Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? 21:27 - Nov 19 with 2369 viewsChinajohn

Bored sh1tless reading about Hughes' movements! So can someone please advise whether me and Mrs China should buy a Plasma or LED TV to watch our our impending relegation?

Also are these SMART TV's any good?

Thanks (xie xie!)
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 21:46 - Nov 19 with 2349 viewsJuzzie

From what little I know, Plasma's are good if you watch a lot of movies but can be a bit noisier and use more electricity than LED's. I think they have a slightly shorter life span too.

If you're just watching general all-round TV, then LED's are fine.

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 21:48 - Nov 19 with 2333 viewswestberksr

I prefer Plasma as they tend to have ok speakers due to the slightly larger casing for the screen having room; whereas the LED's are so skinny you need extra soundbar or external speakers as the built ins are worse than Hughes (sorry, had to mention him!)

also go for Panasonic, as they don't sponsor the scum (and are very good). can't advise on smart thingy as I'm just starting to look into that now as having stuck the 42" tv on the wall I've decided it's too small and needs to be upgraded to something beginning with a 50" i suspect.
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 21:50 - Nov 19 with 2328 viewsKerryE

My advice, buy a decent book instead.....MH should have a biography out soon
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 22:03 - Nov 19 with 2309 viewsqprwpg

I'd go for LED, even for a home theater system. The speakers are sh*t, so if you want to have decent sound, you'll have to get amp & speakers (whole diff topic), but for normal TV watching is good enough. The picture quality and low power consumption is worth it, IMO.

Twitter: @qprwpg

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 22:21 - Nov 19 with 2294 viewsBrazilNutR

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 22:03 - Nov 19 by qprwpg

I'd go for LED, even for a home theater system. The speakers are sh*t, so if you want to have decent sound, you'll have to get amp & speakers (whole diff topic), but for normal TV watching is good enough. The picture quality and low power consumption is worth it, IMO.

I understood that plasmas were good if your getting a mammoth size...but at regular sizes are not recomended... can't remember what the size cut off was...but 40" + i seem to recall reading....that was a few years back when i bought my 32" LED anyhow
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 22:31 - Nov 19 with 2286 viewsMelakaRanger

After weeks of research I went for LED

I have a 55 inch Samsung 'Smart' LED ultra slim TV. It is unbelievably slim

Its is the dogs boll=cks!

So good that I replaced my other Toshiba LCD in the kitchen with another ultra slim Samsung.

Go take a look at them, I am sure you will be impressed
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 23:17 - Nov 19 with 2272 viewsthame_hoops

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 22:31 - Nov 19 by MelakaRanger

After weeks of research I went for LED

I have a 55 inch Samsung 'Smart' LED ultra slim TV. It is unbelievably slim

Its is the dogs boll=cks!

So good that I replaced my other Toshiba LCD in the kitchen with another ultra slim Samsung.

Go take a look at them, I am sure you will be impressed

Also bought a Samsung led backlight 2 years ago, slim, picture is amazing, on some films it is crystal clear and people who come in the house always comment on the picture. Thought plasma was old hat?
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 08:27 - Nov 20 with 2219 viewsMelakaRanger

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 23:17 - Nov 19 by thame_hoops

Also bought a Samsung led backlight 2 years ago, slim, picture is amazing, on some films it is crystal clear and people who come in the house always comment on the picture. Thought plasma was old hat?

Oh and yes, if you want to listen to surround sound link the Samsung to a decent Blu ray system.
Login to get fewer ads

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 08:42 - Nov 20 with 2206 viewsToast_R

I bought a Samsung LED 46 Inch Smart 3D Ultra Slim in June.

The picture in HD is the nuts and the Sound is really good without needing a Cinema System to go with it.

However I already had a Sony Cinema system with my previous Bravia TV which I now use on the Samsung. The Samsung syncs better with it then the Sony Bravia ever did and overall the sound quality is mind blowing. I'm happy with it and don't regret spending the money at all.

My advice... Get a Samsung LED SMART, they are superb TV's.
If you have Virgin Media, you probably dont need a SMART tv as most the apps on there are what Virgin have anyway but getting the settings right, SMART does this online for you which is a great touch.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 08:46 - Nov 20 with 2191 viewsMelakaRanger

Sounds like most all of us agree

Get a Samsung LED slimline - the bigger screen the better:):)
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 08:53 - Nov 20 with 2186 viewsdanehoop

Morning John.

Samsung UE40ES6710

http://www.johnlewis.com/231584251/Product.aspx#reviews

Bought one of these two months ago and it is stunning. 40" is pretty much big enough for any normal size room. The 37" works well too, find TV's get a bit less comfortable beyond that size unless you have very large rooms as you tend to lose definition.

