Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bookings. 22:03 - Feb 21 with 1881 viewsted_hendrix

Seven players booked tonight, 2 for us and 5 for them, that's almost a fecking punch up, was it really that bad?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bookings. on 22:44 - Feb 21 with 1650 viewsStanisgod

Strangely enough , for such an inconsistent ref he got 6 out of the 7 yellows right , but as suggested in Norfs write up was completely random in his other decision making, not helped by the blind half brother of the Blackburn lino along Ellerslie, who thought offside was an optional extra. Plus he ran like John Cleese.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Bookings. on 23:07 - Feb 21 with 1581 viewsted_hendrix

Thanks for letting me know, the Sky thingy was showing yellow cards being dished out on what seemed like a regular basis and I got to thinking someones gonna get sent off in a minute, hopefully not one of ours.
Vital game tonight for both clubs so I'd guess both teams were committed, thankfully we came out on top.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bookings. on 23:22 - Feb 21 with 1527 viewsDejR_vu

Sylla got booked within 10 seconds of coming on. Maybe I missed something but it looked like he just ran into a defender. How can a ref book someone without even talking to him first?? Tool.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Bookings. on 23:28 - Feb 21 with 1499 viewsjohncharles

It sounded like they just couldn't stop fouling Lua Lua. I think two of the yellows were for bringing him down.

Strong and stable my arse.

Bookings. on 23:42 - Feb 21 with 1467 viewsactonman

Another useless ref , inconsistent beyond belief! Wigan were dirty bstards and deserved their yellows , not sure what sylla got booked for ?

I especially liked the way , in the 92nd minute Wigan tried to steal a few yards on a throw in right up our end with them all out attack and he rightly blew his whistle and actioned their player to go back where it went off.
Wigan player ignored him , took the throw anyway and launched it in the box and the ref just carried on as if nothing had happened ? Luckily we survived no thanks to that tw@t
Bookings. on 23:45 - Feb 21 with 1452 viewsNorthernr

Standard Championship knobhead. Could quite easily have got through that with one or two cards.
Bookings. on 23:49 - Feb 21 with 1440 viewskensalriser

Wigan were fouling consistently, they were certainly well worth the yellows. Ref was hilarious. Repeated wrong decisions but one near the end in our favour was the best, luckily as it all but ended Wigan's momentum.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bookings. on 23:54 - Feb 21 with 1424 viewsbosh67

Yup odd performance by the ref on cards. Most were deserved. Then books Sylla for something he couldn't get out the way of. Lunatic decision. Then decides he has booked enough players and lets quite a lot go.

No Ted, it wasn't that type of game but there were a few very tough tackles because the game got very bunched up at times.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Bookings. on 00:18 - Feb 22 with 1380 viewsTacticalR

A couple of those bookings must have been for fouls on LuaLua as he caught out opposition players with his pace.

Air hostess clique

Bookings. on 09:20 - Feb 22 with 1201 viewsPinnerPaul

Bookings. on 23:45 - Feb 21 by Northernr

Standard Championship knobhead. Could quite easily have got through that with one or two cards.

Really?

Apart for Sylla's one, I thought they were spot on.

As for "offsides" above, some fans need to know the offside law before berating the assistants.

Couple behind me had a long discussion about the futilty of strikers standing "offside" from a goal kick for example (You can't be offside from a GK for those that don't know)

I admit offside law now is more complicated than ever, but just being in an offside position hasn't been an offence for a number of years now!
Bookings. on 09:57 - Feb 22 with 1152 viewsWokingR

Bookings. on 22:44 - Feb 21 by Stanisgod

Strangely enough , for such an inconsistent ref he got 6 out of the 7 yellows right , but as suggested in Norfs write up was completely random in his other decision making, not helped by the blind half brother of the Blackburn lino along Ellerslie, who thought offside was an optional extra. Plus he ran like John Cleese.

It wasn't just his running either
Did anyone else notice the funny self conscious walk he put on every time he approached a player with a card in his hard.
It was like he was either trying to clench his arse, look seductive or just hide a hard on.
Bookings. on 10:16 - Feb 22 with 1120 viewsStanisgod

Bookings. on 09:20 - Feb 22 by PinnerPaul

Really?

As for "offsides" above, some fans need to know the offside law before berating the assistants.

Couple behind me had a long discussion about the futilty of strikers standing "offside" from a goal kick for example (You can't be offside from a GK for those that don't know)

I admit offside law now is more complicated than ever, but just being in an offside position hasn't been an offence for a number of years now!

