Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question Time 23:12 - Dec 11 with 11458 viewsreddythered

Absolutely hysterical.

Russell Brand being made to look a grade A fool; one of his acolytes in the crowd interrupting, making accusations. Even a UKIP supporter made him look like a 6th form student.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

Question Time on 13:15 - Dec 12 with 1880 viewsskippyjack

I'll be honest.. our country is in good hands .. it's clear to see.. Labour are c*nts.. Tories are c*nts.. UKIP are c*nts.. what about the Lib Dems?.. you never scrutinise them.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Question Time on 13:25 - Dec 12 with 1868 viewsMrSwerve

The term 'racist' is thrown about far too easily these days.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Question Time on 13:32 - Dec 12 with 1844 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Question Time on 13:15 - Dec 12 by skippyjack

I'll be honest.. our country is in good hands .. it's clear to see.. Labour are c*nts.. Tories are c*nts.. UKIP are c*nts.. what about the Lib Dems?.. you never scrutinise them.

The lib dems are Tories skip.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Question Time on 13:33 - Dec 12 with 1844 viewsParlay

Question Time on 13:00 - Dec 12 by londonlisa2001

oh God, I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but Parlay - he really isn't you know.

He's as full of cliche as it's possible to be, a walking, talking embodiment of all that is wrong with political debate in this country at the moment.

It's vacuous, ill thought out, critical without solution and relies on the ranting soundbite not the substance. The 'poundshop Powell' stuff last night was a prepared soundbite for the masses - how do i know? Because he used it in a rant against Farage that bore no relation to the question asked.

Using long words (for the sake of it, and often, pretty badly and out of context) is not 'incredible intelligence'.

The guy is a complete hypocrite. Not just because he has, as he calls it, 'a couple of quid' (approximately £15m or so) but because he spends his life slagging off the city, and yet has set up a film company, funded by the City, that uses structures to avoid tax for those investing, investors like his best mate and manager.

He slags off the 'excess' that 'bankers' have at the expense of 'us ordinary people' yet when he got married to Katy Perry, he had a 5 day extravaganza in India that involved him arriving on an elephant.

He 'stands up for the ordinary people' by attending rallies - funny that, when he has a book in the shops at the moment called 'Revolution', so every time he received publicity for his ranting nonsense, he makes more of that filthy dosh he despises so much. And after those rallies, where he rails against wealth and the oppression of the poor, he often relaxes in some of London's swankiest cocktail bars and restaurants, sneaking out back doors in case the paps get a shot of him and his rich, celebrity chums. He's often seen out and about in Mayfair clubs and Hoxton wine bars.

He doesn't have an original thought in his body - he's Rik from the Young Ones made real (only when Rik had graduated and made a few million).

And it comes to something when that complete b*****d Farage, who spends his whole life moaning about 'immigrants' while being married to a German immigrant isn't the biggest hypocrite on the panel.

The really terrifying thing is that if the ranting, vacuous nonsense served up by him and his mate 'Bunny' (her of the shouting from the audience fame last night) is the best that 'the left' can muster, we are going to end up with Farage's bunch of racist, homophobic loons getting so many votes next year it makes me want to vomit.

What he says is ultimately correct. He doesn't claim to have the solutions, he doesn't claim to be a leader - he is a comedian, by trade, who is simply stating the corrupt nature of government which looks after major corporations at the expense of the poor.

Of course he is rich, he is a comedian a presenter and a movie star. This is the tag line thrown out by pro government newspaper to discredit him, but it doesn't actually hold any weight and doesn't do anything but back him up.

If he was poor and wanted the poor to stop being underserved then you could see a self serving reason behind it. He is a rich man who obviously understands any change to government policy will affect him negatively financially.

While we live in a capitalist society then the more money you have, the better. Brand is advocating a less capitalist society, so as long as the former is present then him being rich is something he would be well advised to maintain... As I'm sure he knows.

As for the proceeds of his book - i don't believe he keeps any of it. Isn't he donating it to non profit social enterprising?

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Question Time on 13:33 - Dec 12 with 1842 viewsskippyjack

Question Time on 13:25 - Dec 12 by MrSwerve

Well I don't like them.. that's my opinion on the matter.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Question Time on 13:35 - Dec 12 with 1836 viewsskippyjack

Question Time on 13:32 - Dec 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

The lib dems are Tories skip.

Just read about the marriage they've got.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/11285087/The-Tories-and-Lib-

Question Time on 13:38 - Dec 12 with 1834 viewsLord_Bony

Question Time on 13:25 - Dec 12 by MrSwerve

I ll watch the show later so can't comment on last night.

