Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. 21:47 - Aug 16 with 2387 viewsStpeteR

How a brief experience at Loftus Road created a lifelong fan...

I had the good fortune of securing a work exchange permit while at college in the summer of 1993. I found myself working in the city for 9 months and as a young football player myself, seeking advice from my work mates as to which team/stadium to see in the top flight. The consensus among the office was that QPR were playing excellent football with Les leading the line and were excellent value for money (I was a very poor student).

I attended 2 games in that season, taking in a win vs Sheffield and a draw vs Norwich. I was such a naive soul as to ask where I could purchase a pint at that first Sheffield match. Well, the atmosphere hooked me and I never looked back.

I moved to the Tampa Bay area a few years later and found a devouted following of Tampa Bay Rowdies fans who idolized Rodney Marsh and it all seemed to dovetail nicely.

Unfortunately in those pre-internet days, EPL, let alone lower division, scores were hard to come by and satellite TV was your only hope for top flight european footy over here. 20+yrs on and we Yanks are awash in International footy these days.

Perhaps it is that I am a stubborn fool but as those around me celebrated their adopted big teams I was more than happy to support the R's despite the strange looks. Nothing better to puzzle an Englishman abroad than to find a Yank footy fan who knows all the top teams and players and supports QPR.

I have read and enjoyed qprdot.org but find this forum a better source of info and dry gallows humor to help after those SKY games of the last few years. I thank those on here for their insight and many tales of the club's past. I am humbled by the number of posters on here that have loved and given their support to the club over 40+yrs.

Two wins and top of the table mean nothing in such a long season but I think JFH and management are on the right track. COYR

- one of many who read but don't normally post.
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 21:51 - Aug 16 with 2365 viewsWokingR

Welcome at last but come on
If you've been reading and lurking all this time you know the rules
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:02 - Aug 16 with 2327 viewsRickyDicky

Is stpeter as in St Petersburg ?

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:03 - Aug 16 with 2323 viewsNorthernr

Well that was all very lovely. Welcome.
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:06 - Aug 16 with 2313 viewsBoston

Your comment regarding the dry gallows disappoints me, always been a bit of an electric chair man myself.
Nice clean post anyway, suppose that's the years of living in Fluride.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:07 - Aug 16 with 2304 viewsBoston

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:02 - Aug 16 by RickyDicky

Is stpeter as in St Petersburg ?

Heaven, I think?

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:09 - Aug 16 with 2294 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nice first post. I give you three months before you're frothing with rage!

Welcome aboard, Saint.

Favourite cheese?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:18 - Aug 16 with 2270 viewsTacticalR

Welcome.

There seems to be something of a QPR-Florida connection with David Bardsley's QPR academy in Orlando.

Air hostess clique

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:22 - Aug 16 with 2257 viewsPunteR

Sup dawg..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:55 - Aug 16 with 2194 viewsStpeteR

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:09 - Aug 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Nice first post. I give you three months before you're frothing with rage!

Welcome aboard, Saint.

Favourite cheese?

yes, I moved to St Pete, FL in '95.

I like aged sharp cheddar - prefer with multiple beers & a braut.
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 00:10 - Aug 17 with 2108 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Welcome mate.
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 00:18 - Aug 17 with 2102 viewsBklynRanger

Very nice. I got a terrible sunburn in Florida some years ago but I won't hold that against you....

Welcome abored.
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 07:33 - Aug 17 with 1974 viewsW13R

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:55 - Aug 16 by StpeteR

yes, I moved to St Pete, FL in '95.

I like aged sharp cheddar - prefer with multiple beers & a braut.

Great place, stayed there a few years back with the wife and kids at the Trade Winds Hotel.
Lovely beach behind the hotel and a great restaurant further down the beach called The Hurricane if I remember rightly?
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 07:44 - Aug 17 with 1956 viewsdanehoop

Welcome. Just spent past couple of weeks in Florida with the family and on my way back on business in a few weeks time. Great part of the world, provided you enjoy heat.

Have we resolved the cheese question yet?

Never knowingly understood

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 09:00 - Aug 17 with 1878 viewspomanjou

Cannot possibly respond to the OP until he/her makes a queso/fromage/cheddar declaration. Lets not start getting lax just because the defence has tightened up a bit.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 09:30 - Aug 17 with 1830 viewsBrightonhoop

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 09:00 - Aug 17 by pomanjou

Cannot possibly respond to the OP until he/her makes a queso/fromage/cheddar declaration. Lets not start getting lax just because the defence has tightened up a bit.

Pay attention now.

' yes, I moved to St Pete, FL in '95.

I like aged sharp cheddar - prefer with multiple beers & a braut.'

Welcome. Once an R, always an R.
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 09:33 - Aug 17 with 1829 viewscollegeranger

will be in StPete on Friday - Mrs College wants to see the Dali Museum!
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 11:49 - Aug 17 with 1757 viewsDylanP

Welcome -- nice post

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 12:27 - Aug 17 with 1713 viewsR_from_afar

Welcome to the madhouse!

It's good to see we have resolved the cheese situation but what's your opinion of Sue Perkins?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 17:16 - Aug 17 with 1581 viewswestberksr

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 12:27 - Aug 17 by R_from_afar

Welcome to the madhouse!

It's good to see we have resolved the cheese situation but what's your opinion of Sue Perkins?

RFA

Sue Perkins, the thinking man's Ellen DeGeneres!

thank God you didn't mention that yellow stuff that passes off for cheese over there.

welcome aboard
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 22:47 - Aug 17 with 1482 viewsDorse

Welcome aboard. Don't lend Blob any money. Despite his protestations, there is no such thing as Welsh groats.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 00:40 - Aug 18 with 1446 viewsfrancisbowles

Welcome, hope you manage to get back to Loftus Road sometime now that you are no longer a poor student.

Fort Myers Beach is my favourite international break destination, just before Thanks Giving!
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 11:49 - Aug 19 with 1337 viewsTheBlob

Allo mate.
This place has got a bit like The Real Housewives Of Shepherd's Bush of late.
Lend us a tenner - a real investment since the pound has been artificially depressed.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 13:24 - Aug 19 with 1294 viewsisawqpratwcity

Welcome, St Pete. You may be the only one here to be canonised, though many deserve it, one way or another.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2016 14:10]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 13:39 - Aug 19 with 1275 viewshoof_hearted

Well you lot seem to have scared him off.

He must have realised how much better our life is and gone off Manatee watching or testing the output of micro breweries or watching scantily clad girls playing beach volleyball. Ha - read about our lives and weep, sucker.
Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 17:19 - Aug 19 with 1200 viewsBoston

Florida yank finally posting after lurking for ~2+ years. on 17:16 - Aug 17 by westberksr

Sue Perkins, the thinking man's Ellen DeGeneres!

thank God you didn't mention that yellow stuff that passes off for cheese over there.

welcome aboard

Yellow stuff....but you can't eat a Philly Cheesesteak unless it's 'wit wiz'!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024