Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long does Ainsworth get? 11:52 - Apr 2 with 23318 views1JD

- 5 defeats in the opening 6 games.
- A football style that is borderline unwatchable.
- Losses to R’ham, Blackpool, Brum, Wigan.
- Rambling interviews that have same sentences that contradict.
- A decision to radically change the style of play, at a critical juncture, that doesn’t fit the players one bit.

To be frank, I’ve never witnessed such a squad-manager mismatch, and I find the appointment unfathomable on so many levels. A great man, for sure. But never in a million years is this a good fit.

Critchley had 12 games. Ainsworth, by the season end, will have had 13 games.

I’m not sure the players believe in Ainsworth. His methods and philosophies are alien to them. Never been an advocate for a rapid change, but the situation has become absolutely dire. Does the club need to act now to give us a fighting chance? As it stands, we are going down.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 18:20 - Apr 4 with 2411 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 18:02 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

I think our only way forward now is to get rid of LF and go all in with Ainsworth and let him rebuild the whole squad. Keeping any of the present lot he considers up for it and clearing out all the others including theU23s and B team. Then go about bringing in players prepared to put in a proper shift regardless of age/sell on so we can at least start next season with a team that will give 100%.

would be a bold move to let Ainsworth scrap the players he doesn't rate in the first team, under 23s and B team and sign who he wants given his record so far.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 18:29 - Apr 4 with 2372 viewsThird_Division_South

How long does Ainsworth get? on 18:20 - Apr 4 by daveB

would be a bold move to let Ainsworth scrap the players he doesn't rate in the first team, under 23s and B team and sign who he wants given his record so far.

Well his record at Wycombe with a minuscule budget compared to Ipswich, Sheff Wed etc and still getting into or on the verge of the playoffs shows he must be able to identify decent players
How long does Ainsworth get? on 19:20 - Apr 4 with 2260 viewsRangersw12

I would hope going forwards we go balls deep with the analytic route and all the signings are through the the recruitment team

We can't allow a manager to dictate the signings as we sack manager too often
How long does Ainsworth get? on 19:29 - Apr 4 with 2232 views1JD

How long does Ainsworth get? on 18:29 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

Well his record at Wycombe with a minuscule budget compared to Ipswich, Sheff Wed etc and still getting into or on the verge of the playoffs shows he must be able to identify decent players

If you look deeper and understand how Wycombe were set up for 11 years, you would see that the players recruited under Ainsworth were a. Older pros and b. Functional.

Mehmeti was an anomaly. Your David Wheelers, Josh Scowens are the norm. Functional players that work hard. And together with older pros like Akinfenwa, Joe Jacobson, David Stockdale, making up 90%+ of the starting line up over the years.

The problem is this is NOT an approach that works for QPRs business model.

Whilst it proves Ainsworth “works well on no budget” in League 1., it doesn’t prove he can deliver what we need him to do in the championship.

Which is actually the opposite. 1. Young players and 2. Technical players. Because that’s what the premier league buys and that’s what we need to produce.

Ainsworth in fact has no experience of doing so, so trusting him to re-build a squad that needs to do exactly that, is highly questionable, and risky, to say the least
How long does Ainsworth get? on 19:53 - Apr 4 with 2155 viewsThird_Division_South

How long does Ainsworth get? on 19:29 - Apr 4 by 1JD

If you look deeper and understand how Wycombe were set up for 11 years, you would see that the players recruited under Ainsworth were a. Older pros and b. Functional.

Mehmeti was an anomaly. Your David Wheelers, Josh Scowens are the norm. Functional players that work hard. And together with older pros like Akinfenwa, Joe Jacobson, David Stockdale, making up 90%+ of the starting line up over the years.

The problem is this is NOT an approach that works for QPRs business model.

Whilst it proves Ainsworth “works well on no budget” in League 1., it doesn’t prove he can deliver what we need him to do in the championship.

Which is actually the opposite. 1. Young players and 2. Technical players. Because that’s what the premier league buys and that’s what we need to produce.

Ainsworth in fact has no experience of doing so, so trusting him to re-build a squad that needs to do exactly that, is highly questionable, and risky, to say the least

But that market has now largely collapsed. Apart from the once in a generation Ezes the premier league teams are not signing from the Championship. Luton and Millwall are not signing players for the future, they are signing players who can go straight into the first team and improve it and they’re both in the playoffs. By definition, if we keep signing these young, technical players who need to develop our first team is never going to be able to compete with the types of teams I mentioned above and they’re going to keep beating us up on the pitch and winning against us.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 20:00 - Apr 4 with 2137 views1JD

How long does Ainsworth get? on 19:53 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

But that market has now largely collapsed. Apart from the once in a generation Ezes the premier league teams are not signing from the Championship. Luton and Millwall are not signing players for the future, they are signing players who can go straight into the first team and improve it and they’re both in the playoffs. By definition, if we keep signing these young, technical players who need to develop our first team is never going to be able to compete with the types of teams I mentioned above and they’re going to keep beating us up on the pitch and winning against us.