I like Russell Brand....he is a breath of fresh air to British politics. With 9 million followers on Twitter alone he definatley has a voice on the political stage.

The problem he has is even though he makes some really good points...he s not a trained politician,so he sometimes let his passion and anger get the better of him in a debate...like he's talking down in the pub.

If he polished his demeanor a little,let's be honest he is very articulate and sharp witted,he could be one to be reckoned with in the political arena....can't see that happening though,he s too street cred for that,so he chooses to operate on the fringes...I did hear last nights show was one of the best ever??

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Question Time on 13:41 - Dec 12 with 1821 viewslondonlisa2001

Question Time on 12:59 - Dec 12 by epaul

IOn what people people who dont give a f*ck and have more money than sense and want to make even more money and f*ck the underpriviledged,the poor and the destitute, yeah Ive slated the royal scrounging c*nts and rightly so look think what you want about RB , yeah many think he's a bellend but in my book he speaks out and shows that he has compassion, thatll do for me.

better be that than an open racist, sexist c*nt like farage, read what i posted before this what brand has written, in farage's mind its ok to hit kids, how much of a c8nt does that make him, he's poison and yeah he is a pound shop Enoch Powell

Farage is dreadful Paul, but Brand is poisonous and is a steaming hypocrite.

Compassion? Don't you find it even slightly strange that all this going on TV talking about the poor and oppression etc has coincided with him writing and then selling his book? He also is making a film about, wait for it, himself (funded through a tax efficient investment mechanism with money from those bankers he hates).

Didn't see much of him attending rallies and foodbanks when he was married to Katy Perry did we. Oh, and he is as big a sexist as it's possible to be. His previous passion if you recall was always about drug treatment - that coincided with him writing about and making programmes about, drug addiction. I imagine he will become passionate about something else once his next book comes out.

His mate Vivienne Westwood is the same - hates the 'establishment' (sorry - that reminds me, I forgot, she's Dame Vivienne Westwood isn't she), and hates the oppression of the poor, and rich kids having unfair advantages - you know, apart from when she is flogging £600 t-shirts and setting up her son, Joe Corre in business until he sold Agent Provocateur to a Private Equity house for £60m.

And you don't have any context at all for what Farage did or didn't say about hitting children - he may well have said something like he smacks his kids from time t time or something. He's an odious creep, but come on - let's not believe all that Brand says without question.
Login to get fewer ads

Question Time on 13:43 - Dec 12 with 1817 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Question Time on 13:35 - Dec 12 by skippyjack

Just read about the marriage they've got.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/11285087/The-Tories-and-Lib-

Incredible eh.

Clegg is the biggest twunt of them all , sold his party down the river for self esteem .

The local lib dems in my area couldn't believe it .

Question Time on 13:52 - Dec 12 with 1793 viewsLord_Bony

Question Time on 13:43 - Dec 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

Incredible eh.

Clegg is the biggest twunt of them all , sold his party down the river for self esteem .

The local lib dems in my area couldn't believe it .

These people in any party these days will say ANYTHING to get their snouts in the trough.

They will say whatever we want them to say basically and change their tune to suit public opinion at the drop of a hat. Clegg blatantly lied to the student population to get their vote then did the opposite to his promises when he got in...scum.

I really have a strong disliking and mistrust of ALL politicians these days...their number one objective is not to further the welfare of us but themselves...every time.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Question Time on 13:53 - Dec 12 with 1793 viewsshandyjack

im staggered at home many people are buying into this Brand crap. He doesn't give a crap really, it's all in the name of publicity for a man who went out of the limelight after his sham wedding and now trying to make himself relevant again. He is a joke, as are all the party leaders.
I'd like to bet that half the people who want to vote for UKIPhaven't got a clue about their policies on anything other than immigration and Europe.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Question Time on 14:06 - Dec 12 with 1773 viewsJackfath

Brand needs to stand for office, or back off his opinions. It's all well and good slating the politicians that are leading the parties, but it's another to stand up, and back these criticisms with your own ideals and values.

He needs to get in bed with the Greens and stand. Things could then get very interesting in politics in this country.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Question Time on 14:06 - Dec 12 with 1774 viewslondonlisa2001

Question Time on 13:33 - Dec 12 by Parlay

What he says is ultimately correct. He doesn't claim to have the solutions, he doesn't claim to be a leader - he is a comedian, by trade, who is simply stating the corrupt nature of government which looks after major corporations at the expense of the poor.

