Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? 15:50 - Jan 16 with 1420 viewsBklynRanger

UK-US. Ideally anyone with both who's living in the UK.

I'm seriously thinking of ending the this great American adventure in a year or so. Have started to realise that I should apply for U.S. citizenship before leaving to make it easier to come back and forth as needed.

People on the interweb state that when you 'renounce' your allegiance to your home country to become a U.S. citizen the U.K doesn't actually acknowledge that, and that to stop becoming a U.K. citizen actually involves a process in the U.K. (Which naturally I wouldn't want to do...).

Anyone have experience of this stuff?
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:00 - Jan 16 with 1182 viewsJamie

If you take US Citizenship, it will not affect your UK citizenship, although you may need to file a US tax return when back in the UK as a US citizen.
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:08 - Jan 16 with 1154 viewsBklynRanger

Are you a dual citizen, Jamie?

The tax requirements are indeed something to consider.
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:26 - Jan 16 with 1103 viewsJamie

I'm not, but a good friend of mine was born in LA and has UK/US citizenship. The only time you would need to renounce the UK citizenship is if the nation you wish to attain it for does not allow dual nationality.

With regards other potential issues, expat forums would probably be your best bet if not already visited as they tend to be fantastic sources of info.
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:30 - Jan 16 with 1089 viewsGloucs_R

My uncle trying to get a perm visa at the moment. He runs a business, employs 12 people in NY but do you think they will give him a visa? Feck no!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:31 - Jan 16 with 1080 viewsBklynRanger

Ok, yeah thanks, have been looking at the expat forums, just doing a bit of 'triangulating'...
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:33 - Jan 16 with 1075 viewsBklynRanger

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:30 - Jan 16 by Gloucs_R

My uncle trying to get a perm visa at the moment. He runs a business, employs 12 people in NY but do you think they will give him a visa? Feck no!

Gloucs, Do you mean he's trying to get perm residency in U.S. or perm visa in UK?

I know first hand that they're slow and incompetent in the U.S., and on occasion wildly fcuked up in the U.K.
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:33 - Jan 16 with 1070 viewsStraightR

Do a search here. Lots of info on pros and cons. No personal experience ease of travel appears to be the main argument for it and dealing with the IRS seems to be the major argument against.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:38 - Jan 16 with 1046 viewsBklynRanger

Cheers
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 17:35 - Jan 16 with 970 viewsvegasranger

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:38 - Jan 16 by BklynRanger

Cheers

I'm both and the only thing I was told is that you have no protection in the States from Great Britain. Your GB passport with protection works in every other country. Best thing I ever did.
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 19:37 - Jan 16 with 906 viewsdanehoop

OK. You can renounce your British Citizenship once (basically we give you one mistake) and then you can reclaim it. So if you need to renounce one nationality to gain another you can do it as a Brit. However, you have to acquire the other nationality first - basically you can't make yourself stateless.

Unlike quite a few other countries, the UK is quite happy with dual nationality.

When it comes to Consular Protection overseas, technically the UK Government can't intervene if you are in the country of your second nationality. Now, to be fair, that doesn't always apply and the UK Government may take up a dual nationality case, especially when it's something like a serious crime (usually involving death penalties). It depends upon the country to be honest. In the US, probably wouldn't work. Once you take up the US citizenship the UK can't do a great deal if you get in to trouble and the US won't recognise dual nationality.

On taxation - that certainly is an issue. The UK works on taxation on where you are domiciled. As I understand it, which doesn't mean much, the US IRS takes a different view and requires a tax return from all US citizens wherever they are in the world. It doesn't automatically mean a tax demand, very much depends on levels of earnings.
As I say, the latter is something that I have less direct experience of, the former I am more familiar with.

Never knowingly understood

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 19:47 - Jan 16 with 878 viewsBklynRanger

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 19:37 - Jan 16 by danehoop

OK. You can renounce your British Citizenship once (basically we give you one mistake) and then you can reclaim it. So if you need to renounce one nationality to gain another you can do it as a Brit. However, you have to acquire the other nationality first - basically you can't make yourself stateless.

Unlike quite a few other countries, the UK is quite happy with dual nationality.

When it comes to Consular Protection overseas, technically the UK Government can't intervene if you are in the country of your second nationality. Now, to be fair, that doesn't always apply and the UK Government may take up a dual nationality case, especially when it's something like a serious crime (usually involving death penalties). It depends upon the country to be honest. In the US, probably wouldn't work. Once you take up the US citizenship the UK can't do a great deal if you get in to trouble and the US won't recognise dual nationality.

On taxation - that certainly is an issue. The UK works on taxation on where you are domiciled. As I understand it, which doesn't mean much, the US IRS takes a different view and requires a tax return from all US citizens wherever they are in the world. It doesn't automatically mean a tax demand, very much depends on levels of earnings.
As I say, the latter is something that I have less direct experience of, the former I am more familiar with.

Thanks Vegas and Dane.

Dane, is there any particular process in reclaiming the UK citizenship? I haven't come across that and thought it was more of a case of not actually losing it (from the UK's perspective) via the US citizenship process.

