Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
morroco in oct ? Anyone been 17:00 - Aug 30 with 2376 viewswombat

looking for a week there start of oct any hints suggestions ??

come on you well travelled lot

Poll: which is your favouite foot

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:03 - Aug 30 with 2375 viewslondonscottish

If you're staying in Marakech find a good ryad.

Eat their out at other good reataurants/ryads

Take a day to go into the mountains

Take a couple of days to go to the coast/do the tent on the beach thing.

Don't mention Taraabt. They thinks he's lazy, does too much hookah and has an aye for the ladies

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:06 - Aug 30 with 2369 viewslondonscottish

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/oct/13/top-10-riads-marrakech-morocco

See Dar Zam Zam. Set up by a couple of friends from Kensal Rise who decided to jack it all in and start a riad, as you do.

Not cheap but highly recomended. (went there in June 2015).

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:12 - Aug 30 with 2351 viewslondonscottish

Don't buy cheap shoes/sandals in the souk. The leather's often not cured properly and they'll stink.

Also avoid the spices. I bought some and cooked a meal at home. The whole place honked for two weeks.

Keep some small change in your pocket for people walking alongside you "showing you the way" even when you know exactly where you're going.

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:13 - Aug 30 with 2350 viewsDees

We went to Taghazout at the start of the year, great for surfing but not much else - it's also a dry town, nearby Agadir had more going on with a nice beach, restaurants etc...
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:14 - Aug 30 with 2347 views1MoreBrightonR

echo what everyone else is saying...isome perople dont like marrakesh but i loved it. so many amazing and reasonable Riads to stay in as well. i did get the worst food poisoning ever there though....i made it through 9 months of backbacking relatively ok and then go away to marrakesh for a weekend with a gf and spend a whole night in a bathroom with a curtain as a door between me and the bed ha ha.
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:20 - Aug 30 with 2330 viewsLblock

You couldn't pay me to go back there or Tunisa

I've also struck Turkey and Eygpt off my visit list

I'm hoping to get to Cyprus for 10 days in October though. Not been there for 8 years and I used to love Pathos

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:20 - Aug 30 with 2333 viewsted_hendrix

Stop going on holiday Will and get some bloody work done.

If you wanna hear me moaning a bit more I'll be at the Sunderland game.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:23 - Aug 30 with 2320 viewswombat

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:20 - Aug 30 by ted_hendrix

Stop going on holiday Will and get some bloody work done.

If you wanna hear me moaning a bit more I'll be at the Sunderland game.

ted after the last few months here mate i need a bloody break lol

looking to do marrakesh 6 nights hopefully back in time for the reading game (oct is safe for games being moved isnt it ? )
[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 17:27]

Login to get fewer ads

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 22:18 - Aug 30 with 2155 viewschris1969

TripAdvisor worth following for great Riads, Restaurants and day trips.

We did 3 nights in Nov great weather and had a great time. Did a day at a Spa and Cookery school which was different and very enjoyable eating and drinking some great stuff. Some of the top restaurants are very good as well as the highly rated backstreet finds. As said before expect to get lost and pay the locals some spare change to guide you through the maze of alleys.
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 07:21 - Aug 31 with 2052 viewslondonscottish

You can jump in a cab and get to the Beldi in 15 minutes.

They let you pay to use the outdoor pool. Then you can have lunch/wander round the gardens. Amazing spot.

Me & the OH spent a few days lounging around

http://beldicountryclub.com/

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 07:44 - Aug 31 with 2031 viewsPommyhoop

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:20 - Aug 30 by Lblock

You couldn't pay me to go back there or Tunisa

I've also struck Turkey and Eygpt off my visit list

I'm hoping to get to Cyprus for 10 days in October though. Not been there for 8 years and I used to love Pathos

Love Cyprus.Little place called Pretorus. Right next to Ayia Napa but far enough away if you know what I mean..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 08:23 - Aug 31 with 2000 viewsBluce_Ree

Don't eat anything. Don't talk to anyone. Stay behind the fat American tourists, let them be beggar fodder. Everything there is shit so keep your money tucked away.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 09:05 - Aug 31 with 1966 viewsBrightonhoop

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 08:23 - Aug 31 by Bluce_Ree

Don't eat anything. Don't talk to anyone. Stay behind the fat American tourists, let them be beggar fodder. Everything there is shit so keep your money tucked away.

That's sold it....

Some times think about crossing to Morroco snd taking the train down to Cassablance and on towards Marrakesh from southern Spain, it's a short hop away, but every agency is advising against it and folks say Casablanca is a nightmare. Keep an eye on security Wombat.
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 09:28 - Aug 31 with 1952 views1MoreBrightonR

yeah, not heard great things about Casablanca. We did tonnes of shopping in marrakesh...got loads of bowls, leather bags, spices etc...was great fun but you do have to be prepared. If you've been to a developing country, its pretty standard but i think some people do a long weekend in the same way you go to Barcelona and find the hassling/bargaining etc a shock.

Found the food good but a bit repetative. We did a day trip to the Atlas mountains and it was great till about 11am and then we had to go back because the weather was awful and the road flooded...got a 75% refund which was fair given we had done a few hours.
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 10:31 - Aug 31 with 1929 viewsRickyDicky

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 17:06 - Aug 30 by londonscottish

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/oct/13/top-10-riads-marrakech-morocco

See Dar Zam Zam. Set up by a couple of friends from Kensal Rise who decided to jack it all in and start a riad, as you do.