The championship-to-championship market has largely collapsed - the 5-8m deals. But the premier league 10-25m deals are still there to be had.

Which is why it’s imperative- to the future of QPR - that we produce this type of talent. It is not a question of shall we or shan’t we. We have no choice. The business model necessitates it. It’s not enough to produce a team that tries hard on a Saturday afternoon and gets some decent results along the way.

Furthermore, it remains the strategy of QPR, as confirmed by Ainsworth himself in a recent interview. We are targeting the development of young players, and players who can be sold to the prem.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 20:32 - Apr 4 with 2075 viewsThird_Division_South

How long does Ainsworth get? on 20:00 - Apr 4 by 1JD

The championship-to-championship market has largely collapsed - the 5-8m deals. But the premier league 10-25m deals are still there to be had.

Which is why it’s imperative- to the future of QPR - that we produce this type of talent. It is not a question of shall we or shan’t we. We have no choice. The business model necessitates it. It’s not enough to produce a team that tries hard on a Saturday afternoon and gets some decent results along the way.

Furthermore, it remains the strategy of QPR, as confirmed by Ainsworth himself in a recent interview. We are targeting the development of young players, and players who can be sold to the prem.

Sorry but I’m still not buying it. If we’re running a first team on the slender chance of discovering a £10-25M player and not by employing the best first team possible we are setting ourselves up for season after season of mediocrity. Surely the best business model is to get into the playoffs and promoted into the PL, that’s Luton’s model and it’s doing pretty well.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 21:05 - Apr 4 with 1997 viewsThe_Beast1976

How long does Ainsworth get? on 20:00 - Apr 4 by 1JD

Is that all we're worth? Is that what we're aiming to become? An effin feeder club to the Premiershite? Really? May as well pack the club up now then. I'd rather start again than become that.

Agree with the other poster regarding making our firsg team as strong as possible. That's the whole point of the leagues, cups, and team sports in general surely?
Login to get fewer ads

How long does Ainsworth get? on 21:09 - Apr 4 with 1993 views1JD

How long does Ainsworth get? on 20:32 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

Sorry but I’m still not buying it. If we’re running a first team on the slender chance of discovering a £10-25M player and not by employing the best first team possible we are setting ourselves up for season after season of mediocrity. Surely the best business model is to get into the playoffs and promoted into the PL, that’s Luton’s model and it’s doing pretty well.

Well, I believe that’s the ultimate plan, but it can’t be the only plan as it could be seasons of trying.

So in the meantime, the strategy is to develop talent and reinvest. In terms of you not buying it, this information is not from me, it’s from the club. They’ve explained this countless times, and most recently, it was specified by Ainsworth himself right at the closing / summary part of this interview.

How long does Ainsworth get? on 21:59 - Apr 4 with 1900 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 21:05 - Apr 4 by The_Beast1976

Is that all we're worth? Is that what we're aiming to become? An effin feeder club to the Premiershite? Really? May as well pack the club up now then. I'd rather start again than become that.

Agree with the other poster regarding making our firsg team as strong as possible. That's the whole point of the leagues, cups, and team sports in general surely?

I think the idea is you sell players on and use the money to get better then sell again and repeat until you have a side good enough to go up and be in a position where the players you sell are worth fortunes and the players you bring in take you further each time. Pretty much what brighton are doing if it's done well.

Whatever changes we make in the summer thats still pretty much the only way to survive by developing players and selling them on
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:00 - Apr 4 with 1899 viewstraininvain

How long does Ainsworth get? on 19:20 - Apr 4 by Rangersw12

I would hope going forwards we go balls deep with the analytic route and all the signings are through the the recruitment team

We can't allow a manager to dictate the signings as we sack manager too often

Surely this is the biggest lesson from the past 12 months. What happens if we back Ainsworth to sign all his players and it doesn’t work out. Let’s not kid ourselves that Ainsworth will stay in charge irrespective of results and given our current form and track record there’s a good chance he’ll be gone by the end of the year.

