Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
43 minutes' silence 15:06 - Aug 27 with 2502 viewsGloryHunter

That took some doing - well done Genoa fans.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/27/genoa-fans-stay-silent-to-honour-v
43 minutes' silence on 15:23 - Aug 27 with 2443 viewsLongsufferingR

That's nothing. I'm sure we managed at least 60 minutes in a couple of JFH's games in charge.
43 minutes' silence on 15:29 - Aug 27 with 2427 viewsNorthernr

Was having this discussion/argument with a guy near us on Saturday during the Ron Hunt tribute. I rarely join in with the clapping, because I think it should be a silence.

I think it's pathetic that football in this country has basically given up on the idea of staying quiet for one lousy minute to pay tribute to somebody who's died. I can perhaps see that maybe for somebody who's lived a long, full and successful life a minute of applause would be appropriate, but sometimes they ask us to stand and clap for a minute when an 8 year old has died of cancer, or a teenager has been killed in a road crash. How is it remotely appropriate to be applauding in those circumstances?

Genoa putting us all to shame there.
43 minutes' silence on 16:45 - Aug 27 with 2300 viewsisawqpratwcity

Being at a crowded football game (in progress) in total silence seems pretty surreal to me. Not criticising, just saying.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

43 minutes' silence on 19:38 - Aug 27 with 2171 viewsGloryHunter

43 minutes' silence on 15:29 - Aug 27 by Northernr

Was having this discussion/argument with a guy near us on Saturday during the Ron Hunt tribute. I rarely join in with the clapping, because I think it should be a silence.

I think it's pathetic that football in this country has basically given up on the idea of staying quiet for one lousy minute to pay tribute to somebody who's died. I can perhaps see that maybe for somebody who's lived a long, full and successful life a minute of applause would be appropriate, but sometimes they ask us to stand and clap for a minute when an 8 year old has died of cancer, or a teenager has been killed in a road crash. How is it remotely appropriate to be applauding in those circumstances?

The traditional minutes' silence is a great concept. The problem at football grounds is that people still on the concourses don't know it's started, so they trot up the steps, laughing and chatting with each other, then people in the crowd shout at them to shut up, then other people make shhssss'ing noises, so the whole thing gets ruined. The only way to make it work would be to pre-instruct every steward on every staircase to listen out for the ref's whistle and then hold people back for a minute, which is never going to happen. Hence the idea of the minute's applause, which can't be accidentally interupted.
43 minutes' silence on 22:35 - Aug 27 with 1988 viewsHamptonR

The minutes silence is the best and should be the only choice, unfortunately in this country once again we have taken the easy way out and allowed the minority to take priority.

When someone has passed away we show respect, at a funeral, a remembrance service or wherever but because some people may not want to show respect, we have chosen to applaud, which then gives them (the minority) the chance to clap or not clap.
Would they whoop, shout or boo during a minutes silence, highly unlikely but we need to respect their feelings and give them an easy option!!!!
A few figures have passed away that I didn't necessarily like or respect but I can remain silent for a minute because they were someones son, father or brother.
43 minutes' silence on 22:41 - Aug 27 with 1976 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I agree completely.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

43 minutes' silence on 22:57 - Aug 27 with 1947 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Is it a club decision? I get the impression that they might ask the family of the deceased what they'd prefer. Maybe I'm wrong but perhaps we should find out what the club policy is before criticising?

The Genoa disaster is more comparable to Grenfell I'd have thought?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

43 minutes' silence on 23:04 - Aug 27 with 1937 viewsBluce_Ree

I always assumed the clapping thing was because opposition fans were sometimes dicks about it and so you need to drown them out. Because football fans are often awful.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

43 minutes' silence on 08:12 - Aug 28 with 1751 viewssmegma

Staying silent even when they scored twice takes some doing.
RIP to the 43.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024