Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion 14:30 - Sep 20 with 3029 viewsAntti_Heinola

Clive's column in the programme is one of the few good reads to be had in that publication (as beautifully produced as it is - I just mea it's nice to get an actual opinion rather then Green saying that it's important to keep clean sheets or Austin saying it's nice to score goals).

On Tue, though, his column was all about limiting midweek games to as few as possible. In the same programme, Rodney Marsh talked about how he loved floodlit games at LR and I have to say I come down heavily on Rodney's side on this. I LOVE evening games, the floodlit games. Most of my best memories at LR come from night games (a 3-1 spanking of Southampton when we were irresistible; Oldham; Liverpool 18 months ago; Birmingham and Sammy Di Carmine; Blackstock's season saving volley v Preston etc etc). Something about the lights makes games more atmospheric and memorable.

I understand Clive's point that it can be more difficult to get to them, particularly for away fans, but I'd actually advocate more night games, not less. Love having a quick evening beer with QPR friends after work before the game, love the feeling of looking forward to it all day, love the atmosphere.

Just thought I'd bring it up - anyone else with thoughts on it?

Bare bones.

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:33 - Sep 20 with 3010 viewsWokingR

Not sure you're actually allowed to come on here and disagree with Clive
Move on, nothing to see here
Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:37 - Sep 20 with 2995 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I like them cos if I fancy a game I can just rok up. No Jools at TVC so I have more Tuesday's free. Lekker.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:38 - Sep 20 with 2991 viewsNorthernr

Mate don't get me wrong, I absolutely love an evening game as well.
My point is more about the balance and the distances travelled.
I think with the early start to this season the balance is about right - do we have eight? Four home and four away? That's acceptable. Six ideal but there are only so many dates you can play.
The distances travelled are not. There is no excuse for QPR to have Tuesday night games at Wigan and fcking Blackburn Rovers. There is no excuse for Wigan and Bolton to have Tuesday night games at QPR.

I'm just not having it that a division that has Brighton, Bournemouth, QPR, Charlton, Millwall, Yeovil, Watford, Reading and Ipswich; and then Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Huddersfield, Burnley, Sheff Wed, Doncaster and Middlesbrough; and then another clutch of clubs in the Midlands between the two cannot have it organised so the eight midweek fixtures are played between those groups.

There are some people who like to go to every match and they're the lifeblood of the game as you go down the divisions. Not much casual walk up support at Scunthorpe United and Grimsby. It's simply not right that these people/nutters be asked to take two days off work to go to Wigan on a Tuesday night when QPR have Saturday games with Millwall, Charlton and Reading this season.

Having said that, it is better this season than it has been in the past.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:38 - Sep 20 with 2988 viewsMytch_QPR

I agree that Loftus Rd has a special atmosphere under the lights, although on Weds the place seemed a bit flat because of the pace of the game.

Generally, I suppose it depends on where you live / work. I have to work quite a few Saturdays on a rota, so I miss a lot of games each season. Evening games suit me okay as I can leave work a bit earlier and head up to the Bush from Surrey in time for a 7.45 or 8pm KO.

I should think you'll get split views on this. One thing I really can't stand is the 12.15 kick-offs, as dictated by Sky.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:43 - Sep 20 with 2973 viewsMytch_QPR

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:38 - Sep 20 by Northernr

I think with the early start to this season the balance is about right - do we have eight? Four home and four away? That's acceptable. Six ideal but there are only so many dates you can play.
The distances travelled are not. There is no excuse for QPR to have Tuesday night games at Wigan and fcking Blackburn Rovers. There is no excuse for Wigan and Bolton to have Tuesday night games at QPR.

I'm just not having it that a division that has Brighton, Bournemouth, QPR, Charlton, Millwall, Yeovil, Watford, Reading and Ipswich; and then Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Huddersfield, Burnley, Sheff Wed, Doncaster and Middlesbrough; and then another clutch of clubs in the Midlands between the two cannot have it organised so the eight midweek fixtures are played between those groups.

There are some people who like to go to every match and they're the lifeblood of the game as you go down the divisions. Not much casual walk up support at Scunthorpe United and Grimsby. It's simply not right that these people/nutters be asked to take two days off work to go to Wigan on a Tuesday night when QPR have Saturday games with Millwall, Charlton and Reading this season.

Interesting point about arranging the midweek games on a geographical basis - the trouble is, they're supposed to do that for Boxing Day - Notts Forest this season, and I think it was West Brom last season from memory(?)

