Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long does Ainsworth get? 11:52 - Apr 2 with 23317 views1JD

- 5 defeats in the opening 6 games.
- A football style that is borderline unwatchable.
- Losses to R’ham, Blackpool, Brum, Wigan.
- Rambling interviews that have same sentences that contradict.
- A decision to radically change the style of play, at a critical juncture, that doesn’t fit the players one bit.

To be frank, I’ve never witnessed such a squad-manager mismatch, and I find the appointment unfathomable on so many levels. A great man, for sure. But never in a million years is this a good fit.

Critchley had 12 games. Ainsworth, by the season end, will have had 13 games.

I’m not sure the players believe in Ainsworth. His methods and philosophies are alien to them. Never been an advocate for a rapid change, but the situation has become absolutely dire. Does the club need to act now to give us a fighting chance? As it stands, we are going down.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 12:08 - Apr 4 with 2127 viewsRs_Holy

How long does Ainsworth get? on 09:28 - Apr 4 by daveB

Even though the results were not good under Holloway we did see a change in mindset, real effort from the team and some small green shoots of recovery, likes of Andy Thompson, Marcus Bignot added something to build on. Sadly i'm not seeing any of that at the moment

Ainsworth came into a tough situation but not into a team in the bottom 3/4, we were 8 points clear of relegation when he came in.

if we go down I'd sack him
[Post edited 4 Apr 2023 9:29]

Wow!... who would be stupid enough to get on the conveyor belt next season...?... Anyone desperate enough?
How long does Ainsworth get? on 12:42 - Apr 4 with 1999 views08olesen

I saw his comments about us overachieving at the start of season and I find that quite frustrating to hear.

We have seen countless times that teams with 'bad' squads finish in the play-offs and teams with 'good squads' finish down the bottom. We have had some pretty average teams finish above mid-table in recent years, this squad should be there too. Lets not just lower our expectations until we fall out the league.

Poll: Who will the other play off

How long does Ainsworth get? on 13:19 - Apr 4 with 1931 viewstoboboly

How long does Ainsworth get? on 12:42 - Apr 4 by 08olesen

I saw his comments about us overachieving at the start of season and I find that quite frustrating to hear.

We have seen countless times that teams with 'bad' squads finish in the play-offs and teams with 'good squads' finish down the bottom. We have had some pretty average teams finish above mid-table in recent years, this squad should be there too. Lets not just lower our expectations until we fall out the league.

I read it more as him managing expectations of the dross he has to work with.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

How long does Ainsworth get? on 13:50 - Apr 4 with 1886 viewsNorthernr

If they were to sack Ainsworth, and not give him next season... I mean I don't see how les' position is tenable after this debacle anyway, but it certainly wouldn't be then.

Nobody, nobody, at QPR could say they didn't go into appointing Gareth Ainsworth with their eyes wide open. Everybody knows what he's about, how his team plays, his style of football. It's why he wasn't appointed here earlier. It's why people at the club would laugh at the idea if you suggested it to them, really right up to the point that they did it. You cannot possibly look at the way the team is playing atm and say "well we didn't expect it to be like that". It was always going to be like this.

To make the appointment anyway you're basically holding your hands up to your strategy not working, and making an active decision to pivot to something else. We tried the player development, we tried the progressive football, we tried appointing coaches rather than managers, and we tried appointing managers that fitted the style of the previous manager so we don't have to tear it up every time - McClaren to Warburton to Beale to Critchley. If you go from that to Ainsworth you're either just lazily pulling the nostalgia lever to get people off your back (quite possible, we've done that loads) or you're holding your hands up to say in this post Covid market player development for sale is not the way to go, and our players are not good enough to play this progressive style out from the back, so we're going in a different direction. A different direction will need time to get players in that suits that new system, because you can't play Ainsworth ball with Andre Dozzell. So to give it a dozen games and no transfer window would just be insane.

The only way you could spin it is by saying "we thought he'd come in as a motivator, and for all his drawbacks he'd at least get us over the line by revving them up a bit, but he couldn't even do that".
How long does Ainsworth get? on 13:54 - Apr 4 with 1868 viewsMonkey_Roots

The next person out of the door is Ferdinand - before any player, coach or Jude the Cat.

Anything else, and I'm taking hostages.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:08 - Apr 4 with 1836 viewsRs_Holy

How long does Ainsworth get? on 13:50 - Apr 4 by Northernr

If they were to sack Ainsworth, and not give him next season... I mean I don't see how les' position is tenable after this debacle anyway, but it certainly wouldn't be then.

