Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 at the back 23:12 - Nov 19 with 2146 viewsDieByYourSide

First off: great to get the win in the circumstances with injuries and only one striker available, hopefully beginning to break away from that cluster of midtable teams below us.

BUT nearly 20 games in now playing this formation, at home to a team who are decent but nothing special and still just not really able to control the game. Still really easy to bypass us in midfield and still looking vulnerable in the channels between centre backs and wing backs.

Looked so much more solid with an extra body in midfield when Field came on, which was when we shored things up and the game management got a lot better. I wonder if we'll experiment with a 4321 going forward (may be enforced by Dickie's ban for Huddersfield if I'm not mistaken)?

Really we only managed to keep a clean sheet because of Luton's dreadful finishing and doesn't feel like we're that much closer to the fabled 90min performance?

"Cheer up" etc!

COYRs

Poll: And it's hi ho

5 at the back on 23:26 - Nov 19 with 2055 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I don't think a formation will improve us. The only things that will improve us:

1. A fully fit squad.
2. Our current players improve (which they have already)
3. We buy "better" players.

I thought Luton looked a good side and it was a good win. Not perfect by a long stretch.

COYRs!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

5 at the back on 00:06 - Nov 20 with 1929 viewsMyke

Yes I agree, Luton controlled the game better than we did and often passed their way through us. Problem with back 4 is two fold (1) Barbet (as he proved again tonight) is much better on the left of a three rather than a twin CB. (2) We don't have a RB of Championship standard - Kakay not (yet) good enough while Adomah and Moses are too attack-minded.
I honestly don't know the solution, because as we saw tonight, we need both Chair and Willock on the pitch together. Possible (although Dozzell is improving) Field will give us more solidity in mid-field beside Johansen
5 at the back on 00:22 - Nov 20 with 1856 viewsChrisNW6

Wallace looked hopeless in a back 4 but since we switched to a back 5 where his forward runs open up defences, he's a totally different player.

Albert is not the answer on the right but he's doing a job and came up against decent opposition tonight. He will have better games and we looked more balanced going forward. The addition of Field in midfield should start to see a more consistent starting XI and we have to persevere with the back 5
5 at the back on 03:23 - Nov 20 with 1649 viewsMatch82

I don't think it was their finishing was it? They had a lot of the ball in dangerous areas, but it was more their inability to do anything with it once they got there. Bunch of long range efforts that were off target or blocked? I remember the header which hit the outside of the post, but how many saves did Seny actually make?
5 at the back on 08:22 - Nov 20 with 1450 viewsdmm

I've said before, I think our defensive weakness is fundamentally about Warburton's football philosophy. He always has the FB/WBs pushed high and allows the DCM to join in attacks. He really is a "We'll score more than you" manager.

I too hope Field will make some difference and think a better RWB would help but I strongly suspect we'll always concede too many goals under Warburton.

And, BTW, I'm not having a go at our manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024