Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? 00:08 - Jun 1 with 4897 viewshoopsa07

@NChampionship: Everton captain Phil Neville, 36, is being lined up by Brighton as a possible replacement for manager Gus Poyet. (Telegraph)
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:13 - Jun 1 with 4868 viewsBrightonhoop

Really it was Sousa 27 mins ago. Is Mullery in the frame yet?
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:17 - Jun 1 with 4855 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Was I the only one who found this title kind of misleading??

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:28 - Jun 1 with 4837 viewsNorthernr

Phil Neville is gaining all sorts of stock by captaining an Everton team wonderfully managed by David Moyes while his brother does well on Sky Sports.

1 - Phil Neville has never been that good. Let's be honest, he's not that good.
2 - He would be a mediocre player in a poor team if it wasn't for Moyes.
3 - Gary Neville would be viewed as a bit of a pillock (he even says himself during commentary "shurrup Gary" when he says something that's immediately proved wrong) if television wasn't infested by Chris Kamara, Ala Shearer, Jamie Redknapp types who say nothing against anybody for fear of offending somebody and losing their job or having somebody refuse to come on their show. Somebody actually giving an opinion is unusual, and therefore people are drawn to Gary Neville.
4 - And this is the most important thing... When England played Hungary in a dreadfully, terribly important international friendly in 2006 Hungary pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 to England in the 55th minute. Phil Neville - in commentary on Five Live - described that goal, in a match that meant nothing to anybody and merely halved the deficit in a pointless fixture as, quote, "probably the gretest moment in his nation's football history."

For somebody who claims to be a student of the game, with a future coaching career, to think that some sodding goal in a pointless fcking friendly match to be a nation's greatest sporting achievement ahead of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_3%E2%80%936_Hungary_(1953_association_footb

or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungary_7%E2%80%931_England_(1954_association_footb

marks him out, in my eyes, as a total fcking mouth breathing moron who I wouldn't even trust to look after my cats during a 4 day trip abroad, let alone my football team at any level.

The idea that Phil Neville is some sort of wonderful footballer and genius manager in waiting is, I'm afraid, totally lost on me. I hope Brighton do give him their job - it'll be tick one of 23 required in the "teams that will finish below QPR" column.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:36 - Jun 1 with 4820 viewsTacticalR

Jonathan Wilson on the significance of the Hungary game in 'Inverting the Pyramid':

'No other game has so resonated through the history of English football. England had lost to foreign opposition before - most humiliatingly to the USA in the World Cup three years earlier - but, other than a defeat at Goodison Park in 1949, never at home, where climate, conditions and refereeing offered no excuse. They had certainly never been so outclassed. Hungary's 6-3 victory was not the moment when English football began to decline, but it was the moment at which it was recognised.'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-Pyramid-History-Football-Tactics/dp/0752889958

Air hostess clique

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:50 - Jun 1 with 4791 viewsTrom

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:28 - Jun 1 by Northernr

Phil Neville is gaining all sorts of stock by captaining an Everton team wonderfully managed by David Moyes while his brother does well on Sky Sports.

3 - Gary Neville would be viewed as a bit of a pillock (he even says himself during commentary "shurrup Gary" when he says something that's immediately proved wrong) if television wasn't infested by Chris Kamara, Ala Shearer, Jamie Redknapp types who say nothing against anybody for fear of offending somebody and losing their job or having somebody refuse to come on their show. Somebody actually giving an opinion is unusual, and therefore people are drawn to Gary Neville.
4 - And this is the most important thing... When England played Hungary in a dreadfully, terribly important international friendly in 2006 Hungary pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 to England in the 55th minute. Phil Neville - in commentary on Five Live - described that goal, in a match that meant nothing to anybody and merely halved the deficit in a pointless fixture as, quote, "probably the gretest moment in his nation's football history."