As far as the protection stuff goes that seems fair enough. I'm actually planning on taking up the dual citizenship as one of the things to sort out before leaving the US (which to some Americans will seem absolutely mind boggling :).

And yes, the IRS stuff definitely has to be looked into - if it's just going through the hassle of filing every year then fair enough but I'm hoping they wouldn't be looking for any actual $$$$...
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 19:55 - Jan 16 with 859 viewsDylanP

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 16:30 - Jan 16 by Gloucs_R

Gloucs,

Tell your uncle to look into the EB5 program. It is a program that allows entruepreneurs to become US citizens. You have to create 10 permenent jobs to qualify. It sounds like he would qualify. Here's the wikipedia entry for the program -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-5_visa

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:01 - Jan 16 with 847 viewsdanehoop

On the process of reclaiming British Citizenship, should be on the Home Office website, but may be easier to contact the Consular Section at the British Consulate General in New York. They will be pretty familiar with the process there and will be probably able to give you pretty good advice on what happens.

Starting point on HO website

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:03 - Jan 16 with 842 viewsBklynRanger

Fangs
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:21 - Jan 16 with 810 viewsJamie

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:01 - Jan 16 by danehoop

On the process of reclaiming British Citizenship, should be on the Home Office website, but may be easier to contact the Consular Section at the British Consulate General in New York. They will be pretty familiar with the process there and will be probably able to give you pretty good advice on what happens.

Starting point on HO website

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/dualnationality/

If taking US citizenship, surely you do not need to reclaim UK citizenship unless you specifically renounce it as it is not automatically renounced by taking on US citizenship?
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:23 - Jan 16 with 804 viewsrongould

I am British my wife is American. She and our 3 children are dual nationals
Leave Britain show British passport;enter USA show US passport.
Coming back vice versa. No waiting in the non nationals queue
Traveling elsehere use the EU passport but have the US one just in casr
Never had any problems since it was allowed to be dual about 20 years ago
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:39 - Jan 16 with 784 viewsBklynRanger

Thanks, Ron.

Jamie what I've read is that when taking US Citizenship you do have to renounce your allegiance to your country of birth, but that the UK doesn't take it particularly seriously. There's a certain amount of national character wrapped up in those two stances.
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:52 - Jan 16 with 761 viewsWanderR

Steady on... here is absolute no need to renounce your British citizenship in order to gain American citizenship. The UK has tolerated dual nationality since 1949 and the States have allowed it since the late '70s/early '80s when it was tested in the US Supreme Court.

The misconception comes from the US citizenship ceremony where you have to make an Oath of Allegiance in which you promise to "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen". However the British government does not consider this a renunciation of British citizenship - you would need to go to the British Embassy and renounce it officially in front of a consular officer to do that (after paying an admin fee of course). Therefore in practice you will remain British whilst also becoming American.

Downside is that the British government can no longer intervene on your behalf if you get into trouble in the US. Also you will need to pay US taxes whichever country you live in unless there is a bilateral double taxation agreement.

Current location: OX10

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:54 - Jan 16 with 750 viewsBklynRanger

Yeah thanks, that's the detail I'm talking about.

(Though I'll just say now....I wouldn't really be American at all....I'd just have an extra couple of bits of paper in my house)
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:56 - Jan 16 with 746 viewsWanderR

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:54 - Jan 16 by BklynRanger

(Though I'll just say now....I wouldn't really be American at all....I'd just have an extra couple of bits of paper in my house)

It's my day job

Have you got a Green Card?

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:58 - Jan 16 with 736 viewsBklynRanger

Yes, took 8 years to get. The other day I had a look at it in the pub to see how long I've had it - five and a half years!

Do you know anything about the tax requirements, Wander?
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 21:06 - Jan 16 with 721 viewsWanderR

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:58 - Jan 16 by BklynRanger

Yes, took 8 years to get. The other day I had a look at it in the pub to see how long I've had it - five and a half years!

Do you know anything about the tax requirements, Wander?

Not personally, but I understand you have to file a tax return with the IRS even if you're living abroad and they will determine whether you need to pay US tax on your income elsewhere. Best place to look for info on that would be the IRS website itself.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-2555,-Foreign-Earned-Income

The good thing about naturalising is that you can leave the US for any length of time and still return if you wish. Also any children born outside the US (in the UK for example) after you naturalise will be automatically US citizens at birth.

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 21:20 - Jan 16 with 704 viewsBklynRanger

YEah that's the point. Seems a bit ridiculous to work here for 15 years but then have to come under suspicion as a re-emigrant any time we visit.

Thanks for the search term - 'foreign earned income'.
Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 22:06 - Jan 16 with 667 viewsdanehoop

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:56 - Jan 16 by WanderR

It's my day job

Have you got a Green Card?

If that's your day job, then I suspect we may have been in the same line of business WanderR.

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 22:23 - Jan 16 with 645 viewsessextaxiboy

Anyone on here have dual citizenship? on 20:54 - Jan 16 by BklynRanger

We may not want you back ... You cant just pick us up like an old coat and pretend nothing happened .... We have feelings yknow
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024