Of course he is rich, he is a comedian a presenter and a movie star. This is the tag line thrown out by pro government newspaper to discredit him, but it doesn't actually hold any weight and doesn't do anything but back him up.

If he was poor and wanted the poor to stop being underserved then you could see a self serving reason behind it. He is a rich man who obviously understands any change to government policy will affect him negatively financially.

While we live in a capitalist society then the more money you have, the better. Brand is advocating a less capitalist society, so as long as the former is present then him being rich is something he would be well advised to maintain... As I'm sure he knows.

As for the proceeds of his book - i don't believe he keeps any of it. Isn't he donating it to non profit social enterprising?

There is little in the life easier than criticising without solution.

And it's not the fact that he's 'rich' - it's the complete hypocrisy of the way he lives (outside the cameras). The fancy Mayfair parties, the chauffeur driven Merc (apart from photo calls on public transport), the tax efficient investment schemes, the partnerships with 'those b****d bankers' on his production companies and so on.

He won't lose anything if there are changes to government policy - he has an army of accountants that protect him - he has a lot of off shore wealth as well. The only people that actually lose out are those in the middle if taxes go up - not people like him who pay sod all in tax in the first place. He's big mates with Jimmy Carr - there's another 'man of the people' until his little tax arrangements were made public.

And, no, he keeps ALL the proceeds from his book. It's just that he has said that he will use some of it to build a cafe for addicts (which is quite a nice tax efficient way to shield some of the income earned). Now given that he made about a quarter of a million pounds from the book in the 5 days it was published, that's going to be one hell of a cafe isn't it?

It's all balls, it really is - he is 'caring' about the poor to make himself money - he really is an odious little creep.
Question Time on 14:17 - Dec 12 with 1757 viewsFlashberryjack

Question Time on 14:06 - Dec 12 by londonlisa2001

And it's not the fact that he's 'rich' - it's the complete hypocrisy of the way he lives (outside the cameras). The fancy Mayfair parties, the chauffeur driven Merc (apart from photo calls on public transport), the tax efficient investment schemes, the partnerships with 'those b****d bankers' on his production companies and so on.

He won't lose anything if there are changes to government policy - he has an army of accountants that protect him - he has a lot of off shore wealth as well. The only people that actually lose out are those in the middle if taxes go up - not people like him who pay sod all in tax in the first place. He's big mates with Jimmy Carr - there's another 'man of the people' until his little tax arrangements were made public.

And, no, he keeps ALL the proceeds from his book. It's just that he has said that he will use some of it to build a cafe for addicts (which is quite a nice tax efficient way to shield some of the income earned). Now given that he made about a quarter of a million pounds from the book in the 5 days it was published, that's going to be one hell of a cafe isn't it?

It's all balls, it really is - he is 'caring' about the poor to make himself money - he really is an odious little creep.

From what you say, brand has the perfect credentials to become an MP.
Only problem is which party's flag could he run under? all the horses are the same, just have diferent jockeys .

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Question Time on 14:26 - Dec 12 with 1744 viewslondonlisa2001

Question Time on 14:17 - Dec 12 by Flashberryjack

From what you say, brand has the perfect credentials to become an MP.
Only problem is which party's flag could he run under? all the horses are the same, just have diferent jockeys .

there is a very good reason why he won't become an MP (other than it may interfere with his vacuous celebrity lifestyle).

If he does so, his finances will be open to scrutiny, and it will become completely obvious to everyone that he is full of crap.

My beef with him has nothing to do with him being a wealthy actor (term used in the loosest possible sense). The difference between him and, for example, Glenda Jackson is a startling one. She was an actual actress (with some degree of talent) and yet genuinely had / has principles that she fights for, without personal aggrandisement, or blatant hypocrisy. Similarly Richard Attenborough who had genuine political conviction and devoted enormous amounts of time to causes that he believed in.
Question Time on 14:31 - Dec 12 with 1692 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

As it happens one of this country's greatest politians was heckled and branded a hypocrit for being from a rich family but standing up for the less well off & corporations & banks bleeding the country of every penny .
Tony Benn

Brand is a campaigner not a political movement .
People can't do right for doing wrong these days .
Let's hope he does move on to politics .

Question Time on 14:33 - Dec 12 with 1690 viewsLohengrin

Question Time on 13:02 - Dec 12 by reddythered

"One"?

So a middle aged guy short hair is automatically looking like a "Nazi"? Just wow.