Nobody, nobody, at QPR could say they didn't go into appointing Gareth Ainsworth with their eyes wide open. Everybody knows what he's about, how his team plays, his style of football. It's why he wasn't appointed here earlier. It's why people at the club would laugh at the idea if you suggested it to them, really right up to the point that they did it. You cannot possibly look at the way the team is playing atm and say "well we didn't expect it to be like that". It was always going to be like this.

To make the appointment anyway you're basically holding your hands up to your strategy not working, and making an active decision to pivot to something else. We tried the player development, we tried the progressive football, we tried appointing coaches rather than managers, and we tried appointing managers that fitted the style of the previous manager so we don't have to tear it up every time - McClaren to Warburton to Beale to Critchley. If you go from that to Ainsworth you're either just lazily pulling the nostalgia lever to get people off your back (quite possible, we've done that loads) or you're holding your hands up to say in this post Covid market player development for sale is not the way to go, and our players are not good enough to play this progressive style out from the back, so we're going in a different direction. A different direction will need time to get players in that suits that new system, because you can't play Ainsworth ball with Andre Dozzell. So to give it a dozen games and no transfer window would just be insane.

The only way you could spin it is by saying "we thought he'd come in as a motivator, and for all his drawbacks he'd at least get us over the line by revving them up a bit, but he couldn't even do that".

THIS!.... so glad you're here Clive..... saves me spending most of my working day typing stuff... cheers!
[Post edited 4 Apr 2023 14:09]
How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:12 - Apr 4 with 1821 viewsTheChef

I honestly don't think any manager can do that with this bunch of players, at this moment in time.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:19 - Apr 4 with 1793 viewsdaveB

agree with you to a point but I just think if we get relegated from being 8 points clear when he took over and since then seen 2 teams around us have points deductions I don't see how any manager survives that

It would be incredibly harsh on Ainsworth but it was incredibly harsh on Neil Critchley as well, he took over with the team in 7th place and left in 18th so results wise he had to go. If Ainsworth goes from 8 points clear to relegated in just 14 games he has to go as well.

of course Ferdinand should go regardless of if we stay up or not, I think him getting rid of Warbs for Beale was his last roll of the dice and Beale doing the dirty on him has left him hung out to dry
Login to get fewer ads

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:35 - Apr 4 with 1739 views1JD

Option 1 of lazy nostalgia is plausible.
Option 2 doesn’t seem to fit, because, Ainsworth himself in that League of 72 interview, confirmed the “clubs ethos is to bring young talent into the first team”. And “sell players to the premier league”. Suggesting the strategy has not changed.

Option 3 could be that they *thought* a Mr Motivator type is the answer to the squads ‘mentality struggles’. Use the same squad. But deploy motivational input to add some steel. And re-climb the league.

For me, the problem in all of these options is that there is a glaringly obvious squad-vs-manager mismatch. Which was there from day zero.

At the end of the day, this same squad has proven itself capable when matched with the right setup and manager (Warburton, Beale), and extremely incapable when matched with the wrong one (Critchley, Ainsworth). That in itself for me, tin hat on, reflects more positively on Ferdinand. That the squad objectively cannot be all bad - and that recent managers are in fact accountable for the mess we are in.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:41 - Apr 4 with 1724 viewsAntti_Heinola

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:35 - Apr 4 by 1JD

Option 1 of lazy nostalgia is plausible.
Option 2 doesn’t seem to fit, because, Ainsworth himself in that League of 72 interview, confirmed the “clubs ethos is to bring young talent into the first team”. And “sell players to the premier league”. Suggesting the strategy has not changed.

Option 3 could be that they *thought* a Mr Motivator type is the answer to the squads ‘mentality struggles’. Use the same squad. But deploy motivational input to add some steel. And re-climb the league.

For me, the problem in all of these options is that there is a glaringly obvious squad-vs-manager mismatch. Which was there from day zero.

At the end of the day, this same squad has proven itself capable when matched with the right setup and manager (Warburton, Beale), and extremely incapable when matched with the wrong one (Critchley, Ainsworth). That in itself for me, tin hat on, reflects more positively on Ferdinand. That the squad objectively cannot be all bad - and that recent managers are in fact accountable for the mess we are in.

Hmm - we won three of our last 13 under Warbs last season, from end of Feb. We've really only been any good for about 6 weeks in a calendar year.

