every game he plays. Field had similar issues when he joined but has been ever present since the start of last season.

Isn't Chair a midfielder? I've always regarded him as such and he's listed as a midfielder everywhere you look.

These days the term midfielder is a very broad one.

You've got your 10, 8 and 6; ACM and DCM; winger, LM and RM. They're all midfielders. Did I miss any out?
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:06 - Apr 25 with 906 viewsNed_Kennedys

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:36 - Apr 25 by dmm

Possibly linked to us staying up: could be until the summer with an extra year if we don’t get relegated.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:07 - Apr 25 with 902 viewskensalriser

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 15:39 - Apr 25 by dmm

These days the term midfielder is a very broad one.

You've got your 10, 8 and 6; ACM and DCM; winger, LM and RM. They're all midfielders. Did I miss any out?

Inside right, inside left and the Danish JC?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:30 - Apr 25 with 858 viewslassel

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:36 - Apr 25 by dmm

From what I understand he had a KPI related option for a lucrative second season that has been met and so will be around next year.

My expectation is that Dykes and Willock will go and possibly even Armstrong will join Kolli out on loan. Wouldn’t be surprised if we are looking around London for a couple of young strikers on loan for the season.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:33 - Apr 25 with 847 viewsNed_Kennedys

If we get a good offer for JCS then of course we sell: we need at least one big money sale each year to deal with FFP. Amazed that some keep forgetting or ignoring this.

We have Cook for at least another year and he would be ideal to play next to a younger new signing to replace JCS and mentor them. Would suggest finding an up and coming central defender will cheaper than any other outfield position as well.

Would also sell Chair but this doesn’t look like it’s going to happen due to his outstanding criminal case.

Kolli when fit needs to be loaned out next season assuming we stay up.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:39 - Apr 25 with 805 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:30 - Apr 25 by lassel

From what I understand he had a KPI related option for a lucrative second season that has been met and so will be around next year.

My expectation is that Dykes and Willock will go and possibly even Armstrong will join Kolli out on loan. Wouldn’t be surprised if we are looking around London for a couple of young strikers on loan for the season.

Good Christ, who set the KPI's? His Mum? :)

He's scored one goal, moved like molasses and couldn't get into a dreadful attack.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:50 - Apr 25 with 775 viewsstainrods_elbow

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:39 - Apr 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Good Christ, who set the KPI's? His Mum? :)

He's scored one goal, moved like molasses and couldn't get into a dreadful attack.

I don't want a loaned-in strikeforce any more. Assuming we're institutionally incapable as a club of bringing through a single credible Championship forward, we need to buy at least two and quite possibly three strikers (especially if one or more of Armstrong, Frey and Kolli leave/go out on loan) we can bed in and make ours for the foreseeable. No more excuses. This is supposed to be a professional football club, not the f*cking Cub Scouts.

PS Could the usual suspects please give up with their relentlessly dualistic/black and white 'sell everyone and somehow improve' vs 'fail/forget about FFP' polemics. No one, whatever appearances, fantasies or reputations may seem to argue to the contrary, is talking about the club bankrupting itself, obviously. It's about finding a third way between the devil and the deep blue sea, a lot of which is a matter of OPINION about players and transfers! That's right, OPINION! Some people can think me reckless or romantic at times if it helps them to feel better, and that's fine by me if adds fuel to the fire, but the (usually ill-informed and at best speculative) self-righteousness and dogmatics of some posters on the topic is imo worse.
[Post edited 25 Apr 16:52]

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:08 - Apr 25 with 727 viewsstainrods_elbow

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:10 - Apr 25 by dannyblue

You under-rate Colback imo, and also should give Dunne more credit for reinventing himself at right-back than criticism for being part of a basket-case of a team before Marti found the right berth for him, gave him the confidence to perform, and he did the rest.

As for JCS, I rest my case. You yourself acknowledge he's been part of a very good defence, so in footballing terms, moving him out would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, me old china. Or, to vary the metaphor, anything we may gain on the roundabouts (which I wouldn't be holding my breath about), we'll most emphatically lose on the swings. Even if we can somehow unearth one or two decent goalscorers, it's all the more important to keep and build on our defensive base. I'd far sooner sell one or more Paal, Field and Dykes if we can (and even all three), and then we definitely wouldn't need to offload JCS anyway.

You might be right that Willock, despite his improvements, hasn't done enough and isn't consistent enough to persuade Marti to keep him at all costs, or any costs, though I still want him to stay and shine with an electric Chair. It wasn't more than a year or two back that he was looking like the best in the Champ in his position under Warburton before the manager lost his mojo.

In the end, it'll be down to Marti and the Board, of course, as to what they think we need and can afford. In any event, whoever does or doesn't go out, I think we'll need a minimum of 5-6 new players: an upwardly mobile (or just mobile) goalkeeper, a goalscoring midfielder, a terrier-cum-enforcer (for when Colback is injured/ineligible), a winger upgrade on Smyth, and two goalscorers. Anything less than that little lot and we'll be treading water at best, if not taking it onboard.
[Post edited 25 Apr 17:11]

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:44 - Apr 25 with 675 viewsderbyhoop

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:13 - Apr 25 by stainrods_elbow

If you think anybody is going to pay anywhere near £3m for Dykes, I'd find some weaker drugs. If you think a buying club from Scotland, except Celtic, are going to pay anywhere near that, then you need locking up for your own safety.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024