Did you also ignore the others in the audience who pilloried Brand's posts or were they not "Nazi" looking enough?

The fact you're looking for a correlation between Farage and Brand is wrong.

Nazi thug!? The pensioner with the balding head and walking stick?

Said Sturmabteilung raised an awkward moment for La Brand when he queried the courage of his convictions and asked why did he not stand for election?

The other questioner, the young smart looking chap who presumably doesn't look like a "Nazi thug", also had the junky floundering... "but mate, but mate" as his bottom lip trembled.

Is the androgynous man-child and that grotesque looking crone with the face piercings, purple hair and foul mouth at the back of the hall the best the reds can bring forth? Not exactly Harry Pollitt and the Third International, is it?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Question Time on 14:43 - Dec 12 with 1661 viewslondonlisa2001

Question Time on 14:31 - Dec 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

As it happens one of this country's greatest politians was heckled and branded a hypocrit for being from a rich family but standing up for the less well off & corporations & banks bleeding the country of every penny .
Tony Benn

Brand is a campaigner not a political movement .
People can't do right for doing wrong these days .
Let's hope he does move on to politics .

I assume that you're choosing to ignore the fact that Benn left over £5m, nothing to any charities, and used tax efficient trust structures to ensure that his multi millionaire kids avoided inheritance tax?

Words are cheap.

And after his performance last night, Brand would last for 10 minutes in genuine political debate.

The Guardian (so forgetting what the right wing papers said about it) made some interesting comments on his 'little red book':

"His writing is atrocious: long-winded, confused and smug; filled with references to books Brand has half read and thinkers he has half understood. "

I would prefer my politicians to be a little less self publicising and a little more thoughtful to be honest.

The comment on Farage about a 'poundshop Enoch Powell' (and, he should have dropped the 'Enoch' bit - the soundbite would have been so much better with a little alliteration) is one thing. Brand, however, is a leftie Boris Johnson.
Question Time on 15:03 - Dec 12 with 1630 viewsParlay

Question Time on 14:06 - Dec 12 by londonlisa2001

If people had to have a solution in order to criticise then you would not have this planetswans stage to post on for starters. You can absolutely have the right to say something doesn't work without having to devise a workable solution yourself, especially in a field you do not claim to be in.

He is a character, and done more to involve the youth of today in politics that any other figure i can remember in modern day history. People are now thinking about politics, the way the country is run and actively taking an interest in these political debates. It seems quite short sighted to dismiss what he represents and what he has done for something as silly as a cheffour driven car. He is a rich man and diesnt pretend he isnt, he is rich due to the current political system he disagrees with.

If you devised a system to work the outcomes he is promoting under the caveat that he must give 90% of his wealth away then i have no doubt he would absolutely accept. Brand is an easy target as he is undoubtedly a former working class man turned good who now has the audacity to challenge authority.

If the proceeds from the book, whether some or all, go to setting up a non profit cafe for addicts then superb. The fact it has raked in 250k aslso suggests it is getting people interested in the stagnant arena of politics again.

Forum celebrity

Question Time on 15:04 - Dec 12 with 1626 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Question Time on 14:43 - Dec 12 by londonlisa2001

I assume that you're choosing to ignore the fact that Benn left over £5m, nothing to any charities, and used tax efficient trust structures to ensure that his multi millionaire kids avoided inheritance tax?

Words are cheap.

And after his performance last night, Brand would last for 10 minutes in genuine political debate.

The Guardian (so forgetting what the right wing papers said about it) made some interesting comments on his 'little red book':

"His writing is atrocious: long-winded, confused and smug; filled with references to books Brand has half read and thinkers he has half understood. "

I would prefer my politicians to be a little less self publicising and a little more thoughtful to be honest.

The comment on Farage about a 'poundshop Enoch Powell' (and, he should have dropped the 'Enoch' bit - the soundbite would have been so much better with a little alliteration) is one thing. Brand, however, is a leftie Boris Johnson.

Indeed he is a Boris Johnston type , as written above brand needs to put his point over ... Let's say more politically ,as to not upset the poor right wing members of this country .

Ah words are indeed very very cheap .

As for Ben his political speeches and all he stould for need to be brought back into politics but only 30% of the population are interested.

Words are very very cheap.

Question Time on 15:05 - Dec 12 with 1626 viewsLohengrin

Question Time on 14:43 - Dec 12 by londonlisa2001

Words are cheap.