Bare bones.

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:42 - Apr 4 with 1710 views1JD

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:41 - Apr 4 by Antti_Heinola

Hmm - we won three of our last 13 under Warbs last season, from end of Feb. We've really only been any good for about 6 weeks in a calendar year.

I was reviewing from an overall perspective. Not that I didn’t think it was time for a change under Warbs. But he did a good job overall.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:44 - Apr 4 with 1689 viewsNorthernr

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:19 - Apr 4 by daveB

agree with you to a point but I just think if we get relegated from being 8 points clear when he took over and since then seen 2 teams around us have points deductions I don't see how any manager survives that

It would be incredibly harsh on Ainsworth but it was incredibly harsh on Neil Critchley as well, he took over with the team in 7th place and left in 18th so results wise he had to go. If Ainsworth goes from 8 points clear to relegated in just 14 games he has to go as well.

of course Ferdinand should go regardless of if we stay up or not, I think him getting rid of Warbs for Beale was his last roll of the dice and Beale doing the dirty on him has left him hung out to dry

On Beale and Warburton...

Beale, on paper, not a bad appointment. The guy's an absolute liar, but he got a tune out of this team, he's clearly quite a good manager, you could perhaps give them a hall pass on that. Not a bad idea in theory.

Warburton, look, had money to spend last season, and fcked it with a collapse. Also an argument to say he should have done a lot more with a team that had Wells, Hugill, Eze, BOS and Chair up front, that was in play-off contention, and again collapsed at the end with some very favourable fixtures in the run in. I liked him, I would have kept him, I said that at the time, but you could again make a case. Where I would be critical is my understanding is Warbs was a dead man walking long before the end of last season because relations had broken down, and they'd broken down over stuff like pathways to first team from academy, communication between academy and B Team staff and first team - Warburton basically wasn't having any of them, or any of their players, to the point of not even talking to them, and taking the mick out of how much they were costing us. You'd have to say, looking at what's transpired since, Warburton was right, and it should have been him staying and other people fcking off.

The bigger thing for me with Les now is so much of the stuff that's gone on this season is all the stuff he came in here banging the drum about how that would never happen at QPR again.

I've always been so supportive of him all the way through because I felt like he recognised what the problems were here, and they aligned with what I feel the problems were here, so even if he made mistakes along the way I felt his overall, overarching view of the situation and where he was trying to get us to was right. And yet now we're once again seeing...

- A manager being allowed to sign players he'd worked with before, who then immediately down tools when he leaves.
- A manager sitting in the summer LFW interview talking about the agents he's talking to about deals. We've spent £1m in agent fees over the last 12 months ON THIS TEAM.
- A season collapsing because one manager leaves.
- A squad largely made up of loans.
- Zero players from any of the Bs, U23s, U18s anywhere near capable of playing for the first team. To the extent we can win two of 24 games, with ten injuries, and still none of them are capable of coming in to help.
- Loads and loads and loads of 20-somethings on great, long contracts, never involved in the first team and never going to be. We're back in the situation where we've just got loads of footballers earning a nice living, just kicking around the place, never going to play for us.
- Having to spend money getting in washed up wastes like Chris Martin because of all of the above.
- Player behaviour, and how they represent the club. Some of the stories going around are infuriating. The big Saturday nights out after defeats, the badmouthing of managers in front of supporters, players booting off with the away fans after matches. Right down to little petty stuff like some of the injured players come to the game in club attire, and some don't - because presumably they're above that, or think they are. This was happening last season too, with Andre Gray, with Charlie Austin being allowed to go and sulk in the Ellerslie Road stand because he's been subbed in the FA Cup game. All of this is the sort of stuff he inherited and said would never be the case here again.
- Spending money we don't have, gambling to get a promotion, leaving us shafted when it doesn't materialise.

This is all the stuff he came here to clean up, and it's all here again on his watch. Heartbreaking really.

This post has been edited by an administrator
How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:13 - Apr 4 with 1578 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A lot of great posts on here. I'm just not sure we should be talking about it now when the only thing, the only thing, that matters now is survival in this division.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:13 - Apr 4 with 1575 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:44 - Apr 4 by Northernr

On Beale and Warburton...

Beale, on paper, not a bad appointment. The guy's an absolute liar, but he got a tune out of this team, he's clearly quite a good manager, you could perhaps give them a hall pass on that. Not a bad idea in theory.

