Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
80-something QPR fan from Worthing 12:21 - Aug 1 with 4084 viewsWatford_Ranger

Years ago I used to go in the Bloemfontein Road cafe before games and chatted with an old guy from Worthing who used to do every away match, often having to kip at Gatwick or somewhere after a northern midweeker. I know he made it through Covid but was wondering if anyone knows who I mean and if he’s still with us. I think his name is/was Bill but not sure.
80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:21 - Aug 1 with 3657 viewscolinallcars

I know him. His real name is David Bailey but was known as “Bill” as in Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey. Season ticket holder in SA Road upstairs. I too spoke to him in the cafe and a few times outside the ground.
He was a youth player for the Rs in the fifties.
As you say, he got through Covid. I'm fairly sure I saw him early last season.
Anyone else ? He seemed like a real character.
Edit….he told me he used to live in Loftus Rd down by the old Royal Mail sorting office and had Frank Clarke as a lodger.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 22:29]
80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:30 - Aug 1 with 3631 viewsgigiisourgod

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:21 - Aug 1 by colinallcars

I know him. His real name is David Bailey but was known as “Bill” as in Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey. Season ticket holder in SA Road upstairs. I too spoke to him in the cafe and a few times outside the ground.
He was a youth player for the Rs in the fifties.
As you say, he got through Covid. I'm fairly sure I saw him early last season.
Anyone else ? He seemed like a real character.
Edit….he told me he used to live in Loftus Rd down by the old Royal Mail sorting office and had Frank Clarke as a lodger.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 22:29]

Has he a son called Charlie that he goes to the games with?
80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:33 - Aug 1 with 3612 viewsted_hendrix

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:30 - Aug 1 by gigiisourgod

Has he a son called Charlie that he goes to the games with?

I have never seen him with anyone else whilst In the cafe except sometimes another elderly
bloke he used to go to away games with.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:40 - Aug 1 with 3596 viewsgigiisourgod

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:33 - Aug 1 by ted_hendrix

I have never seen him with anyone else whilst In the cafe except sometimes another elderly

Ooh I must be getting confused, thanks Ted
80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 23:36 - Aug 1 with 3486 viewsQPR_Hibs

There is an ancient looking bloke who I have seen wandering around in Lancing (where I live) near Worthing, wearing a QPR baseball cap. I keep meaning to speak to him. Maybe I will next time.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 23:36]

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 01:19 - Aug 2 with 3386 viewsBoston

Only Rangers will have a fan called David Bailey and no picture of him.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 01:20 - Aug 2 with 3385 viewsBoston

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 23:36 - Aug 1 by QPR_Hibs

There is an ancient looking bloke who I have seen wandering around in Lancing (where I live) near Worthing, wearing a QPR baseball cap. I keep meaning to speak to him. Maybe I will next time.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 23:36]

You bloody better, he won't be around for ever.

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 07:16 - Aug 2 with 3293 viewsingeminate

If it’s the same one - pretty sure it is - he’s an adventure on an away day. Unafraid of upsetting the locals, or anyone else! To be travelling the length and breath at his age on his own is incredible!

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Login to get fewer ads

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 08:57 - Aug 2 with 3107 viewscolinallcars

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 22:33 - Aug 1 by ted_hendrix

I think the other chap was named Norman. He also sat in SA road but stopped going because he broke his ankle. No Balogun jokes please.
80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 10:05 - Aug 2 with 2974 viewsdaveB

there used to be 3 older guys on the coach to away games in the 90's and 00's, always a good laugh, one of them called Derek I think, i still see him at away games now must be in his 80's or 90's but the other 2 I haven't seen for years so guessing they passed away
80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 23:07 - Aug 20 with 2473 viewscolinallcars

A chap I know tells me that David “Bill” Bailey's name has been removed from his seat.
There's something a bit morbid about this. You wonder if they've just got fed up and jacked it all in - or something more sad.
80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 23:17 - Aug 20 with 2441 viewskensalriser

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 23:07 - Aug 20 by colinallcars

A chap I know tells me that David “Bill” Bailey's name has been removed from his seat.
There's something a bit morbid about this. You wonder if they've just got fed up and jacked it all in - or something more sad.

Is there a photo of it?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 23:20 - Aug 20 with 2428 viewsted_hendrix

There was another bloke used to go In the cafe who was a complete nut job but he hardly ever missed a game home or away, apparently he appeared on X Factor or whatever that programme was called and made a right dick of himself, they all made use of the supporters coaches for away games so fair play to them.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 23:46 - Aug 20 with 2360 viewsBoston

Nothing in the west Sussex obit's.

80-something QPR fan from Worthing on 00:30 - Aug 24 with 1820 viewsloftboy

Just read that a fan called Del passed away last week, known him for years mainly through Rangers but 30 odd years ago helped to run Zion Rangers in the Chiswick and district Sunday league, L block probably would know him.
He would always stop for a chat when I saw him outside South Africa road and my kids became quite fond of him.
He had been battling cancer for several years. My trips to HQ will always be a little bit sadder knowing I won’t be able to speak to him again.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024