Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Erm............... 22:26 - Dec 12 with 35764 viewskropotkin41

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/121213-new-stadium-plans-1232327.aspx

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Erm............... on 15:54 - Dec 13 with 2134 viewswombat

Erm............... on 15:21 - Dec 13 by Konk

Arsenal being a loud crowdbefore their move, made me chuckle. It wasn't known as the Highbury library for nothing.

lucky some of our owners own there very own hotel chain dont you think !!

im looking forward to it mostly , not looking forward to the treck there until the new stations are built ten years later though or trapsing across the scrubbs to east acton get onto a central line train after a game

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Erm............... on 15:56 - Dec 13 with 2124 viewsstevec

Erm............... on 14:58 - Dec 13 by Rangersw12

Can you translate that please ?

How about just having a 30k stadium instead of 40k stadium not rocket science is it

I doubt the cost of building a 30k stadium would be much less than a 40k stadium.

Fulham playing in front of 2500 fans was a regular friday night for them in the late 70's, Chelsea playing to less than 10,000. No shame in thinking big.
Erm............... on 15:57 - Dec 13 with 2124 viewsPinnerPaul

Arsenal being a loud crowdbefore their move, made me chuckle. It wasn't known as the Highbury library for nothing.

and you wouldn't say that the new Cardiff and Southampton stadiums have been disasters
Erm............... on 16:25 - Dec 13 with 2076 viewsizlingtonhoop

It was.
The absolute nothing you got there in terms of atmosphere.
Just like the Effeminates now, only now you get more nothing.
Erm............... on 16:25 - Dec 13 with 2075 viewshoof_hearted

There's plenty of atmosphere at the new grounds when they build them properly and the team do well. Emirates was rocking last weekend by the sound coming out of my telly. On the other hand the atmosphere at LR last Saturday was damp squib like, to say the least.
Erm............... on 16:28 - Dec 13 with 2056 viewsRangersw12

Erm............... on 15:56 - Dec 13 by stevec

I doubt the cost of building a 30k stadium would be much less than a 40k stadium.

Fulham playing in front of 2500 fans was a regular friday night for them in the late 70's, Chelsea playing to less than 10,000. No shame in thinking big.

Chelsea were always fickle and would have 8-10 k one week and 40k the next

Fulham crowds went down because they were terrible for years and it has taken them 20 years to get gates like they have today
Erm............... on 16:34 - Dec 13 with 2028 viewsizlingtonhoop

Erm............... on 16:25 - Dec 13 by hoof_hearted

There's plenty of atmosphere at the new grounds when they build them properly and the team do well. Emirates was rocking last weekend by the sound coming out of my telly. On the other hand the atmosphere at LR last Saturday was damp squib like, to say the least.

I think you're probably right.
I actually really like the place as a place to watch football, and think it is built properly in that respect. Trouble is it's full of non-Izzers from St Albans who couldn't whip up an atmosphere at a Motorhead gig.
Last week there were a few thousand Mickeys just made a comeback - there's your atmosphere...
Thought we did pretty well there too, last season.
As for a few thousand **ob-heads from Stevenage holding up red cards when Mbia was ordered off, I feel sick with embarrassment for them as I write and remember.
Whatever happens to us such things must be banned - and that goes for your clappers too Konk.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2013 16:39]
Erm............... on 16:34 - Dec 13 with 2025 viewshoof_hearted

Erm............... on 16:28 - Dec 13 by Rangersw12

Chelsea were always fickle and would have 8-10 k one week and 40k the next

Fulham crowds went down because they were terrible for years and it has taken them 20 years to get gates like they have today

It's the success Chelsea had in the fifties and seventies that got the supporters who are now fickle. We have very few fickle fans because we have had no sustained successful period with which to build a fickle fanbase.
Login to get fewer ads

Erm............... on 16:44 - Dec 13 with 2007 viewsngbqpr

Erm............... on 16:34 - Dec 13 by hoof_hearted

It's the success Chelsea had in the fifties and seventies that got the supporters who are now fickle. We have very few fickle fans because we have had no sustained successful period with which to build a fickle fanbase.

and we get bigger crowds now than we often did in the 80s / early 90s in the top flight...maybe partly due to crowds rising in general, even outside the Prem...and also those of us who grew up in the 60s & 70s bringing our kids up in the faith even tho for the most part it's been through thin & thin

Non-fickle diehards = a good starting point

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Erm............... on 16:47 - Dec 13 with 2004 viewsstansleftfoot