Warburton, look, had money to spend last season, and fcked it with a collapse. Also an argument to say he should have done a lot more with a team that had Wells, Hugill, Eze, BOS and Chair up front, that was in play-off contention, and again collapsed at the end with some very favourable fixtures in the run in. I liked him, I would have kept him, I said that at the time, but you could again make a case. Where I would be critical is my understanding is Warbs was a dead man walking long before the end of last season because relations had broken down, and they'd broken down over stuff like pathways to first team from academy, communication between academy and B Team staff and first team - Warburton basically wasn't having any of them, or any of their players, to the point of not even talking to them, and taking the mick out of how much they were costing us. You'd have to say, looking at what's transpired since, Warburton was right, and it should have been him staying and other people fcking off.

The bigger thing for me with Les now is so much of the stuff that's gone on this season is all the stuff he came in here banging the drum about how that would never happen at QPR again.

I've always been so supportive of him all the way through because I felt like he recognised what the problems were here, and they aligned with what I feel the problems were here, so even if he made mistakes along the way I felt his overall, overarching view of the situation and where he was trying to get us to was right. And yet now we're once again seeing...

- A manager being allowed to sign players he'd worked with before, who then immediately down tools when he leaves.
- A manager sitting in the summer LFW interview talking about the agents he's talking to about deals. We've spent £1m in agent fees over the last 12 months ON THIS TEAM.
- A season collapsing because one manager leaves.
- A squad largely made up of loans.
- Zero players from any of the Bs, U23s, U18s anywhere near capable of playing for the first team. To the extent we can win two of 24 games, with ten injuries, and still none of them are capable of coming in to help.
- Loads and loads and loads of 20-somethings on great, long contracts, never involved in the first team and never going to be. We're back in the situation where we've just got loads of footballers earning a nice living, just kicking around the place, never going to play for us.
- Having to spend money getting in washed up wastes like Chris Martin because of all of the above.
- Player behaviour, and how they represent the club. Some of the stories going around are infuriating. The big Saturday nights out after defeats, the badmouthing of managers in front of supporters, players booting off with the away fans after matches. Right down to little petty stuff like some of the injured players come to the game in club attire, and some don't - because presumably they're above that, or think they are. This was happening last season too, with Andre Gray, with Charlie Austin being allowed to go and sulk in the Ellerslie Road stand because he's been subbed in the FA Cup game. All of this is the sort of stuff he inherited and said would never be the case here again.
- Spending money we don't have, gambling to get a promotion, leaving us shafted when it doesn't materialise.

This is all the stuff he came here to clean up, and it's all here again on his watch. Heartbreaking really.

This post has been edited by an administrator

It's impossible to argue with that.

Put simply - The board recognised long ago that they had no idea how to run a football operation and brought in someone to do it.

Here we are just over 8 years later, having suffered one relegation, achieved zero playoff appearances, squandered parachute payments, squandered Eze transfer income, with all the issues you've detailed, about to be relegated to league one.

We don't even know If the plan is the right one because it hasn't been executed well enough to find out. His position is completely untenable.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:36 - Apr 4 with 1505 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:13 - Apr 4 by Padulas_Shampoo

Put simply - The board recognised long ago that they had no idea how to run a football operation and brought in someone to do it.

Here we are just over 8 years later, having suffered one relegation, achieved zero playoff appearances, squandered parachute payments, squandered Eze transfer income, with all the issues you've detailed, about to be relegated to league one.

We don't even know If the plan is the right one because it hasn't been executed well enough to find out. His position is completely untenable.

It's so frustrating as it was all going to plan, developing players and selling on, did with Smithies, Freeman and Furlong then the big one in Eze, used the money reasonably well in getting Willock, Dickie and Dykes who you'd have thought would all be sellable and then a combination of covid killing the market and a few bad transfer windows leaves us back where we started 8 years ago

As Clive said it's heartbreaking
How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:37 - Apr 4 with 1500 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:13 - Apr 4 by BrianMcCarthy

A lot of great posts on here. I'm just not sure we should be talking about it now when the only thing, the only thing, that matters now is survival in this division.

for all my doom and gloom I do hope we get a few wins from somewhere, stay up and start again in the summer, I don't like being the miserable one
How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:42 - Apr 4 with 1481 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:37 - Apr 4 by daveB

for all my doom and gloom I do hope we get a few wins from somewhere, stay up and start again in the summer, I don't like being the miserable one

I don't like seeing so many of ye miserable.
I think about ye far more than I do players or club staff.