Sitting in S block I was DIRECTLY in line with 3 definite offsides, not given , and yes I do know the offside laws. On one occasion a player recieved the ball after coming back from an offside postion , passed it and then went a yard offside to recieve it again ! Nothing given.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Bookings. on 10:45 - Feb 22 with 1082 viewsLongsufferingR

The inconsistency was maddening. There were a couple of challenges near the end that should have been yellow cards where players were pulled back to stop them getting a clear run, but they were given only as a free kick. Why punish those sort of challenges early in the game (correctly) but let them off towards the end? If the offending player is already on a yellow, so what?
Bookings. on 11:14 - Feb 22 with 1051 viewsPinnerPaul

Bookings. on 10:16 - Feb 22 by Stanisgod

Sitting in S block I was DIRECTLY in line with 3 definite offsides, not given , and yes I do know the offside laws. On one occasion a player recieved the ball after coming back from an offside postion , passed it and then went a yard offside to recieve it again ! Nothing given.

Didn't see them I have to say (in T block) - looked like he got them all correct to me.

Once their player was in an offside position, but the ball didn't get to him.

Furlong then headed the ball (NOT deflected off him) and THEN ball went to their player in "offside" position.

You can't be played onside by a deflection, but you can't be offside if defender deliberately plays the ball and it goes to you then.

That was the one that caused most consternation where I was sitting.
Bookings. on 11:20 - Feb 22 with 1039 viewssmegma

Bookings. on 09:20 - Feb 22 by PinnerPaul

Really?

Something new I learnt last night.

If a player is fouled, the perpetrator is booked and the recipient receives treatment, he doesn't have to leave the pitch. If the fouler isn't booked, the injured player has to leave the pitch.
Bookings. on 16:23 - Feb 22 with 955 viewsPinnerPaul

Bookings. on 11:20 - Feb 22 by smegma

Something new I learnt last night.

If a player is fouled, the perpetrator is booked and the recipient receives treatment, he doesn't have to leave the pitch. If the fouler isn't booked, the injured player has to leave the pitch.

Thats new for this season.
Bookings. on 17:15 - Feb 22 with 906 viewsNorthernr

Bookings. on 11:14 - Feb 22 by PinnerPaul

Didn't see them I have to say (in T block) - looked like he got them all correct to me.

Once their player was in an offside position, but the ball didn't get to him.

Furlong then headed the ball (NOT deflected off him) and THEN ball went to their player in "offside" position.

You can't be played onside by a deflection, but you can't be offside if defender deliberately plays the ball and it goes to you then.

That was the one that caused most consternation where I was sitting.

The one I don't like, and it happened a couple of times to Furlong last night, is a player (Grigg) is in an offside position, maybe 15 yards away from Furs, as a long ball is played down the line. Now if he wasn't there, Furlong could let the ball bounce in behind and either shepherd it out for a goal kick, go back to Smithies or bring it under control and play it away, but because he's got a man over his left shoulder (offside) he instead has to deal with it first time, heading it out of play for a Wigan throw in on the two occasions last night. So Wigan gain a throw in in opposition territory by standing a man offside behind Furlong and forcing him to either deal with it, or take that risk of letting a ball run in behind him in the hope that a) the player is offside as he suspects and b) the linesman sees it and flags it. Just because he doesn't get the ball, or doesn't make an attempt for it, or doesn't go that near it, doesn't mean he's not interfering with it.

That and this whole thing now where play continues and continues and continues before the linesman finally raises a flag to signal a player we all knew was offside ages ago actually is offside really gets on my tits. In that case it actually undermines the linesman in the minds of the players and crowd, because it takes bloody ages for an obviously offside player to be flagged. It can also be quite dangerous as I've seen several occasions, including one at Birmingham on Saturday, where in the period of time while we're waiting for the flag to finally go up a defender launches into a desperate lunging tackle on the guy panicking that the flag might not be about to go up.

Suspect that's a rule problem rather than a problem with the linesman last night.
Bookings. on 17:47 - Feb 22 with 876 viewsquickpassrotter

I actually thought that the two central defenders collided as Sylla pulled out of the challenge, and he made no contact with them.

The referee made some bizarre decisions ....including deciding to give a goal kick when their Keeper turned it over the bar, having decided that the ball had already gone over the bar (if you see what I mean). He kinda wandered around giving free kicks for non incidents and then not giving free kicks for the obvious.
Bookings. on 23:10 - Feb 22 with 780 viewssmegma

Bookings. on 17:47 - Feb 22 by quickpassrotter

I actually thought that the two central defenders collided as Sylla pulled out of the challenge, and he made no contact with them.

The referee made some bizarre decisions ....including deciding to give a goal kick when their Keeper turned it over the bar, having decided that the ball had already gone over the bar (if you see what I mean). He kinda wandered around giving free kicks for non incidents and then not giving free kicks for the obvious.