As an aside, my wife always puts my footy programmes next to the toilet (reading material, not loo paper). That is in no way a criticism of your column, I should add.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:54 - Sep 20 with 2944 viewsNorthernr

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:43 - Sep 20 by Mytch_QPR

Interesting point about arranging the midweek games on a geographical basis - the trouble is, they're supposed to do that for Boxing Day - Notts Forest this season, and I think it was West Brom last season from memory(?)

As an aside, my wife always puts my footy programmes next to the toilet (reading material, not loo paper). That is in no way a criticism of your column, I should add.

Mate I'm always amazed anybody reads my sht - no pun intended.

Forest away isn't that bad for either a midweek or a Boxing Day game. It's when you get up into Yorkshire, Lancashire and the North East for a Tuesday night fixture that it takes the pis. Two of our four Premier League games with Sunderland were on a Tuesday for goodness sake.
Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:55 - Sep 20 with 2941 viewsAntti_Heinola

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:38 - Sep 20 by Northernr

Fair enough - totally agree with you - no reason why they can't just name the midweek dates and then schedule it so the distances are reasonable. And as someone else says, same should be true for Boxing Day games (although that home game last year with no tubes was a f***ing joke - wouldn't have mattered who we played that day).

Bare bones.

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 15:09 - Sep 20 with 2907 viewsPhildo

I must admit your AKUTRs article made me laugh but could well have you in the running for 'Curmudgeon of the year award'
Login to get fewer ads

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 15:26 - Sep 20 with 2883 viewsNorthernr

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 15:09 - Sep 20 by Phildo

I must admit your AKUTRs article made me laugh but could well have you in the running for 'Curmudgeon of the year award'

I am hoping to retain that for the third straight year at the end of season awards.
Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 15:57 - Sep 20 with 2821 viewsFredManRave

I always felt that evening games were always too rushed. You spend the whole day at work not really looking forward to the game more stressing out about the time you'll be able to leave. It was always a rush and then there was the rush hour tubes to deal with. Get to the pub for time for a quick beer, if lucky. And then after the game there's no after pub meet up as everyone just wants to get home. The actual match is obviously different due to being under the lights etc but I think the atmosphere suffers as well as the majority will have had the same rushed approach to the game which is just so different from the whole Saturday build up. The games mentioned, especially the Oldham and Liverpool ones were classics but that's not to forget the forgetful midweek games with 0 atmosphere and crowds scraping 10.000. It's all about when Saturday comes for me.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2013 15:59]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 16:53 - Sep 20 with 2761 viewsTacticalR

I agree with Green and Austin.

It *is* nice to keep clean sheet and score goals.

Air hostess clique

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 17:22 - Sep 20 with 2728 viewsAntti_Heinola

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 16:53 - Sep 20 by TacticalR

I agree with Green and Austin.

It *is* nice to keep clean sheet and score goals.

If only Green & Austin posted on here. their refreshing honesty and common sense approach would be like a breath of fresh air, much like how a new signing is always a breath of fresh air and how, as a group, it's nice to win games.

Bare bones.

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion (n/t) on 21:33 - Sep 20 with 2593 viewsDWQPR

[Post edited 20 Sep 2013 21:34]

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 21:35 - Sep 20 with 2584 viewsDWQPR

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 15:09 - Sep 20 by Phildo

It's like following the life and times of a young Victor Meldrew

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 23:07 - Sep 20 with 2519 viewsNorthernr

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 21:35 - Sep 20 by DWQPR

It's like following the life and times of a young Victor Meldrew

Not that young any more.
Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 23:54 - Sep 20 with 2500 viewskarl

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 23:07 - Sep 20 by Northernr

Not that young any more.

You must have been doing this a while now Norf?
I can't remember if you took over after Ingham or the two lads (can't remember their names, Ron?) where one ran the forum and the other did match reports etc but I do remember you replying to a plea for admin/moderator and i'm sure you were still at uni or just finishing and were looking to help your journalist career/cv.
Anyhow have to say I really like the way this site has taken shape over the years, obviously a lot to do with the posters, and hopefully will keep on a similar path for years to come.
Arse licking over, it is a wonder as you can be a right misery. Especially about Scottish football!! lol
Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 07:28 - Sep 21 with 2450 viewssmegma

Clive's programme notes - interesting discussion on 14:43 - Sep 20 by Mytch_QPR

My wife touches my programme and she'll get an earful .......Clives spot on regards midweek games and the distances etc. As for games 'under the lights', once the clocks go back next month most games are 'under the lights' until about March anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024