We can’t allow the club to end up in this mess again with a load of players who signed for one manager and soon find themselves playing for a new manager with different ideas. Genuinely think we could drop through the divisions if this is allowed to happen.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:00 - Apr 4 with 1897 viewsThird_Division_South

I appreciate it’s not your view but the clubs but they’ve been saying this for years and it hasn’t worked.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:02 - Apr 4 with 1892 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 18:29 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

He did a good job at Wycombe and used his budget well but as pointed out on this thread when you see the players he brought in and the lack of resale value I'm not sure it's going to make things any better
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:04 - Apr 4 with 1876 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 20:32 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

Luton have sold on some players for big money and reinvested well which is what we need to do and what we were doing upto the Eze sale
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:21 - Apr 4 with 1798 views1JD

How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:00 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

I appreciate it’s not your view but the clubs but they’ve been saying this for years and it hasn’t worked.

It looked like it player sales model had started to build momentum, but recently it has definitely not delivered. The fact it is not currently working does not mean it will be ripped up and something else tried.

There is nothing else - all clubs in the football pyramid beneath the prem are trying to fatten up pigs for market. There is simply no other model. So it’s a case of try, and try again. Until you get it right. Or at least get better at it. Through whatever means.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:28 - Apr 4 with 1770 viewsozexile

How long does Ainsworth get? on 19:53 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

Too true
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:34 - Apr 4 with 1757 views1JD

How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:28 - Apr 4 by ozexile

Too true

Millwall ARE producing young talent - 4 academy products in the first team.

- Billy Michell - CM
- Danny McNamara - RB
- Tyler Burey - Winger
- Romain Esse - 17 year old attacker

And they are signing young players

- Zian Fleming - 24, signed for 2m in the summer.

There are several other younger players they have recruited also.

The difference is they are doing it better than us.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:34 - Apr 4 with 1756 viewsDejR_vu

How long does Ainsworth get? on 13:50 - Apr 4 by Northernr

If they were to sack Ainsworth, and not give him next season... I mean I don't see how les' position is tenable after this debacle anyway, but it certainly wouldn't be then.

Nobody, nobody, at QPR could say they didn't go into appointing Gareth Ainsworth with their eyes wide open. Everybody knows what he's about, how his team plays, his style of football. It's why he wasn't appointed here earlier. It's why people at the club would laugh at the idea if you suggested it to them, really right up to the point that they did it. You cannot possibly look at the way the team is playing atm and say "well we didn't expect it to be like that". It was always going to be like this.

To make the appointment anyway you're basically holding your hands up to your strategy not working, and making an active decision to pivot to something else. We tried the player development, we tried the progressive football, we tried appointing coaches rather than managers, and we tried appointing managers that fitted the style of the previous manager so we don't have to tear it up every time - McClaren to Warburton to Beale to Critchley. If you go from that to Ainsworth you're either just lazily pulling the nostalgia lever to get people off your back (quite possible, we've done that loads) or you're holding your hands up to say in this post Covid market player development for sale is not the way to go, and our players are not good enough to play this progressive style out from the back, so we're going in a different direction. A different direction will need time to get players in that suits that new system, because you can't play Ainsworth ball with Andre Dozzell. So to give it a dozen games and no transfer window would just be insane.

The only way you could spin it is by saying "we thought he'd come in as a motivator, and for all his drawbacks he'd at least get us over the line by revving them up a bit, but he couldn't even do that".

Hallelujah.

The bloke’s incompetence has absolutely crucified this club. We’ve wasted almost an entire decade.

He’s pulled the owners’ pants down just like the others. No way was he ever qualified for the job and it was obvious from the off he didn’t have a clue. The fact he’s still here after this sh1tshow of all sh1tshows speaks volumes.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

How long does Ainsworth get? on 02:04 - Apr 5 with 1628 viewsozexile

How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:34 - Apr 4 by 1JD

- Billy Michell - CM
- Danny McNamara - RB
- Tyler Burey - Winger

My point was about the Market collapsing for sales.

Millwall haven't sold them yet, they may regress and be worthless like ours.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 05:04 - Apr 5 with 1569 viewsBushRanger82

Yes, the style of football being played is rubbish.

But, these players we have now, would turn any style of play applied to them, to utter shite.

The manager isn't the problem.
The style of play isn't the problem.
The calibre of player we have, that's the problem.
The inept hierarchy at the club, that's the problem.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 07:14 - Apr 5 with 1508 viewsQPROslo

I don't think continual changing the Manager is helping us at all. We had a good Manager in Warburton, who had us upper mid-table for his 3 seasons, and should have been kept on if he wanted it. I didn't see the point in firing Critchley, and now we've gone with Ainsworth we need to give him some time too.

