Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco 17:55 - May 8 with 835 viewsEastR

Travelling to SF and Palo Alto next week for work will have a bit of free time in between looking for any recommendations from the knowledgeable LFW travel guides.

Thanks in advance

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 18:20 - May 8 with 792 viewsstowmarketrange

I had a 5 hour layover in SF last year on the way home from Auckland,but I didn’t get to see much in that time.We were quoted US$150 for a return trip over the Golden Gate Bridge,which didn’t seem worth it for only 2 of us.And neither of us had any cash for the trains and we couldn’t get the ticket machines to accept our credit cards.
I did take a photo of the freeway road sign though,so I do know the way to San Jose.
LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 18:23 - May 8 with 784 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Great place, but not been for a few years to be able to recommend places. But nightlife was buzzing the times I went.

Not sure how much time you've got, but I'd recommend you go to Alcatraz.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 18:58 - May 8 with 717 viewsEastR

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 18:23 - May 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Great place, but not been for a few years to be able to recommend places. But nightlife was buzzing the times I went.

Not sure how much time you've got, but I'd recommend you go to Alcatraz.

Great shout. I'll remember to pack the get of jail free card!

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco (n/t) on 19:21 - May 8 with 690 viewsdezzar

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 19:30 - May 8 with 671 viewsdsw2509

Alcatraz is hard to get tickets for. Book in advance. Take a boat ride out to the Golden Gate. It’s just great. If you have time go to Sausalito.
LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 19:31 - May 8 with 666 viewsWirralHoop

100% Alcatraz. I didn’t go over the Golden Gate but not like you can miss it.
Saw Golden State Warriors to this was back in 2012 they had some kid called Curry playing.

The whole city just captured my imagination from Lombard Street to Cable Cars, Sealions at Pier 39 to Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, just an amazing vibe I loved it.

Must go back, I’ve also been to LA definitely no desire to go there.
LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 20:14 - May 8 with 623 viewsblavod

Coit Tower - good views over the bay
Union Square - watch the trams from the restaurant on the top floor of Macy's
Keep away from Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 - super touristy
Try neighborhoods like Chinatown, Mission and Castro
Good views of the bridge from Crissy Field
LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 20:22 - May 8 with 594 viewsKiwi76

Just there last month & from media reports thought we were headed to disaster zone of homeless & drug addicts etc. Pleased to say while we saw glimpses it was way exaggerated & we loved our 3-4 days. Fine day definitely do harbour under Golden Gate & Alcatraz was worth the visit.
We also did a SF Love Tour which is a couple of hours in a VW Combi van seeing the city - excellent guide & great way to see different districts to go back to. Did a walking food tour of Mission District & that’s another good way to see city - some excellent graffiti art & can see impact of tech money as walk a few blocks - gentrification at pace. Enjoy
Login to get fewer ads

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 20:32 - May 8 with 574 viewsBlackCrowe

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 20:14 - May 8 by blavod

Coit Tower - good views over the bay
Union Square - watch the trams from the restaurant on the top floor of Macy's
Keep away from Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 - super touristy
Try neighborhoods like Chinatown, Mission and Castro
Good views of the bridge from Crissy Field

Gosh so many recs...where to start.

So as others have said Alcatraz is great..worth doing but need to book up in advance.

Daytime stuff to do....have a wander round Haight Ashbury and hire a couple of ebikes there and cycle into Golden Gate park and out the other side to the most wonderful stretch of ocean.

Also get over to Sausalito for lunch, pretty upscale coastal town with shops, cafes and restaurants...either by e-bike (across Golden Gate bridge) or by ferry.

Evening..my favourite area is North Beach, buzzing with bars and restaurant (amazing pizza at Tony's, amazing Mexican at Don Pistos). You absolutely must end the evening at The Saloon...a dirty old cash-only bar, with live music, full of characters and atmosphere...completely safe but a proper dive.

Oh and the best ribs i've ever had are at Hillstone Restaurant on Embercardo. Not especially cheap...but fck worth it imo.

Also check out the Fillmore Street district - very Notting Hill with the legendary gig venue Fillmore Auditorium (check out whose playing)

To avoid. Union Square...gone so downhill in the past 10 years, huge homeless problem mixed with fent and all that nasty stuff.

Pier 39 is a big tourist destination and full of tackiness and crap restaurants. After 20 mins there, couldn't wait to get the hell out.

Have fun.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 20:41 - May 8 with 554 viewseghamranger

I was there in March for a few days, my family live there so we go every few years.
Alcatraz is great, but certainly pre book. Sausalito is a lovely place to visit as is Tiburon, you get the boats there from the ferry building.
Ghirardelli square is a nice place to visit and has a great restaurant there where you look over the bay, they do great chocolate there.
The cable cars are great, easier to buy a day ticket ( $13 dollars I think). Stop off at the cable car museum, which is free to see how they work.
Lombard street, coit tower and the sea lions at fisherman’s wharf for photos.
Lovely hot chocolate and cakes at boudin’s along the front of fishermans wharf.
There is a bar/restaurant called Fog Harbour at Pier 39 upstairs. Does a 2 hour happy hour and does some really nice beers.
Best place for breakfast is the Hollywood cafe, does proper pancakes!
There is homeless people there, like in every big city, and there are more in the union square area. The area which has a bad name is the tenderloin area.
It can be really busy and is touristy and expensive, but no different than Covent Garden or places in London.
LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 21:37 - May 8 with 496 viewsTomS

Other than what's been recommended already.

Go beyond Sausalito to a redwood forest, just to experience seeing sequoia trees in real life.

Go to a baseball match, either the Giants or the Oakland A's.

If you have a day to spare, go north to Napa or Sonoma and visit a winery or two. The restaurants are great there too.

Enjoy the trip.
LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 21:41 - May 8 with 490 viewsBlackCrowe

I would absolutely endorse this...the forest is amazing and Giants stadium off the scale amazing on the edge of ocean.

And if you can get up to Sonoma county for wine tasting...it's lush, make sure you book a table at The Girl And Fig.
[Post edited 8 May 22:00]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

LFW Trip Advisory- San Francisco on 23:27 - May 8 with 416 viewscolinallcars

I left my heart there. Also be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.
Time I went to bed….
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024