This is great news on many levels, it secures long term participation from Tony Fernandes and his business partners, it may also add further business partners. The risk to QPR was that the cost of running and developing the Club would be beyond one man.
A new stadium within two miles of the Clubs home is nothing short of miraculous in one of the worlds most expensive cities.
The potential to grow QPR into an established Premiership side is improved and the delay in getting planning permissions, and building the Stadium and supporting infrastructure of three to four years allows the club to make long term decisions in relation to bringing players in and replacing Harry Redknapp or not.
Whether the venue is 25k or 40K will depend not on QPR's current followers but those in the future, and it will also depend on what other entertainments can be hosted at the Venue.
Football Clubs develop by becoming embedded in local communities, most QPR fans have mostly, i suspect, moved away from Shepherds Bush some years ago, Loftus Road is a Victorian Gem that has held up QPR's development for many years, it can now repay it's fans loyalty by bringing in cash from its sale.
Tony Fernandes drives his businesses by making high quality products accessible by very competitive pricing strategies...it will work in Football as well as it does in Hotels and Airlines....Populous, the contracted architects are innovative and they will be given a wish-list, the Board and Phillip Beard have all indicated the value of atmosphere, all they can do is build the Stadium its down to the manager, players and fans to get the place rocking.
Erm............... on 17:21 - Dec 13 with 1941 viewsessextaxiboy

Erm............... on 16:34 - Dec 13 by hoof_hearted

Excess fickling .. 1 infraction point
Erm............... on 17:24 - Dec 13 with 1930 viewsAgedR

I can see both sides (which is not currently the case if I'm stuck behind a pylon in SAR).

We can't stand still. It's the only way we can compete. It's what attracted TF to invest in the first place. The premier league is the place to be. We can attract new supporters. LR is run down. We can be a global brand.

It will be better for children and new supporters.

We have a chance to refresh our identity.

Or

What exactly is progress? Does it mean a desperate rush to 40 points to avoid financial Armageddon every year, foresaking all cups (not that that has particular relevance)?

Although getting to the premier league was a fabulous journey, wasn't it all a shocking let down when we got there (perhaps explaining why we are not more excited at our progress this year)?

We still are unlikely to compete, but, the Rangers gallows humour will be vent in somewhere where you can't buy a decent pint, as opposed to the most varied choices we have now around Uxbridge Rd and other surrounding areas within walking distance of the ground.

The stadium 'complex' will surely be built on attached rented space for retail outlets and have other events as it's core revenue stream.

We won't be able to really get in the face of the oppo.

No one will be able to kick the ball over the Elleslie Rd stand.

What does QPR mean, what is our identity?

Personally, I don't buy in to the growth at all costs culture. While championing choice, you end up with no choice (look how all shopping centres are exactly the same country wide now). I don't think this is progress, because I don't accept the definition of progress as commodification of experience.

Whatever you think, it still beats having any association with the scum

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Erm............... on 17:28 - Dec 13 with 1921 viewshopphoops

Speaking as a 6'2" occasional, I'm well up for this move. Of course I miss LR all the time I'm not there, but I bet i'm not alone in having dreamed for decades (real actual dreams, not just daydreams) about how Rangers could play in the most elegant, fantastical, characterful and unique stadium in football, a ground that fans of clubs from Trabzon to Valparaiso will dream of just seeing and maybe their club one day copying.

Dreams of soaring structures and grand scale and the view in that moment you first see the pitch, and others of London brick, Q P and R in stained glass, hand painted tiling on the stairs , the lights of London shimmering through the cold night over the away end roof from the back of the New Loft. Dreams of the big stage, a big big sea of blue and white on big match days and nights.

Now we could always become the Boro of the south, but we could look at the Dragao in Porto and Camden Yards in Baltimore which dragged baseball out of the rentakit stadium era 20 years ago. We've got the world's leader in steel who's worked with great engineers and sculptors to show what steel can make, and we've got an owner who listens to what we want.

Cooke's is going. Westfield's taking over. And the Crown and Sceptre, which didn't let me in without a match ticket DURING THE MATCH the day we were promoted, can go f'uck itself.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Erm............... on 18:26 - Dec 13 with 1846 viewsMrGrieves

"No one will be able to kick the ball over the Elleslie Rd stand"

I'd still back Shittu...
Erm............... on 18:30 - Dec 13 with 1836 viewskysersosaqpr

Erm............... on 22:43 - Dec 12 by daveB

40,000 is too big for the current fanbase but you would have said that about southampton and chelsea 20 years ago, they must have plans to grow it, wonder what the timescale of it all is

Come on Harry we need more South Korean and Japanese internationals to get the fan base up.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Erm............... on 18:39 - Dec 13 with 1814 viewsted_hendrix

Erm............... on 15:56 - Dec 13 by stevec

Don't want to pull you up mate but the cost would be quite an eye opener, the cost per tonne for erecting steelwork has gone up quite substantially over the last 24 Months as has cladding and glazing.
Add to that a stadium isn't you're run of the mill building like say a factory therefore the steel would require more costly design etc blah blah.
I had the basic average cost of steel erected per tonne earlier this year but I've forgotten it.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Erm............... on 19:06 - Dec 13 with 1772 viewsJuzzie

Crown & Sceptre, The Connigham, British Queen, Springbok etc are what they are because of the fans. The fans will just make home whatever new/existing establishments there will be close by. Or, the club will ensure these facilities are on site so that the revenue goes to the club.
Erm............... on 19:11 - Dec 13 with 1754 viewsCiderwithRsie

From A40Bosh's post:-

"The game is dead, football is business, either accept that and go with what has to be done or accept that you have lost your love and fall away and live with the memories and regret. It's too late in this modern age for any of us to do anything about it."