By far our biggest problem this season and the last part of last season has been the huge number of injuries to key players. Despite everyone seeming to have a need to blame someone for that, I doubt anyone is really to blame. Many teams have huge injury problems too but often seem to have better back-up options. We are going into half season after half season with too few capable central defenders, backs, wide men and strikers, probably because we are trying to keep in line with FFP and at the same haven't been able for a while to bring through enough youngsters to fill the gaps when first team regulars are out.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 08:54 - Apr 5 with 1366 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Think back to when we brought in Austin and Johansen. Meant to be a temporary fix to a problem but became a millstone around our neck when we signed them permanently as neither was the player they were even five years ago (surprise, surprise).

This exemplifies the laziness and incompetence of the hierarchy. They should have been identifying young prospects to fill these positions at the end of the loans rather than signing players who had no resale value and were clearly at the latter end of their careers. That's why the likes of Luton and Millwall are where they are and we're where we are in a nutshell. Laziness and incompetence.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 09:50 - Apr 5 with 1266 viewsTK1

How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:34 - Apr 4 by 1JD

- Billy Michell - CM
- Danny McNamara - RB
- Tyler Burey - Winger

I agree with you that there's no way Ainsworth should rip up the playing squads at every level.

OF COURSE NOT. He wouldn't want to, not would he be able to. QPR have not just built an enormous training ground at huge cost to rip up their youth football program and concentrate on the first team squad of 22. Did anyone watch the training ground walk-through video? 'Alright lads, knock down that wing of the building, we won't be needing the youth changing rooms or classrooms
or gym...Gareth Ainsworth's taking over.'

But also, yes, Millwall's first team are having a good season. They've a better, more wily Championship manager than any of the three we've appointed, one Les Ferdinand has long coveted (though I do remember dismantling them at The Den).

But we are competitive with them at U21 (B) level and particularly at U18s, where QPR have a good crop of whom much is hoped. And yes, those are decent players they've brought through their youth that you've mentioned. I'm not sure they will enjoy substantially better careers than Dieng, Chair, Kakay (stop laughing). I mean, Romain Esse has played less than ten games. Is he going to be a better, more valuable player than Sinclair Armstrong? It's impossible to tell.

And yeah, Fleming looks a great Championship player. Same age as Sam Field, and a bit more expensive, a year younger than Chris Willock who looked a cut above everyone at this level (including Fleming) and would have been sold for big wedge no doubt if his hamstring hadn't snapped. Unlucky. Not bad judgement.

The difference between the clubs is not the youth scouting, nor the set-up, nor anymore the pathway (which is why Warbs had to go). It's the first team management. Which brings us back to your original post.

But for better or worse, we have to give the man a pre-season with his own first team squad, though not one he exclusively signs. That's the program.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 09:54 - Apr 5 with 1255 viewsterryb

How long does Ainsworth get? on 07:14 - Apr 5 by QPROslo

I don't think continual changing the Manager is helping us at all. We had a good Manager in Warburton, who had us upper mid-table for his 3 seasons, and should have been kept on if he wanted it. I didn't see the point in firing Critchley, and now we've gone with Ainsworth we need to give him some time too.

By far our biggest problem this season and the last part of last season has been the huge number of injuries to key players. Despite everyone seeming to have a need to blame someone for that, I doubt anyone is really to blame. Many teams have huge injury problems too but often seem to have better back-up options. We are going into half season after half season with too few capable central defenders, backs, wide men and strikers, probably because we are trying to keep in line with FFP and at the same haven't been able for a while to bring through enough youngsters to fill the gaps when first team regulars are out.

We will have to disagree as to our biggest problem this season!

To me it has been far too many players not giving their all. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are not trying, but there are not many that I could look at & not question as to whether thay have given everything to the cause*. This even includes players like Dykes, Dunne etc who have gone awol at times, even though they generally give their best.

However, the biggest problem is the five loanees. Every one of these have looked as if they are performing for themselves (at best) & not for the team. Even at the start of the season when Laird looked unplayable, he was still pulling out of all 50/50 challenges. It takes a player of good character to give everything to a club they have been loaned to, & IMO they all lack that attribute.

* They may not be good enough, but Kakay, Drewe & Field are all that pass my test. A case could be made out for Chair & Armstrong, but both of those have resorted to sulking at times. I'm sure others care, but have let the situation drag them down.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 10:23 - Apr 5 with 1206 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 22:00 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

It's stopped working as we stopped selling players, Chair and Dieng should have been sold last summer, Dickie the year before but we hung on and they are all worth nothing now

I say that like it's easy of course the market for championship players dying on its arse played a big part as well
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024