Had a look at lots before settling on this one, member of Which? as well and used their research as a starting point. It was replacing a top of the line Sony Bravia HD 40" LED TV which never survived Chinese packers high quality service when we got back in the summer. The Samsung has completely blown that away. Wife likes it as well (she preferred the white and clear surround) and kids seem to be able to manage it.

Bought from John Lewis 'cause it was easier and if I didn't like it I could send it back. Their price was pretty reasonable, not cheapest. Also have a look at Richer sounds website for good offers. Basically though having spent my time looking around I found the Samsungs latest offerings were a cut above most of the rest. LG had some pretty good machines as did Sony, but the Samsung just edged it for us. I looked as plasma screens, they are OK, but have a more limited life and have higher energy consumption. Slightly less sharp pictures was my other observation.

As for the SMART side of the TV, works quite well.Handy to have, wouldn't be my first choice for internet browsing, but you can do it. What is goood is just how accessible things like Utube and iPlayer become. So very useful addition to the TV and makes it a lot easier for my wife to watch Strictly Come Dancing after the kids have gone to bed. It was a bit fiddly to get into for the first few days, but after that a lot easier (my 8 year old uses it without a problem!).

Never knowingly understood

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 09:42 - Nov 20 with 2158 viewsTW_R

Plenty of articles out there on this. It really does depend on what you use the TV for and your budget.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 09:55 - Nov 20 with 2148 viewsjamois

Buy LED. Picture quality on plasma is 'technically' better on larger canvasses but LED has caught up to the extent that most people wouldn't recognise the difference. LED is much more durable and practical, greater longevity.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 11:05 - Nov 20 with 2119 viewsNov77

John Lewis give a five year guarantee on all their tv's, also they will price match with places like richer sounds who are often a little cheaper!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 11:30 - Nov 20 with 2107 viewsA40Bosh

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 11:05 - Nov 20 by Nov77

John Lewis give a five year guarantee on all their tv's, also they will price match with places like richer sounds who are often a little cheaper!

Last TV I bought was back in May 2009 and I cannot take any credit for it as my Mrs and the kids could see something that I could not at the time and insisted we got the Pioneer Kuro LED instead of the LG I was happy to go for. Although we spotted in Currys I went and bought it in John Lewis where I by everything because of the service and 5 year warranty.

It is only a 32" as I do not like wall mounted TV, but 3.5 years later I have never seen a better quality HD picture on any other tv. I paid over the top by about £150 compared to LG and Samsung at the time, but have never regretted it, it is a stunning tv. The sound was ok, but as i love watching music videos as well as films I went and spent another couple of hundred quid on a Bose system that emulates surround sound with only 2 speakers and a sub. It is supposed to be designed for running off of home computers but for our size room the sound is incredible.

The sad thing is Pioneer have since pulled out of the tv business and I believe the nearest thing to a Pioneer Kuro is now a Panasonic Viera in terms of quality.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 12:41 - Nov 20 with 2070 viewsJuzzie

Despite who they sponsor, Samsung do make quality products. When buying a tv for my bedroom, I probably spent about £70 more than I needed to on a 21" LED but it is a really good TV. Has very comprehesive settings and menu's and can have a USB stick plugged in so I can watch MPEG encoded films, listen to MP3's etc. A cheaper model doesn't have these functions but are probably just as good.

Agree about the comment above that Plasma's are only really worth having if you're going to get a big screen, 42"+. If you only want a 32", then stick with an LED.

Regarding optimal screen size, I think there's also a rule of thumb that the best size is something like; divide the distance you sit from the TV by 3 and that gets your ideal screen size. i.e if you sit 8ft from your TV, a 32" screen is ideal.

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/320656/how_pick_right_size_tv_your_livin

My mum's neighbour has a 50" TV in a normal size living room (keeping up with the Jones') and you're sitting so close the picture looks awful. You need to sit in the kitchen to get the best view of it!

Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 21:48 - Nov 20 with 2025 viewsChinajohn

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Off to John Lewis in the next few weeks for a Samsung (oh that does hurt a bit!) 40" LED and a BluRay thingy.
Non-Hughes!! Plasma or LED? on 22:07 - Nov 20 with 2012 viewsjonno

I have a Panasonic 46" plasma 3D - had it almost 2 years now, still stunning picture quality, no problems with it at all. When I bought it it was rated just about the best TV you could get for picture quality, I did a fair bit of research. Bought it with a Samsung surround system (also superb), both from John Lewis - for their free 5 year guarantee plus the wife works for them so staff discount as well as they are price competitive.
Anything above about 42" I would go for plasma, personally. They do use more electricity, but I also have a largish screen Samsung LED which is good, but not the quality of the Panasonic, both in picture quality or build standard, but they are a fair bit cheaper than Panasonics so I would expect that. I'm sure though that they are improving (and getting cheaper) all the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024