Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Blues 09:53 - Mar 3 with 12763 viewsGretsch

Bought some old blues albums the weekend, a bit of Son House and Muddy Waters, always have liked the early Delta stuff since I was a lad as I am a big Stones fan and like to listen to their influences, favourites of mine are Leadbelly, Howling Wolf and Robert Johnson. I know it's cliched but I like the "woke up this morning" and "Gonna write me a letter " type stuff.

Anyone got any tracks and artists to recommend, I know the names of most of the guys obviosuly but dont want to get into downloading an album to hear one or two tracks that I may like.

For all the youngsters old stuff to me doesnt mean Clapton and Rory Gallagher
The Blues on 17:31 - Mar 3 with 2049 viewsDavillin

Excellent Introduction to the Blues. And not just the "popular" blues singers, either.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The Blues on 18:07 - Mar 3 with 2033 viewslibertine

The Blues on 17:31 - Mar 3 by Davillin

Excellent Introduction to the Blues. And not just the "popular" blues singers, either.

The Blues on 18:18 - Mar 3 with 2029 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 18:07 - Mar 3 by libertine

The bloke's a complete fake - a former session player who re-invented himself as a "hobo". He was nagging a mate of mine at Chrysalis to sign his jazz fusion band for years.

The f*ckwits at the BBC bought it hook, line and sinker. An itinerant busker who could "only afford three strings" - laughable.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2014 18:19]
The Blues on 18:31 - Mar 3 with 2022 viewslibertine

The Blues on 18:18 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

The bloke's a complete fake - a former session player who re-invented himself as a "hobo". He was nagging a mate of mine at Chrysalis to sign his jazz fusion band for years.

The f*ckwits at the BBC bought it hook, line and sinker. An itinerant busker who could "only afford three strings" - laughable.

Whats wrong with re inventing yourself isn't it part of middle age crisis
The Blues on 18:35 - Mar 3 with 2020 viewsDarran

The Blues on 18:31 - Mar 3 by libertine

Ignore Warwick Butt he's a bit of a c*ntpipe.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Blues on 18:36 - Mar 3 with 2019 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 18:35 - Mar 3 by Darran

Ignore Warwick Butt he's a bit of a c*ntpipe.

Who's Warwick Butt?
The Blues on 18:38 - Mar 3 with 2018 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 18:31 - Mar 3 by libertine

Not when you're pretending to be a homeless, penniless musician when in fact you are a massive throbber.
The Blues on 18:43 - Mar 3 with 2014 viewsDarran

The Blues on 18:36 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Who's Warwick Butt?

Wazzbags.

Login to get fewer ads

The Blues on 18:46 - Mar 3 with 2009 viewsLohengrin

The Blues on 18:18 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

You're right he's playing a part, mate. On this though he just about plays it to perfection. There have been some toe-curlingly bad assaults on old Hank's legacy over the years but this is somehow "real" in a way countless others haven't been. If he's acting on this it's right up there in terms of feigned crestfallen intimacy. It's a great cut.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Blues on 18:55 - Mar 3 with 2004 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 18:46 - Mar 3 by Lohengrin

You're right he's playing a part, mate. On this though he just about plays it to perfection. There have been some toe-curlingly bad assaults on old Hank's legacy over the years but this is somehow "real" in a way countless others haven't been. If he's acting on this it's right up there in terms of feigned crestfallen intimacy. It's a great cut.

Thanks. That's the only decent thing I've heard him do.

Give me Ry Cooder any day though.

One of Woody's...

The Blues on 19:04 - Mar 3 with 2003 viewslibertine

Janis Joplin Joni Mitchell kurt Cobain are some of his "musical friends" he can't be bad with that history.
The Blues on 19:07 - Mar 3 with 1999 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 19:04 - Mar 3 by libertine

Janis Joplin Joni Mitchell kurt Cobain are some of his "musical friends" he can't be bad with that history.

F*ck me - which part of him being a bullshit fake hobo don't you get?
The Blues on 19:41 - Mar 3 with 1994 viewsGretsch

The Blues on 14:55 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Listen to Little Walter - if you can name me anyone who can do that with a holder I'll suck your cock in Burton's window.

Thanks for offer but I can't play harmonica and guitar same time
[Post edited 3 Mar 2014 19:44]
The Blues on 21:11 - Mar 3 with 1977 viewsPolskijack

The Blues on 19:41 - Mar 3 by Gretsch

Thanks for offer but I can't play harmonica and guitar same time
[Post edited 3 Mar 2014 19:44]

If you want to play anything other than basic harmonica, forget using a holder for blues. I have tried this with a guitar and with drums. I am a pretty good harp player and it doesn't work. There's nothing better than miking up your harp and blowing up a blues storm with some friends. You need both hands.