This is desperately sad but true. It happened when the Premier League was founded, so its no longer even recent.

If anyone wants to get a revolutionary mob together to do something about it let me know and I'll be along with a pitchfork. But until then its about making the best of things.
Erm............... on 19:35 - Dec 13 with 1717 viewsRangersDave

Erm............... on 00:38 - Dec 13 by Northernr

"Build it and they will come"
If they're not coming now then fck them. They're not worth having.

I do hope your not talking about the fans who like myself (unemployed in Liverpool) and my dad of 77, disabled and can't drive working class guys who were going to rangers before Rodney came along, that are not worth having?

We don't go because of geographical logistics and the costs involved, not because we don't want to.

The new ground won't change that, but I'm sure all of us would love more leg room and better ground facilities.

Heck I remember the grass bank of ellersley road, etc, and I compare what we now have to what we have then and do I miss the bank? When I had it I loved it, but once I was sat in SAR that was forgotten and I fell in love with that. No doubt I shall feel the same about the new ground when ever I get to visit it.

Please feel free to clarify your comment though.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Erm............... on 19:44 - Dec 13 with 1700 viewsbosh67

I can't see the Nandos in any of the artists impressions?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Erm............... on 19:47 - Dec 13 with 1686 viewsdaveB

Erm............... on 19:35 - Dec 13 by RangersDave

I do hope your not talking about the fans who like myself (unemployed in Liverpool) and my dad of 77, disabled and can't drive working class guys who were going to rangers before Rodney came along, that are not worth having?

We don't go because of geographical logistics and the costs involved, not because we don't want to.

The new ground won't change that, but I'm sure all of us would love more leg room and better ground facilities.

Heck I remember the grass bank of ellersley road, etc, and I compare what we now have to what we have then and do I miss the bank? When I had it I loved it, but once I was sat in SAR that was forgotten and I fell in love with that. No doubt I shall feel the same about the new ground when ever I get to visit it.

Please feel free to clarify your comment though.

i'm pretty sure thats tongue in cheek from clive about the tourists rather than people who have been fans for years but don't always go
Erm............... on 20:16 - Dec 13 with 1650 viewsbarbicanranger

Loftus Road will always be a part of us whether we stay there or move to a new ground.

Where we spend the 90mins will be different but Loftus Road will always be a part of us, it will always be part of our identity, it's our history and you CANNOT change that.
Erm............... on 20:46 - Dec 13 with 1606 viewsSpiritofGregory

This is fabulous news and well done to the board, Loftus Rd is too small and we need to move if we want to progress, it's as simple as that.

We will fill the stadium no problem, we will have cemented our place in the premier league by then and all those new homes will provide new fans. There are too many kids in QPR catchment areas wearing Chelsea and Arsenal tops. A new state of the art stadium and success on the pitch will put a stop to that.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2013 7:50]
Erm............... on 20:57 - Dec 13 with 1590 viewskarlski

Some mention of tourist-types on here...I don't really understand the problem. Ok, they won't know the songs and won't be bringing the party atmosphere, but that can easily be said of half of LR on a normal matchday! Them coming doesn't stop us taking pride in our club does it? With a bigger stadium, can't we be welcoming to them, proud of the fact they've decided to throw some of their hard-earned dosh to our club, to experience the English version of the global art of football at our club?

I take pride in London as a city, in my local community and its more touristy attractions, and I don't see why the same wouldn't be true of my football club.

Definitely concerned about the initial years where it'll be part of a building site and the new transport links won't be in place - but on the other hand you could just do your usual pre-match routine in Shepherd's Bush (maybe begin a touch earlier), and then jump on the 72 or 283 bus for 10-15 mins to get to Old Oak Common Lane (obviously don't know exact location of ground but those two buses go through the area and will presumably get you fairly close).

Though I'm generally in favour, for some reason 32-35k would make me a lot happier!
[Post edited 13 Dec 2013 20:59]
Erm............... on 21:17 - Dec 13 with 1555 viewsYorkRanger

Late to comment here. Some valid points made by those on both sides of the argument .

I am in the time to move on camp. The facilities at LR are outdated and hopelessly cramped (try taking a p1ss at HT in Ellerslie Rd when the ground us full. It's primitive.

We all knew TF wasn't buying QPR to settle for a 2nd tier team. His investment should be applauded,.

Exciting times ahead. It's time to get on board.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024