Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are planes getting less safe? 15:35 - Feb 4 with 6218 viewsParlay

There seems to have been a record amount of plane crashes and incidents in recent years. And just today we have a Taiwan Jet plan crashing with harrowing footage underneath killing half the people on board.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/04/video-plane-crash-in-taipei

Im an awful flyer. Not good for someone that lives 10,000 miles away. Anybody else a bad flyer or have any opinions on it being safe or unsafe as a mode of transport?

Stats, theories all welcome.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Are planes getting less safe? on 00:59 - Feb 10 with 961 viewsazjack

Are planes getting less safe? on 13:16 - Feb 9 by Parlay

But you could also say that about space travel and that is fraught with danger.

I don't know, i just find it odd that 1000's of people die on the every year. Why don't we have some sort of system to save people.

If a ship goes down then you have the chance of the lifeboats.

It is just so final. If there is a catastrophic failure with the plane then thats it, people just have to sit there and watch themselves crash. Cant there be some sort of parachute evacuation system? I don't understand why steps like this haven't been taken in decades of planes crashing.

Between 500 and 2000 people die each year in a plane crash.
According to the Bureau of Transport Statistics approx 631 million people per year are whizzing around the skies in pressurized cans - and that figure includes only domestic flights within the US.
Do the math.....the odds of anyone dying in a plane crash are astronomical.

My guess is that most people would lose consciousness before the plane hit the deck anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.
Are planes getting less safe? on 02:51 - Feb 10 with 946 viewsParlay

Are planes getting less safe? on 00:59 - Feb 10 by azjack

Between 500 and 2000 people die each year in a plane crash.
According to the Bureau of Transport Statistics approx 631 million people per year are whizzing around the skies in pressurized cans - and that figure includes only domestic flights within the US.
Do the math.....the odds of anyone dying in a plane crash are astronomical.

My guess is that most people would lose consciousness before the plane hit the deck anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

You would only lose consciousness if the pressure in the plane is compromised which doesn't always go hand in hand with a crash.

I think the stat i am familiar with is the chance of you dying in a plane crash is 1 in 3.6 million. But that doesn't sound that comforting to me.

This is my theory...

Winning the lottery is 1 in 9 million or something.

So if it was guaranteed you would not die in the plane crash, and I mean absolutely zero chance - but the downside of that is you must play a 6 number lottery every time you board and if you win then you get executed on the spot... Plane tickets would be at an all time low... Yet the chance of you dying that way is 2 and a half times more unlikely than if you jumped on the plane without a "death lottery".

Its an odd one.

People pay thousands to play the lottery and believe they have a chance of winning to expend the cash, yet when it comes to fear of dying from flying its made out as if its a radical idea yet is far more likely than winning the lottery.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Are planes getting less safe? on 05:16 - Feb 10 with 937 viewsazjack

Are planes getting less safe? on 02:51 - Feb 10 by Parlay

You would only lose consciousness if the pressure in the plane is compromised which doesn't always go hand in hand with a crash.

I think the stat i am familiar with is the chance of you dying in a plane crash is 1 in 3.6 million. But that doesn't sound that comforting to me.

This is my theory...

Winning the lottery is 1 in 9 million or something.

So if it was guaranteed you would not die in the plane crash, and I mean absolutely zero chance - but the downside of that is you must play a 6 number lottery every time you board and if you win then you get executed on the spot... Plane tickets would be at an all time low... Yet the chance of you dying that way is 2 and a half times more unlikely than if you jumped on the plane without a "death lottery".

Its an odd one.

People pay thousands to play the lottery and believe they have a chance of winning to expend the cash, yet when it comes to fear of dying from flying its made out as if its a radical idea yet is far more likely than winning the lottery.

Look at it this way. If, for the next thirty years, you decided to track and spend exactly the same amount of money, dollar for dollar, on buying plane tickets and lottery tickets. For arguments sake, pick a number...lets say $10K per annum:

Chance of winning the lottery within this time period = 30 - 1.
Chance of dying in a plane crash within this period = approx 100,000 - 1

Your "death lottery" insurance wouldn't look too good in that light would it? ;-)
Are planes getting less safe? on 08:31 - Feb 10 with 930 viewsMrSwerve

What is the death rate for travelling in a bus?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Are planes getting less safe? on 10:18 - Feb 10 with 919 viewsDyfnant

Are planes getting less safe? on 08:31 - Feb 10 by MrSwerve

What is the death rate for travelling in a bus?

Lower in the UK than the Middle East I expect

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024