Not cheap but highly recomended. (went there in June 2015).

Some of those Riad's look fantastic. Are the Riad's "Dry", My son recently was in a Hotel in Marrakech and only the hotels served booze ?

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 11:14 - Aug 31 with 1911 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Mrs PH was working there last year, so I meandered into town for a few days in Fez before moving down to Marrakesh. Took a train, and based on our experience, I could recommend it to Mr and Mrs Corbyn.

As suggested, do some research about the Riads as they are great places to hole-up and we stayed in two cracking ones. We also had some truly top tucker out there and some average but when it was good, it hit the ball out the park!

Its always difficult to advise as the souks/medinas as they are like mazes but you'll get the hang of it. Our riad in Marrakech recommended a guide and while I generally avoid them, this bloke was brilliant. Totally opened the place up and was a font of knowledge. I'd certainly suggest you look into this because he was pointing stuff out we'd never have known. But do apply the same level of precautions as you would in London to avoid petty thievery and scams. Did hear tales of folks get pick-pocketed/ripped off.

It was the start of Ramadan and bearing in mind its a Muslim country, one of the best beers I have ever had was taken on the rook top of a bar in Marrakech. Walking around in 50 degrees of heat with the guide, I was blowing a bit and on the walk back to the riad, we stumbled on this French woman lost and in distress. So we walked her back through the medina and I suggested a beer as we past the bar (can't recall the name).

In that heat, thirsty and beginning to sweat like a glassblower's 'arris, this ice cold beer looking out over the rook tops was consumed with the delight John Mills' showed in 'Ice Cold in Alex'.

Deffo get out to the Atlas mountains as well.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 14:53 - Aug 31 with 1841 viewsdubaistu

Can only share my experience of Tangier which is a s hithole and a very close 2nd behind Egypt which is easily the worst place on this planet where you're unlikely to be beheaded.

Agree with the other guy who said you couldn't pay him to go there and his trip to Paphos where we have holiday villa. Try the Japanese in Coral Bay, great food and good banter (with the Filipino staff acting all Japanese!!)
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 15:27 - Aug 31 with 1820 viewsMaggsinho

I went to Marrakesh in October 2012 and thought it was brilliant. It's hectic in your face but it's all part of the fun and makes the calmness of the Riads all the more welcome.

My favourites were the Jemma El Fna, the giant square, worth seeeing both at day and night, the El Badi palace complete with storks nesting in the ruins and the Majorelle Gardens.
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 16:21 - Aug 31 with 1786 views1MoreBrightonR

great tips for doing the medina...get a local sim for your phone and google maps then works and you dont get lost once! kind of takes the fun out of it but at the same time, ive never been so lost in my life and we spoke to a couple that got a sim and they said it was an amazing solution.
morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 16:25 - Aug 31 with 1786 viewslondonscottish

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 10:31 - Aug 31 by RickyDicky

Some of those Riad's look fantastic. Are the Riad's "Dry", My son recently was in a Hotel in Marrakech and only the hotels served booze ?

Zam Zam's certainly not dry and I was there during Ramadan.

None of the restaurants I went to were dry either.

The infleunce of the West, especially France is pervasive and the king is very pro-moderation.

The unwritten rule is that you can drink what you want as long as you do it behind closed doors in restaurants and riads.

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 16:34 - Aug 31 with 1772 viewsRickyDicky

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 16:25 - Aug 31 by londonscottish

Zam Zam's certainly not dry and I was there during Ramadan.

None of the restaurants I went to were dry either.

The infleunce of the West, especially France is pervasive and the king is very pro-moderation.

The unwritten rule is that you can drink what you want as long as you do it behind closed doors in restaurants and riads.

Thanks for that.

There must be an Irish bar there for sure. EVERY town/city etc has an Irish bar ?

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 18:00 - Aug 31 with 1752 viewsBlackCrowe

Been there a few times and here are my recos....

Riad Al Moussika is really lovely, in the Medina and also has an excellent restaurant. If wanting a proper splurge then look no further than Riad Kniza.

Eating: Book Le Foundouk (in the medina)well in advance and make sure you ask for a rooftop table. Outside the medina - Al Fassia serves up famously amazing tagines.

A week's quite a long time so suggest you day trip upto the waterfalls of Setti Fatma (you can arrange a guided tour or your own driver through your riad/hotel).

Or better still, head to Essaouira on the coast for a couple of nights. 2.5 hours by aircon bus and a lovely, quite chi-chi, seaside town with great eating, shopping and beach life. Can recommend good riad and restaurants if you decide to do it.

Lucky you...you'll have a great time.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 22:17 - Aug 31 with 1710 viewslondonscottish

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 16:34 - Aug 31 by RickyDicky

Thanks for that.

There must be an Irish bar there for sure. EVERY town/city etc has an Irish bar ?

No bars.

Just places at which you can ear where they'll also serve you a drink.

There must be an Irish riad in there somewhere, though....

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 23:32 - Sep 1 with 1607 viewswombat

morroco in oct ? Anyone been on 09:05 - Aug 31 by Brightonhoop

That's sold it....

Some times think about crossing to Morroco snd taking the train down to Cassablance and on towards Marrakesh from southern Spain, it's a short hop away, but every agency is advising against it and folks say Casablanca is a nightmare. Keep an eye on security Wombat.

Cheers Brighton only planning on staying around marakesh to be honest . Been a tough few months and just need some sun

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024