That comparison is unfair on Johnson who for all his contrived buffoonery is a Balliol classics graduate and a writer of genuine distinction. His Dream of Rome is superb, Lisa, and his Churchill biography is first rate. (Christmas is coming fast)

Brand, so far as I can see, projects himself as a sort of ethereal auto-didact. Which is fine, he can be whoever he wants, but does owe it to himself to get properly prepared for public showdowns to avoid embarrassment...for the viewer as much as for his own sake.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Question Time on 15:07 - Dec 12 with 1619 viewsParlay

Question Time on 14:06 - Dec 12 by Jackfath

Brand needs to stand for office, or back off his opinions. It's all well and good slating the politicians that are leading the parties, but it's another to stand up, and back these criticisms with your own ideals and values.

He needs to get in bed with the Greens and stand. Things could then get very interesting in politics in this country.

Thats like saying anybody who criticises the team selection should either apply for the job or keep quiet, anybody who disagrees with the war in Afghanistan should run for president of the USA or back off, anyone who thinks prices are too high for petrol should look to make their own rig and find cheaper sources themselves or stop complaining.

Brand doesn't want to be a politician, and although the prices of petrol are awful - i certainly dont want to be an oil rigger.

Forum celebrity

Question Time on 15:08 - Dec 12 with 1609 viewsUxbridge

The problem with Brand is, well, he's a bit of a dick. That and he half understands something and spins and extrapolates that into being an expert on everything. Sort of a lankier Joey Barton.

I'm no fan of Farage, I find some of his politics appalling, but he's becoming more and more potent an antidote to the samesy Westminster elite that I'm almost warming to the pompous buffoon. Almost. At least his ilk are standing up for a coherent viewpoint and are a clear alternative. I'd never ever vote for them, but it's easy to see why so many have and I think so many will come May '15.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Question Time on 15:14 - Dec 12 with 1593 viewslondonlisa2001

Question Time on 15:03 - Dec 12 by Parlay

If people had to have a solution in order to criticise then you would not have this planetswans stage to post on for starters. You can absolutely have the right to say something doesn't work without having to devise a workable solution yourself, especially in a field you do not claim to be in.

He is a character, and done more to involve the youth of today in politics that any other figure i can remember in modern day history. People are now thinking about politics, the way the country is run and actively taking an interest in these political debates. It seems quite short sighted to dismiss what he represents and what he has done for something as silly as a cheffour driven car. He is a rich man and diesnt pretend he isnt, he is rich due to the current political system he disagrees with.

If you devised a system to work the outcomes he is promoting under the caveat that he must give 90% of his wealth away then i have no doubt he would absolutely accept. Brand is an easy target as he is undoubtedly a former working class man turned good who now has the audacity to challenge authority.

If the proceeds from the book, whether some or all, go to setting up a non profit cafe for addicts then superb. The fact it has raked in 250k aslso suggests it is getting people interested in the stagnant arena of politics again.

He absolutely wouldn't accept.

He doesn't even pay his fair share of tax now let alone give his wealth away.

And I din't say it had earned £250k - I said it made HIM that in the first 5 days.

The guy is a sham.

Many years ago, when I first started working, I worked as an accountant specialising in the affairs of pop stars and film stars for a big firm (one of what was at that point the Big 8) in London. Even then, you'd have publicly leftie (power to the small people) type pop stars falling over themselves to get out of paying any tax whatsoever. Nothing changes.

And you're right that people can criticise without a solution on an ordinary stage. Not when it comes to politics they can't. They have to have a solution - that's what makes actually doing it much harder than shouting about it from the sidelines. That's why he won't actually do it.

And as for involving youth in politics - he is actively encouraging them to play no part in it through refusing to vote. He is advising them to throw stones, not to engage.
Question Time on 15:18 - Dec 12 with 1583 viewsDarran

Question Time on 12:59 - Dec 12 by epaul

IOn what people people who dont give a f*ck and have more money than sense and want to make even more money and f*ck the underpriviledged,the poor and the destitute, yeah Ive slated the royal scrounging c*nts and rightly so look think what you want about RB , yeah many think he's a bellend but in my book he speaks out and shows that he has compassion, thatll do for me.

better be that than an open racist, sexist c*nt like farage, read what i posted before this what brand has written, in farage's mind its ok to hit kids, how much of a c8nt does that make him, he's poison and yeah he is a pound shop Enoch Powell

Oh come on Paul you don't really believe that Brand gives a f*ck,I love your passion Paul but if Brand wasn't disagreeing with Farage you'd think he was the same as all the other rich c*nts.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024