Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crystal Palace support 11:22 - Jan 14 with 2069 viewsveritas

I've seen them a few times now and everytime I've been impressed with their fans. Pardew even commented on the fact they were louder than when he was playing, which is remarkable really when you consider pretty much every other club has followed a different path with the advent of all seater stadiums and more family focus.

Clearly they've allowed a significant section to develop a foreign style 'ultra' section without the violence in which they stand, wave flags and bang drums all game. It's great to see as modern football is becoming more and dominated by away supporters becoming the most vocal as they tend to be the hardcore, likely stand up throughout the game etc

My whole point is that could we do something similar? Yes we have a section that is more vocal but it doesn't seem organised i.e. it should be absolutely clear to anyone going there that it's the most boisterous section, that nudge nudge wink wink they're more likely to stand and there should be more ease of access for huge flags, drums etc.

Just because we're in an era when atmospheres are something we used to do, there's no reason why this is irreversible. I'd love to get some of the culture of north bank back e.g. why not open up this section to walk up fans so you have a section with no season tickets and only open to those who turn up on a Saturday. You could also impose an age restriction of >16 years old of something.

Bring back the terrace culture without the violence.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 11:28]
Crystal Palace support on 11:45 - Jan 14 with 2029 viewsVetchitBack

Palace's support is incredible even if I find the Ultra thing cringeworthy. We don't need to copy foreign fans we used to be able to create atmospheres all on our own.

To almost and immediately contradict myself I think we should copy other stadiums a la Germany with their Safe-Standing however. These have the benefit of excluding the "sit down" "steward he won't sit down" types who have killed the atmosphere.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Crystal Palace support on 11:49 - Jan 14 with 2007 viewsOldjack

Dedication ,Organization is the key , you'll have to form a committee, meetings and all that sort of stuff ,all this has to be done with the clubs blessings ,Den Haag had their own room within the stadium where they made huge flags and organized things

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Crystal Palace support on 11:54 - Jan 14 with 1998 viewsveritas

Crystal Palace support on 11:45 - Jan 14 by VetchitBack

Palace's support is incredible even if I find the Ultra thing cringeworthy. We don't need to copy foreign fans we used to be able to create atmospheres all on our own.

To almost and immediately contradict myself I think we should copy other stadiums a la Germany with their Safe-Standing however. These have the benefit of excluding the "sit down" "steward he won't sit down" types who have killed the atmosphere.

My point is based on what we can do under the current law.

I'm a huge supporter of safe standing but sadly that doesn't look like changing for a while. To get around this we need to think inventively.

So we have a more relaxed approach to standing for instance, we make it abundantly clear this isn't a part of the ground where you sit chatting to your mate, texting on your phone etc. We make it clear this isn't the family section, we look having say around 2k of tickets that are open to a walk up crowd.

There's plenty of things you can do to help create a more terrace style culture, just hoping for the best isn't the way forward.
Crystal Palace support on 12:01 - Jan 14 with 1975 viewsveritas

Crystal Palace support on 11:49 - Jan 14 by Oldjack

Dedication ,Organization is the key , you'll have to form a committee, meetings and all that sort of stuff ,all this has to be done with the clubs blessings ,Den Haag had their own room within the stadium where they made huge flags and organized things

I'd like this to be put on the agenda, I know many people who no longer go because of the atmosphere. These were hardcore supporters who stood on the NB.

Organisation is key yes. I remember everytime the swans were covered on tv at the vetch, the commentator would always mention our hostile atmosphere that just doesn't happen anymore.

But it's not just that, it's an enjoyment aspect. Many choose to just go to away games now where as that was unheard of 10 years ago.

This would also benefit the experience of those that want to sit down and watch without the distraction of people standing up in front of them. If you have a hub of sound this will reverberate around ground as well. At the moment it feels tired, predictable i.e. no invention in chants and there's absolutely no reason why this has to be forever.
Crystal Palace support on 12:18 - Jan 14 with 1944 viewsVetchitBack

Crystal Palace support on 12:01 - Jan 14 by veritas

I'd like this to be put on the agenda, I know many people who no longer go because of the atmosphere. These were hardcore supporters who stood on the NB.

Organisation is key yes. I remember everytime the swans were covered on tv at the vetch, the commentator would always mention our hostile atmosphere that just doesn't happen anymore.

But it's not just that, it's an enjoyment aspect. Many choose to just go to away games now where as that was unheard of 10 years ago.

This would also benefit the experience of those that want to sit down and watch without the distraction of people standing up in front of them. If you have a hub of sound this will reverberate around ground as well. At the moment it feels tired, predictable i.e. no invention in chants and there's absolutely no reason why this has to be forever.

Much in that post describes me.

I was a North Bank season ticket holder who gave up my season after a few years at The a Liberty then going to around 7-10 games a season then when we got to the Prem that became almost impossible. But I try to get to as many away games as possible (which given the cost and difficulty of getting tickets isn't that much unfortunately).

It was all about the atmosphere and enjoyment and quirks of supporting a rough and ready home-town team. But we can't go back so I see your point practical solutions to the problem. Problem is amongst the new breed I doubt they see it as a problem so long as they get to see us play famous opposition each week.

A section where intermittent standing is tolerated would be ideal. I believe this is the case with Palace's Lower Holmesdale Stand. But my experiences down The Liberty have lead me to question if I'm in a minority these days? I know id never have fell in love with watching Swans down The Liberty.

If it wasn't for the misplaced grief of the Hillsborough families I think we would have Safe-Standing though.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 12:27]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Crystal Palace support on 12:44 - Jan 14 with 1888 viewsveritas

Crystal Palace support on 12:18 - Jan 14 by VetchitBack

Much in that post describes me.

I was a North Bank season ticket holder who gave up my season after a few years at The a Liberty then going to around 7-10 games a season then when we got to the Prem that became almost impossible. But I try to get to as many away games as possible (which given the cost and difficulty of getting tickets isn't that much unfortunately).

It was all about the atmosphere and enjoyment and quirks of supporting a rough and ready home-town team. But we can't go back so I see your point practical solutions to the problem. Problem is amongst the new breed I doubt they see it as a problem so long as they get to see us play famous opposition each week.

A section where intermittent standing is tolerated would be ideal. I believe this is the case with Palace's Lower Holmesdale Stand. But my experiences down The Liberty have lead me to question if I'm in a minority these days? I know id never have fell in love with watching Swans down The Liberty.

If it wasn't for the misplaced grief of the Hillsborough families I think we would have Safe-Standing though.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 12:27]

Your last few points are spot on.

I started going when I was about 9 years old but my love of the swans kicked in when I was around 14 when I started going on the NB. The reason was not just 'watching' because much of the football was crap it was the whole craic of it. You genuinely would have some genuinely funny moments which will stay and when the NB was full the buzz was amazing. Remember the days when you'd walk up and hear swans fans singing a good half hour before the game? Now people are still finding their seat.

I know this is something that has changed and probably will never come back but the reality is you can mitigate or even fight against it. Your point about the Hillsborough families is spot on, the only reason it hasn't changed is because of them. This Gov has actually looked at it but they've said it was an outrage and it was quickly abandoned which is depressing. To me it's a question of choice, I would rather stand and sing with my mates. I don't enjoy sitting down and 'watching' but I respect the fact some people like to do that.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 12:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024