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:57 - Apr 4 with 1433 viewsjoe90

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:13 - Apr 4 by BrianMcCarthy

The thing is survival isn't all that matters. If we don't sort out the root cause we'll end up back in the same place next season. We can't keep going like this.

Even if we win Friday we're still in trouble.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2023 16:04]
How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:14 - Apr 4 with 1407 viewsAndybrat

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:36 - Apr 4 by daveB

It's so frustrating as it was all going to plan, developing players and selling on, did with Smithies, Freeman and Furlong then the big one in Eze, used the money reasonably well in getting Willock, Dickie and Dykes who you'd have thought would all be sellable and then a combination of covid killing the market and a few bad transfer windows leaves us back where we started 8 years ago

As Clive said it's heartbreaking

I remember jokingly saying to my mate Belchers after the Willock goal against Boro, “ Goal of the season 10 minutes into the season and at half time it doesn’t get any better then that” Should have taken a bet. What I’m getting at and seen on so many posts, we actually have a competitive 1st 15. Beale was the right appointment, we all know that, what we didn’t know was the character behind the person. He is patently a better manager than Critchley and Gareth but with Gareth I think we know the character. Is miles better than Beale. I have no answer because the players were so bought in to Beale which now is like having an extra player in the oppo dugout. With the players we have only a GA can get them out of this stupor, not a Beale impersonator. Annoyingly I am an eternal optimist and think ( assuming we stay up) next season won’t be as painful, which won’t be hard. See you Friday guys and bring your voices
How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:26 - Apr 4 with 1375 viewsMonkey_Roots

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:19 - Apr 4 by daveB

I dunno Dave, the rot had started, he's just not been able to stop it.

That's like the Titanic hitting the iceberg, the captain immediately hands the wheelhouse over to his first mate, then the first mate gets the sack because the ship sunk... assuming that he survived the sinking etc etc.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:31 - Apr 4 with 1362 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:57 - Apr 4 by joe90

The thing is survival isn't all that matters. If we don't sort out the root cause we'll end up back in the same place next season. We can't keep going like this.

Even if we win Friday we're still in trouble.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2023 16:04]

I agree with that too, Joe. 100%.
But - for now - Championship survival is all that matters. IMO, of course.

How long does Ainsworth get? on 17:00 - Apr 4 with 1293 viewshighleverhoopL

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:13 - Apr 4 by Padulas_Shampoo

For some bizarre reason they brought in the Spurs strikers coach to run the entire football side of QPR. Like the reappointment of Holloway, something no other club would have considered for a nanosecond.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 17:30 - Apr 4 with 1219 viewsterryb

This thread has surprised me with how reasoned most of the posts have been. Also, how some people have taken a different view to what I expected from them!

FWIW I was always opposed to Gareth Ainsworth being appointed as manager, but thought that he was the only credible candidate to replace Neil Critchley. Nothing yet has altered that view, although the "football" that we have displayed was worse than I had imagined & that Gareth looks just as lost on the touchline as he did as our stand in under Briatore.

I also feel that relegation should not cost him his job, just as Les Allen, Ray Wilkins & Ian Holloway were retained after going down with an inherited team. It was the same situation with Harold, but I can't include him as the man totally revolts me!

However, I don't think that Gareth should be immune to dismissal just because he is a good person & a Rangers "legend". He should be judged by the same criteria as that which saw Mullery, T Francis, Waddock, Gregory, Dowie, Ramsey, Hasselbaink, Maclaren ( among others) leave the club.

For most of the time they have been with the club, I've been supportive of Hoos & Ferdinand (although sugesting that we can't afford both), but regretably I've reached the conclusion that both have exceeded their time with the club.

God knows who or how we should replace them, whether it is both positions or changing our managment structure, but I sugest that this must be decided/done before any change of team manager is discussed.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 17:31 - Apr 4 with 1219 viewsGloucs_R

Can't we go back to Rangers having amazing wide men, Fereday, Sinton, Impey, Sinclair, Cook...

That's the only thing I can hope for under the current regime.

Poll: Are we staying up?

How long does Ainsworth get? on 18:02 - Apr 4 with 1163 viewsThird_Division_South

I think our only way forward now is to get rid of LF and go all in with Ainsworth and let him rebuild the whole squad. Keeping any of the present lot he considers up for it and clearing out all the others including theU23s and B team. Then go about bringing in players prepared to put in a proper shift regardless of age/sell on so we can at least start next season with a team that will give 100%.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024