Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vision or Division? 14:22 - Oct 5 with 1578 viewsBFCSupportersTrust

Walking out of Bloomfield Rd on Friday on the 53rd minute was a very surreal experience. It wasn't something I (and no doubt many others) wanted to be doing. I have never done it before and I hope I never have to do it again.

On exiting the ground onto Bloomfield Road we were greeted by a group of fans who hadn't been to the game but nevertheless had felt compelled to come down to applaud those who left. They also wanted to make the point to our owners that things need to change. It was a small gesture but one that was greatly appreciated by myself and others. As I made my way home that night I found myself questioning how things have come to be as bad as this:

1/ Why do large sections of our core fan base feel so disenfranchised?

2/ Why is it Chairman and manager seem unable to communicate effectively?

3/ What exactly has caused BFC's owners' spectacular fall out?

4/ Why do we have a situation where fans are seen to be falling out with fellow fans, when they all share the passion that is BFC?

5/ Why do we repeatedly hear fans complaining they can't coax their children to Bloomfield Rd anymore?

6/ What's caused up to 4000 fans to stay way despite the massive discounts?

I have pondered these questions over the last 48 hours and have reflected on how the division that is tearing our great club apart can be addressed.

Whatever answers the individual fan reaches, the simple truth is: it doesn't have to be like this. How refreshing would it be to feel that we were all pulling in the same direction again?

I posed a question in the title to this piece. The answer lies with Owen and Karl. They have the power to effect change. If they continue as they are, it's difficult to see how the rifts in the various relationships can be healed. That will almost inevitably lead us down one road. Make no mistake about it even if, by the miraculous efforts of the player and manager, we avoid relegation this season, it is very likely that we will suffer the same difficulties next season and relegation may prove inevitable.

No one wants that do they? Relegation would lead to a loss of TV and corporate revenues and the further erosion of the fan base. Riga and the players most certainly won't want that on their CV's. As for the fans, none of us can want to suffer the 29 years we endured following our last relegation from the second tier of English football.

Pretty much every BFC fan I've ever spoken to is realistic and doesn't expect players to be offered ridiculous salaries or over-inflated transfer fees to be paid. Neither do they begrudge our owners a fair profit on their investment.

They do, however, expect OUR manager to be backed not undermined, OUR players not to be treated as commodities with a shelf life of 12 months or less, OUR stadium to be maintained, OUR fan base to be respected, to know that there is a strategy for OUR Club and for owners to deliver on the training ground promises that will be OUR community legacy from the Premiership sojourn.

As I said above, two people hold the key to the answers. Only they can provide clear and unequivocal support for the manager they appointed and who has shown great dignity during this trying time. Only they can deliver good young players on fair contracts that allow them to put down roots and develop into the heroes we and our children crave. Only they can carry out all necessary repairs at the stadium and build a fit-for-purpose training ground (which with community use could easily be a profit-making enterprise). They and only they can develop and share their vision for the future of BFC and most importantly do all that they can to heal the rifts between themselves and the fan base.

BFC is at the biggest crossroads since 1978. Time is running out.

Further division or a new progressive vision - which is it to be?

Tim Fielding

BST Chairman
Vision or Division? on 08:53 - Oct 8 with 390 viewswespens

Tim - this paragraph for me is far more important than all the 'Oyston Out' stuff - this is what the club, fans and manager etc should be striving for

They do, however, expect OUR manager to be backed not undermined, OUR players not to be treated as commodities with a shelf life of 12 months or less, OUR stadium to be maintained, OUR fan base to be respected, to know that there is a strategy for OUR Club and for owners to deliver on the training ground promises that will be OUR community legacy from the Premiership sojourn.

Poll: Would you ever play John Lundstram again?

Vision or Division? on 09:09 - Oct 9 with 358 viewsbig_bloomers

Vision or Division? on 08:53 - Oct 8 by wespens

Tim - this paragraph for me is far more important than all the 'Oyston Out' stuff - this is what the club, fans and manager etc should be striving for

Be interesting to hear from Tim personally where he stands at the moment with our fans having been at the coal face - I hear one or two are getting on his back?

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024