For somebody who claims to be a student of the game, with a future coaching career, to think that some sodding goal in a pointless fcking friendly match to be a nation's greatest sporting achievement ahead of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_3%E2%80%936_Hungary_(1953_association_footb

or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungary_7%E2%80%931_England_(1954_association_footb

marks him out, in my eyes, as a total fcking mouth breathing moron who I wouldn't even trust to look after my cats during a 4 day trip abroad, let alone my football team at any level.

The idea that Phil Neville is some sort of wonderful footballer and genius manager in waiting is, I'm afraid, totally lost on me. I hope Brighton do give him their job - it'll be tick one of 23 required in the "teams that will finish below QPR" column.

A bit harsh on Gary there. I've been surprised about how good he's been. Have no problem with somebody holding their hands up when they get it wrong. It's the ego maniacs like Hughes who I reckon still believes in his on bull even now, that I have issues with.

The horror I have is that I think he (Hughes) could be ok for them given little money to spend and taking over someone else's team. Hope I'm wrong.

Gary is a big step up from Grey for me.
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:53 - Jun 1 with 4784 viewsHollowayRanger

fergusons boys always make great managers

robson wilkins ince bruce keane hughes

NOT!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 04:31 - Jun 1 with 4679 viewstimcocking

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:28 - Jun 1 by Northernr

or this

Mediocre player, goes without saying. And how the hell is he supposed to be a great football manager when he's never even had a go? He could be good, could be useless. I don't really see why a well ranked team would take a gamble of that magnitude. Media talk, surely?

Can anybody name a more gormless lokking individual than Phillip Neville
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 06:14 - Jun 1 with 4639 viewsAgedR

Fondly remembered football chant; "if the Neville's play for England so can I"

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Login to get fewer ads

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 10:17 - Jun 1 with 4326 viewsYorkRanger

Would be a huge gamble...
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 19:08 - Jun 1 with 4016 viewsRed_Ranger

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:36 - Jun 1 by TacticalR

Jonathan Wilson on the significance of the Hungary game in 'Inverting the Pyramid':

'No other game has so resonated through the history of English football. England had lost to foreign opposition before - most humiliatingly to the USA in the World Cup three years earlier - but, other than a defeat at Goodison Park in 1949, never at home, where climate, conditions and refereeing offered no excuse. They had certainly never been so outclassed. Hungary's 6-3 victory was not the moment when English football began to decline, but it was the moment at which it was recognised.'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-Pyramid-History-Football-Tactics/dp/0752889958

Sounds interesting. Is it worth buying?? Good read??
Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 19:08 - Jun 1 with 4016 viewsRed_Ranger

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 00:36 - Jun 1 by TacticalR

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 11:02 - Jun 2 with 3843 viewsrsonist

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 11:42 - Jun 2 with 3804 viewsTacticalR

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 19:08 - Jun 1 by Red_Ranger

Inverting the Pyramid is great for giving you a historical perspective on football, and the way certain ideas have passed between countries and between decades. For example Total Footall was pioneered by Englishman Jack Reynolds who managed Ajax between 1915 and 1947.

It's also great for giving you a perspective on the way tactics have been invented and reinvented.

However, Wilson can be hard to follow at times, and even though there are many diagrams in the book, I think it could have done with even more as it's still sometimes hard to picture in your mind whatever formation he is talking about (especially if there doesn't happen to be a diagram on that particular page).

If you are not sure whether to cough up for the book, have a look at a couple of his articles on the Guardian website to see if he is your cup of tea.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/jonathanwilson

Air hostess clique

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 14:28 - Jun 2 with 3669 viewsdenhamhoop2

Phil Neville instead of 'Arry? on 19:08 - Jun 1 by Red_Ranger

How is Phil Neville even a candidate for a forward looking club.As a player he was extremely limited who basically was the inhouse Temp no Evra play him Left back Hmm Roy Keane suspended play Neville there.I always worry about any player who when u ask someone where they play you get a blank look.He has no coaching experience whatsoever yet because he played for Man United and England (50+ caps god forbid) lets appoint him he played under Fergie and Moyes he must have learned something.There are countless good solid pros who would do a good job given a chance but because they have no profile or name will have to struggle their way up the football pyramid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024