I thought he pushed one defender who then collided with his team mate. He now has 6 yellow cards.
Bookings. on 02:11 - Feb 23 with 743 viewsMatch82

Bookings. on 17:15 - Feb 22 by Northernr

The one I don't like, and it happened a couple of times to Furlong last night, is a player (Grigg) is in an offside position, maybe 15 yards away from Furs, as a long ball is played down the line. Now if he wasn't there, Furlong could let the ball bounce in behind and either shepherd it out for a goal kick, go back to Smithies or bring it under control and play it away, but because he's got a man over his left shoulder (offside) he instead has to deal with it first time, heading it out of play for a Wigan throw in on the two occasions last night. So Wigan gain a throw in in opposition territory by standing a man offside behind Furlong and forcing him to either deal with it, or take that risk of letting a ball run in behind him in the hope that a) the player is offside as he suspects and b) the linesman sees it and flags it. Just because he doesn't get the ball, or doesn't make an attempt for it, or doesn't go that near it, doesn't mean he's not interfering with it.

That and this whole thing now where play continues and continues and continues before the linesman finally raises a flag to signal a player we all knew was offside ages ago actually is offside really gets on my tits. In that case it actually undermines the linesman in the minds of the players and crowd, because it takes bloody ages for an obviously offside player to be flagged. It can also be quite dangerous as I've seen several occasions, including one at Birmingham on Saturday, where in the period of time while we're waiting for the flag to finally go up a defender launches into a desperate lunging tackle on the guy panicking that the flag might not be about to go up.

Suspect that's a rule problem rather than a problem with the linesman last night.

To be honest I never understood why it changed in the first place. Interfering with play or no, if you're beyond the last defender, you're offside.

Easier to implement, easier to understand, more immediate decision. If a forward player has nothing to do with play and is a for beyond the last defender over the other side of the pitch, it's his own stupid fault.
Bookings. on 10:18 - Feb 23 with 683 viewsPinnerPaul

Bookings. on 17:15 - Feb 22 by Northernr

Spot on Clive.

Player has to be close to the ball or have a "direct impact on the defender's ability to play the ball."

What is odd and difficult for everyone to understand is that as you say, in your example ,there is no offside, but (and a QPR match is actually used in ref training) if defender goes back to retrieve the ball and "offside" attacker then runs to challenge the defender he is THEN offside as impacting on defender's ability to play the ball.

All in all its very difficult for all to understand, although I can't be having Van Basten's stupid idea to get rid of all offsides - although would make my "job" as an AR a whole lot easier!
Bookings. on 10:23 - Feb 23 with 676 viewsNorthernr

Bookings. on 10:18 - Feb 23 by PinnerPaul

Spot on Clive.

Player has to be close to the ball or have a "direct impact on the defender's ability to play the ball."

What is odd and difficult for everyone to understand is that as you say, in your example ,there is no offside, but (and a QPR match is actually used in ref training) if defender goes back to retrieve the ball and "offside" attacker then runs to challenge the defender he is THEN offside as impacting on defender's ability to play the ball.

All in all its very difficult for all to understand, although I can't be having Van Basten's stupid idea to get rid of all offsides - although would make my "job" as an AR a whole lot easier!

That idea of not interfering needs looking at IMO. Like I say a couple of times the other night Furlong had to do something different to what he wanted, and hand possession back to Wigan in the form of a throw in, purely because Grigg was offside behind him. It's a very simple rule which various interpretations over the years have made much more complicated than it needs to be.
Bookings. on 10:35 - Feb 23 with 659 viewsPinnerPaul

Bookings. on 10:23 - Feb 23 by Northernr

That idea of not interfering needs looking at IMO. Like I say a couple of times the other night Furlong had to do something different to what he wanted, and hand possession back to Wigan in the form of a throw in, purely because Grigg was offside behind him. It's a very simple rule which various interpretations over the years have made much more complicated than it needs to be.

Yep agree there, but IMHO, they have made it (the laws) a little bit more complicated with each revision!
Bookings. on 14:17 - Feb 23 with 597 viewsQPR_John

Bookings. on 10:35 - Feb 23 by PinnerPaul

Yep agree there, but IMHO, they have made it (the laws) a little bit more complicated with each revision!

What concerns me is that if you who are at the coal face find these offside rules/interpretations more and more complicated why is nothing done. I guess it is a case that those that have to apply the rules are not listen to by those that create them
Bookings. on 14:20 - Feb 23 with 590 viewsLongsufferingR

Bookings. on 14:17 - Feb 23 by QPR_John

What concerns me is that if you who are at the coal face find these offside rules/interpretations more and more complicated why is nothing done. I guess it is a case that those that have to apply the rules are not listen to by those that create them

Or maybe it's just the case that referees are particularly thick?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024