If you have the time, have a look at these classic performances.

The Blues on 23:28 - Mar 4 with 1952 viewsburryportboy

Hi Gretsch, I'm a great fan and collector of the Blues, old Chicago/Delta stuff and electric blues. I urge you to get/listen to Kenny Wayne Shepherd's '10 Days Out' album. KWS is a young American bluesman who went off into the sticks and recorded with some genuinely old bluesmen basically before they died. Fantastic blues with among others BB King, Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown,Henry Townsend, Hubert Sumlin, Pintop Perkins. The great thing is that as well as the CD you get a full length DVD that captures the whole thing. I guarantee that you'll love it - it will blow you away.
The Blues on 07:51 - Mar 5 with 1791 viewsGretsch

The Blues on 23:28 - Mar 4 by burryportboy

Hi Gretsch, I'm a great fan and collector of the Blues, old Chicago/Delta stuff and electric blues. I urge you to get/listen to Kenny Wayne Shepherd's '10 Days Out' album. KWS is a young American bluesman who went off into the sticks and recorded with some genuinely old bluesmen basically before they died. Fantastic blues with among others BB King, Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown,Henry Townsend, Hubert Sumlin, Pintop Perkins. The great thing is that as well as the CD you get a full length DVD that captures the whole thing. I guarantee that you'll love it - it will blow you away.

Thanks BPb I will have a little look at that, going to download some iof the jail songs recorded by Lomax later.
The Blues on 07:59 - Mar 5 with 1787 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 07:51 - Mar 5 by Gretsch

Thanks BPb I will have a little look at that, going to download some iof the jail songs recorded by Lomax later.

Make sure you get Early In The Morning - one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

The Blues on 11:16 - Mar 5 with 1774 viewsLohengrin

Bringing the '20s back to life...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Blues on 13:00 - Mar 5 with 1760 viewsGretsch

My taste John The Revelator

The Blues on 14:18 - Mar 5 with 1755 viewsGretsch

The Blues on 17:31 - Mar 3 by Davillin

Hi Dav

What do the Americans think of the Blues these days, I know they went through a period where basically the white audience had to be introduced via The Stones, Animals etc, and then the Black audience went away from it due to the imagery.
The Blues on 14:45 - Mar 5 with 1746 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 13:00 - Mar 5 by Gretsch

My taste John The Revelator

Son House is my all-time favourite. Heard My Black Mama/Death Letter Blues on an old Flyright LP as a teenager and I was hooked for life...

Love this too...

The Blues on 15:11 - Mar 5 with 1741 viewsGretsch

The Blues on 14:45 - Mar 5 by WarwickHunt

Son House is my all-time favourite. Heard My Black Mama/Death Letter Blues on an old Flyright LP as a teenager and I was hooked for life...

Love this too...

Don’t want to be insulting but are you about my age, 54ish.

I think people of my age got into this looking back at the current bands at the times influences such as The Stones for me.

I like the raw blues like you it seems, I appreciate the new guys, but can’t see that these guys have gone through what the oldies did. Even Sir Keef admits that. He said the other day when asked if he would, that he would never do a blues album, because that’s not what he does and recognises it's been done and can’t be bettered. Cool guy.
The Blues on 15:59 - Mar 5 with 1728 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 15:11 - Mar 5 by Gretsch

Don’t want to be insulting but are you about my age, 54ish.

I think people of my age got into this looking back at the current bands at the times influences such as The Stones for me.

I like the raw blues like you it seems, I appreciate the new guys, but can’t see that these guys have gone through what the oldies did. Even Sir Keef admits that. He said the other day when asked if he would, that he would never do a blues album, because that’s not what he does and recognises it's been done and can’t be bettered. Cool guy.

Yep - got into it via Brit bands like Spencer Davis, Yardbirds, Mayall and Cream. Always preferred that raw bluesy sound to the pop stuff that was around.
The Blues on 16:00 - Mar 5 with 1726 viewsDarran

The Blues on 15:59 - Mar 5 by WarwickHunt

Yep - got into it via Brit bands like Spencer Davis, Yardbirds, Mayall and Cream. Always preferred that raw bluesy sound to the pop stuff that was around.

54 my arse.

The Blues on 16:51 - Mar 5 with 1722 viewslibertine

tom says he always wanted to be a blues singer but market forces and management didn't allow him.

would he have made it if he'd pushed his point.

this ones a classic

and his one
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024